Sending to DAZ (Smoothing issue)

jwainscottjwainscott Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I'm trying to send an object from Hexagon into DAZ but have a problem with smoothing. Let me use a bullet as an example shape. I created a sphere then removed half of it so now it's a dome. I select an edge, loop, then extrude to create a cylindrical body. At the end of the cylinder, I spread the edge, extrude a bit more then close the shape to make a hard rimmed edge.

When I export to DAZ, the object gets smoothed which is good for the dome head but the rim is softened too. If I turn smoothing off in DAZ, the rim is now sharp but the dome is chunky.

Is there a standard way of mixing hard and smooth objects in a mesh? My thoughts are:
* Creating the rim as a separate object and just not welding them together.
* Increasing the poly count on the dome until it looks smooth even with DAZ smoothing turned off.
* Is there a way to take the object in DAZ and this part is smooth, but this part is not?

Thanks

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Select the surface in D|S, then look at the Surfaces Tab. Right at the bottom is a section on the smoothing parameters: you can turn it on or off for that surface, and also change the smoothing angle (the point at which smoothing is applied). The default is a hair short of a 90° angle, if you experiment a bit you'll find a value where smoothing applies to all the curved surfaces except the rim. For non-organic objects I usually start at about 25­­° and work up and down from there until I hit something that works.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Select the surface in D|S, then look at the Surfaces Tab. Right at the bottom is a section on the smoothing parameters: you can turn it on or off for that surface, and also change the smoothing angle (the point at which smoothing is applied). The default is a hair short of a 90° angle, if you experiment a bit you'll find a value where smoothing applies to all the curved surfaces except the rim. For non-organic objects I usually start at about 25­­° and work up and down from there until I hit something that works.

Another option is to add a few more polys in hex by extruding new edges either side of where you want a sharp edge and move them in close to the original edge.

• jwainscottjwainscott Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks! I actually used both techniques. I recreated my object with more facets to get a smoother initial appearance then after sending to DAZ I adjusted the control and got the final shape I was looking for.