How can you map spherical images to backgrounds in DAZ Studio 4?

chikako_8af55a8a68chikako_8af55a8a68 Posts: 83
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have a bunch of spherical images that make excellent 360 degree backgrounds in other software packages.

Does anyone know how to use these in DS? All I am seeing is flat background support.

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

If they're in the 2w:1h aspect ratio, create a sphere, invert it (-100% scale), rotate it 180 on the Z-axis, reposition it, apply image to surface. If you want you can go further and make it IBL by using UberAreaLight to turn the surface of the sphere into a light.

• chikako_8af55a8a68chikako_8af55a8a68 Posts: 83
    edited June 2012

adamr001 said:
    If they're in the 2w:1h aspect ratio, create a sphere, invert it (-100% scale), rotate it 180 on the Z-axis, reposition it, apply image to surface. If you want you can go further and make it IBL by using UberAreaLight to turn the surface of the sphere into a light.

Thanks! UberAreaLight - that's now a part of DS Pro 4, right?

Post edited by chikako_8af55a8a68 on
    edited December 1969

chikako said:
    adamr001 said:

Thanks! UberAreaLight - that's now a part of DS Pro 4, right?

Yup, select the sphere on the scene tab, the default surface on the surface tab and apply "!UberAreaLightBase.dsa". Then you'll need to tweak some settings. ;)

Like adding the diffuse map to the ambient channel too and to the light color channel...

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,133
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:

Adam, could you explain why you need to invert the sphere? Is is something to do with image on the inside vs outside, or what?
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited June 2012

N/A

Post edited by Ascania on
    edited June 2012

MelanieL said:
    adamr001 said:

Adam, could you explain why you need to invert the sphere? Is is something to do with image on the inside vs outside, or what?
    If you do not inverse the sphere, the normals are pointing outside because it's assumed you're going to be using the outside of the primitive when you create it. Inversing the scale points the normals to the inside so you can use it as a dome. Since uberAreaLight depends on the direction of the normals to know which way to cast its light, there you have it... If you fail to inverse it, the light will be cast outside the sphere instead of inside.
    Post edited by adamr001 on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,133
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    MelanieL said:
    adamr001 said:

If you do not inverse the sphere, the normals are pointing outside because it's assumed you're going to be using the outside of the primitive when you create it. Inversing the scale points the normals to the inside so you can use it as a dome. Since uberAreaLight depends on the direction of the normals to know which way to cast its light, there you have it... If you fail to inverse it, the light will be cast outside the sphere instead of inside.

Thanks so much for this info - it explains the mysterious thing that happened the one and only time I tried to use uberAreaLight - I got no light! I'll have to try again now.

Melanie.

• naqlnaql Posts: 25
    edited June 2012

Hello, DS4 newbiew here....

I was trying to put to use the knowledge in this thread, had some limited success, but now... now, I seem to have broken my sphere primitive. I can create a new empty screen, create a sphere primitive, it uses the defaults from an earlier attempt (which were wrong, I guess) of 500 meters, 120 segments, 240 sides. (Even if I edit this back to what I suppose is a more reasonable number of 1 meter, 12 segment, 24 sides, the next time I attempt I get the same defaults as above).

And when I click accept, I get a bounding box, but no sphere visible no matter what I try.

How can I reset this back to the original defaults and regain the ability to create a sphere?

Thanks...

Post edited by naql on
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    MelanieL said:
    adamr001 said:

chikako, I have a tutorial up on how to use DAZStudio's sphere primitive as a skydome (along with some free seamless skymaps, click here), but it never occurred to me to invert the sphere since I don't use UberLights. :red: Anyway, hope you find it helpful.