Reaper Bot On Sale Now! [Commercial]

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

I had a webcomic set in the far future where robots often wear clothes or uniforms if they happen to look somewhat human, and to underline that they are people, not just tools. People wear clothes.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755

The robot would have to be completely sealed against the elements for that purpose.

Where did you get that from?

1) There could only be problematic areas. You buy a lens cap for a camera, many phone cases don't cover the front or the camera aperature. We wear boots to keep our feet from getting wet and a hat for heads but don't always wear a rain coat with them.

2) You're not the writer of every piece of science fiction. If someone writes/creates a universe that robots wear (fashionable) clothing, they wrote a universe where robots wear clothing. And?

Could see some artists wanting to clothe their droids for purely stylistic reasons, but not for realistic renders.

Please don't do that weird thing where people assign realistic expectations to unrealistic/non-existing/fantasy things and scenarios.

Any of these robots look made for realistic renders?

Which all sounds excessive until you remember humans dress pets, add nuts to trucks, skirts and "bras" to the front of cars.

So it honestly might be simply be the decision of the robot's owner. Or to further mark the robot for its purpose or role.

So to go further with a completely covered bot, we're talking a spacesuit. A robot inside a space suit.

We're also not considering a changing role. Robot might have been built without a particular function or ability and the clothing adds that.

The M-1 46 units always jammed up because the neck area wasn't properly fitted and sealed- so scavengers added neck wraps to seal the gaps.

Or pirate ships flew flags and armies march with banners. Sports team have colorful uniforms to mark them.

I had a webcomic set in the far future where robots often wear clothes or uniforms if they happen to look somewhat human, and to underline that they are people, not just tools. People wear clothes.

The fact that the robots are humanoid already says so much.

Suppose it's the robots choice and they do it to mimic human behavior(s)?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

A spacesuit is also not outlandish; if you think about random equipment, most of it will fail in a vacuum unless it’s soecifically sealed or designed to handle vacuum (and at that the transition between atmosphere and vacuum constitutes wear and tear)

Also, vacuum protection would require more effort/cost.

• AntMan said:

Here is one of two options I am doing for the arms, an arm Cannon and an arm blade not shown here. Done rigging but more work to do.

Nice renders!...very clean and crisp.

Hope this sells well for you,

-P

• AntManAntMan Posts: 2,019
    edited May 2018
    AntMan said:

Here is one of two options I am doing for the arms, an arm Cannon and an arm blade not shown here. Done rigging but more work to do.

Nice renders!...very clean and crisp.

Hope this sells well for you,

-P

Hey Thanks! Grass & Meadow World builder looks like a winner should be a big hit!!!

On the topic of clothes, if I remember correctly the big problem with theis guy I made was that they couldn't get him naked. Which as odd as that sounds, I understood what they meant. And Robots in space suits just look really cool and need no excuse!

workbot-large.jpg
    593 x 754 - 158K
    Post edited by AntMan on
  • XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

Griffin Avid said:

The robot would have to be completely sealed against the elements for that purpose.

Where did you get that from?

1) There could only be problematic areas. You buy a lens cap for a camera, many phone cases don't cover the front or the camera aperature. We wear boots to keep our feet from getting wet and a hat for heads but don't always wear a rain coat with them.

2) You're not the writer of every piece of science fiction. If someone writes/creates a universe that robots wear (fashionable) clothing, they wrote a universe where robots wear clothing. And?

Could see some artists wanting to clothe their droids for purely stylistic reasons, but not for realistic renders.

Please don't do that weird thing where people assign realistic expectations to unrealistic/non-existing/fantasy things and scenarios.

Any of these robots look made for realistic renders?

When did I declare any such thing of myself? I never claimed I was "the writer of every piece of science-fiction." I have some knowledge and training of real AI and robotics. My father was an engineer in the RAF, too. There's no need to snap at me. Yes, someone can​ come up with story-based reasons to have optional clothing on a droid. However, those for whom realism is more of a priority would - just as easily - point out that things like loose fibres and torn fabric could pose every bit as much of a danger as dust would, if ingested or trapped.

Whether someone considers that relevant is their own choice. I was simply making more of a general point about how robotic machines would function in the real world. What one does with that knowledge - if anything - is, obviously, up to them. One artist will be guided by anthropomorphic instinct, while another will not. Same goes for artists who are rendering pictures where animals feature - some will chooose to depict them as wearing clothes or adopting other human traits, while others will not. Just because a zoologist would tell you small animals can't speak English, doesn't diminish the entertainment value of watching a Disney cartoon. :)

As I say, Ant Farm's new model looks​ great and I plan to get it.

There's no need to snap at me.

Yes, I re-read my response and it does have an unintentional "snappy" tone. Sorry about that.

I was simply making more of a general point about how robotic machines would function in the real world.

'...that weird thing where people assign realistic expectations to unrealistic/non-existing/fantasy things and scenarios.'

--------------------

A better question is what are you going to do with the robot what kind of robot themes are you into?

I see him as a character...an important one. Not really the mindless drone. Maybe some textures make the army or mass swarm, but some versions are specialized. He has a lot of character. And for some strange reason, I see him fightning Superman.

My most immediate use would be for that of futuristic propaganda posters. :) The robotic skull is ideal for that aesthetic.

I am including the skull with a rigged jaw as a standalone prop in the set so you can swap out other character heads for it. Not to ingnite a debate... but you could use it with a spacesuit, the skull looking out from behind the visor glass. 

Ooh! That makes me want to create a pile of them, using all the different materials...

• Patrick TynerPatrick Tyner Posts: 640
    Data wore clothes. So did the robot on the Jetsons.
  • Joe WebbJoe Webb Posts: 837
    AntMan said:

I am including the skull with a rigged jaw as a standalone prop in the set so you can swap out other character heads for it. Not to ingnite a debate... but you could use it with a spacesuit, the skull looking out from behind the visor glass. 

Space Kook!

• SadeSade Posts: 883

he is just so cool

The Reaper bot is here and on sale. Time to make some Art!!!

https://www.daz3d.com/reaper-bot-and-poses

And check out these paint jobs from Sade and Retrodevil

https://www.daz3d.com/judgement-day-textures-for-reaper-bot

No reaper renders!!! Come on guys are better than this. This might just cause me to switch over, start making ladies shoes. People love to render ladies shoes... just try and stop them. Fancy hats too. Robots don't wear no fancy hats... or ladies shoes.

For the love of Pete, no ladies shoes from The AntMan!

A Boy and His Dog

Done in the style of an old paperback cover. I hope.

Boy and His Dog.jpg
    1039 x 1625 - 3M

For the love of Pete, no ladies shoes from The AntMan!

A Boy and His Dog

Done in the style of an old paperback cover. I hope.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,301

When the right hand is selected the Grasp Thumb dial also bends the Thumb on the left hand - is this suppose to happen?

Joe , Very Cool!!!

Scorpio that sounds like Glitch and not a feature, I will have to take a look. I hope everything is else is working for you. Sorry for any inconvenience. 

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

I got mine!

No time to render at the moment, but looking forward to using him.

Thanks for another awesome character.

-- Walt Sterdan

AntMan said:

Joe , Very Cool!!!

Scorpio that sounds like Glitch and not a feature, I will have to take a look. I hope everything is else is working for you. Sorry for any inconvenience. 

Yes everything else is great, its not that much of a problem I just thought it a little odd.

That sums up just about everything I make! ; )

AntMan said:

That sums up just about everything I make! ; )

Lol yes but in a very cool way.

• HoMartHoMart Posts: 480
    AntMan said:

No reaper renders!!! Come on guys are better than this. This might just cause me to switch over, start making ladies shoes. People love to render ladies shoes... just try and stop them. Fancy hats too. Robots don't wear no fancy hats... or ladies shoes.

Its in the Gallery since the day of release

Thanks for posting here as well! He looks like he is going to kick some.... butt. Very Nice!

• SaldazSaldaz Posts: 168
    edited June 2018

Reaper and Nenana

Reaper and Nenana.jpg
    2048 x 1229 - 447K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Td3dTd3d Posts: 412

Just picked Reaper Bot up with the texture pack. Very nice job AntMan, This guy's cool. I love his head. He's just got a very cool look about him :)

Saldaz, Very cool thanks for sharing that with us!!!

Td3d Thanks as well, glad you like him.