Another DS4 headache ...

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I was just saying, in another thread, how I had just gotten DS4.6 to work right, and it turns around and makes me a liar ...

I went to load a character that was fine, yesterday, and this is what loads:

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

They may just not be where the angle is pointing. Select the figure you want to look at, and click that icon in the viewport that looks like 4 corners with a + in the middle.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    They may just not be where the angle is pointing. Select the figure you want to look at, and click that icon in the viewport that looks like 4 corners with a + in the middle.

Lol ... I know that. Nothing is centering or showing up. I can see it's there, but see nothing in view.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,211
    edited December 1969

My 4.5 is doing the same thing. Select your model and apply a pose to it and see if that works or go to parameters and make it bend and see if it then shows up in the4 viewport.

Mine shows when I load, but as I do adjustments I get the white window and either undo or change something is the only thing that brings it back.

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited July 2013

How curious o.0. Do you get anything different if you:

. switch to Surface Selection Tool (looks like three cards with a small pointer in the top-right), or Alt-Shift-M if you can't see it, and try and click something in that white - does it result in any surfaces being selected? (and if so, if you THEN use the Frame button to frame around the object thus selected);

. switch to Wire Bounding Box, or Wireframe view? anything?

. switch to one of the fixed camera views (eg Front View, or Top View) ?

. anything exciting in the Log (Help -> Troubleshooting -> View Log File) just after you load the file?

Post edited by M F M on
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,211
    edited December 1969

LOL nothing quite so exciting. All that happens is I load what I need, then start posing, every so often when I apply a pose the viewport goes white, I either have to hit undo or change the pose to get it back. It's very random and just because it does so with one pose does not mean it will do it with that same pose again. It's also not always with a pose, sometimes it's happening when I change the angel of my view or something like that. I have an older computer (6 yrs older) and that might be the problem.

edited December 1969

nothing when I move the figure
    nothing when I change surface or opacity
    nothing when changing view
    nothing when re-starting doing a complete disc scan

I'm running out of ideas ...

DS4.6 has really cost me a lot of money these past two weeks ...

edited July 2013

Anything ominous-looking in the log?

Also, if you twiddle the "Show Floor" and "Show Center Axes" options on the main display ">=" properties popup - any visible difference?

Have you updated graphics drivers sometime recently?

You can do this reliably with that file I presume? ... what happens if you twiddle under Preferences (F2), Interface, turn off/down everything under the OpenGL: section, specifically (one at a time), the Hardware Anti-aliasing to OFF, Display Optimisation to None, Texture Resources to Performance (or. maybe to the other extreme, 'Quality'...), Pixel Buffer to Off, Multi-Threading to Off?

Any of _those_ make any difference? (if they don't have any visible effect, you might want to set them back to whatever they were originally).

EDIT: another thought - if you delete the items in the scene one by one... does the display _ever_ come back to normal?

Post edited by M F M on
  • VanguardVanguard Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

This has happened to me when I am not using the universal-selector tool thing-a-ma-jig. Sometimes if I am using the surface selector I can't use the camera Frame/Aim to see the scene selected item. I switch to the universal tool and can frame/aim.

edited December 1969

MFM ... marry me ... lol.

Deleting the figure brought the scene back. I tried to use the undo arrow to try and keep it, but it just went white, again. Luckily, I make notes in my scene tab as to what mors/mats and scale I use, so it is easy to replace. Hopefully it won't just do it again ... lol.

Thanks for all the help guys ... I aam still not a fan of DS4+, though ... lol.

Ugh!

edited December 1969

Hmmm... "goes white again" when you undo it... like as if you'd draped a white sheet over the viewing camera (`.`)... well, I'm glad you found a way forward anyway (^_^)d.

edited December 1969

M F M said:
    Hmmm... "goes white again" when you undo it... like as if you'd draped a white sheet over the viewing camera (`.`)... well, I'm glad you found a way forward anyway (^_^)d.

Looks like I spoke to soon. :(

Now, even thoouogh my scene return, upon save even as a new file name, it crashes.

edited December 1969

After further inspection, by deleting one thing at a time, I found out that only deleting my character would remove the white veil. But, just removing the character, and nothing else, I still can't save under a new name.

Do I need to re-install DS4.6 again?

edited July 2013

It would depend on exactly _what_ within the scene file has gotten corrupted / confused, and so is causing the crashing.

I would be surprised if a reinstall was necessary / would fix it... I'm assuming for all of your other scenes, DS4 is still working (or at least, nothing like this is happening) -- therefore, there must be something "special" about _this_ scene that's causing it.

Out of curiosity, does it make any difference to save it as a Scene, or as a Scene Subset? (ie save it out as a new .DUF file instead of a .DAZ...)

Also, did you still need to work on the placement / pose / materials etc? ... can you save out the various parts of the character (ie SaveAs Character Preset, Pose Preset, or Properties Preset), and see if those options work?

Finally, as a time-effort tradeoff, how much work had you put into tweaking this file? do you have any (slightly) older versions saved you can revert to? would it be quicker/less painful to write it off to experience and start from a blank slate again?

(hopefully Richard Haseltine will jump in here with some Sage Wisdom... because I'm running out of ideas as well >_<...).</p>

Post edited by M F M on
  • SilvheSilvhe Posts: 789
    edited December 1969

After further inspection, by deleting one thing at a time, I found out that only deleting my character would remove the white veil. But, just removing the character, and nothing else, I still can't save under a new name.

Why don't you try 4.5, if you still have the installation file saved somewhere?
    I use 4.5 and except for a few crashes when using dynamic clothings, I find it very stable. I don't have tried the 4.6 version, but reading the forums it seems it is more buggy than the previous one
    edited July 2013

M F M said:
    It would depend on exactly _what_ within the scene file has gotten corrupted / confused, and so is causing the crashing.

I would be surprised if a reinstall was necessary / would fix it... I'm assuming for all of your other scenes, DS4 is still working (or at least, nothing like this is happening) -- therefore, there must be something "special" about _this_ scene that's causing it.

That's the hope ... I had a similar issue years ago, and it turned out to be one of the dynamic items causing the crash (never had the white veil, before). I'm hoping re-installing the individual clothes will help, maybe.

M F M said:
    Out of curiosity, does it make any difference to save it as a Scene, or as a Scene Subset? (ie save it out as a new .DUF file instead of a .DAZ...)

I always have saved a scene ... lol ... I didn't know what the other options did ... lol.

M F M said:
    Also, did you still need to work on the placement / pose / materials etc? ... can you save out the various parts of the character (ie SaveAs Character Preset, Pose Preset, or Properties Preset), and see if those options work?

I do need to build more into te scene. I have tried to save out individual parts to merge back into a new scene, but any save attempt crashes in both DS3, where it was originally created, and in DS4.6.

Finally, as a time-effort tradeoff, how much work had you put into tweaking this file? do you have any (slightly) older versions saved you can revert to? would it be quicker/less painful to write it off to experience and start from a blank slate again?

With the author already having appprovad the character study, changing it now would really be detrimental to how I look as a professional But what must be, must be.

(hopefully Richard Haseltine will jump in here with some Sage Wisdom... because I'm running out of ideas as well >_<...). </div>

Any ideas will be helpful :D

Post edited by WillowRaven on
    edited December 1969

Silvhe said:

Why don't you try 4.5, if you still have the installation file saved somewhere?
    I use 4.5 and except for a few crashes when using dynamic clothings, I find it very stable. I don't have tried the 4.6 version, but reading the forums it seems it is more buggy than the previous one

If it doesn't work in DS3 or 4.6, it probably won't work in 4.5, but I can try it. Thanks.