It's Here! Sculptural Genesis Ultra Fun Kit [Commercial]

Comments

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

1. The character faces definitely do require the Wicked Fairytale Morphs and the female character requires the Native American morph as well, in order to look like the characters in the promo. The body shapes are just from evolution morphs. If you load the character with whatever you already have, it will look somewhat different but won't cause an error or anything - those dials just won't be there.

2. In making your own skins, keep in mind that this really is Genesis laid out carefully on a square, so the front and back overlap. The template is included in the kit, but It's not going to work quite like a normal template for painting a custom texture because of the overlap. The alternative is to cut it into two pieces and then you end up with a seam that's very noticeable with stone and marble type textures. Also it's meant to keep everything in scale together (eyeballs, teeth etc) so you can stick any tiling texture onto it, which means face details are kinda small when you're just trying to paint. So, that's just a caveat to keep in mind with making custom textures for it.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

I was going to buy this but there is a Weeping Angel in your promo images and now I cannot look away!

edited December 1969

LOL I was hoping someone would notice that :)

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Canary3d said:
    LOL I was hoping someone would notice that :)

I noticed also and quickly tossed the package in my shopping cart....

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,239
    edited December 1969

I wanted to mention how much I like the morphs too.... I made a little dial spin of your male classical plus shimazu's david plus a jepe texture...

greeter.jpg
    868 x 1286 - 237K
    edited December 1969

Ooo, nice!

edited December 1969

Informal market research - I'm curious to know if folks who are interested in this product, or who bought it, like the "some of everything" nature of the kit? I like making a lot of different stuff (props, conformers, poses, shaders, etc) and I could potentially take the "ultra fun kit" approach to some other projects on my slate. Or do you prefer separate smaller sets, generally?

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

I liked this set's collection just fine. Pricing was affordable. A variety of items which helps to quickly build up the collection of useful items for this and other sets as well.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

I like this 'some of everything'- it actually spurs creativity with things you might not have thought of putting together, especially when it's cross compatible with other tiling textures. Hell, this was worth it for that UV alone. Works great even with other tiled texture sets.

edited December 1969

I thought I would say that I bought your set for both reasons. I love the historical stuff and the fact that your set was specifically made for making statuary was already something that prompted me to buy it. However, when I saw your pictures in the forums with the cool materials, very cool morphs, strangely useful props, bases etc... I was looking everyday for the set to be sold. The upshot is that if you were to do a follow up with other classical characters ( a more egyptian look for the man and woman...), other props and poses (babylonian beard and poses!!!), other bases ( a reflecting pool)... i would also buy it. Your work is very impressive in how high quality every element is so it is entirely at your discretion how you want to sell it (either in smaller sets or one mega set).

edited December 1969

Canary3d said:
    Informal market research - I'm curious to know if folks who are interested in this product, or who bought it, like the "some of everything" nature of the kit? I like making a lot of different stuff (props, conformers, poses, shaders, etc) and I could potentially take the "ultra fun kit" approach to some other projects on my slate. Or do you prefer separate smaller sets, generally?

I don't make many statues...I had the set from someone for V4 that I still haven't used.

So why did I buy? The shaders and poses will be extremely useful and I really like the weeping angel pose. I think my son will like a Doctor Who render...; )

And I really liked the lamp concept!

edited December 1969

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words and for the insights. I think I will do another fun kit since I like making all the different bits! Probably something fairy related next time, we'll see...

edited December 1969

Canary3d said:
    Thanks, everyone, for the kind words and for the insights. I think I will do another fun kit since I like making all the different bits! Probably something fairy related next time, we'll see...

oooh...I like fairies and everything related! Looking forward to seeing what you do...

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

It'd be nice to see a tile-optimized UV mapping for G2F as well... :)

edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    It'd be nice to see a tile-optimized UV mapping for G2F as well... :)

Fairies first please...pretty please!

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,431
    edited December 1969

Quick question: In pose Allegory03B, is the right little finger meant to be like that, or should it have been bent like the left little finger in Allegory03A?

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Here's a render of what he's talking about. The hand on the extended arm doesn't look right either on 03B compared to 03A.

A on the left, B on the right.

Allegory03A-B.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 167K
    edited July 2013

Yes, although I realize the extended arm looks weird just standing there with its hands empty :) - allegorical statues typically are holding stuff, and these ones are meant to hold something tall in their extended arm,. The A and B poses aren't meant to be exactly symmetrical, just complimentary the way two statues on opposite sides of an arch might be. (I only do true symmetry for hands since I figure we all know how to do our own symmetry)

Anyway think of that as a "stuff holder" hand - the extended pinky means it's holding a smaller object with three fingers and thumb, while the pinky is just hanging out being elegantn- but there are a couple of relaxed hands in the hands folder that can be swapped in for any one in a pose that doesn't work with the way you want to use it, as well as a pile of different stuff holder hands, so you can customize it to your liking.

Those two particular poses were inspired by these two Henry Hering statues, in case you want to see what I was going for:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/field_museum_library/3349700750/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/field_museum_library/3349700726/in/photostream/

Post edited by Canary3d on
    edited December 1969

Here again is the male classical shape with the Deacon texture and Lucretia Locks.

classical.jpg
    1273 x 1286 - 469K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited July 2013

Below is the DS 4.6 Pro render of Genesis Female with Sculptural UV and Genesis Porcelain Pale preset with maps replaced by my own.
    I have noticed some distortion on the arms and between the fingers on the hand.
    Does it mean that we can only use procedural shaders on Sculptural Genesis to avoid textures distortions?

Sculpt06pic06.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 454K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • EnchantedPixieEnchantedPixie Posts: 471
    edited December 1969

Very nice indeed !!!

edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Below is the DS 4.6 Pro render of Genesis Female with Sculptural UV and Genesis Porcelain Pale preset with maps replaced by my own.
    I have noticed some distortion on the arms and between the fingers on the hand.
    Does it mean that we can only use procedural shaders on Sculptural Genesis to avoid textures distortions?

Every UV map has to either overlap, or split, in some location. A projection shader like DimensionTheory's can get around that (if you have a still camera - for animation a projection shader will create weird "moving texture" effects as the figure moves separately from the texture). The normal maps for Genesis have splits at the legs, arms, neck, etc, which make marble-type textures look really bad, because the veins have obvious splits, but is optimal for skin. The Sculptural UV has a mirrored overlap zone all the way around the perimiter of the figure, that looks natural with most stone and plaster type textures (the shaders in the kit are texture-based, not procedural), but as the pattern of the texture gets smaller, the "smooshing" effect gets more noticeable. Your texture is really cool but because it has very small, detailed pattern elements, the smushing is more noticeable. The alternative would be to have a seam all the way around, which makes a jagged line.

If you do one with the V4 UV and one with the Sculptural UV you can composite the renders together in the arm area - I know that's a bit of a pain, but I think it would produce good results for this texture.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the explanation, Canary3d. I have only started playing with Sculptural Genesis, but I like it a lot.
    In the mean time I have rendered another one.
    I have removed displacement map from the skin materials and added normal map instead.
    I have also added some scenery and used InaneGlory's Ring of Light.
    Genesis female is wearing Robokini top with one of the shader from the supersuit.

Sculpt09pic01rol.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 448K
    edited December 1969

nemesis10 said:
    Here again is the male classical shape with the Deacon texture and Lucretia Locks.

Nice! He looks great in that outfit, too.

edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Thanks for the explanation, Canary3d. I have only started playing with Sculptural Genesis, but I like it a lot.
    In the mean time I have rendered another one.
    I have removed displacement map from the skin materials and added normal map instead.
    I have also added some scenery and used InaneGlory's Ring of Light.
    Genesis female is wearing Robokini top with one of the shader from the supersuit.

Very cool!

edited December 1969

Having fun with Sculptural for Genesis.
    Below is a DS 4.6 Pro render of Mavka wearing Hitomi dress, Threadz shoes and Nata hair.

Mavka05pic01.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 347K
    edited July 2013

Another DS 4.6 Pro render of Mavka using Porcelain Pale preset and the pose from Sculptural Genesis.

Mavka08pic01.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 367K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 1969

cute! She looks great!

edited December 1969

Thanks a lot, Canary3d. You have created a really funny and useful set to play with.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited July 2013

Forum ate my post, so I'll try again...
    I got this yesterday and it looks like it will be lots of fun. But I've run into a problem with this product. When I attempt to apply Lightbulb Glass.duf shader to a surface, I get an error saying some assets needed to load the file were missing. The error refers to an auto_adapted folder.

lamp_error.jpg
    723 x 197 - 83K
    Post edited by barbult on