Victoria 6 has been released.

Comments

• FobokFobok Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

I'm probably going to get V6, because I really love the idea of more morphable/posable faces. However, Genesis 1 will likely still be my primary figure for quite some time. First of all, I have content for it, though not as much as a lot of people. Still, the Super Suit alone is one of my primary pieces of content. Secondly, most of my renders involve kids or teens, which is unsupported in Genesis 2, (unless that was corrected earlier in this thread, I skipped quite a few pages).

Still, it will be nice to be able to make more unique faces for my renders. I hope M6 doesn't take too long to follow after. Though, I don't mind if it's a month or two, as I really been growing bored of the sets I have, and don't really have the money to buy both a figure and a set. (At least, the Stonemason sets I've had my eye on.)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Given that Genesis and Genesis 2 are build largely on the same underlying technology (as far as I can tell, anyway), I would be extremely surprised if a future change to Studio broken Genesis but not Genesis 2.

But the question is, if a future change to Studio breaks both Genesis 1 and Genesis 2, will both be fixed, or will only Genesis 2 be fixed and Genesis 1 (intentionaly) won´t?

Changes in the early days of DS4 broke Michael 2. The number of people who still use him is pretty small, but they fixed DS4.

They broke geometry switching - and not only M2, but some other things sold in the store need geometry switching to work. That may have been some incentive. ;)

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

I was wondering: if Genesis is going to be a valuable alternative to G2F/G2M figures, where is official G2F autofit for Genesis so we can fit new clothes back to unisex figure?

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited June 2013

It would be nice to see a 'true Genesis' figure with some of the advances such as improved weight maps, some improvements to the face for better expressions. A good balance between tweaking it and keeping it light enough we could use multiples of them in a scene without bogging it down too much.... and I agree with Kattey, it would be nice if we had a way to port clothing back/forth somewhat...

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Fobok1 said:
    I'm probably going to get V6, because I really love the idea of more morphable/posable faces. However, Genesis 1 will likely still be my primary figure for quite some time. First of all, I have content for it, though not as much as a lot of people. Still, the Super Suit alone is one of my primary pieces of content. Secondly, most of my renders involve kids or teens, which is unsupported in Genesis 2, (unless that was corrected earlier in this thread, I skipped quite a few pages).

Still, it will be nice to be able to make more unique faces for my renders. I hope M6 doesn't take too long to follow after. Though, I don't mind if it's a month or two, as I really been growing bored of the sets I have, and don't really have the money to buy both a figure and a set. (At least, the Stonemason sets I've had my eye on.)

A month or two? M6 is at least 6 months away, if not more. That's usually how long it takes for a new Michael to come out after a new Victoria is released.

• edited December 1969

Well i bought the V6 bundle and on the whole i am not disappointed - but there does seem to be one glaring problem. Clothes from V4/Genesis can fit V6 but V6 clothing cannot be used on V4/Genesis.

So while i did buy V6, i am very, very reluctant to buy items that will not be backward compatible with other figures. Of course, at some point in the future clothing may be released for G2F that is so clearly superior that it will be difficult to resist but i am not seeing anything like that so far.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,666
    edited December 1969

On the whole, V4 clothing seems way superior to genesis clothing. I mean, yeah a lot of genesis clothes look nice. Then I load them up, click on them, look for the movement and open morphs Etc, and they aren't there.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited June 2013

Mr Bowen said:
    A BUG IN THE G2 MORPHS
    The Breasts flatten and hang poses move the eyes and square the pupils. Actually kinda surprised that was missed.

Not only that, tweaking the left or right flatten/hang dials messes with both eyes. Major glitch there. Anyone put in a bug report yet so we can all pile on with "encouragement"?
    Post edited by SpottedKitty on
    edited December 1969

I am not seeing those morphs at all.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Given that Genesis and Genesis 2 are build largely on the same underlying technology (as far as I can tell, anyway), I would be extremely surprised if a future change to Studio broken Genesis but not Genesis 2.

But the question is, if a future change to Studio breaks both Genesis 1 and Genesis 2, will both be fixed, or will only Genesis 2 be fixed and Genesis 1 (intentionaly) won´t?

Yes that is the more summarized the heart of the question and I did get an answer.

DAZ3D has no intention of dropping support for Genesis 1. :O) That was the answer I got :O) So I'd say you have nothing to worry about on the DAZ Studio front there :O)

Please pardon my pessimism.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

I honestly hope m6 is not 6 months away. I would hope the product is well underway in development if not in the testing phase.

But then again, I do mostly male renders, and would prefer that the product be released sooner rather than later.

edited December 1969

TheKD said:
    I am not seeing those morphs at all.

Select the main body part and at the bottom of the Parameter Tab you'll see a section "Pose Controls". Open that, open the sub-section for "torso" (I think that's it, I'm doing a render just now so I can't check) and you'll see the breast movement dials. Most of them are in sets of three, for both/left/right.
  • Mr BowenMr Bowen Posts: 377
    edited June 2013

yes. all of the dials for flatten and hang do it. The single sliders move the respective r/l pairs of sliders.
    I submitted a report already.

Post edited by Mr Bowen on
    edited December 1969

Ah thanks, I missed that whole section of pose controls. Hard to get the hang of pose controls being all over the place, instead of selecting that part like I do with V4....

squared_eyes.jpg
    600 x 600 - 157K
    edited December 1969

TheKD said:
    I missed that whole section of pose controls. Hard to get the hang of pose controls being all over the place,

There are also other "local" sets of pose controls, if you have the head, hands or feet selected, and there might be others I haven't found yet.
  • peteVaultpeteVault Posts: 308
    edited December 1969

I used V6 Candace for this shot.

Spherical_lens.jpg
    744 x 538 - 158K
  • Mr BowenMr Bowen Posts: 377
    edited June 2013

Any chance Daz would release the light(s) from the V6 Base product page renders to those who bought/buy her?
    Please?

Post edited by Mr Bowen on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

I installed Studio 4.6 when the public version was released. Do I have to reinstall to get the G2 starter essentials? Is the Genesis 2 base already in Studio?

I just want to know what I'm supposed to do though I'm not planning to install V6 for possibly a long time yet. I grabbed the Pro bundle and a couple of things but that is that and unless something really special comes along, I can wait.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

No you have to download and install G2 starter essentials from your product library, it is also in the DIM if you use that.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

anikad said:
    No you have to download and install G2 starter essentials from your product library, it is also in the DIM if you use that.

Thanks. I didn't see it in DIM. Off to the Product Lib

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    anikad said:

Thanks. I didn't see it in DIM. Off to the Product Lib

Look for "starter essentials" - and you will get it.

• Chris BarnesChris Barnes Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

A month or two? M6 is at least 6 months away, if not more. That's usually how long it takes for a new Michael to come out after a new Victoria is released.

I think things have changed a bit over last year or so. Daz seems to like a big release almost every month now. M6 could be here within the next 2 months. Maybe even less.

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Fobok1 said:
    Secondly, most of my renders involve kids or teens, which is unsupported in Genesis 2, (unless that was corrected earlier in this thread, I skipped quite a few pages).

There are free teen morphs on ShareCG, two of them support Gen2: http://www.sharecg.com/v/69961/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Genesis-2-Female-Teen, http://www.sharecg.com/v/69969/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Genesis-2-Girl-Teen-Morph. As for M6, I'm afraid we must prepare for at least several weeks of waiting.

The longer I think about Gen2, the more confident I become that it's mainly designed for people whose art is very gender-specific. Let's say there's a bunch of DS/Poser users on DA who do only pin-ups (I don't want to involve in discussion of our opinions on such short array of topics). Others do nearly only male superhero renders. They probably enjoy the idea of gender-specific figures. I don't, but feel free to disagree with me :).

PS What the heck is going on with those emoticons? They don't display properly!!! :blank:

edited June 2013

Not just gender specific, think of a base fantasy figure like Troll, Elf, Dwarf, where the base mesh is optimized for that character and the morphs off of that are all from that optimized base mesh. The amount of detail in various versions of that character style could be amazing.

The idea of taking the concepts of Genesis into individual specific Mesh forms is powerful, and a separate one from keeping a central base mesh that can cross genres. This concept is at the heart of the two branches I've been writing about, the next step I believe in the revolution in character creation.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited June 2013

The longer I think about Gen2, the more confident I become that it's mainly designed for people whose art is very gender-specific.

I would probably say that it is designed for people who want gender specific enhancements that may not have been viable with the gender neutral world. It's not so much that the art is gender specific, you can have a man and a woman in a scene together. But you may want each figure to really showcase the gender as best as possible.

They probably enjoy the idea of gender-specific figures

Not really, but I do like gender-specific enhancements. And if they have to make separate figures for that, I can deal.
    Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,429
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Not just gender specific, think of a base fantasy figure like Troll, Elf, Dwarf, where the base mesh is optimized for that character and the morphs off of that are all from that optimized base mesh. The amount of detail in various versions of that character style could be amazing.

The idea of taking the concepts of Genesis into individual specific Mesh forms is powerful, and a separate one from keeping a central base mesh that can cross genres. This concept is at the heart of the two branches I've been writing about, the next step I believe in the revolution in character creation.

"Oh, you want to make a female dwarf? I'm sorry, I haven't yet made the mesh for that."

edited June 2013

You bring up a good point. Part of that concept incorporates better tools for generating new base meshes off of a generalized base mesh, as well as tools to migrate content between meshes. Splitting content libraries up is not a good solution, and the whole process needs to be updated and streamlined.

Again, this is a more long term vision that is not one DAZ has put forth... one can only hope they consider it.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

I actually like to mix-n-match my morphs, best, particularly the faces. I find it helpful to add a bit masculine to v5 to tone down the doll quality for certain characters. Not being able to do that is a bit regressive in g6.

I still really like g6. But there are uses for mixing genders, and I can't see, particularly in the face why this should be that hard to do.

edited June 2013

Having different base meshes doesn't necessarily preclude mixing morphs, it's just a 'your mileage may vary' type of scenario when transferring a morph from a different mesh to the different polygon setup. That is, one could have a M6, mix it into V6 but the 'fit' wouldn't be exact as the base topology is different. It is a compromise over a true single mesh base in some ways but one that brings the ability to give much more detail to our characters, especially over time and with refinements, while still allowing some of the flexibility a single mesh offers.

This of course offers a whole new level of complexity in the design that DAZ may or may not be prepared to take on.

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Again, this is a more long term vision that is not one DAZ has put forth... one can only hope they consider it.

Did I miss something. Where can I find DAZ's vision, long term or short term?