WIP thread New Users Contest - July 2013

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Heading to the Beach Update

Okay. Here it is again with some tweaks to posing and lights.

Heading_to_the_Beach_15.jpg
    600 x 600 - 276K
  • HitManWAHitManWA Posts: 152
    edited December 1969

Title - Fun in the Sun? Seriously?

Suggestions?

FunInTheSun.jpg
    800 x 700 - 328K
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

This is the first WIP-version. I guess "Why I train" would be as good a title as any :)

The poses are either from scratch, or modified presets. The bald guy has a modified skin texture; both trousers have jeans shaders on them. The top of the girl in front has a texture shader, too. Lights is one Distant Light (pale yellow), and an Uber Area Light. I haven't done anything with the hair, yet.

Ideas on what to improve?

sonnenspass.jpg
    799 x 532 - 461K
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    WIP - fun in the sun
    bring my ice tea please

:D Well, your render is very cool, but then, you aren't really a newb at this, are you... :)

edited December 1969

Heading to the Beach Update

Okay. Here it is again with some tweaks to posing and lights.

That's, imho, much better than the earlier version. Personally, I'd consider having the woman relax a bit - she's standing a bit stiffly, I think.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited July 2013

It does look better. As for the woman standing, I personally think she looks fine. Some women stand more poised then others, especially if they've had dance training such as ballet.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    It does look better. As for the woman standing, I personally think she looks fine. Some women stand more poised then others, especially if they've had dance training such as ballet.

Yeah and some men also. My late husband always stood with a very military posture after 17 years in the army, even when he reached retirement age and had been out for 30 years..

edited December 1969

It was just a thought, not a big issue really :)

edited December 1969

All the feedback and different perspectives are really appreciated. :)

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

The girl sitting in the"Why I Train" should NOT be wearing green shorts if she's sitting in green grass. Looks like the groin is just invisible and the grass is showing. Put her in hot pink, hot yellow, hot anything-but-green shorts. *smile*

edited July 2013

Novica said:
    The girl sitting in the"Why I Train" should NOT be wearing green shorts if she's sitting in green grass. Looks like the groin is just invisible and the grass is showing. Put her in hot pink, hot yellow, hot anything-but-green shorts. *smile*

Good point! I have a rather limited selection of modern clothing, but I have an idea how to deal with this one. I'll tackle it this weekend. Thanks for the pointer!

cheers,
    Tobias

Post edited by TobiasG on
    edited December 1969

Novica said:

Good point! I have a rather limited selection of modern clothing, but I have an idea how to deal with this one. I'll tackle it this weekend. Thanks for the pointer!

cheers,
    Tobias

Tobias, just go in to the Surfaces and change the diffuse to a dark blue, dark brown, (would get you an olive green though) or dark red, etc.

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,161
    edited December 1969

Here's an idea that I knocked out earlier this week. I'm calling it 'Dragon Burst' for now.

Dragon_Burst.jpg
    574 x 660 - 147K
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818
    edited December 1969

This theme was.. complicated *smiles* so open that it almsot made it hard *winks* Either way, after trying and discarding several ideas.. and than deciding which idea to try the next and so on.. I Finally managed to come up with a first draft of a render, I'm not satisfied with this one truth to be told, but atleast it is a first draft.

The adult dog is posed from scratch, the pup I used a premade pose and tweaked it (still need lots more work), Kielan is a base morph which I tweaked to not only make him fit with the adult dog better but to also hold that basket and look out more actively towards the pup and what is in front of the pup.

So far I haven't used any shaders or any of my own texture, and there's big risk I simply scratch this one and remake it completely.. but we will see.

Beach Dogs.... cause dogs does not always come with four legs *smirks*

beachdogspw.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 249K
    edited December 1969

Carola...Love the puppy, your guy and the whole scene. Something bothers me about the big dog. Is he/she supposed to be trying to get to the puppy or is he/she just watching the puppy?

edited December 1969

Carola...Love the puppy, your guy and the whole scene. Something bothers me about the big dog. Is he/she supposed to be trying to get to the puppy or is he/she just watching the puppy?

Thanks Kismet *smiles*

The big dog is suppsoed to only watch the puppy, a little bit like your adult dog watch the new pup with a hint of.. "oh no.. CAN that little hyper ball please CALM down.. though he is funny to watch" kind of expression. Thats what I tried to aim for *smiles*

One thing that bothers me a lot is that neither the puppy or the big dog, has any sort of morphs on the ears. Which makes a lot of expressions for them to be strange, since a lot of a dogs expression is in their ears too. (I have the Daz Puppy LE and the Millenium Dog LE, so that might be an issure, I haven't been able tobuy the full versions yet. If anyone have the full versions, could you please look if it is possible to change the ears at all on them?)

I'll see what I can do with the big dog *smiles warmly*

• keshkesh Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Carola O: Hi there, imo the poses and composition look fine, and the concept is nice; I wouldn't change much on those, or even anything. What imo needs some serious work is lighting, infact you are using some light source coming from approximately high left behind the camera, while your background has the sun possibly on the right in front of the camera (by the brighter zone in the sky). That makes the render look artificial now and does not help blending the characters into the scene. Finally, but this is just personal taste, I'd prefer a rectangular panoramic framing rather than a square picture; again that is only personal taste though.

On the lighting side, in a deeper tech way: the best way to make a rendered scene blend with a pre-rendered ambient (or in the simple case a background picture) would be to use as ambient light source a HDRI probe that replicates the background image (or is very similar to it). Now, being new to Daz studio, i'm not sure if this is an easy way to go (but i've seen something that can work in the uberlight section). Here is a short article about HDRi probes http://cgnotebook.com/wiki/Create_an_HDRi_Light_Probe and there are many sites dealing with how to convert any picture in a 'fake' light probe for further using those as ambient light sources in 3d rendering.

edited December 1969

Heya, I personally prefer the wider view as well, but used the square on this since the multiplane background isn't very wide and it gave off some strange shadows on the rounded wall to the left of the picture.

I do have ambient light in the form of UE2 on this, might have to raise the intensity a little perhaps. As for the light probe thingie.. most of that article I just skim read, simply cause I don't have three out of four items needed to make that light probe, and I don't think my camera qualifies for the kind of camera they said to use. I have a very simple digital camera, which doesn't even have a tripod or a cable release available for it. And a chrome ball, is something I haven't even heard about nor ever seen in any store at all. And I also isn't able to actually go out and buy all the things needed, a camera isn't exactly cheap after all *smiles*

I'll look over the lighting again though, move it around a little and perhaps change colors and such again. I admit I kinda missed that the multiplane were indicating where the sun might be *ponders out loud*

edited July 2013

Carola O said:

Thanks Kismet *smiles*

The big dog is suppsoed to only watch the puppy, a little bit like your adult dog watch the new pup with a hint of.. "oh no.. CAN that little hyper ball please CALM down.. though he is funny to watch" kind of expression. Thats what I tried to aim for *smiles*

One thing that bothers me a lot is that neither the puppy or the big dog, has any sort of morphs on the ears. Which makes a lot of expressions for them to be strange, since a lot of a dogs expression is in their ears too. (I have the Daz Puppy LE and the Millenium Dog LE, so that might be an issure, I haven't been able tobuy the full versions yet. If anyone have the full versions, could you please look if it is possible to change the ears at all on them?)

I'll see what I can do with the big dog *smiles warmly*

It could be the ears. Dog's faces can express so much emotion. Unfortunately I do not have the full version of Millennium Dog so I do not know if the ears are adjustable. :)

Or, as Kesh has indicated, it could have been the lighting that seemed out of place.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited July 2013

Some changes in the poses, for the puppy and the adult dogs. Tried to make the adult dog look happier and also shifted his head so instead of looking at the pup he is more looking ahead of the pup while still having the pup in his line of sight. Basically looking at the same thing that the pup and Kielan is looking at...

Lighting has also changed, removed the oens I had and made them anew basically. Different colors, angles and also intensities. Also changed from the square to a somewhat wider angle.

And decided to use one of my own photos as texture on Kielans pants.. looks more lose and free now I think *smiles*

Anyhow.. Beach Dogs (take two)

beachdogs2pw.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 205K
    Post edited by Carola O on
    edited July 2013

Carola O said:
    Some changes in the poses, for the puppy and the adult dogs. Tried to make the adult dog look happier and also shifted his head so instead of looking at the pup he is more looking ahead of the pup while still having the pup in his line of sight. Basically looking at the same thing that the pup and Kielan is looking at...

Lighting has also changed, removed the oens I had and made them anew basically. Different colors, angles and also intensities. Also changed from the square to a somewhat wider angle.

And decided to use one of my own photos as texture on Kielans pants.. looks more lose and free now I think *smiles*

Anyhow.. Beach Dogs (take two)

The new textures on the pants really work. They look worn and very comfortable and have the added bonus of not blending in with the coat of the adult dog. I like the new position on the adult dog's head.

Wish I could spend an afternoon on that beach.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • SerjSerj Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

Hi Everybody!

Trying to create my own work for this contest. I am working with DAZ Studio just few months so please don't be very critical. :) Anyhow comments and suggestions are highly appreciated!

Title: Enjoying the life!
    DAZ Studio render.

jas_water_17.png
    800 x 550 - 454K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Not really a WIP for the contest, as I consider myself an experienced Carrara user, but what's a Fun in the Sun thread without a bikini car wash?

For those that are interested and have Carrara, but haven't really cracked it open, hopefully this will give a little inspiration and incentive. ;-) The beaded water on the bathing suits (for instance) is a surface replicator that replicates tiny little sphere primitives with a simple water shader. The puddle on the ground is a very simple Spline model with the same water shader.

I made the hose and I have made it available at ShareCG. Sorry, it's a Carrara only object due to it's rigging and procedural shaders.
    http://www.ShareCG.com/v/67272/view/5/3D-Model/Carrara-Rigged-Garden-Hose

Bikini-Car-wash-GI.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Hi Everybody!

Trying to create my own work for this contest. I am working with DAZ Studio just few months so please don't be very critical. :) Anyhow comments and suggestions are highly appreciated!

DAZ Studio render.

I love the 'toon effect you've got going with this one!

edited December 1969

Hi Everybody!

DAZ Studio render.

I really like the whimsical feel of this one.

edited December 1969

This is my 2nd entry to this month's contest.

I am still working on the lighting for the 1st entry and I have had the idea for this one for about a week and just had to get it out.

Title: Bubbles

Program: Daz3d

Bubbles_2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 185K
    edited December 1969

She's so cute Kismet, in a sense she looks like she is thinking of something and only absently blowing the bubbles, not sure if that was what you went for or not. But that's the impression I got from her *smiles*

and thanks for your comment on Beach Dogs, I agree.. would also love to be on That beach *grins*

edited December 1969

Hi Everybody!

DAZ Studio render.

Very adorable details- nicely done!
    Okay, suggestion- you might want to soften the light a TAD- turn down the intensity just a bit- and that might help on that foot that is farthest away from us. It's lacking a bit of detail due to a bit of "glare." Guessing where your light source is, that should also soften the face just a bit, but still give a sunny feeling.

But the pose is just simply adorable, all the elements support each other nicely- the feel of the image is apparent quickly. I just want to kick back and jump in the water and float with her!

edited December 1969

Not really a WIP for the contest, as I consider myself an experienced Carrara user, but what's a Fun in the Sun thread without a bikini car wash?

You wouldn't perchance be the one in the car, lol?
    Made me smile. Don't know who is having more fun in the scene!
    I have Carrara but haven't touched it. I gotta figure out DS first. (Years later....)
    I've always been a fan of yours. LOVE your art!
    Cathie

edited December 1969

This is my 2nd entry to this month's contest.

I am still working on the lighting for the 1st entry and I have had the idea for this one for about a week and just had to get it out.

Title: Bubbles

Program: Daz3d

Right on!
    Love your depth of field and her concentration on blowing that PERFECT bubble!