Victoria 6 has been released.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited June 2013

Cayman said:
    It looks like Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female is pretty much a mandatory purchase if you want to use V4 skins.

Yes, it's an mandatory, but that was included in gen5 and now it's optinal and we have to pay for it.

yes, totally optional, although if you bought one of many character/textures that came out TWO WEEKS AGO that curiously used v4 UVs instead of v5, your options are "never use them with the new figure" or "buy the optional mandatory pack" lol

You could also use Map Transfer in DS to bake V4 maps to V5 (assuming you have the V5 UVs for G1) and then apply those to G2. Note that the V4 add-on for G2F is a PA item, not a DAZ item, which means it can't be bundled as it stands.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    has anyone tried a Genesis 1 pose on the Genesis 2 Female? I'm curious to see how poses translate - I know the Gen4 poses worked ok on Genesis 1, with some tweaking of feet and hands/fingers; just wondering if ti's the same with Genesis 2.

The ones I tried worked okay Jaki...

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

I had some success with transferring Genesis morphs (of mostly unisex variety) to Genesis 2 Female.
    Anybody is curious enough to try it and tell me how it worked for you?
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24093/

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    jakiblue said:
    has anyone tried a Genesis 1 pose on the Genesis 2 Female? I'm curious to see how poses translate - I know the Gen4 poses worked ok on Genesis 1, with some tweaking of feet and hands/fingers; just wondering if ti's the same with Genesis 2.

The ones I tried worked okay Jaki...

cool, thanks Pendraia!

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Having fooled around with this for a little bit now:

DO download and install G2F Starter Essentials -- it's free, so no harm done
    DO buy the G2F morphs bundle (painful as it is to re-buy things we already have)
    DO NOT buy V6

All the stuff you really need is in the morphs bundle. V5 brought a bunch of morphs (breast shapes/etc) with her -- those are now in the G2F morphs bundle. V6 is nothing more than a new head shape morph, body (full sans head) morph, yet another pointless UV map, and a skin. There is very little value in V6 herself now. You don't even get a supermodel morph. And personally, I think G2F base shape looks a lot better than V6's shape does.

There are some nice changes in G2F itself with regards to surfaces, bones, bending. Clothing will be a mess since auto-fit is a joke. But you can save your money on V6, unless you really like her look.

thanks for this, cwichura! I'm thinking the morphs bundle and that V4 to Gen2 products are the only things I'll get. If I stumble across a new character that I just have to have that uses the new V6 UV, then I'll consider getting the base figure then. But right now, I'm not interested in either of the bundles - which surprises the heck out of me, cos this will be the FIRST Pro bundle that I've never bought. LOL

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,044
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    Xena said:
    jakiblue said:

Hands need tweaking because Genesis 2 has straight fingers.

well, that's ok. Not worried about that. But generally, a Genesis 1 pose will work pretty much exactly right?

Yep, Pretty much. Even a V4 pose isnt too bad, Just use that script thing to adjust the rotations. Might need a gen2 update.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Something to keep in mind, Genesis has less polys then Gen4. For characters that aren't meant to be main characters this is a good thing, and a big part of why I believe Gen5 will be around for a long time. The mesh is optimized for what will probably be low poly in the near future for characters. Hence, it outliving Gen6 very possibly (probably?)

I will be looking to do some main characters in Gen6 as it does appear to be a step forward in detail and functionality for specific instances.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

If DAZ is going back to the gender/age split figures then they should go back to the Gen4 type bundles. Both the Starter and Pro Bundles for the Gen 4 came with the Morphs+++.

Actually now that I take a look back, the Genesis 2 female morph packs are bigger step back to Gen 3 where there were separate head and body morph packs. Gen 4 sold you one morph set that included head, body and expression.

I didn't really notice this as the Evolution Morphs came out well before V5 and while you needed some Evo morphs for V5 characters, most you didn't. I'm not a big Genesis user as it is a royal pain to get into Poser at times but still...

• PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:

DO buy the G2F morphs bundle (painful as it is to re-buy things we already have)
    DO NOT buy V6

All the stuff you really need is in the morphs bundle. V5 brought a bunch of morphs (breast shapes/etc) with her -- those are now in the G2F morphs bundle. V6 is nothing more than a new head shape morph, body (full sans head) morph, yet another pointless UV map, and a skin. There is very little value in V6 herself now. You don't even get a supermodel morph. And personally, I think G2F base shape looks a lot better than V6's shape does.

There are some nice changes in G2F itself with regards to surfaces, bones, bending. Clothing will be a mess since auto-fit is a joke. But you can save your money on V6, unless you really like her look.

So, with just G2 Starter Essentials + G2 Morphs Bundle, I can use all my G1 characters and textures with the new G2 figure? That would be great news.

Peter.

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:

DO NOT buy V6

So, with just G2 Starter Essentials + G2 Morphs Bundle, I can use all my G1 characters and textures with the new G2 figure? That would be great news.

Peter.

You may need the V4 for Genesis 2 pack to use V4 skins though I'm not 100% clear on that yet. This would include any V5 skins that used the V4 UV maps that were default in Genesis 1. Genesis 2 base figure comes with 2 UV maps (Base Female and V5) so you'd need some way to get other UV maps onto her.

edited December 1969

Sisca said:
    cwichura said:

DO NOT buy V6

Peter.

You may need the V4 for Genesis 2 pack to use V4 skins though I'm not 100% clear on that yet. This would include any V5 skins that used the V4 UV maps that were default in Genesis 1. Genesis 2 base figure comes with 2 UV maps (Base Female and V5) so you'd need some way to get other UV maps onto her.

From what I understood from this thread you just need to save textures as *.duf files, no purchase needed.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited June 2013

Peter.

Well, characters... I am not so sure Genesis 1 characters can translate to Genesis 2 quite simply. Genesis 2 has a separate jaw after all and other facial differencies which makes it in my opinion hard if not impossible to make such a transfer.

Post edited by Proxima Shining on
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:

DO NOT buy V6

Peter.

No, but having the morphs will give a more-or-less equivalent set of base morphs. Textures will need baking if they use the V4 (or other not supported) UV set and you don't have an add-on, custom morphs and morphs not yet available in G2F versions will need replacing.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

So, with just G2 Starter Essentials + G2 Morphs Bundle, I can use all my G1 characters and textures with the new G2 figure?

No.

Genesis morphs won't work on G2F. So character morphs won't work. Dial-spun shapes will kind of work (the morph names look to be the same), but the base shape is different from Genesis, so there will still be differences in look.

As for textures, G2F supports V5's UV map. So if your Genesis content uses that mapping, then you can use the textures on G2F. However, most vendors still use the V4 mapping on Genesis, which won't work unless you also buy the V4 support for G2F sold by MallenLane.

edited December 1969

cwichura said:

As for textures, G2F supports V5's UV map. So if your Genesis content uses that mapping, then you can use the textures on G2F. However, most vendors still use the V4 mapping on Genesis, which won't work unless you also buy the V4 support for G2F sold by MallenLane.

You sure about the latter part? From this thread I got impression that it isn't needed.
    edited June 2013

Removed because cross-post made it redundant.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,325
    edited June 2013

Note that the V4 add-on for G2F is a PA item, not a DAZ item, which means it can't be bundled as it stands.

Why is an important morph shape like that NOT a DAZ 3D item.

I admit that I do not have a gaming license or 3d printing license (yet).

But I can allready see how the fact that I would not be able to use the V4 shape on Genesis 2 female would not let me use so much other DAZ content.

This really seems well...

I am out of polite words.

It is just plain wrong in so many ways.

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    cwichura said:

You sure about the latter part? From this thread I got impression that it isn't needed.

Yes, you need the V4 shape to get the V4 UV. The V4 UV is no longer a standard UV.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    cwichura said:
    which won't work unless you also buy the V4 support for G2F sold by MallenLane.

That thread is talking about conversion of non-.DUF format material presets using V4 skins into .DUF format so they will work with G2F. You still need the V4 UV map support for G2F, however, which is what is in MallenLane's add-on.

You need to convert non-DUF to DUF because G2F uses new surface names, with surface selections to match the old surface names (e.g., 1_SkinFace). With DUF files, old surface names get mapped by the surface selections into the new surface names. But .pz2 or .dsf material presets don't see the surface selections, so won't apply anything.

edited December 1969

Thank you for the clarification cwichura, it cleared up specifics that were not fully clear (to me at least.)

• edited December 1969

So are there backward compatibility problems between Victoria 6 and genesis? I have read through both this thread and the information released by Daz. A lot of the info here goes over my head and the Daz material continues to be so opaque that i'm starting to believe that they are being deliberately mysterious.

I like the idea of a new model with greater detail but if none of the shoes i have (for example) will work on her then i won't buy it - especially if i will have to shell out the same amount of money for David 6.

P.S. I also think it's a bit of a dirty trick to include much needed morphs etc outside of the Pro bundle.

edited December 1969

Well, as for items such as shoes... the 'Send Geometry to Hexagon' feature, along with understanding how to smooth and modify things and bring them back look like a very useful bit of functionality to learn to continue to use one's library moving forward.

• dan.shivedan.shive Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm really disappointed about the shoe issues. Both G1 and G2 have flatfooted default poses. I don't understand why they couldn't have a transfer script that works properly for the majority of shoes, or even a second script for elevated footwear. That doesn't mean there isn't a good reason, of course, but it sure feels like a bug.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    cwichura said:

Yes, you need the V4 shape to get the V4 UV. The V4 UV is no longer a standard UV.

The most used UV not considered standard, LOL. Yeah that makes sense. Business sense!

• PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Thank you for the clarification cwichura, it cleared up specifics that were not fully clear (to me at least.)

Join the club, it's starting to clear up now :

I can use my V5 materials with G2 (if they are V5 UV mapped)
    I can use V4 + V5 materials (if they are V4 UV mapped) with G2 if I use the 'Victoria4 for Genesis2' utility. But first I have to make sure they're in .duf format.
    I'll have to adjust the morphs myself with the 'G2 Head + Body Morph' utility (already purchased).

Peter.

edited June 2013

Good synopsis :)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

For those looking for Genesis 2 Female, it should already be in your account, if you have DAZ Studio in your account. Just open up Install Manager and it should already be there. (Or you can do it the hard way if you prefer and use the Product Library from the "my account" page.)

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited December 1969

Genesis 2 has some neat features. I quite like the pose-able lower jaw. Allows for some neat expressions. Overall, I will go the free G2 base plus morph bundle and V4 shape route. That's a small investment and once D3D comes out with a GenX add-on I can use my other morphs, too. Genesis 1 will stay my go to figure from some time (as are V4, M4, V3, M3, and D3..., I use them all).
    Ciao
    TD

G2.jpg
    800 x 1317 - 376K
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Ok, I am probably going to sound incredibly stupid here but my brain is currently on overload trying to sort all this out. Especially since the DAZ P'TB have chosen not to give any clear, concise and useable information.

So, how the heck do I convert a standard V4 texture, one that was not made by DAZ or a DAZ PA, and turn it into a DUF? I have DS 4.5 (I haven't upgraded because I didn't need to).

edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    Ok, I am probably going to sound incredibly stupid here but my brain is currently on overload trying to sort all this out. Especially since the DAZ P'TB have chosen not to give any clear, concise and useable information.

So, how the heck do I convert a standard V4 texture, one that was not made by DAZ or a DAZ PA, and turn it into a DUF? I have DS 4.5 (I haven't upgraded because I didn't need to).

Apply the texture to Genesis (1), save as a Materials Preset.