HU - if sitting on the fence about 'buying' D/S4.6

patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Check the page ... if it's still free, "buy it fast".

http://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-4-pro

Showing up in search results as no longer free. Will cost $249.95

Comments

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Interesting it says:

Please install the provided Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials
    Not mentioning Genesis..

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

anikad said:
    Interesting it says:

Please install the provided Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials
    Not mentioning Genesis..

Yes it does, scroll the very long Description text right down to the bottom and you'll see a reminder to d/l the Genesis Starter Essentials along with the Photoshop and GoZ Bridge installers.

Mind you, that text still has a couple mentions of D|S4.5 left in it, so...

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Weird. It still shows as free on the gallery page @ http://www.daz3d.com/software/daz-studio-4/
    Wonder why it only shows the price using search.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Bryce 7 Pro and Hex went back to for pay apps and it's always been labelled as free for a limited time so maybe the limited time is coming to an end.

Since they made the Pro version free, they dropped the standard and advanced versions. The web version and the free lite version were never released. Wonder if they will go back to offering the standard, advanced and pro versions or if they will only offer the Pro version.

Possible precursor to the release of DS5?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Daz 3D has always guaranteed that there will be a free version of DS.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

I'm not seeing anything other than a marketing ploy. They sell too much content to go to a paid version. Giving the studio away and selling a lot more products is working well for them, I don't see it changing anytime soon. Just my opinion.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

But they also guaranteed when I bought DS 4 Pro during the introductory offer period that it would never be sold at a cheaper rate than that offer price... so yeah, guarantees can be fickle at times.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,725
    edited December 1969

I wouldn't bet against that being another glitch - I'll point it out.

edited December 1969

Actually the original promise when DS was announced was that DS would remain free so long as content sales supported it.

The original plan for DS4 was a 5 tier system. A web-only version, a free lite version, a standard version, an advanced and a pro version. The last three were to be for pay.

Yes, they may have said there would be a free version. They just don't guarantee what version would be free.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

I wouldn't bet against that being another glitch - I'll point it out.

Wouldn't surprize me at all. Shopping today was a bit of a challenge. Put one item in and it threw everything else out! hmm ....

Think I was doing the search that netted the $D/S was about the time Fastgrab or something was being updated. An hour later and the very same search term turned up an entirely different page. Searches in the shop can sure be funny sometimes as totally unrelated items show up.

As they do still say "temporarily", it's very possible one day Pro will go back to $ but yes, they'd need to release a 'standard' or something to be the free edition. I hope they keep Pro free myself. It's way more fun with the CC tools.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

but yes, they'd need to release a 'standard' or something to be the free edition.

Back when D|S4 Pro was still paid-for, there were never actual different versions to be downloaded — the Pro features were permanently unlocked by entering the Pro serial number, otherwise they were disabled after a 30-day trial period. Unless things have changed, and I haven't heard anything about this, it's probably still the same now.
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

but yes, they'd need to release a 'standard' or something to be the free edition.

Back when D|S4 Pro was still paid-for, there were never actual different versions to be downloaded — the Pro features were permanently unlocked by entering the Pro serial number, otherwise they were disabled after a 30-day trial period. Unless things have changed, and I haven't heard anything about this, it's probably still the same now.

It's been awhile ;-)

edited December 1969

DAZ never released the web only version and free lite edition of their original 5 tier plan.

The DS4 Standard was released first. Autofit was a separate purchase. A few months later they released DS4 Advanced and Pro. Advanced had an upgrade version as well for those who had purchased DS3A.