Victoria 6 has been released.

Comments

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

That all has nothing to do with the sensational UNIMESH that DAZ provided with Genesis 5. You need to buy first V6, the you need again to buy M6, then the Freak 6, David, 6, Aiko 6, Hiro 6 and of course all the releated single clothing, 'cause you can't use the clothes from one Gen6 charcter on another. And in a year you can celebrate the same with Gen7 again.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    No surprise, but the G2 Female Genitalia look to be the same as the current nerfed-to-hell Genesis Female Genitalia, making them pointless, based on the included files (e.g., no separate mat zone for the 'inside bits', no morphs, etc). So no point in buying the pro bundle for them, as I'm sure people will do the genital crease morphs for G2F just like the multiple versions (including free ones) that exist for Genesis.

thank you for sharing this. And thanks to all who have posted information. I will skip this figure, but I have installed the starter essentials to give a look. I am unimpressed with the new direction and find the pro bundle to be blah.

Iconic shapes aren't even available other than V4. Basically no purpose for me in this figure. In some ways I'm content that it's like this because I can save a lot of money.

Enjoy

• scathascatha Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Does this really only work for version 4.6, as that's what the essentials say?

I bought the pro bundle. No, none of those things (the V4 product, the morphs- you need to get the bundle) are included. Here's the view from my Product Library.

Seriously, the PRO bundle comes without the head and body morphs for the genesis 2 platform? So you need to buy these separately in order to create any character aside from the ones that comes with the product?

Right, not going to go through buying everything all over again, just for a slight improvement and a higher polycount.
    They've pulled this crap once too many a time.

• EwokzombieEwokzombie Posts: 70
    edited June 2013

Sorry, I may be in the minority here but I’m not impressed. Not at what it is but the constant “new figure upgrades” we don’t need. Didn’t we just get the generation 5's in the last year or so? Why would I even look at Genesis 2 and the Generation 6 figures when I didnt even get the Gen 5 ones or use Genesis once?

Sorry, but I think I’ll stick to the Gen 3 and 4 figures. I cant afford to keep “upgrading” to a new figure, especially when the Gen 5's and Genesis have barely been touched by anyone making things for them.

Out of curiosity, how long did the Gen 3's last before getting replaced?

Not sure where you're going with that, but there's a wealth of content available for Genesis currently. That said, I'm not sold on V6 either. There are some significant advancements in the figure, of that there is no doubt at all, but I'm not ready to go back to splitting the genders and having to make twice the number of purchases once again.

As much as I love the many improvements they've made to the figure, I'm still baffled by their need to separate the two sexes in this way. I've seen nothing in the figure which couldn't be achieved with a unisex mesh, and I have no doubt that there will be a male morph for her. But losing the wealth of interchangeable morphs that Genesis has makes V6 a less attractive upgrade. And no age morphs either, that one is a critical loss. It's not a fault of the figure itself, but more strong concerns about her future.

Like I said, had she come before Genesis I'd be singing her praises, but having the power of a fully unisex morphing figure is something which still trumps the competition.

Maybe for Genesis there is a wealth of things and a few for Gen 5's here at DAZ but look around and you wont find squat at other sites for Gen 5's at all. Doing a quick search for Victoria 5 at Rederosity brought up a whole 4 things (3 pose sets and 1 body morph) and while Genesis has a bit more there, it still it’s a drop in the bucket compared to anything compared to the Gen 4 content for as long as they have been out. Now we get Genesis 2 and the start of the Generation 6's.

Oh, yea what a shocker. "Notify me via email when someone posts in this thread" is checked and I haven't gotten a single notice after a page (or more now) of posts because they go right into my Junk folder.

Post edited by Ewokzombie on
    edited December 1969

Ya know what, I changed my mind and picking this figure up. I just tested the Genesis 2 starter female figure and Her lower body bends better than before. It's a HUGe improvement. Sucks that my old characters can't leverage this improvement though. The crotch and butt look far more natural then i've seen even with a lot of the fixes out there for genesis.

So while I do hate how this was done, I really want my morphs for genesis on genesis 2. But I really love how the bends look. This won' t mean much to those who hate skin though.

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,131
    edited December 1969

It looks like Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female is pretty much a mandatory purchase if you want to use V4 skins.

edited June 2013

EDIT NVM figured it

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

...thing is, they could have made improved expressions as a morph pack for g1.

No, a morph does not allow changing the number of polys, just their location.

• SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
    edited December 1969

Shame there isn't more ethnic diversity with any of the morph or texture bundles, straight off the bat. I'm sick of caucasians, goddamnit! :p I always use the Ethnic Morphs for Gen1!

I like some of the outfits with the V6 Pro Bundle and the AprilYSH hair but that's about it. The other hairstyles aren't great and I don't need, like, 4 pose sets. Skins are always handy - but GODDAMNCAUCASIAN. Arrghh! (Feeling racist toward my own race, but hey... >_<)</p>

Good price though and I DO like the One Freebie a Day...

Hmm...

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

Cayman said:
    It looks like Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female is pretty much a mandatory purchase if you want to use V4 skins.

Yes, it's an mandatory, but that was included in gen5 and now it's optinal and we have to pay for it.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Coon Ra said:
    Does Genesis 2 Female Genitalia belong to pro bundle only? Could someone confirm, please? Is it released with some different product?
    It's in the Pro bundle only. But don't worry about it, since they're the same as the nerfed Genesis Female Genitals, so they're really nothing more than a small bump.
  • scathascatha Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

nothing new there, same as with the weekly freebie, right?

• AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited December 1969

Cayman said:

Yes, it's an mandatory, but that was included in gen5 and now it's optinal and we have to pay for it.

yes, totally optional, although if you bought one of many character/textures that came out TWO WEEKS AGO that curiously used v4 UVs instead of v5, your options are "never use them with the new figure" or "buy the optional mandatory pack" lol

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited June 2013

Having fooled around with this for a little bit now:

DO download and install G2F Starter Essentials -- it's free, so no harm done
    DO buy the G2F morphs bundle (painful as it is to re-buy things we already have)
    DO NOT buy V6

All the stuff you really need is in the morphs bundle. V5 brought a bunch of morphs (breast shapes/etc) with her -- those are now in the G2F morphs bundle. V6 is nothing more than a new head shape morph, body (full sans head) morph, yet another pointless UV map, and a skin. There is very little value in V6 herself now. You don't even get a supermodel morph. And personally, I think G2F base shape looks a lot better than V6's shape does.

There are some nice changes in G2F itself with regards to surfaces, bones, bending. Clothing will be a mess since auto-fit is a joke. But you can save your money on V6, unless you really like her look.

Post edited by cwichura on
  • XenaXena Posts: 650
    edited December 1969

M F M said:
    jakiblue said:
    *snip* flat adventurer boots

Is that something that's likely to be coming to the store soon(tm)? (^/\^)

If I make something I think is worth selling, then yes (: But MY soon, not a Daz soon - so possibly sometime this year LOL

edited June 2013

And here she is : Genesis 2 Female

Not nesc. a comprehensive list, but what I see...

Added some polys to the face/neck, nipple, small of the back, vaginal area, elbows and knees. Retopo on the forehead, back of neck, some other head areas (probably for better extreme morphs.) Retopo in abs, hips, vaginal area and small of back, probably gluts also (for obvious reasons.)

So, summary... looks like better bending knees and elbows, better abs, hips, small of back etc.. in general, more extensive morphs and expressions in head area will probably be supported.

As for the split between m/f.. if one looks at the topo of the hips, abs, back, and especially vaginal area, it appears to be specialized somewhat to the female form. Originally, I was afraid the split was just about going back to selling more product but it appears it was at least partially if not fully due to creating a more specialized topo that would make for more defined female forms. Besides the hip area, notice the added polys in the nipple/areola area... men don't need all of those polys, but for the full range of detail in a detailed female form....

Not biased for or against in this observation, just some thoughts.

:)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited June 2013

cwichura said:

DO buy the G2F morphs bundle (painful as it is to re-buy things we already have)
    DO NOT buy V6

Thank you! I was thinking of doing just that. :)
    And go with the Bundle http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/genesis-2-female-morphs-bundle

Post edited by Kerya on
  • edited December 1969

Congrats and all that.

But why do almost all of the promo images look like something out of Las Vegas Hooker magazine?

• Coon RaCoon Ra Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:

DO NOT buy V6

All the stuff you really need is in the morphs bundle. V5 brought a bunch of morphs (breast shapes/etc) with her -- those are now in the G2F morphs bundle. V6 is nothing more than a new head shape morph, body (full sans head) morph, yet another pointless UV map, and a skin. There is very little value in V6 herself now. You don't even get a supermodel morph. And personally, I think G2F base shape looks a lot better than V6's shape does.

There are some nice changes in G2F itself with regards to surfaces, bones, bending. Clothing will be a mess since auto-fit is a joke. But you can save your money on V6, unless you really like her look.

TY very much, kept a bunch of money discading V6 and her stuffs from cart. Switched V6 stuff to v4-to-Genesis2, I have a lot of V4 skins, so, than just one new, I prefer a bunch of proven older ones. Especially as I'm almost not using DS for finish renders.
  • twallingtwalling Posts: 241
    edited December 1969

Sorry, I may be in the minority here but I’m not impressed. Not at what it is but the constant “new figure upgrades” we don’t need. Didn’t we just get the generation 5's in the last year or so? Why would I even look at Genesis 2 and the Generation 6 figures when I didnt even get the Gen 5 ones or use Genesis once?

Sorry, but I think I’ll stick to the Gen 3 and 4 figures. I cant afford to keep “upgrading” to a new figure, especially when the Gen 5's and Genesis have barely been touched by anyone making things for them.

It was a few years, as I recall, maybe 3 or even 4. V4 on the other hand, was around for a good 5 years or so. I don't understand the rush on V6 and the amazing Genesis 2 backwards leap, other than a desire to sell more "pro packs."

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

Well, to quote Dewey from 'Malcolm in the Middle': "I expected nothing and I am still disappointed!"

Seems like pretty much every single fear expressed in the pre-release threads is coming true. Except DAZ found ways to make even more more money by leaving the morphs necessary for the items IN the pro-bundle OUT of the pro-bundle. Oh you! :D

"And why not release the V4 compatibility separately? They have to buy it and it'll be extra money! Great idea!" - And they even managed to put an extra step into the workflow so one can't just one-click apply anything but DUF-Materials. I guess if you're taking a step backwards, you might as well make it a leap.

Also, they're repeating the genitals charade from genesis 1, so no surprises there.

But at least there's some great items in the pro-bundle. The characters look generic and boring (I don't generally dislike the artists involved but their not my favorites either and this certainly isn't their most interesting work). The clothing is...well, there's a bikini. Two of the outfits will probably come completely without morphs and will thus be useless outside standard t-pose and the rest...well, not good not bad, certainly not interesting. Ah, I don't dislike the hair. In fact I always liked Zyv Hair and it's nice to see it converted to V6. Not sure why they changed the name, though.

Given how much money DAZ is trying to squeeze out of their customers for minimal work with this release of their most important figure, I think we can make a good projection for how the rest of gen6 is going to be.

It'll be interesting to see just how many content creators jump on the gen6-wagon and how many stay with gen5. Imagine a world where Genesis gets half the support of what (little) it does now and Genesis 2 the other half (right from the beginning, no less!). Two figures flowing in that tiny area between life and death. While grandma V4 will still be going strong (making her the House Tyrell of 3D).

But hey: Her bending is great!

----

OK, so much for the ranting. I got a question as well. Anyone can tell me what shader the new (and rather tellingly not named 'Elite') 'Victoria 6 Material: Belle' uses?

edited December 1969

Congrats and all that.

But why do almost all of the promo images look like something out of Las Vegas Hooker magazine?

Because improvements of the base mesh in areas other then the face are only able to be showcased in a rather scantily clad female figure. It's the same reason artists draw the human figure nude.
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Am I going to sound jaded and cynical if I see this whole Genesis2/V6 as a marketing decision as much as anything else?

Genesis more or less created the "one purchase fits all" concept. That meant that I could buy a set of clothing and have it work equally well with male/female/child. One purchase instead of 3. UV swapping alleviated the need to purchase brand new textures with each new release.

Now we are to the second generation of Genesis and it's starting to look very similar the Gen4. Gen 4 had 3 base shapes. Female, male and child. Genesis 2 so far lists male and female gender split. No mention of a child anywhere. Back again are separate male and female morph packs. Granted, it appears Genesis 2 accepts V5 textures out of the box but that means if you didn't put a load of money into V5 textures, you either have to fork out for them or fork out for an add on product which is a PA product and until it hits FastGrab a few years from now, will probably only get to as low as half price during the PA sale.

edited December 1969

Barubary said:
    ...It'll be interesting to see just how many content creators jump on the gen6-wagon and how many stay with gen5. Imagine a world where Genesis gets half the support of what (little) it does now and Genesis 2 the other half...

I suspect this will be the case actually, per my previous posts. I also pointed out why this isn't necessarily a bad thing in the same posts.
  • diogenese19348diogenese19348 Posts: 926
    edited December 1969

My biggest gripe out Genesis females was the reduced range of facial expressions compared to V4. This seems to be addressing that issue. Of course my main reason for using Genesis to start with was the ability to morph one character into another easily (Hulk type transformations) and I do that a lot in comics, and I am not sure where Genesis 2 compares on that issue. If there are entirely separate meshes for male and female it probably doesn't. Most of the time I end up using Genesis for my male figures and monsters, and V4 for my female ones. Still on the fence about where to put my money on this one.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

has anyone tried a Genesis 1 pose on the Genesis 2 Female? I'm curious to see how poses translate - I know the Gen4 poses worked ok on Genesis 1, with some tweaking of feet and hands/fingers; just wondering if ti's the same with Genesis 2.

• EwokzombieEwokzombie Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

twalling said:

It was a few years, as I recall, maybe 3 or even 4. V4 on the other hand, was around for a good 5 years or so. I don't understand the rush on V6 and the amazing Genesis 2 backwards leap, other than a desire to sell more "pro packs."

I thought it was more than 3 years for them. Funny how Victoria 4 is still a fave to make things for. Thats whats annoying me about the Victoria 6 and Genesis 2. Its only been maybe 2 years since Victoria 5 (April 2012 if the info I found is right) so whats the rush? Did they get it right finally where these figures are no longer flawed with problems or things they “forgot” about? Whats going to be the shelf life of the Gen 6's before Genesis 3 and the Gen 7's come out?

• LocusSolusLocusSolus Posts: 59
    edited June 2013

scatha said:

Seriously, the PRO bundle comes without the head and body morphs for the genesis 2 platform?
    [...]

We can admit the basic morphs may be sold separately aside the single base-priced character.
    We can also accept any kind of bundles with exotic hair and clothes, that could be called "Extravaganza" or "Fashionfuria" bundles as well,
    but not including body and head morphs into a so-called PRO bundle keeps completely out of mind.

I'm scratching my chin to blood by hesitation facing this situation.

Post edited by LocusSolus on
  • XenaXena Posts: 650
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    has anyone tried a Genesis 1 pose on the Genesis 2 Female? I'm curious to see how poses translate - I know the Gen4 poses worked ok on Genesis 1, with some tweaking of feet and hands/fingers; just wondering if ti's the same with Genesis 2.

Hands need tweaking because Genesis 2 has straight fingers.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

Xena said:
    jakiblue said:

Hands need tweaking because Genesis 2 has straight fingers.

well, that's ok. Not worried about that. But generally, a Genesis 1 pose will work pretty much exactly right?