Using Shaders on Props

MaxHancockMaxHancock Posts: 226
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I created a prop (a car) in Hexagon and brought it into DAZ studio with no problems. It renders as expected. For some reason, I can not add a shader to it. How come?

I can add shaders to store bought props and figures without any problems. It seems primitives and custom made objects can't have shaders applied to them and I would like to know why. Can anyone help? Is there a workaround to this problem?

Thank you,

Max

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Did you UV Map the car?

• MaxHancockMaxHancock Posts: 226
    edited December 1969

Hi,

Yes, the model is fully textured and UV mapped. Here is a render of the Car in DAZ... This was imported from an Obj. format. Model was made in Hexagon.

m.

test-render.png
    846 x 742 - 390K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

It may sound like a stupid question and one which you may be well aware of but you did select the surfaces of the car when you tried appling the shaders? And which shaders are they?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

oh and nice modeling there.

edited December 1969

Excellent modeling job!!!

What exactly are you trying to apply to it in DAZ Studio?

edited December 1969

Hello,

Yes, I normally select the figure and prop in the scene, and then select the surfaces i want shaded under the Surface Tab/Editor... The Shader option won't show of course unless you first select the surfaces you want shaded. Anyway, from there I go to Files under Smart Content and select the Shader I want to apply.

Attached is a DAZ prop that I purchased and applied the shader I wanted. The shader I am using is called "Visual Style Shaders"

I'm thinking that I need to convert my model into a native DAZ format? I made clothing before... but never tried the shader on it. I can't seem to import my custom clothing and AutoFit it to the character anymore, but that's another issue. :/

Thanks for any help!

Max

test1-1.jpg
    900 x 900 - 201K
    edited December 1969

Hmmm, I dont have those shaders. I can only wonder if the car is somehow not being selected in the scene.

edited December 1969

Hi Mattymanx,

Thank you for your compliments! And your advice. I keep trying to sell stuff to DAZ and they keep turning me down. I quit. They copied one of my products (after I submitted it) and sold it as their own original, which made me very mad... I don't submit things to them anymore because of that. But, again that's a different issue.

I'm guessing that you have successfully added shaders of any kind to imported custom props? Let me know. I can't even add a shader to a primitive made in DAZ, which is odd to me.

I'm definitely selecting it correctly... like I said, other store bought props can have shaders applied to them.

Thanks,

Max

edited December 1969

Are there any textures on the car or is it all diffuse colours?

Have you tried the car in Poser or Carrara or any other 3D app?

Do you have any other DS shaders you could try such the Poseworks shaders (pwSurface2, pwEffect, pwGhost, ect... )

edited December 1969

Hi Mattymanx,

The model is using mostly diffuse colors, but there are bump map images and textures for the lights and seats, and dashboard etc. being used...

Do you have a shader you can test with on an imported prop? Have you gotten it to work? Are you using the latest DAZ software? I am using the latest.

I do have other shaders I can test with... however, I can't see the option to apply the shader as I normally would so I can't apply any shaders.

Thanks,

m.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738
    edited December 1969

Have you tried finding the shader in the Content Library pane, rather than the Surfaces pane? It may be a Smart Content issue.

edited December 1969

SUCCESS! It works... thank you all. That was the issue. If I navigate to the Shader folder from the Content Library instead, I am able to see the shader and apply it. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I do believe it's a Smart Content, meta data issue.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Max

test-shader-to-OBJ.png
    705 x 690 - 217K
  • ElspathElspath Posts: 180
    edited December 1969

I just gotta say that if you release that car, let me know!!! That is AMAZABALLS!

• hermana5hermana5 Posts: 0
    edited July 2013

Hi Max - forgive any errors i am still new and playing! But i do have the Visual Style Shaders and i am able to use them on primitives- i loaded a primitive from "everyday morphing primitives" and also a sphere via Create a primitive and both took the shaders.........as a newbie i haven't touched any settings so if you need to see anything from my screen shout up i can add screen shots....eventually
    or if you need me to alter anything let me know

see you are sorted- brilliant (smile)

Post edited by hermana5 on
    edited December 1969

Hi hermana5,

I got it to work by choosing the shader from the Content Library tab rather than the Smart Content tab.... if you got a primitive to work with the Smart Content, I'd like to know, but it's not very important now that the issue is resolved.

Thank you!