Basic Supersuit UV's for the Supersuit product have been fixed! Our voices have been heard.

Comments

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,697
    edited December 1969

Nadino said:
    Joequick said:
    you going for this kind of thing?

Looks great Joe, I'd def use that!
    Can't get mine quite symmetrical :(
    I keep trying though :)

Are you still making stuff? I don't see you post here very often, and I think your deviantart page may have gone quite a while without an update.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

I got a reply to my query from DAZ and was told pretty much what Canary3d said. So I packaged it up and have placed the remap at ShareCG. Right now it is hot and humid and my little troll brain isn't working so well so I hope people don't have any problems with it as I not sure I could answer their questions at the moment. Once it gets cooler I may try adjusting the scale and layout for more detailed textures. It will probably mean isolating the torso, arms & hand and legs & feet.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/70251/browse/6/Texture/Genesis-Basic-Suit-Re-Map

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    I got a reply to my query from DAZ and was told pretty much what Canary3d said. So I packaged it up and have placed the remap at ShareCG. Right now it is hot and humid and my little troll brain isn't working so well so I hope people don't have any problems with it as I not sure I could answer their questions at the moment. Once it gets cooler I may try adjusting the scale and layout for more detailed textures. It will probably mean isolating the torso, arms & hand and legs & feet.

Thank you very much. Should work just fine but I'll have to wait abit too. Rather hot atm, weird heat pressure that hurts the head, and good golly, I think the keys on the keyboard are melting!

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited July 2013

jestmart said:

Thank you soooooo much for doing this, Jestmart. It really is appreciated. I'll let you know if I incounter any problems. :)

I updated my signature with a link directly to your ShareCG download. :)

Post edited by Knight22179 on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited July 2013

Thank you for this.

So what exactly do we do with the new UV layout to make it work right?

Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited July 2013

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think we unzip the data folder to our Studio folder. I just downloaded mine so I haven't tried that yet. Plus it comes with ReadMe's. The last part of it says this: To install extract to the folder that contains the Supersuit.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited July 2013

-removed because I'm a dimwit-

/edit I think she's wondering how to use it, not how to install it.

Wilmap- Just like with a figure's UV set, you can change it to the new one via the surfaces tab.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Yes, worked that out last night!!! lol

Thanks.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited July 2013

What you need to do to get it to work is either create a new texture set using the new UV layout (there is medium resolution template included) or encourage other texture makers to start using the new mapping. This new mapping simply doesn't have the overlapping problems the old mapping had, it isn't a fix so much as a new beginning. Randall posted a video showing how to fix it in Studio by adding new material zones. http://vimeo.com/61306468

UPDATE! It got cooler so the promised second remap is done. I added to the original so you are all going to have to download again and the file is quite a bit larger do to the extra templates (sorry folks with bandwidth limits).

Post edited by jestmart on
  • Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited July 2013

jestmart said:

Thanks! This was one of those things I was going to kludge up for myself, when time permitted, but your is undoubtedly better. My UV skills are still in a state of... development? Yeah, that would be the nice way to say it.

Post edited by Mr Gneiss Guy on
  • michellecelebriellemichellecelebrielle Posts: 264
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the new UV set, can't wait to test them out :)

• DAZ_JoshDAZ_Josh Posts: 1,367
    edited December 1969

Hi. I know you have pretty much given up on us by this point, but we felt it was a good idea to rise from the dead and give you an update.

We looked into fixing the UV issues with the Basic Suit and have come up with a nice resolution, I believe. I would like to have some of you test it out before we make an official update, though. If you are interested in the beta files, please let me know and I'll get them to you.

We have changed the following:
    - Matched the UVs to the Supersuit (the previous set was matched in some parts, not matched in others, we are pretty sure the original intent had been to have them match)
    - Matched the Surface Groups to the Supersuit as close as we could. We couldn't match it exactly because it isn't split up as much as the Supersuit, but it is separated into regions such as 1_Back, 2_Arms, 3_Abdomen, etc. and those regions all match the Supersuit.
    - Added MAT preset to colorize the regions like the Supersuit

I am grateful to those who have spent time coming up with a fix to make up for our broken product. I hope that these fixes will be acceptable and will make the basic suit a more useful piece of content. Thanks for your patience!

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,532
    edited December 1969

Yay! Thank you

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,200
    edited December 1969

If Half-Life: Episode 3 is released tomorrow, I will no longer be surprised.

• Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited December 1969

I'm beta testing the new basicsuit UVs by Josh Darling. So far I think they work great. Since they closely match the supersuit UVs we can use textures that were designed for the supersuit like this: http://www.daz3d.com/mardi-gras-supersuit This is great for me since my old PC is often struggling with the complex scenes I try to render & the basicsuit is lighter weight to work with.

To convert the Mardi Grass material, I applied it to a supersuit, then I imported 1 surface for each texture map into Shader Mixer & applied them onto the corresponding surfaces of the basic suit. I'm not sure if there is a better way to convert the material over?

For some reason the basicsuit displacement maps caused the suit to swell up, even though they looked like the same settings on the supersuit & it was fine. I ended up turning displacement off on both in this test, everything else should be default. The figure shape is the base genesis just to keep things simple without having to throw shapes, smoothing or pushing into the mix.

There is some distortion but it's not too bad. I'm not sure if anything got messed up when I imported the materials in shader mixer and re-applied them. It would be awesome if the basicsuit could just take materials that were designed for the supersuit but I think the products with the materials would have to be setup for that to work.

When I flip between the 2 images in my image viewer you can clearly see the distortions but again it's not too bad.

super.jpg
    575 x 800 - 403K
    basic.jpg
    575 x 800 - 198K
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

ZOMG, now that's nice piece of news. :)

edited December 1969

Good news indeed! :)

edited December 1969

So will these be a free update?

edited December 1969

They should be IMO since we've waited for so long. :)

edited December 1969

Yes, a free update. :)

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Hi. I know you have pretty much given up on us by this point, but we felt it was a good idea to rise from the dead and give you an update.

We looked into fixing the UV issues with the Basic Suit and have come up with a nice resolution, I believe. I would like to have some of you test it out before we make an official update, though. If you are interested in the beta files, please let me know and I'll get them to you.

We have changed the following:
    - Matched the UVs to the Supersuit (the previous set was matched in some parts, not matched in others, we are pretty sure the original intent had been to have them match)
    - Matched the Surface Groups to the Supersuit as close as we could. We couldn't match it exactly because it isn't split up as much as the Supersuit, but it is separated into regions such as 1_Back, 2_Arms, 3_Abdomen, etc. and those regions all match the Supersuit.
    - Added MAT preset to colorize the regions like the Supersuit

I am grateful to those who have spent time coming up with a fix to make up for our broken product. I hope that these fixes will be acceptable and will make the basic suit a more useful piece of content. Thanks for your patience!

"We" Mr. Darling? I don't remember there being a "we" those long nights that I slaved away on the basic suit in fear of retribution. All I remember was the verbal abuse from an angry task master pushing me beyond normal human limits as I worked ceaselessly on this update.

Joking aside Josh and I are both pretty excited about this update.

edited July 2013

I think I ran into a glitch beta testing the official fixed UVs. I'm getting black squares showing up on the basicsuit & they are not showing up on the supersuit. It's not as noticeable in a fully lit scene but it's really obvious in this spec only render. I also brightened it up a lot in post so it's more visible. I did import surfaces into shader mixer from the supersuit & applied them to the basic suit to transfer the "Mardi Gras" material so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

glitch.jpg
    436 x 282 - 117K
    Post edited by Swawa3D on
    edited December 1969

Swawa3D, I'll look at that, hopefully it isn't hard to track down what is causing that.

As for Jared taking credit...you guys should all be grateful to him. He was the one that brought all this to my attention and was instrumental in getting this prioritized.

In fact, we told him if he was so passionate about it that he can learn how to do the work himself. :) Turns out Jared can be pretty good with the tools, so if you guys ever need anything just let Jared know, I'm sure he'll be up for the challenge. ;)

edited December 1969

Thanks, Jared! :)

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    [Joking aside Josh and I are both pretty excited about this update.

You're not alone. Looking forward to the update.

Thanks for all of your hard work, it's appreciated.

-- Walt Sterdan

edited December 1969

Swawa3D, I'll look at that, hopefully it isn't hard to track down what is causing that.

Thanks. Let me know if you need me to test anything specific on my end.

edited December 1969

I changed the Basic Suit's surface groups to match up with the Supersuit as much as possible (basically the major groups match pretty well, all the tiny seam surfaces are not present ).

When applying the Mardi Gras texture to it, it doesn't seem to have the issue. Maybe it did have something to do with how you got it to work, not really sure...

MardiGrasTest.jpg
    1042 x 1024 - 562K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Looks great Josh! :-) Where does one get that texture set from?

edited July 2013

http://www.daz3d.com/mardi-gras-supersuit

Right here, RAMwolff. :)

And thanks, Josh!

• Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited December 1969

This is looking good. It's nice that this is finally getting done, good job guys, and thanks for the effort.