Zombies...the Infected...maybe a bit of both

whispers65whispers65 Posts: 952
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Ok for me the purpose of doing 3d is mainly to illustrate what I write. That's the thought anyway. I end up mainly collecting a lot of stuff and have little to show for it lol. But alas, I'm about to embark on my never ending novel, a zombie/infected one just for fun. I originally wrote one about 4 years ago. I've written 3 novels so far (scifi,horror,romance). Anyway, this one will be strictly for fun and I don't care where it goes but I have all of these "pictures" in my mind. It'll be good for stress relief.

Anyway....this one can be thought of more as fan fiction based upon 28 days later.

I've looked up a lot of "zombie" stuff and as filler and so forth what I see will work fine. But I'm looking to transform a character into an infected character and they still stay recognizable if that makes sense.

I saw an Eye product over at Rendo that looks really good. Has a lot of really creepy eye settings like milk white, red, etc. That'll work great. But what else can I use to make the character look more "infected". I thought of course blood drooling and stuff like that but not quite sure how to pull that off?

Any suggestions? All of this starts out in an airport. I am about ready to purchase - Airport, airplane (complete with seats, etc), and ground support vehicles. So I can get a lot of mileage out of those. I've also seen flight attendants. I haven't seen much in the way of security guards or other "airline" personnel, i.e. flight crew or just people who work at the terminal. Although, I could purchase a suit for the guys and have them all wear the same basic color as the flight attendants.

Anyway sorry for the long explanation. I just want to get basic characters set up, infect them and then start the process of spreading throughout the terminal. I have the Lorenzo and Loretta Lorez bundle so I can dust it off and fill in the Terminal crowd pretty well for supporting characters.

I'm trying to look before I leap this time.

Ideas?

Comments

• EwokzombieEwokzombie Posts: 69
    edited December 1969

There is the Good As Dead 2 Plague that might work for you. http://www.daz3d.com/good-as-dead-2-plague

Other than that I havent seen much at all that doesnt look like a full rotting zombie. There are however some character (body morphs) that have blood coming from their eyes at Renderosity (a make up option) and maybe here as well. Search under vampire. Most of them are for Victoria 4 though.

You might be able to use Real World Heroes Police Officer for your airline security if you want to retexture them a bit.
    http://www.daz3d.com/real-world-heroes-police-officer-m4-h4
    http://www.daz3d.com/real-world-heroes-police-officer-v4-a4-g4

By the way what flight attendant outfit did you find? The one I found was at Renderosity but the skirt was way to high to be considered practical for real world use. Finding clothing for the rest of the airline workers, pilots and even male flight attendants could be hard to do.

I love your story idea since it reminds me of the CG animated Resident Evil Degeneration film that stats off in an airport. With the zombie storyline I am working on, I leaped out of an airlock before putting on the space suit let alone looking where I was going. It was supposed to be just a story but then I said “lets do some renders of the main characters” that now will include renders of some scenes.

Hope the links work.

• whispers65whispers65 Posts: 952
    edited July 2013

Hi...thank you for your time. All of the links were fine. I like the Good as Dead so leaning toward that. I'm a big fan of RawArt as is. :)

I did see the blood stuff at Rendo (I buy lots of stuff over there also) but like you said they were mainly for V4. I have nothing against nothing but like to be diversified. Infected could be male, female, man, woman, child, etc so not sure how much I could do when I saw all of that last night. I did see the vampire one with blood around the mouth last night and did consider it also.

As far as the policemen I looked at those. As much as I would love to be able to texture good, I just can't. I'm trying to learn but still mostly buy everything and still dreaming of the day when I can make some of my own stuff. So it's more a matter of practicality of my abilities.

As far as the Flight Attendant, it's the one by Kobamax? I didn't notice the skirt or don't know how real-world it could or not be. It is funny though because at the beginning of my story it starts with two Flight Attendants who are flirty as is. But I would almost need to have two sets rights? Maybe retexturing would come into play here also.

My basic premise is picked up from this line from 28 Days Later, "Before the TV and radio stopped broadcasting there were reports of infection in Paris and New York. We didn't hear anything more after that.”

So the story starts an airport overseas, an emergency getaway of some sort. A flight from London or somewhere to New York. Let's say an infected gets aboard the plane and they manage to lock it in the restroom or whatever and take off. They do their normal flight to get away from the mess and land in New York. The infected they thought was dead isn't or rises again and thus starts it here in the States.

*** Now I do realize there's a difference between infected and zombies. I've been a zombie fan (read terrified) since I was 10 years old. We were at a drive-in (yes, I'm that old) and there was a preview for Night of the Living Dead. I got really scared and my mom gave me 1/2 of a valium. I don't remember anything after that lol. So I have been kicking around the idea of how the RAGE virus could mutate and re-animate dead bodies also. Just thinking about it.

So I would need two sets of uniforms for their and here? or am I thinking wrong and they wear the same uniforms. I dunno. I never thought about it before.

I'll check out the Resident Evil Animated one. It'd be interesting to see how it starts. I've seen the first couple of Resident Evils.

Just on a side note, I guess I'm more interested in how things start and spread versus here today and all hell tomorrow with no explanation. I mean the explanation doesn't even have to be all that plausible but I'm more interested in how it spreads and builds up to the total chaos if that makes sense.

Post edited by whispers65 on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220
    edited December 1969

I also thought of RE: Degenration once you mentioned the infected and airports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7DPGJ7-Tw4

edited December 1969

I also thought of RE: Degenration once you mentioned the infected and airports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7DPGJ7-Tw4

I just watched. Thanks. I thought it was on Netflix a little while back but just checked and didn't see it. Of course I'm not going to be able to do it justice like that but that is the general idea.

edited December 1969

Yep the Kobamax flight attendant is the one I was thinking of. I wish I saved the link for it but there was a site that had airline uniforms (past and current) and none of the current ones I saw had a hemline that was much above the knee. You might be able to use another outfits skirt or dress to make it more practical. Unless they are from different airlines they wouldnt need different uniform sets since they would wear the same ones where ever they flew. Although in the destination airport you would see a bunch of different uniforms being worn from other airlines either at their boarding areas or walking to or from their flights.

I’m the same way where I have to rely on others to hopefully make things I’m looking for and the textures that I’m after as well. I can dabble a bit on some things but nothing like textures. You might be able to ask someone to help on the textures for the outfits here on the forums, that would include the police uniforms.

Now I’m going to have to rewatch 28 Days Later to catch that bit about the other infection sites. I kind of thought it was localized to the British Isles since we see a plane flying overhead later in the film.

The only problem with the infected on the plane idea I can see is would the pilots continue on to their destination or return to where they came from after the incident on the plane? With the way the air travel industry is these days they just might return or land at a closer airport. I guess it depends on when and how this person gets infected considering on how fast it infects a person and spreads. It might be easier to have a few infected somehow get into the cargo area of the plane and then escaping into the new airport when the cargo/luggage handlers open the doors. *just tossing a few ideas*

Considering how current viruses mutate now, mutating Rage to do reanimate the dead is very workable.

That Resident Evil Degeneration film is more like a sequel to the games with Leon Kennedy and Claire Redfield as the main heroes. Granted the zombies are the typical slower like ones I think you’ll like the airport scenes at the beginning.

lol! I have been working on origin ideas for my zombie apocalypse storyline for a while so I know how it is to think up something like that. Its kind of funny how most of the films don’t really go into how it started, just that it happened.

At least you didnt get inspired for your idea from a song.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

I became intrigued by to youtube comments on that video RawArt linked.
    on how zombies survive, will they rot in a few weeks, how does eating brains help?
    all equally deep questions just like how it all started!

edited December 1969

Now I’m going to have to rewatch 28 Days Later to catch that bit about the other infection sites. I kind of thought it was localized to the British Isles since we see a plane flying overhead later in the film.

The only problem with the infected on the plane idea I can see is would the pilots continue on to their destination or return to where they came from after the incident on the plane? With the way the air travel industry is these days they just might return or land at a closer airport. I guess it depends on when and how this person gets infected considering on how fast it infects a person and spreads. It might be easier to have a few infected somehow get into the cargo area of the plane and then escaping into the new airport when the cargo/luggage handlers open the doors. *just tossing a few ideas*

Considering how current viruses mutate now, mutating Rage to do reanimate the dead is very workable.

lol! I have been working on origin ideas for my zombie apocalypse storyline for a while so I know how it is to think up something like that. Its kind of funny how most of the films don’t really go into how it started, just that it happened.

At least you didnt get inspired for your idea from a song.

For 28 Days Later, you only hear the one line and that's when they are talking to Jim after pulling him off the streets in the beginning. Other than that it appears to be all local on the Isles but if you watch 28 Weeks Later (sequel) **** Spoiler Alert **** it shows everything on the isles too but then at the end it shows infected running and you can see what I believe is the Eiffel Tower in the background.

So that's why I thought of the plane idea. I'm thinking the pilots and Flight attendants believe it is in their best interest to fly to the destination as usual but don't mention their extra cargo fearing the plane would be at worst shot down, etc if word has already gotten out all over the world about the infection (even if localized you usually hear about outbreaks i.e. ebola). In the movie the infection spreads fast. The hard part is explaining why they keep an infected onboard. You know maybe they can see so many infected coming they just shut the doors and go for it. As far as taken the infected captive, maybe some guys throw a blanket on it from behind and whack it a couple of good times and think it is dead or whatever and throw it in one of the restrooms.

On explanations. Yeah I know right? In the remake of the 2004 Dawn of the Dead, which I thought was really good, they say "We don't know" or "I don't know" a lot in the beginning about how it started if I remember correctly. A lot of movies really don't explain it.

Even my sister, who has never followed the genre (her only zombie film ever seen is World War Z recently) said to me about a year ago, "they haven't figured out how it started yet?" LOL. I said not usually although some try. It just goes with the genre. That said I've read some books and have seen several movies where they try to show how it started.

In mine, I just want a "slower" buildup before they lose all control. In the 28 Days Later movie it talks about how the blockades were overran. I'm not into the whole army thing in the least but I want to show advances, maybe TV interrupts at first and not just a short time later and nothing works, electricity is out, they burned everything, etc.

So basically I want to show the in between part from first infection through total chaos and maybe go onto living the life (aka Walking Dead) to eventual rebuilding of society (aka In the Flesh).

This is going to be my never-ending-I-need-a-stress-break project so there's lots to go on.

My other novel took place in Manhattan so I'm thinking about pulling all of that into a major rewrite and adding the material as another perspective. It was written in first person and this will be third so there will be a fair amount of work. I have lots of ideas for the other too but never got around to rewriting it.

edited December 1969

on how zombies survive, will they rot in a few weeks, how does eating brains help?

Yeah there are lots of questions and issues to contemplate. I'm watching a new series (new to me anyway) called "In the Flesh" which delves into issues of treating and trying to reintroduced medicated zombies back into mainstream society. To me, it puts a really good spin on some of the older stuff.

edited December 1969

I had to laugh at some of those comments especially by the one person who thinks all we would have to do is wait it out for about 3 weeks. Not to mention his over use of “eating brains”.

I don’t know how he figures the waiting it out for 3 weeks bit. If zombies rot away after a certain time (something that as far as I’ve seen in movies, really doesnt happen) that wouldnt take into account someone who was recently turned into a zombie. Its an infection that can keep spreading as long as people and zombies are around. Lets also take into account basic needs like food. Just how many of us have 3 weeks or more of food, water and other needed items in our homes for ourselves and family right now? That alone brings out a problem of having to go out to get more, right into possible danger and not just from zombies. If your lucky enough to live way out in the middle of nowhere or on a small island then thats a different situation.

I believe only the Return of the Living Dead films (1 and 2 at least) have the zombies eating brains. They also address why they eat brains in the first film, because it hurts to be dead and eating brains makes the pain go away.

In the Walking Dead as well as Survival of the Dead we see zombies eating a horse. Even in Return of the Living Dead 2 the zombies have an “all the brains you can eat” at a pet shop. Why they need to eat is another question to add to the list.

The origin of how the zombie apocalypse begins is usually unknown in most of movies. In Zombieland it was caused from mad cow disease. Of course for Resident Evil it’s a man-made virus. It may never really get answered.

As for them rotting away, they do that to some degree based on the source. The Walking Dead is a great example where you can see zombies in various forms of decay. Some are more fresh looking than others. Unfortunately you never really get an answer on how long a zombie lasts.

I figure that whatever it is that reanimates the dead may also have something to do with how the bodies continue to survive long after decomposing or the skin mummifies. It could have something to do with why the zombies also have this need to eat despite not having a working digestive system.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

As a 2D illustrator there were two things I really love to draw. One is imaginary machinery. I just love being able to draw all the little fiddly bits or the mechanisms. The other thing I've loved to draw is zombies. Both of these I loved because there was no wrong way to draw them.

Pasta based tentacle monsters on the other hand I hated to draw because there was a lot of monotonous detail involved in them.

Anyway..... here is my Genesis 1 Zombie morph. Feel free to use it for whatever zombie needs you have.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/69688/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Ghastlys-Ghastly-Zombie

edited December 1969

For 28 Days Later, you only hear the one line and that's when they are talking to Jim after pulling him off the streets in the beginning. Other than that it appears to be all local on the Isles but if you watch 28 Weeks Later (sequel) **** Spoiler Alert **** it shows everything on the isles too but then at the end it shows infected running and you can see what I believe is the Eiffel Tower in the background.

So that's why I thought of the plane idea. I'm thinking the pilots and Flight attendants believe it is in their best interest to fly to the destination as usual but don't mention their extra cargo fearing the plane would be at worst shot down, etc if word has already gotten out all over the world about the infection (even if localized you usually hear about outbreaks i.e. ebola). In the movie the infection spreads fast. The hard part is explaining why they keep an infected onboard. You know maybe they can see so many infected coming they just shut the doors and go for it. As far as taken the infected captive, maybe some guys throw a blanket on it from behind and whack it a couple of good times and think it is dead or whatever and throw it in one of the restrooms.

On explanations. Yeah I know right? In the remake of the 2004 Dawn of the Dead, which I thought was really good, they say "We don't know" or "I don't know" a lot in the beginning about how it started if I remember correctly. A lot of movies really don't explain it.

Even my sister, who has never followed the genre (her only zombie film ever seen is World War Z recently) said to me about a year ago, "they haven't figured out how it started yet?" LOL. I said not usually although some try. It just goes with the genre. That said I've read some books and have seen several movies where they try to show how it started.

In mine, I just want a "slower" buildup before they lose all control. In the 28 Days Later movie it talks about how the blockades were overran. I'm not into the whole army thing in the least but I want to show advances, maybe TV interrupts at first and not just a short time later and nothing works, electricity is out, they burned everything, etc.

So basically I want to show the in between part from first infection through total chaos and maybe go onto living the life (aka Walking Dead) to eventual rebuilding of society (aka In the Flesh).

This is going to be my never-ending-I-need-a-stress-break project so there's lots to go on.

My other novel took place in Manhattan so I'm thinking about pulling all of that into a major rewrite and adding the material as another perspective. It was written in first person and this will be third so there will be a fair amount of work. I have lots of ideas for the other too but never got around to rewriting it.

Ok so its more of a story that takes place after 28 Weeks later rather than 28 Days Later. This infected that gets on the plane then becomes the source of the problem for the people on the plane and likely at their destination by either reawakening later on or mutating into a true zombie? Now it makes more sense that the flight crew wont report anything to anyone for fear of being shot down.

I’m sure you’ll figure out the hows and whys of the details sooner or later. Its usually the these little details that can bug you to death. I’m in a rut on just a back story for one of my main character groups.

Setting up the story so it shows how the crap hits the fan for this group, surviving and then the possibilities for rebuilding someplace safe shares a lot in common with a lot of the zombie films out there. The original Dawn of the Dead comes quickly to mind even if it only had 4 survivors.

For the story I’m working on, I have planned a few prologue mini stories that set up the outbreak across the world with a little bit of how it started.

As a 2D illustrator there were two things I really love to draw. One is imaginary machinery. I just love being able to draw all the little fiddly bits or the mechanisms. The other thing I've loved to draw is zombies. Both of these I loved because there was no wrong way to draw them.

Pasta based tentacle monsters on the other hand I hated to draw because there was a lot of monotonous detail involved in them.

Anyway..... here is my Genesis 1 Zombie morph. Feel free to use it for whatever zombie needs you have.

Awesome! Your right on the “you can never have enough of” bit.

edited December 1969

Thank you very much! I checked it out and it looks nice. :)

edited December 1969

In the Walking Dead as well as Survival of the Dead we see zombies eating a horse. Even in Return of the Living Dead 2 the zombies have an “all the brains you can eat” at a pet shop. Why they need to eat is another question to add to the list.

<<<Snip>>>

As for them rotting away, they do that to some degree based on the source. The Walking Dead is a great example where you can see zombies in various forms of decay. Some are more fresh looking than others. Unfortunately you never really get an answer on how long a zombie lasts.

I figure that whatever it is that reanimates the dead may also have something to do with how the bodies continue to survive long after decomposing or the skin mummifies. It could have something to do with why the zombies also have this need to eat despite not having a working digestive system.

Yeah I don't get the whole why zombies need to eat type thing. Infected yeah because they are alive. They just have a virus so I could see them dying of starvation at some point. Zombies, I don't know. I can see the desire to "feed" but not just why it would do them any good.

On the whole decomposing thing. It's funny. I have seen a lot of zombie movies and really haven't thought about decaying at all. I guess I just assumed each one looked that way according to how decomposed they were rotting in the ground. So the longer dead, the more decomposed. The fresher dead, the fresher they looked. I never thought of continuing decay after they were revived.

edited December 1969

Yeah I don't get the whole why zombies need to eat type thing. Infected yeah because they are alive. They just have a virus so I could see them dying of starvation at some point. Zombies, I don't know. I can see the desire to "feed" but not just why it would do them any good.

On the whole decomposing thing. It's funny. I have seen a lot of zombie movies and really haven't thought about decaying at all. I guess I just assumed each one looked that way according to how decomposed they were rotting in the ground. So the longer dead, the more decomposed. The fresher dead, the fresher they looked. I never thought of continuing decay after they were revived.

Maybe the eating is part of the primal needs that drives the living dead. Kind of like how in Dawn of the Dead they speculate that the dead came to the mall because it was an important part of their life. Of course one would have to wonder what other primal needs a zombie may have.

You also have to remember that not all the dead came from being buried. Well at least in a lot of films. I guess decomposing would matter on several factors.

1. When the person died in relation to when whatever it is that causes the recently deceased to come alive hits. Its never really stated just when this event ever happens

2. How they died. A natural death or quick kill (like getting shot) would likely be less gruesome looking than a drowning or a car accident.

3. Environment they died in. I would think if yo died in a hotter environment you might decompose faster than if you died in a more cooler one.

4. The big factor of all, how long it takes for someone who died to come back as a zombie.

If you look at the Resident Evil films, between the third and fourth one there is a 3 year timeline difference yet there are still hundreds of zombies still walking around with no sign of them dropping from decomposing. Of course the T-virus might be the cause of that.

• TheOwlTheOwl Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/hybrid-grunge-bundle-for-daz-studio

You will be needing alot of blood, dirt, rust and ripped up things over your clothes and props so this might help.

edited December 1969

TheOwl said:
    http://www.daz3d.com/hybrid-grunge-bundle-for-daz-studio

You will be needing alot of blood, dirt, rust and ripped up things over your clothes and props so this might help.

Thank you! I have an older product called Grime-inizer or something like that, but it still works. I don't have anything for ripped or tattered clothing though.

edited December 1969

Maybe the eating is part of the primal needs that drives the living dead. Kind of like how in Dawn of the Dead they speculate that the dead came to the mall because it was an important part of their life. Of course one would have to wonder what other primal needs a zombie may have.

You also have to remember that not all the dead came from being buried. Well at least in a lot of films. I guess decomposing would matter on several factors.

1. When the person died in relation to when whatever it is that causes the recently deceased to come alive hits. Its never really stated just when this event ever happens

2. How they died. A natural death or quick kill (like getting shot) would likely be less gruesome looking than a drowning or a car accident.

3. Environment they died in. I would think if yo died in a hotter environment you might decompose faster than if you died in a more cooler one.

4. The big factor of all, how long it takes for someone who died to come back as a zombie.

If you look at the Resident Evil films, between the third and fourth one there is a 3 year timeline difference yet there are still hundreds of zombies still walking around with no sign of them dropping from decomposing. Of course the T-virus might be the cause of that.

I was really curious when I read #4 and immediately thought of Night of the Living Dead (original) and where the little girl dies. Sooooo I downloaded the movie this morning (It's in Public Domain) and listened to it at work (can't watch but we are allowed to listen to stuff. I'm usually just baby sitting a computer anyway and running reports...guilt mode off....and I'm salary and I work about 60 hours a week...soo...). And gleaned some interesting things I had forgotten all about.

1) They are afraid of fire (and they actually used the word fear. I would think zombies would be emotionless)
    2) The outbreak was apparently caused by a mysterious radiation from a satellite that was shot down.
    3) Radiation caused the brain to activate which animated the body, hence shooting them in the head to "kill" them or shut them off.
    4) They become a zombie within minutes after dying. It's shown by the little girl but also verbally stated over the radio announcements or interviews.
    5) The recommendation was to immediately burn the bodies.
    6) Of course these were supposed to be the slow rigor mortis shufflers.
    7) Strength - They argued how strong they were. Jim said he pushed two or three back that they were weak. Another guy said they turned his car over.

Any way it was kind of fun investigating today. I may have to "watch" some more again and pay attention to the details this go around.

edited December 1969

I was really curious when I read #4 and immediately thought of Night of the Living Dead (original) and where the little girl dies. Sooooo I downloaded the movie this morning (It's in Public Domain) and listened to it at work (can't watch but we are allowed to listen to stuff. I'm usually just baby sitting a computer anyway and running reports...guilt mode off....and I'm salary and I work about 60 hours a week...soo...). And gleaned some interesting things I had forgotten all about.

1) They are afraid of fire (and they actually used the word fear. I would think zombies would be emotionless)
    2) The outbreak was apparently caused by a mysterious radiation from a satellite that was shot down.
    3) Radiation caused the brain to activate which animated the body, hence shooting them in the head to "kill" them or shut them off.
    4) They become a zombie within minutes after dying. It's shown by the little girl but also verbally stated over the radio announcements or interviews.
    5) The recommendation was to immediately burn the bodies.
    6) Of course these were supposed to be the slow rigor mortis shufflers.
    7) Strength - They argued how strong they were. Jim said he pushed two or three back that they were weak. Another guy said they turned his car over.

Any way it was kind of fun investigating today. I may have to "watch" some more again and pay attention to the details this go around.

I hope you didnt buy that Good As Dead Plague yet. RawArt products are on sale for a limited time (not sure when it ends) so its on sale for $4.38.

Well the fire thing is kind of a no brainer since almost every monster out there seems to have a respect for fire. Even my two favorite critters from The Thing and Alien have a respect at least for fire. Maybe its another example of whatever makes them alive like the eating thing.

I think the bit you saw with the shooting of the satellite was with them making best guesses on the cause. Kind of like todays news reporters making guesses on every big disaster story they cover. I even think they did that Emergency Broadcast scene in Dawn of the Dead when two of the characters are about to leave the city two “experts” are arguing over what the cause was.

The strength thing can be argued because you have to remember that they don’t really feel pain. They do have a one track mind to eat you. Lol!

The funny thing about the shooting in the head and burning them is that in Return of the Living Dead the head shot doesnt kill them and burning the zombie just makes things worse.

You should do a back to back watching of Night of the Living Dead and the 1990 remake.

Once I finally get caught up on all my shows I have taped, I need to rewatch all my Romero Living Dead films (still need to get Survival of the Dead) and pick up a few other zombie films.

edited December 1969

I hope you didnt buy that Good As Dead Plague yet. RawArt products are on sale for a limited time (not sure when it ends) so its on sale for $4.38.

Well the fire thing is kind of a no brainer since almost every monster out there seems to have a respect for fire. Even my two favorite critters from The Thing and Alien have a respect at least for fire. Maybe its another example of whatever makes them alive like the eating thing.

I think the bit you saw with the shooting of the satellite was with them making best guesses on the cause. Kind of like todays news reporters making guesses on every big disaster story they cover. I even think they did that Emergency Broadcast scene in Dawn of the Dead when two of the characters are about to leave the city two “experts” are arguing over what the cause was.

The strength thing can be argued because you have to remember that they don’t really feel pain. They do have a one track mind to eat you. Lol!

The funny thing about the shooting in the head and burning them is that in Return of the Living Dead the head shot doesnt kill them and burning the zombie just makes things worse.

You should do a back to back watching of Night of the Living Dead and the 1990 remake.

Once I finally get caught up on all my shows I have taped, I need to rewatch all my Romero Living Dead films (still need to get Survival of the Dead) and pick up a few other zombie films.

Not to worry about the sale. I'm on the opposite end so many times that it's depressing to think about so I just go and buy and don't worry. It's not I have all that much money to blow as it is just I'm tired of the micro managing of everything. It's just not worth the worry if I buy something without knowing it will go on sale in a day or two. Oh well. Life is too short for me in this department. So no worries here. I did buy it though the other day.

I like The Thing and Alien too. :)

I don't know that I've seen Return of the Living Dead. I thought it would be like the difference between The Howling and The Howling II - Your sister is a werewolf, all cheese and not much substance so I passed on it.

I may have seen the 1990 Remake of Night of the Living Dead. I was home sick one day and was trying to see what was on cable and saw it was Night of the Living Dead but newer than what I saw before. At any rate, in my current state of investigation, I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

I haven't seen Survival of the Dead either. The last movie I saw recently (again) was Land of the Dead which I really like. I've seen it twice recently and could go for it again.

edited December 1969

Not to worry about the sale. I'm on the opposite end so many times that it's depressing to think about so I just go and buy and don't worry. It's not I have all that much money to blow as it is just I'm tired of the micro managing of everything. It's just not worth the worry if I buy something without knowing it will go on sale in a day or two. Oh well. Life is too short for me in this department. So no worries here. I did buy it though the other day.

I don't know that I've seen Return of the Living Dead. I thought it would be like the difference between The Howling and The Howling II - Your sister is a werewolf, all cheese and not much substance so I passed on it.

I may have seen the 1990 Remake of Night of the Living Dead. I was home sick one day and was trying to see what was on cable and saw it was Night of the Living Dead but newer than what I saw before. At any rate, in my current state of investigation, I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

I haven't seen Survival of the Dead either. The last movie I saw recently (again) was Land of the Dead which I really like. I've seen it twice recently and could go for it again.

I think you would like Return of the Living Dead1 and 2 at least and maybe 3. They kind of have it set up that the events of Night of the Living Dead were actually real and the government used the movie to cover up the outbreak and had Romero change a lot of the real details to his movie.

You can get infected by a gas that is in the canisters the zombies are stored in that turns you into a zombie over time. It has the same effects as getting bit. Burning the zombies will also create a gas that makes it rain. The rain is soaked in the stuff so when it falls and seeps into the ground it reanimates every corpse buried in a cemetery.

The second one is more of a comedy but still is fun to watch. I havent seen the 3rd one in a long while but its more darker than the first ones and focuses on the female lead trying to fight her zombie urges through pain. Sort of a boy meets girl, girl dies, boy turns her into a zombie to have her back, girl eats everyone story.

Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis and Return of the Living Dead: Rave to the Grave are just bad. I saw them a while ago on the Sci-Fi channel (SyFy channel I think was still called Sci-Fi back then) but if you really like ‘B’ movies then check them out.

• FuselingFuseling Posts: 242
    edited December 1969

Thanks ghastly! That is neat.

Zombie apocalypse is always a fun topic. I think my older sister and I literally spend several hours talking about this in a normal (for a given value of normal) week. We've come to the conclusion that how long the zombies last realistically depends on how science based vs magic/ mythology based your zombies are. If you want to do magic/ mythology you can pretty much make up your own rules. If you want to do science, how it works depends on how strict you are about sticking to real science. Most of the time zombie narrative sort of throws out some scientific sounding words and then makes up whatever rules work for the story in question, which I think is really okay because it takes away from the fun of zombie stories if you try to stick with real science too much.

I think what's really important is coming up with a workable rule set for your zombies that makes them interesting, not too weak but not too powerful, and then making sure your story follows your own rules and the human characters act like reasonable humans too.

• FuselingFuseling Posts: 242
    edited December 1969

On a related topic, I think I will start a zombie and undead render thread for those here who are interested.

• lface8lface8 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

The 1990 remake is pretty tame for a zombie film. By today's standards, it could be a PG-13 rated film. As far as Return of the Living Dead being cheese......it kind of is, but it's a good mixture of horror and comedy which it shares with the more recent Shaun of the Dead.

As far as Survival of the Dead goes, it doesn't really connect with Romero's previous trilogy (Night, Dawn, Day.) It's part of a newer series, (Land, Diary, Survival) which I personally see as the inferior portion of Romero's work. With his earlier films, Romero had relevant social commentaries, but the later ones just kind of fell flat in that department.

One of the most powerful lines of dialogue from his films was said by Ken Foree. "When there's no more room in hell, the dead shall walk the earth." which he repeated in the Dawn remake that was directed by Zack Snyder.

Really, my post has nothing to do with a lot of things. I just like chatting about horror films. :P

edited December 1969

lface8 said:
    The 1990 remake is pretty tame for a zombie film. By today's standards, it could be a PG-13 rated film. As far as Return of the Living Dead being cheese......it kind of is, but it's a good mixture of horror and comedy which it shares with the more recent Shaun of the Dead.

As far as Survival of the Dead goes, it doesn't really connect with Romero's previous trilogy (Night, Dawn, Day.) It's part of a newer series, (Land, Diary, Survival) which I personally see as the inferior portion of Romero's work. With his earlier films, Romero had relevant social commentaries, but the later ones just kind of fell flat in that department.

One of the most powerful lines of dialogue from his films was said by Ken Foree. "When there's no more room in hell, the dead shall walk the earth." which he repeated in the Dawn remake that was directed by Zack Snyder.

Really, my post has nothing to do with a lot of things. I just like chatting about horror films. :P

I "listened" to the 1990 remake today and maybe I was in a bad mood or whatever but I was like can she scream and over-dramatize it any more?

Anyway, it wasn't a good "listening" movie. Some are better than others. So I will be fair and actually watch it again, probably tomorrow. I don't like watching at night. I have too many zombie nightmares as is lol.

I also "listened" to 2008 Day of the Dead, which I don't think has anything to do with the other in the least, but from the sound of it, I kind of liked it so will watch it also.

I really like the remake for Dawn. True story here. Both times I've watched Dawn was early on a Saturday morning. I'm in the living room watching TV. I live in an apartment. The patio door is behind me or rather off to my side. The sun was shining and I see a shadow each time and I jump. Both times it was a stray cat lol. That movie seriously gave me the case of the creeps.

edited December 1969

fuseling said:
    On a related topic, I think I will start a zombie and undead render thread for those here who are interested.

I saw the thread. I may come up with something but I'm glad I saw the part about "non-violent". Glad I didn't slip. I'm not into violence in the least really but usually with a zombie render it isn't exactly peaceful.

But it looks like it could be fun.

• lface8lface8 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

lface8 said:

I also "listened" to 2008 Day of the Dead, which I don't think has anything to do with the other in the least, but from the sound of it, I kind of liked it so will watch it also.

I snipped a lot just so I could comment on this. DO NOT! I repeat, DO NOT pay any merit to the Day of the Dead remake. It lacks the punch the original (1985) had. If you're a fan of John Carpenter's "The Thing" Romero's 85 Day of the dead has a similar feel in terms of the "trapped" feeling. Plus, the 85 original had arguably the most memorable zombie (he and the Tar Man from Return of the Living Dead can be debated forever) of all time in Bub. Such a nice twist to have a sympathetic zombie. Romero's Day of the Dead remains my personal favorite zombie film of all time.

Don't get me started on 28 Days Later and how I view them......

edited December 1969

lface8 said:
    I snipped a lot just so I could comment on this. DO NOT! I repeat, DO NOT pay any merit to the Day of the Dead remake. It lacks the punch the original (1985) had. If you're a fan of John Carpenter's "The Thing" Romero's 85 Day of the dead has a similar feel in terms of the "trapped" feeling. Plus, the 85 original had arguably the most memorable zombie (he and the Tar Man from Return of the Living Dead can be debated forever) of all time in Bub. Such a nice twist to have a sympathetic zombie. Romero's Day of the Dead remains my personal favorite zombie film of all time.

Don't get me started on 28 Days Later and how I view them......

Well to me, in my opinion, nothing I've seen ever compares to the original and I try not to watch stuff on a comparative basis. I try and let everything stand on its own merit. I guess I'm spoiled that way. I really can't think of any movie that was remade that I liked just as well or better than the original, not just in horror but any film. So subconsciously, I'm doing comparisons and they usually just don't measure up. That said though, sometimes the remakes are entertaining in themselves. Since I'm in a dead mood, I'll revisit the Day of the Dead. I have all of the movies, finding them is another story lol.

edited December 1969

Well in all fairness about the only good thing they did for Day of the Dead (2008) was how they handled Bud. I kind of liked the vegetarian twist and how it apparently stayed with him as a zombie. I trudged through the film and nearly turned it off when I saw the zombies crawling on the walls and ceiling in a scene.

I do own the dvd to Day of the Dead (2008) and to make things worse I own Day of the Dead 2: Contagium. On a related note I own House of the Dead and Night of the living Dead 3D as well.
    I’m a glutton for punishment...