Fibermesh and other hairy creation funstuffs

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,791
edited June 2018 in Art Studio

video of Dog 8 coat, click to play

I am having fun with Zbrush and decided to start a hairy art thread so others can share too

Carrara also has a dynamic hair to mesh plugin thanks to Philemo and of course there is LAMH, Garibaldi and Blender particle hair to be had

so all can join in and share their creations and experiments too

and any suggestions

my new realization zero length best for using the transfer utility then adding length with morphloader works with Zbrush Fibermesh and Carrara hair exports

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,791

stiff furred cat video
    now I am trying a Dforce sim, expecting to crash my video card driver

Dforce Furred cat video

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Wendy, have you had any luck, or have you tried, with DS LAMH AM Catalyzer for fur/hair, ... eg  AM's wolf2.0  and then exporting to Zbrush?  I do not seem to be able to merge the hair and wolf in a way that zbrush will open. I thought someplace a while back I saw a way to do that.  I'd like to import into Carrara as well. I save as scene subset and then Carrara just gets stuck at about 14%.

Some of AM's older figures, like the bear... will export the fur bit to Carrara... and it comes in separately right from the duf file (you can open it furred). Maybe that's it... you have to apply the fur for the Catalyzer in DS? It is not a packaged file option to load?

Sorry for the load of rubbish explanation, but I am hopeful you might know what I am trying to do?  The long shaggy wolf coat on AM's Wolf 2.0 is really good and I make it a bit longer. It looks good even in a DS spot render.  I have trouble in Carrara being able to evenly hair thin animal legs. Also, the gray European wolf has complex colouring and AM nailed it well. 

Not much time to work with things, but hope to in a few weeks... eyeball stuff going on.

Am following your work in this thread, even though I don't animate. Cool stuff!

Cheers,  Silene yes

I don't have the catalyzer and as far as I know it just streamlines the processif exporting the fiberhair from LAMH

that stuff is very highpoly and no, Carrara not fond of it.

once exported it is just a static mesh so cannot be made back into hair again

you can try getting the density maps out and making them black and white 

they are black and red

then try them in Carrara's density for carrara hair 

edited June 2018

Thanks... I did read this thread below some time ago... but my eyes just glazed over....

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14818/look-at-my-hair-lamh-official-thread-update-1-6-0-1-released/p48

Will have another look sometime... it's the patterning I am after, so if I can convert the density map... then it's back to Carrara for me!

yes Silene

ETA:  I don't know... the patterning is almost brindle like and very distinct... will the density maps help with that?  My last Carrara hair wolf had so many layers, but it was still hit or miss. And the animals were predominantly white with some grays mixed in.

Might have to work in DS and just use the exported render in the scene... 

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

The LAMH plugin will not create LAMH Catalyst compatible hair. All LAMH Catalyst compatible hair that you have seen was created by Alessandro. I have inquired to the LAMH team several times whether LAMH will be updated to create LAMH Catalyst compatible hair but have never received a reply.

So that means if you want to iRay render LAMH hair you create you have no choice but to export it as a series of objects in the different poses you will need and than create create morph targets in DAZ Studio. As it is so easy to get so many polygon faces quickly with LAMH you are likely to run into trouble quickly.  

more dforce cat fur video

Dforce dog hair video

a slow motion video

this is rather unweildy to really share, I doubt I can even upload it to shareCG as too high poly

https://sta.sh/0znmil89ypq

a WIP for a dforce hair, a lot smaller in size to the one above that I am still trying to upload

not sure what sort of shader to use, most vertically transmapped hairs sort of work but nothing I myself can make and share

anyway you are welcome to download and play with it, redistribute modify whatever just be quick as it may not be up there  many days

image (1).png
    1936 x 1048 - 488K
    image.png
    940 x 706 - 223K
    edited June 2018
    edited July 2018
    th3Digit said:

These look really good!  If I can't get my Carrara hairing of Wolf 2.0 to work, will give this a try. Maybe should try anyways!  yes Silene

SileneUK said:
    th3Digit said:

These look really good!  If I can't get my Carrara hairing of Wolf 2.0 to work, will give this a try. Maybe should try anyways!  yes Silene

you will need to convert it to Blended weight in DS as I didn't 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited July 2018

Great idea for a thread.  Fascinated by your work with the dogs and cats.  yesyes

I've been playing around with Philemo's plugin.  Have had some success getting the meshes and morphs to Studio, but I'm still trying to get up to speed on Iray texture settings.  It isn't hard, just not what I am used to.  I will follow along for now, but hope to have something to contribute soon (might be Daz soon, though).   

Post edited by Diomede on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

Thanks very much!

edited July 2018
    th3Digit said:
    SileneUK said:
    th3Digit said:

Ack... I was thinking transfer utility...doh?  Thanks, will read Misty's routine thing again, which thankfully I have made with graphics as I do not do this that much now as she made the G3/G8 ready to go in Carrara. 

yes Silene

SileneUK said:
    th3Digit said:
    SileneUK said:
    th3Digit said:

Ack... I was thinking transfer utility...doh?  Thanks, will read Misty's routine thing again, which thankfully I have made with graphics as I do not do this that much now as she made the G3/G8 ready to go in Carrara. 

yes Silene

no need it is already rigged, it just needs edit rigging convert to Blended weight on both the hair and the dog

or the rigging will not work in Carrara

and it must not be parented

then save a scene subset

edited July 2018

don't forget the dog eyelash whiskers too

I honestly have not tried it in Carrara as we have superior dynamic fur

it was meant as a DAZ studio solution 

edited July 2018

OK,  I managed to use Carrara hair on Wolf 2.0. From the adult model, I morphed two subadults. Making pups was a step too far in distorting the muzzle.

Fast lighting messes about with the hair density and gamma is turned off. Using mixers/blenders for shading hair (patterns, etc) attracts light, even if I turn contrast down. Wanted a brindle effect, but still practicing! No post work so you can see my weakness is getting skinny legs haired. I made a separate hair section for the under-tail area to get a draped shag effect. Maybe I need to make 'gators' for their shins and do the same?

I don't want a photo, I want an illustration effect, so maybe I need to get out Philemo's plugin and learn to work with it.

indecision  Silene

Wolf Mum-2 pups Test 1.png
    900 x 675 - 944K

that is utterly beautiful Seline heart

edited July 2018
    th3Digit said:

that is utterly beautiful Seline heart

blushblushblush Thank you, Wendy... your praise means alot! yesheart Silene

Here's one with some postwork in PS which gives sort of a gamma look.... will try Philemo's plugin, too... so much to learn.

Wolf Mum-2 pups Test 2.png
    900 x 675 - 1M
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Wolves look beautiful!  Way to go, SileneUK!

Diomede said:

Wolves look beautiful!  Way to go, SileneUK!

blush Cheers, Dio... it's been hard to fit in Carraring again with so much child-minding and eye issues, but am determined to carry on with this! yes Silene