luxrender and shader mix

ZenrelZenrel Posts: 245
edited December 1969 in New Users

Does anyone know how to show the mix shaders I created to appear in Luxrender? I tried adjust specular, but that doesn't work it it keep showing the object as a gray color or any shade of gray if I mess around with colors.

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Surfaces that use shaders other than 'the usual suspects' of DAZ standard and HSS (and maybe UberSurface) do not tend to get converted to LuxRender.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited December 1969

Zenrel,

Lux is not Renderman compliant. Shaders are script files that a Renderman compliant software can understand and use to determine what color a particular pixel will be. DAZ Studio uses a Renderman compliant software called 3Delight.

• ZenrelZenrel Posts: 245
    edited July 2013

So, in order to get the color/design I want, I have to get the UV map and use photoshop or something like that? I really like this render since it have this real look, but what other render programs that have the Renderman compliant?

Post edited by Zenrel on
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited December 1969

Zenrel said:
    So, in order to get the color/design I want, I have to get the UV map and use photoshop or something like that? I really like this render since it have this real look, but what other render programs that have the Renderman compliant?

Yes.
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Zenrel said:

As mentioned before, Luxrender is an entirely different render engine and uses completely different materials. Luxus allows you to create mix materials, but it requires a bit more savvy than your average shader and a knowledge of Luxrender's inner workings. If you're willing to share your shader information, or at least the basics, either myself or someone here can suggest a way to get the same effect in Luxus or Reality.
    edited July 2013

Here's what I have for one of the mixers. I only use the basic textures I got and apply the mix coloring.

shader.jpg
    1536 x 864 - 154K
    Post edited by Zenrel on
    edited July 2013

Here's a fully procedural texture you can use to get a similar effect. To use it, add the Luxus material to the surface using the 'Extra Settings only' option then copy and paste the code into the box supplied. Note that this version makes a very shiny surface for aesthetics purposes, but if you want a more rough surface, then increase the uroughness and vroughness values in "material0" and "material1" to compensate. These values should not equal or exceed 1, since it's effectively a percentage displayed as a fraction and 1 would mean super matte an 'impossible' material by real world standards.

Incidentally, you can also keep one half shiny and the other half matte for interesting visual effects if you only alter the roughness in one of the two materials.

Texture "fltBands" "float" "blender_wood"
     "string type" ["bands"]

Texture "pnkBands" "color" "constant" "color value" [1.0 0.0 0.0]

Texture "pplBands" "color" "constant" "color value" [0.0 0.0 1.0]

MakeNamedMaterial "material0"
     "texture Kd" ["pnkBands"]
     "texture Ks" ["pnkBands"]
     "float index" [0]
     "float uroughness" [0.001]
     "float vroughness" [0.001]
     "color Ka" [0.5 0.5 0.5]
     "float d" [0]
     "string type" ["glossy"]

MakeNamedMaterial "material1"
     "texture Kd" ["pplBands"]
     "texture Ks" ["pplBands"]
     "float index" [0]
     "float uroughness" [0.001]
     "float vroughness" [0.001]
     "color Ka" [0.5 0.5 0.5]
     "float d" [0]
     "string type" ["glossy"]

MakeNamedMaterial "surface0"
     "string type" ["mix"]
     "string namedmaterial1" ["material0"]
     "string namedmaterial2" ["material1"]
     "texture amount" ["fltBands"]

NamedMaterial "surface0"

Note than in my version I've changed the colours to red and blue so it's more visible, but you can swap it back to your pinkish shades easily enough by replacing these two lines:

Texture "pnkBands" "color" "constant" "color value" [1.0 0.0 0.0]

Texture "pplBands" "color" "constant" "color value" [0.0 0.0 1.0]

With these ones:
    Texture "pnkBands" "color" "constant" "color value" [1.0 0.0 1.0]

Texture "pplBands" "color" "constant" "color value" [0.5 0.0 1.0]

Hope this helps :)
    Luxrender_procedural_2.jpg
    400 x 400 - 198K
    Luxrender_procedural.jpg
    400 x 400 - 192K
    Post edited by Herald of Fire on
    edited December 1969

Yay! It works! Thanks!

If I want to change textures, what part of the script I can change to do that? Is there a list I can look at that tells me the name/inputs of textures?

edited July 2013

Zenrel said:
    Yay! It works! Thanks!

If I want to change textures, what part of the script I can change to do that? Is there a list I can look at that tells me the name/inputs of textures?

Textures are a little more tricky. You'll notice there are two materials listed as part of the mix called Material0 and Material1. Each of these is basically just a glossy shader (glossy is a Luxrender specific material type) set to have low roughness for the sheen and each uses a single colour for simplicity.

If you want to recreate the same effect using textures, simply plug textures into the pnkBands and pplBands textures. Here's an example below along with the code you need to change. Replace Yourfilename.jpg with the name and full path to the file you want to use.

Texture "pnkBands" "color" "imagemap"
     "float vscale" [-1]
     "string filename" ["Yourfilename1.jpg"]

Texture "pplBands" "color" "imagemap"
     "float vscale" [-1]
     "string filename" ["Yourfilename2.jpg"]
    d5.png
    400 x 400 - 257K
    Post edited by Herald of Fire on
    edited December 1969

I found this

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Scene_file_format#Materials

You think it's a good reference to look into? I manage to change the bands into clouds so far without any problems and I'm about to try out your "imagemap"

And finally, I want to say thank you so much for all this help and very useful information, Herald. I learned a lot today and finally get things I want to show! *smile*

edited December 1969

Zenrel said:
    I found this

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Scene_file_format#Materials

You think it's a good reference to look into? I manage to change the bands into clouds so far without any problems and I'm about to try out your "imagemap"

And finally, I want to say thank you so much for all this help and very useful information, Herald. I learned a lot today and finally get things I want to show! *smile*

It's always useful to know a little more about the render engine you're using, so it won't hurt to try and absorb as much of that information as you can. I've gotten to a stage where I can practically write the entire output by hand aside from the polygon data, but then I'm a tweaker. I love to get under the hood of these engines and see what revs they can do. Oddly enough, I have Reality to thank for knowing most of this stuff. My wanting to use the unsupported cloth material is what lead me to peek into the Luxrender files to begin with, and I've been tweaking ever since.

Incidentally I have some simple IBL presets, one of which was used in my example images, that you may wish to use in your own Luxus renders. Link is in my signature.