Shading domain/surface names in Hexagon

OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

Yesterday I UV-mapped an article of clothing I had made in Hexagon, and assigned and named shading domains, and saved it as an obj. When I imported the obj into Daz Studio, the surfaces still existed but had defaulted to "surface61", "surface63" etc. The default mat for unassigned faces was also still showing up in the list of surfaces (no result when selected) even though I had assigned all the faces to the other surfaces. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Odaa said:

Yesterday I UV-mapped an article of clothing I had made in Hexagon, and assigned and named shading domains, and saved it as an obj. When I imported the obj into Daz Studio, the surfaces still existed but had defaulted to "surface61", "surface63" etc. The default mat for unassigned faces was also still showing up in the list of surfaces (no result when selected) even though I had assigned all the faces to the other surfaces. What am I doing wrong?

that's Hexagon

you will still get a remnant material which correlates to the default shading domain I guess - don't worry too much about it

have a look at the OBJ and Hexagon cube I made

maybe this will help

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited May 2018

Normally when I mess up with shading domains it is because I did not check the domains have been assigned to a material. So now (read "now" as "when I remember" smiley) I click on the object name, check that the domain name is highlighted, then check the material is chosen. 

So when I click on the cube face, the part in the Scene tree changes to the "Face" as does the Shading Domain, Material and Material Name.

domains selected.jpg
    1915 x 1007 - 218K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

Good advice, thank you both!

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375

I rename stuff after importing to my rendering app.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

I rename stuff after importing to my rendering app.

Yeah, that's probably what I will end up doing :) thank you!
  • mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515

I am a first-time user of Hexagon, trying to prepare shading domains on an obj model that was originally created in 3DS. This problem is one I've been struggling with too, but comparing your excellent screenshot with my screen I notice that on yours somehow the Scene tree indicates the Cube Face in addition to the whole Cube object. My object is a rowing machine - much more complex than the cube, but only ever shows "Rowing Machine" in the Scene tree, no matter what portion(s) of it I select... that is: it's a "tree" with only a "trunk". Wondering why, and if this is causing problems for me.

Any ideas, Wee Dangerous John? Thanks in advance for any help!

SceneTree.png
    1920 x 1041 - 218K
  • Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited June 2018

This might work but cannot promise anything. 

Option 1. With the shading domain selected, press CTRL&X then CTRL&V to cut and paste that part of the model. Rename it in the scene tree - Repeat for other parts.

Option 2. If you have layed parts of the prop on the same UV map or given them the same domain name, go into UV view, select a face (shift and + increases selection) then CTRL&X then CTRL&V to get the part back - Repeat for other parts.

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515

Oh great! Trying Option 1 and it's working. Hopefully this will allow me to complete this prop. Thanks loads John!

• Glad I could help :)

• ViallyVially Posts: 343
    edited July 2018

Keep in mind that when you do the CTRL+X (cut), CTRL+V (paste), you are essentially creating NEW base geometry, and the newly created item will show at the bottom of your tree. Note the structure... You are going to wind up with something that looks like:

• RowingMachine2
    • Shape 1
    • Shape 2

and not:

• RowingMachine2
      • Shape 1
      • Shape 2

This is because they are no longer within the same object group, each new shape is exactly that, a new shape, within the whole model. Not really a huge deal, but it can lead to confusion later if you cut and paste ALL the items from within your RowingMachine2 object. You will wind up (eventually) with an empty object name.

Fix is easy, select the items in the tree view you want to have within the same group, right click and select "Group in the root". This will create a new group1 that you can rename to whatever you like. This will create the proper tree structure, the new group will have all the items selected under it. It will also create a center point for movement of all items within that group. As an exampole the seat of your rowing machine has the actual seat, the suppport mechagnism and the frame underneath it, all of which will become new items, each with it's own X, Y, Z, translation points. you will be able to move any frame work out from under the seat. Once regrouped, then the seat and any underlying structure becomes one unit, that can be moved back and forth along the rails in one piece.

Hope that helps and makes sense. New to Hex as well, it's just one of those things I "found" out while doing exactly what you are doing. :)

P.S. not sure if Hex allows for sub groups within groups, have not gotten that far in my need to put things back together

Post edited by Vially on