Anyone Having Problems With Rendering Mallard Pond?

Purchased this in the sale, the other day, along with its required set:

https://www.daz3d.com/the-harpwood-trail-mallard-pond

The trouble is, it keeps crashing Daz Studio after attempting to rendering it. :/ Has anyone else had this problem? SEems to spend several minutes preparing for the render, but then has to close.

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

...which render engine?

Almost bought it last week as I already have the Trail set.

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

I have the Harpwood Trail and it does the same thing.  Sits there on 0% forever, then it may or may not eventually start to render. I also have the same problem with his World Gardens Maze.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

change the iray optimise setting for instancing from speed to memory

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,562

From the notes on the product page: 

For Iray renders you must have “Instancing Optimization” set to “Memory” or you risk overloading your system's memory capacity. This setting is built into the Render Settings Preset included in the set but can be found in the Render Settings Tab.

Are you using the included render preset? With this kind of a notation, it sounds like it is very resource intensive.

For Iray renders you must have “Instancing Optimization” set to “Memory” or you risk overloading your system's memory capacity. This setting is built into the Render Settings Preset included in the set but can be found in the Render Settings Tab.

Are you using the included render preset? With this kind of a notation, it sounds like it is very resource intensive

No, I have it set for speed.  Looks like I'll be changing that right now before I forget. Yeesh. Also I didn't know there was an included render preset. I must have missed that. Yes, they are both very resource intensive.  I was crazy to buy Harpwood Trail after the subpar experience I had with Gardens Maze.  My card is only 2GB, so I do have limitations.  Thank you for your helpful suggestion.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited June 2018

Nope, renders fine here, but the optimization is set to memory when it loads for me.

(MSI gaming laptop, quad Intel, 970M (6 gig), 16 gigs of ram)

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited June 2018

I don't have this set, and this may not be the case, but in the past I purchased sets, that kept crashing Daz attempting to render, DS would shut down, problem I discovered was my comp lacked computing power for high polygon models, after upgrading sets rendered fine.  I learned afterwards, another option is reduce polygon count.

Post edited by AJ2112 on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Any sets that make heay use of instances (trees, grass, plants, leaves, rocks/pebbles etc) need to have Instances Optimization in the Iray renderer set to "memory", otherwise the renderer will basically sit there trying to load every single instance, until it dies. This is true for many of Howie's sets and many of mine too. Sadly it's in the nature of this kind of environment. (setting Optimization to Memory just loads one master copy for all the instances)

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

Yeesh! Yeah, I meant Iray, but had no idea about that piece of text. My fault! It actually renders now!

So glad, because I've been commissioned to create a book cover and the writer wanted this set, specifically, for how a particular scene looks like. :)

Thank you to all who helped!

Out of interest, what does shunting the 'optimisation' setting to memory actually do? Would doing that improve our renders in general?

edited June 2018

Are you using the included render preset? With this kind of a notation, it sounds like it is very resource intensive.

I did use the render preset but DS took about 5 minutes trying to start the render and it never finished.  It said 'not responding' after a bit.  I had a hard time shutting down DS and ending up doing a CAD and went to the Task Manager to stop it.  Then even though it was closed, my mouse was all spastic and jerky.  I rebooted and it was ok then.  I'm afraid I should have returned it.  I'm one of those imputse buyers.  I love something, buy it, then may not use it for months, and by then it's too late.

Post edited by sapat on
  • Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,562
    sapat said:

I'm one of those imputse buyers.  I love something, buy it, then may not use it for months, and by then it's too late.

I feel your pain on this, because I do the exact same thing.

Sorry to hear it didn't help.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074
    edited June 2018

@TangoAlpha gave you the answer.

Only if you have many instances, for the reasons stated (above). Othewise your render will be slower with no improvement in quality.

(edited for poor typing)

Out of interest, what does shunting the 'optimisation' setting to memory actually do? Would doing that improve our renders in general?

Post edited by fastbike1 on
    fastbike1 said:

@TangoAlpha gave you the answer.

Only if you have many instances, for the reasons stated (above). Othewise your render will be slower with ni improvement in quality.

Very useful to know, thank you.

sapat said:

I'm one of those imputse buyers.  I love something, buy it, then may not use it for months, and by then it's too late.

I feel your pain on this, because I do the exact same thing.

Sorry to hear it didn't help.

Glad I'm not the only one. I feel so ashamed....crying