All of my characters just updated in DIM

SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Opened DIM this morning and every character I own for Genesis seems to be getting an update, but no info on what the updates involve. Anyone have an idea?

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

Egad. o_O I hadn't launched mine at all today and sure enough, there they are.

Time to download, not install, and peek in the zips.

/edit
    Used DIM and right click > installer files and I'm stumped. Was hoping to see some files going into the G2F folder, but nope. I think I'll wait to install this until I find out what the updates are.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • erostewerostew Posts: 214
    edited December 1969

I'm kind of curious what these updates are for myself. Saw them when downloading new purchases so I installed the updates. V5 seemed like it was the largest. Took quite a while to download it. No mention in the product readmes in the doc center.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Yep I had a load of updates as well.

up.JPG
    399 x 429 - 32K
    edited December 1969

I looked inside the V5 zip itself, and according to the file dates the Bree textures and files in /data have been updated.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

yeah same here. But we don't know WHAT the updates are yet?

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

Haven't checked, but I'm expecting some older files may eventually be updated to .duf format?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Aiko 5?! do i need to re d/l all the Aiko 5 stuff, like her expressions?

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,751
    edited December 1969

I just started using this thing, how do I find updates? All my products so far have been downloaded & installed the old way, I'd rather not have to do it all over again just to find out what's changed.

edited December 1969

Aiko 5?! do i need to re d/l all the Aiko 5 stuff, like her expressions?
    All I saw was characters in the updates. So no need to download anything else if there is no updated download showing in DIM.
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited June 2013

This is weirdly variable. I have most of the characters Anikad showed in that screencap, but the only ones I have with updates at all (not just from the screencap) are Aiko5, CitizenX, Stalker Girl, Michael5 and Gorilla. No Young Teens, no Andrei, no Hiro5, no Stephanie5. Very strange indeed.

tjohn said:
    Haven't checked, but I'm expecting some older files may eventually be updated to .duf format?

Most of them already were DUF. The only character from my list above that wasn't originally issued with DUFs is Michael5, and he got DUFed for DSON back in October.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Byrdie said:
    I just started using this thing, how do I find updates? All my products so far have been downloaded & installed the old way, I'd rather not have to do it all over again just to find out what's changed.

You have to use the DIM to find out about updates. I believe you can get away with just downloading everything but not installing and you'll still get notifications. There is also this update thread where folks are commenting when something they have has been updated: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3885/P540 but that's not going to catch everything.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

I've checked on new Julia and it looks for me that many morphs were compressed. When I decompressed main Julia morph it looked pretty much the same as before. If there are differences in code, it would take a lot of time to decompress and compare everything so I wonder if anybody can compare functionality in some other way.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Well, now 6 of this morning's updates are on the list again. Gabi for V5, Gunner for D5, Mavka for Genesis, Riley for S5, Tori for V5, Arashi for H5 were all updated at the time of my original post, but here they are again in DIM, and actually not in the "Products to be updated" category, just listed as Products to dl and install.

Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be hurting anything, other than messing up a little of my custom naming conventions. For example, I hate when products have a + or !! in front of their names to bump them to the top of the list in Smart Content, so I usually remove that punctuation so they get alphabetized like everyone else. So now I have double entries on all of the ones I did that with.

edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Well, now 6 of this morning's updates are on the list again. Gabi for V5, Gunner for D5, Mavka for Genesis, Riley for S5, Tori for V5, Arashi for H5 were all updated at the time of my original post, but here they are again in DIM, and actually not in the "Products to be updated" category, just listed as Products to dl and install.
    I don't own any of those items but I checked and none of mine have repeated from this morning. Maybe they will eventually get around to putting the changes in the readmes but that doesn't seem to have happened yet.
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited June 2013

Has Gabi for V5 actually been updated? The files aren't showing an update and 2 versions show up in the product Library that have slightly different sizes.

Quick addition it, looks like multiple versions are showing up for download in troducts Library for some products. Mavka has a new version and an old version. Both files are the same size, but they have different dates.

The multiple duplicate name files it looks like is the problem.

Post edited by Jay_NOLA on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,666
    edited December 1969

Eh, this DIM crap is annoying. We will not spend another dime on content, until DAZ sets up an update notification section. It's just another move to force people to put more of their software on our machines.

edited December 1969

TheKD said:
    Eh, this DIM crap is annoying. We will not spend another dime on content, until DAZ sets up an update notification section. It's just another move to force people to put more of their software on our machines.

You mean like this?
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3885/

Other than that, the product updates will be shown in DIM separately in the Ready to Download tab above the rest of your products.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,666
    edited December 1969

Not quite, I am talking about from DAZ themselves, users should not have to notify each other of updates, that is DAZ job. We don't use the DIM, don't want to use the DIM.. Not everyone wants the program. We do not allow the art machine to touch the internet at all, it doesn't have an ethernet or wifi adapter installed.

edited December 1969

Some people install DIM to their internet machine, and then manually transfer the zips to their workstation. The problem I see with on-site product updates vs DIM is that on-site can't keep track of your currently installed version the way DIM can.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited December 1969

At this point, I think I'm going to leave them alone until Monday when DAZ is open for work again. All of those characters seem to be perfectly functional without being updated at the moment. Hopefully, on Monday, maybe one of the moderators might ask someone at DAZ what's going on?

It looks like Gabi was DUFed for DSON back in October 2012. Gorilla may have been DUFed in March 2013, when Poser CF files were added.

edited December 1969

vwrangler said:
    At this point, I think I'm going to leave them alone until Monday when DAZ is open for work again. All of those characters seem to be perfectly functional without being updated at the moment. Hopefully, on Monday, maybe one of the moderators might ask someone at DAZ what's going on?

It looks like Gabi was DUFed for DSON back in October 2012. Gorilla may have been DUFed in March 2013, when Poser CF files were added.

That's what I'm doing. I have them downloaded, but not installed, same with M5's updated nether region. After the fiasco with the change in V5's girly bits, I haven't installed M5's updated bit either.
  • Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,131
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:

LOL. I've just been writing about this in another thread:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24869/

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

I've got most of the stuff I know that has been updated added to the Genesis Update list and I'm mentioning when the DIM files were updated when I know that. (Which has been me actually spending a good bit of time looking at files that have been reported as being updated.) So hopefully all that work will result in some of the updating problems not occurring for some updating.

Pulling all the older stand alone installers and leaving just the DIM versions wasn't a good idea as many of the older ones still had the current versions. It would have been better to pull the standalone installers only when a newer version of the product was released that would be in DIM only format as the only way to tell when something was updated is to download and look at the files now.

Aside from files having the same names and different dates. I also saw some that had slightly different spellings in the name so both show up.

I don't use DIM because of limited net access and prefer to have actually installers. Plus, I sometimes am on a temp work computer that has no net access because of security issues that I need to load DAZ stuff on to do evidence displays.

I also haven't been installing a lot of newer content because of the constant updates.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited June 2013

I also had a few Gen5 updates today as well. I, for one, would like some way for DIM to show (perhaps in the Show Details area) what was actually updated. Sometimes I think there's been an update because the tags have been changed. I have a spreadsheet with all the items I've downloaded through DIM and what their tags are, and sometimes that's the only change I can see.

Other than that, it would be nice to be able to know what was actually updated, especially if someone submitted a bug report because something was missing from the new zip file for the product.

Post edited by Miss B on
  • AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited December 1969

I just let them update, No noticeable changes. Nothing to worry about...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:

Pulling all the older stand alone installers and leaving just the DIM versions wasn't a good idea as many of the older ones still had the current versions. It would have been better to pull the standalone installers only when a newer version of the product was released that would be in DIM only format as the only way to tell when something was updated is to download and look at the files now.

My guess is that they are pulling the installers for ordinary content (as opposed to plugins/software) because of the number of times people are confused over what they need to download. Since the DIM zips and installers have the same content, it was just causing confusion to have both available.

I don't use DIM because of limited net access and prefer to have actually installers. Plus, I sometimes am on a temp work computer that has no net access because of security issues that I need to load DAZ stuff on to do evidence displays.

You can install with DIM in offline mode -- next time you need to download an installer, download the zip instead, sneaker-net it into the downloads folder on the offline machine, and install with DIM there.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

I don't use DIM and unless I'm mistaken, all I need to do s go to Product Library and look and see if the version number has changed, right? I normally install when I'm getting ready to use it.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 1969

The Product Library doesn't show version numbers for DIM ZIP files. (:

edited June 2013

Post is invalid thanks to Barbult. lol

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Well, guess it doesn't matter if I a downloading when I need it, it will be the latest file there is :)