What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

fixme12 said:
    Mattymanx said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...as I mentioned a while ago, I'd like to see bridges/plugins for less expensive/free apps for those of us who don't have deep pockets.

I would love to see this too for many different apps as it would be benneficial to both DAZ and the customers and PAs. i just dont think DAZ has the time and money to do them outside of their own software family and poser.

Bring onthe Silo bridge! A Blender bridge would be cool too for Blender users.

Silo great modeler, to bad it get 's no update's anymore and a few annoyinh uv bugs still reamin in the soft.
    if daz create a blender bridge that would possible be the end of carrara. think we don't see that happen :)
    but i really like the idea as blender is great great tool. take a look at modo on 16 and 17th july.
    may be you can join.
    ...actually that would more likely spell the end of the road for Hexagon which they haven't updated in over five years anyway.

Modo while an excelllent tool, is out of my reach like most pro grade apps. This and Hexagon's instabilities are why I decided to grit my teeth and begin learning Blender.

If I wasn't unemployed right now I'd consider picking up Silo as it is on sale for 109$ with a special code.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    fixme12 said:
    Mattymanx said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...as I mentioned a while ago, I'd like to see bridges/plugins for less expensive/free apps for those of us who don't have deep pockets.

I would love to see this too for many different apps as it would be benneficial to both DAZ and the customers and PAs. i just dont think DAZ has the time and money to do them outside of their own software family and poser.

Bring onthe Silo bridge! A Blender bridge would be cool too for Blender users.

Silo great modeler, to bad it get 's no update's anymore and a few annoyinh uv bugs still reamin in the soft.
    if daz create a blender bridge that would possible be the end of carrara. think we don't see that happen :)
    but i really like the idea as blender is great great tool. take a look at modo on 16 and 17th july.
    may be you can join.

On the bright side, the DAZ Studio SDK is free so even if DAZ3D does not have the time and resources to commit to making the bridges, the oppertunity is there for others to do it instead.
    ...I didn't know the SDK worked that way. Of course I am so out of touch writing code these days and I don't think FORTRAN V or even FORTRAN 90 would work.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Figure to figure collisions on a kinematics level. I'd like to be able to take a hand, dial in the grasp morph slightly too tight to grab a railing/baseball bat/sword/you name it, and then have a collision detection act as a active pose style engine to push the hand so it's firmly holding the object.

Another good usage would be hands-on-hips, which I ALWAYS have trouble with. God.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...actually that would more likely spell the end of the road for Hexagon which they haven't updated in over five years anyway.

Modo while an excelllent tool, is out of my reach like most pro grade apps. This and Hexagon's instabilities are why I decided to grit my teeth and begin learning Blender.

If I wasn't unemployed right now I'd consider picking up Silo as it is on sale for 109$ with a special code.

that's why you have to look at modo on 16 & 17th july, may be then it will fit your budget.
    but for running 3d, you also need a good computer and those prices are mostly also around $4 or $5000.
    and have a beatiful render in a few sec. the alternative cheaper computer and have the same render in about 2 weeks.
    the only difference.

edited December 1969

...I just sunk eighteen months and 1,400$ into learning about and building my new system. Nothing near one of the pro rigs, but still a vast improvement over what I used to work on.

Renders that took up to a couple hours on the old system (when they didn't crash) now take between 15- 25 minutes on average.

I am currently unemployed so unless they are almost giving it away (under 100$), don't think I can still handle it on my budget.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Steampowered sells Silo for $60 USD - http://store.steampowered.com/app/100400/

Exact same program you get from Nevercenter but the only downside is that it requires to have Steam installed and running in the background everytime you use it. This also means an internet connection when you go to buy it and install it.

edited December 1969

...having to be online while working is something I don't like to do as it makes extra demands on system resources.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...having to be online while working is something I don't like to do as it makes extra demands on system resources.

And while Steam supposedly runs offline after activation, it is also prone to a "bug" (quotes very deliberate) that makes it impossible to run Steam offline. I literally had to change code in a config file to fix it so I could play my already-purchased games.

edited July 2013

...yeah I've had my share of bugs and failures with my ISP's connectivity (which soon should be a thing of the past) and CloudFlare insanity (got a good explanation of why it does what it does to some of us). Don't need to add any new aggravations into the mix.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

An option to export a figure in a way that the morphs remain in tact when imported into Lightwave

• edited December 1969

Better animation Tools, better FK/Ik

edited December 1969

An option to export a figure in a way that the morphs remain in tact when imported into Lightwave

FBX is the best option. Unless you mean make the morphs adjustable in LW after it arrives there.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

I would like skin textures in categories so that I can find the ones using sub surface shader versus standard. I'm finding often these aren't getting labeled so I can tell them apart at a glance.

edited July 2013

...continued support for Genesis "Classic" (the original Genesis Essentials should continue to be available).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

I would like skin textures in categories so that I can find the ones using sub surface shader versus standard. I'm finding often these aren't getting labeled so I can tell them apart at a glance.

I would like to see the entire content system reworked. It has the feel of a kludge on top of a patch on top of a fix. It is clunky, sprawling, and completely inefficient. Daz Studio's entire content management system feels like it was an after thought, added at the last minute by programmers who realized they built this software with absolutely no way for people to find anything in it. It has to be one of the messiest parts of the entire program.

edited December 1969

I would like to see the entire content system reworked. It has the feel of a kludge on top of a patch on top of a fix. It is clunky, sprawling, and completely inefficient. Daz Studio's entire content management system feels like it was an after thought, added at the last minute by programmers who realized they built this software with absolutely no way for people to find anything in it. It has to be one of the messiest parts of the entire program.

Content organization needs to be done at a user level that works best for the user. DAZ3D can only control their own store to a limited degree as each PA organizes their content a little differently. Its been this way for the longest time even before DAZ Studio excisted. And thats just the stores. Nevemind all the freebies out there. Whether its the Poser Runtime or the DS Content folder, everyone likes to organize in a different fashion. To give you an idea of my method, please look here - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2460/#32068 - If you need help learning about the Poser folder & file structure and what you can move and not move plus how to edit file paths, please see here - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5436/

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

FBX is the best option. Unless you mean make the morphs adjustable in LW after it arrives there.

That's what I mean, yeah

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

That's what I mean, yeah

Inorder for that to work, LW would need to support DSON for Genesis based characters. To support characters based on Poser technology they would need the equivalent of Inter Poser Pro. But that is all on the LW side. It has nothing to do with DAZ Studio or DAZ3D.

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Better interface. Daz Studio 3 and below were much better in this regard.

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited December 1969

Figure to figure collisions on a kinematics level. I'd like to be able to take a hand, dial in the grasp morph slightly too tight to grab a railing/baseball bat/sword/you name it, and then have a collision detection act as a active pose style engine to push the hand so it's firmly holding the object.

Another good usage would be hands-on-hips, which I ALWAYS have trouble with. God.

Something like this?
    hip1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 131K
    grab2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 81K
    grab1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 95K
    edited December 1969

Something exactly like that.

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited December 1969

You can do that now in DS, thats genesis on pictures. Apply smoothing modifier to genesis, set its collision item to what suits you. For the hip part, wear some gloves, set them as collision item, while lovering opacity of the gloves to 0 or make them invisible in render. Downside to wearing gloves in this fashion is that genesis hands will try to go around the gloves which will make them bigger, fatter looking. So perhaps lovering scale of the hands or size with morphs or it wont be so noticeable if you have some tight fitting gloves. Or some more tinkering with smoothing options. I didnt tinker with it for long.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Stop being such a resource hog - Studio should only use what's available instead of trying to expand beyond capacity of machine it's running on.

O I would love a DAZ Studio where you could allocate a limit on the computer resources it uses when rendering. Yes, I know it will take longer to render, but would still be better than the time wasted with Studio crashing half a dozen times in a row trying to render a relatively simple scene.

That, and the ability to pause & resume rendering.

...I've probably mentioned these a million times before, but just had a bad bout of crashes that have frustrated me no end today (and this heatwave is not helping me stay relaxed about it)

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

You can do that now in DS, thats genesis on pictures. Apply smoothing modifier to genesis, set its collision item to what suits you. For the hip part, wear some gloves, set them as collision item, while lovering opacity of the gloves to 0 or make them invisible in render. Downside to wearing gloves in this fashion is that genesis hands will try to go around the gloves which will make them bigger, fatter looking. So perhaps lovering scale of the hands or size with morphs or it wont be so noticeable if you have some tight fitting gloves. Or some more tinkering with smoothing options. I didnt tinker with it for long.

This is very useful info, thanks Ben! :)

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

Content organization needs to be done at a user level that works best for the user. DAZ3D can only control their own store to a limited degree as each PA organizes their content a little differently. Its been this way for the longest time even before DAZ Studio excisted. And thats just the stores. Nevemind all the freebies out there. Whether its the Poser Runtime or the DS Content folder, everyone likes to organize in a different fashion. To give you an idea of my method, please look here - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2460/#32068 - If you need help learning about the Poser folder & file structure and what you can move and not move plus how to edit file paths, please see here - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5436/

Here's what bothers me about the way content is managed.

You go to your content library. You have some poses you just downloaded. You go to the folder with those poses and you categorize them.

Default>Presets>Poses>Genesis>(whatever further category you require)

And what does that do?

Nothing.

The poses do not show up in smart content. The poses do not show up as poses in the content library. For all intents and purposes you seem to have wasted your breath.

Now you have to go into Content DB Editor and tell it the EXACT SAME THING ALL OVER AGAIN!!! AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHH!!!

Content management on Daz feels like you're dealing with someone who has brain damage and simply cannot comprehend what you're talking about. It reminds me exactly of what it was like dealing with my last drummer. The guy did too damned many drugs in the 70s and couldn't remember anything you told him.

Okay this song is straight up 4/4 rock right up until the bridge then it shifts into a 6/8 shuffle you got that?

Yeah, 4/4 rock then 6/8 shuffle at the bridge, no problem.

You're doing the song the bridge comes up and he just plows right on through with the 4/4.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

I didn't know it changed.

I... just... told... YOU! Do you not remember this conversation from just a few minutes ago?

Oh? That's this song? I didn't know you were talking about this song.

What logical reason would there be for me to tell you the song was 4/4 rock up until the bridge when it switches to a 6/8 shuffle if I was not talking about this very song we are playing?

At least once you've finally told Daz Studio over and over again what a file is it finally gets it, unlike my former drummer where it was eventually easier to just drop songs from the play list than have to explain again and again how the song went.

There's no logical reason to have to constantly tell Daz Studio over and over again what a file is. When you categorise something then that should be it. The Content DB Editor should understand when you've categorised something as Wardrobe>shoes it's type is Wardrobe>shoes. I shouldn't have to tell it again what it is. It just feels like there were two systems at work here that have been kludged together and don't really communicate with one another at all even though it seems natural that they should.

It's an annoying, time consuming process that should be made more efficient and user friendly.

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:
    Stop being such a resource hog - Studio should only use what's available instead of trying to expand beyond capacity of machine it's running on.

O I would love a DAZ Studio where you could allocate a limit on the computer resources it uses when rendering. Yes, I know it will take longer to render, but would still be better than the time wasted with Studio crashing half a dozen times in a row trying to render a relatively simple scene.

...I've probably mentioned these a million times before, but just had a bad bout of crashes that have frustrated me no end today (and this heatwave is not helping me stay relaxed about it)

Exactly. I would love it too. I need drop to work with things from job or drop to do rendering in DS, it is annoying. In DS rendering I'm unable to use others programs, even move files without a big lag in time of response. I would prefer a render in longer time, meanwhile I'm able to work in other important things.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Categorizing and creating metadata are two different things. You can set up categories however you like, but that doesn't turn it into Smart Content (although if it already is Smart Content, it will show your custom categories in the Smart Content pane). Just because I might categorize it as Victoria 4 > Clothing > Shoes, for example, that doesn't mean it has been tagged as footwear for Victoria 4.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    Jabba101 said:

Exactly. I would love it too. I need drop to work with things from job or drop to do rendering in DS, it is annoying. In DS rendering I'm unable to use others programs, even move files without a big lag in time of response. I would prefer a render in longer time, meanwhile I'm able to work in other important things.

You can set affinity or priority to DS so it leaves resources for other tasks at the OS level, but I agree it would be convenient to be able to do so inside DS. I'm not sure if it can be done, however, given that certain tasks require elevated privileges. Just as you could create a batch file to start CMS, then launch DS, then stop CMS when you close DS, but DS itself can't start or stop CMS.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited July 2013

Mattymanx said:
    Mattymanx said:

That's what I mean, yeah

Inorder for that to work, LW would need to support DSON for Genesis based characters. To support characters based on Poser technology they would need the equivalent of Inter Poser Pro. But that is all on the LW side. It has nothing to do with DAZ Studio or DAZ3D.

thanks for the links. I do actually organize my stuff the way I like, but It would be nice if the HSS mats are separate from the standard mats in the product view as well. Often there is no visable difference unless I hover over them, and it would be great if this were possible.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

Categorizing and creating metadata are two different things. You can set up categories however you like, but that doesn't turn it into Smart Content (although if it already is Smart Content, it will show your custom categories in the Smart Content pane). Just because I might categorize it as Victoria 4 > Clothing > Shoes, for example, that doesn't mean it has been tagged as footwear for Victoria 4.

But it should. You've just told it everything it needs to know to set up the metadata. It should be automated. If for whatever bizarre reason someone wants to categorise something as Victoria4>clothing>shoes but wants smart content to recognize it as victoria4>content>foot-gloves then that one person should have to manually set up the metadata for the item.

For 99% of us categorising the item is how we want the item to be recognized by smart content. There needs to be more automation of the metadata so we don't feel like we're dealing with a child that has been dropped on its head.