[Released] Altern8 - Skin Shader System for Genesis 8 [Commercial]

Comments

• ChadCryptoChadCrypto Posts: 596
    edited April 2018

Here is one , I was trying different settings. I think this was the V8 no maps one.  I also like Sangriart's characters. 

Clark_Emil_Altern8Test100.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 135K
    Post edited by ChadCrypto on
  • ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291

Forgive me if this has been answered already, but I'm running in to a bit of a head-scratcher. I'm doing one of my rare nude renders (as I want to test the whole thing out on a custom character), and running in to a coloration mismatch problem that's stumping me.

I'm using:

G3F Mallorie (with Mallorie texture applied)
    G3F Female Genitalia (with Mallorie texture applied)

I use the V8 No Maps, Face/Eyes A, Sclera 25, Translucency 15, Skin Shine Low, Lips Shine High, SSS C, Translucency Color A - I get roughly what I'm after.

However, attempting to get this to mimic on the Gens:

V8 gen shader, Trans A, Trans 15, Shine Low, SSS C

And basically (since attaching a photo is not going to work for this topic), I end up with an orange bikini zone that one usually only finds in a Copper-Tone ad.

Thoughts? How do I get my mats to match?

Help. You're my only hope.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Here is one , I was trying different settings. I think this was the V8 no maps one.  I also like Sangriart's characters. 

Lots of poke-through but I really like the skin! Very nice! :)

That's a cool character - I like her more natural proportions. 

Forgive me if this has been answered already, but I'm running in to a bit of a head-scratcher. I'm doing one of my rare nude renders (as I want to test the whole thing out on a custom character), and running in to a coloration mismatch problem that's stumping me.

I'm using:

I use the V8 No Maps, Face/Eyes A, Sclera 25, Translucency 15, Skin Shine Low, Lips Shine High, SSS C, Translucency Color A - I get roughly what I'm after.

And basically (since attaching a photo is not going to work for this topic), I end up with an orange bikini zone that one usually only finds in a Copper-Tone ad.

I'm not sure how much I can help without seeing the images, but what you can try is opening up the surfaces tab and make sure that the settings on the Torso match the settings on the Gens. :)

@divaMakeup oh no, I didn't notice the poke thrue. darn. I have not worked much with that outfit. oops 

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited April 2018

Giving the guys some love- here's Justus for Darius 8. Silver does a great job on skins, as you can see from his out of the box settings here: 

Here he is with Altern8 Monique 8 Preset only (the Darius presets washed him out a bit, which surprised me since he's not that dark. Usually I do medium to dark characters with Darius and the darkest ones with Monique.) I like the definition on the skin: 

Trying something different- this is Charlotte 8 preset with Scelera 25, Skin Shine Medium, Lip Shine High, Translucency F, SSS Tint D, and Translucency Color A. 

My favorite: Same Charlotte 8 settings above, changed to Translucency D and SSS Tint A: 

Justus Defs.png
    2000 x 1600 - 2M
    Justus Alern8 Monique 8 preset.png
    2000 x 1600 - 2M
    Justus Alern8 Charlotte8.png
    2000 x 1600 - 2M
    Justus Alern8 Charlotte8v2.png
    2000 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by Llynara on

@Llynara NIIIICE! These turned out cool. The skin shine might be a bit high (I think so with his default skin as well), maybe up the bump strength or lower the shine setting? Just a personal preference, though, these look really good! I think I like the detailing in the second skin but the color of the last skin. Ahhhh It's so hard to pick my favorite! :)

• Llynara said:

Giving the guys some love- here's Justus for Darius 8. Silver does a great job on skins, as you can see from his out of the box settings here: 

Here he is with Altern8 Monique 8 Preset only (the Darius presets washed him out a bit, which surprised me since he's not that dark. Usually I do medium to dark characters with Darius and the darkest ones with Monique.) I like the definition on the skin: 

Trying something different- this is Charlotte 8 preset with Scelera 25, Skin Shine Medium, Lip Shine High, Translucency F, SSS Tint D, and Translucency Color A. 

My favorite: Same Charlotte 8 settings above, changed to Translucency D and SSS Tint A: 

Oooo, nice sampling there! Inspires me to keep playing, too.

edited April 2018

Ok , I decided to try this again. I removed some of the outfit to show more skin. I used V8 no maps. And a  lower transluceny setting.

Clark_Emil_Altern8Test103.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 173K
    Post edited by ChadCrypto on

Ok , I decided to try this again. I removed some of the outfit to show more skin. I used V8 no maps. And a  lower transluceny setting.

Wow! Gorgeous skin and character! :D Poor girl needs some new clothing, her dress is floating away. hehe

What character shape is that? She's really quite a lovely character!

I'm using:

I'm not sure how much I can help without seeing the images, but what you can try is opening up the surfaces tab and make sure that the settings on the Torso match the settings on the Gens. :)

I'll give it a go, and see if I can't make it work.

If necessary, I'll do a heck of a lot of cropping to provide a useable example image. :)

Thanks @divamakeup    It's Dracarys for G8F at Rendo. It's based off of Emilia Clarke from Game of Thrones. Sangriart has done quite a few look alike characters from the series.

I'm using:

If necessary, I'll do a heck of a lot of cropping to provide a useable example image. :)

Feel free to send me the link(s) to the images via PM and we can see if we can figure out what happened. Also what you could do is apply each setting one by one and see which one caused the issue on the gens.

I'm using:

Feel free to send me the link(s) to the images via PM and we can see if we can figure out what happened. Also what you could do is apply each setting one by one and see which one caused the issue on the gens.

Well, something I can tell you right now is that when I applied translucency 15 to the gen texture, it somehow was set to 25.

Also, I'm going in to the CMYK values on their surfaces for colors, etc, and attempting to set the to the same as the body texture, and they refuse to change (they're unlocked, I've already checked). I suspect that may be a DAZ thing and not an Altern8 thing, though. I'll keep checking.

edited April 2018

I'm using:

Well, something I can tell you right now is that when I applied translucency 15 to the gen texture, it somehow was set to 25.

Also, I'm going in to the CMYK values on their surfaces for colors, etc, and attempting to set the to the same as the body texture, and they refuse to change (they're unlocked, I've already checked). I suspect that may be a DAZ thing and not an Altern8 thing, though. I'll keep checking.

Ah, yeah, that does sound like a Daz thing.

The "Translucency A - 15" gen setting though, I just checked and tried it several times on different surfaces and it only applies a translucency of 15. I'm not sure why you're getting 25. Are you SURE that the "Translucency A - 15" is applying a translucency of 25? Like I said, I tried it on my end and it works fine - giving a setting of Translucency 15. 

Feel free to PM me if you need any help with the product and I'll do what I can to help. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on

Thanks @divamakeup    It's Dracarys for G8F at Rendo. It's based off of Emilia Clarke from Game of Thrones. Sangriart has done quite a few look alike characters from the series.

Looks like I'm going to have to purchase something at the "other store". Ahhh WHY isn't it here? WHY!? lol It's a great character ...so yeah, I might have to cave and get her. Wish listed! :)

I'm using:

The "Translucency A - 15" gen setting though, I just checked and tried it several times on different surfaces and it only applies a translucency of 15. I'm not sure why you're getting 25. Are you SURE that the "Translucency A - 15" is applying a translucency of 25? Like I said, I tried it on my end and it works fine - giving a setting of Translucency 15. 

Feel free to PM me if you need any help with the product and I'll do what I can to help. :)

Almost positive. I could be mistaken, though (and freely admit it!).

In any event, I've managed to find what I think was the problem - can't be sure, but - it wasn't until I went in and managed to change the SSS Reflectance Tint on the G3 default gens that multiple more SSS/material settings (Dual lobe, etc) showed up. So for some reason it didn't register that those needed to be changed.

I still can't get the material colors to change when setting them manually, but again, I think that's a Daz thing.

HOWEVER. I have successfully got the orange to go away. There's still a vaguely notable bikini zone, but it's nowhere near as bad.

I'll do a quick torso render to show you what I came up with, and PM you the link.

---

Different question - would it be safe to re-apply the characters nail textures? right now, those are getting muted - not wiped out, but definitely muted.

I'm using:

Almost positive. I could be mistaken, though (and freely admit it!).

In any event, I've managed to find what I think was the problem - can't be sure, but - it wasn't until I went in and managed to change the SSS Reflectance Tint on the G3 default gens that multiple more SSS/material settings (Dual lobe, etc) showed up. So for some reason it didn't register that those needed to be changed.

I still can't get the material colors to change when setting them manually, but again, I think that's a Daz thing.

HOWEVER. I have successfully got the orange to go away. There's still a vaguely notable bikini zone, but it's nowhere near as bad.

I'll do a quick torso render to show you what I came up with, and PM you the link.

---

Different question - would it be safe to re-apply the characters nail textures? right now, those are getting muted - not wiped out, but definitely muted.

hahah Cool, I'm glad you got the orange figured out. :) If you don't like the nail textures, try copy and pasting the "arms" mats (from the surfaces tab) into the "figure nails" tab. :) And you can also use the characters' nail settings preset if they have one (I know a lot of characters come with separate nail texture presets). :)

Looks like I'm going to have to purchase something at the "other store". Ahhh WHY isn't it here? WHY!? lol It's a great character ...so yeah, I might have to cave and get her. Wish listed! :)

I know, I hope someday Sangriart will be a PA at Daz. It  makes installing things easier. Yet, those characters make it worth the mouse clicks.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Just checking - it's ok to d/l and install via connect into smart content? there's no scripts or plug in or anything like that?

• RhaleRhale Posts: 77
    edited April 2018

Hi Divamakeup, congrats on the release - it's clear a lot of hard work went in to creating and testing this.

Here's a render of Mousso's Mackenzie, with the V8 No Maps applied and the lips using Shine D - Ultra High. The scene lighting is from the included HDR map. I also used a modified version of the shader on the vest :) 

Mackenzie G8 Altern8V8 map.png
    500 x 809 - 540K
    Post edited by Rhale on
  • DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451

Purchased last night, and had 2 images render overnight, first is without Altern8 and the second is with. Great product, need to play around more and add some color to the skin though

B2E26528-B65C-4CC5-9E5A-3CB8970BD54D.png
    800 x 1000 - 926K
    BACE1828-AE6F-4518-BF93-06CC06FCBD3C.png
    800 x 1000 - 1011K
  • DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072

Congrats on the release!  It's a great product, so glad so many are having fun with this.

• stuthursostuthurso Posts: 192

I'm sure there are plenty off you out there just now thinking, "But I use Generation 4/Genesis/Genesis 2.  What about me?".  Well fear not because you too can use Altern8!  I made a quick test with a V4 figure/skin and by useing the Gens Shaders I was able to get the settings to work.  There are a few things to mention though.  First it is ONLY the settings in the Gens Shader folder that will work with characters that are not Genesis 3 or 8.  Second the Gens Shader WILL NOT work on eyes so BEFORE you apply the settings go into the Surfaces tab and select all the surfaces EXCEPT any for the eyes (that includes lashes), you will need to use another converter for the eyes if they are not already Iray but there are many good ones out there that will do the job.  Thirdly YOU MUST make sure the Skin Texture is plugged into the Translucency Color setting in Surfaces, some skins will do this and some won't so it is always best to check.  If you wonder why that is important do a quick test render without the Mats in Translucency Colour and you'll soon see why you need them.  Oh and finally the skin doesn't need to be converted to Iray for this to work even though I used a V4 character with Iray settings for the test, the Altern8 shader will automatically convert what you selected to Iray anyway.  

From there you can then go on and tweak the settings to your hearts content, but again only the options in the Gens Shaders folder will work outside of Genesis 3 or 8.  

Happy Rendering everyone!  

Rose Test.jpg
    1136 x 530 - 356K
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Am I the only one that thinks at least half of the comparison shots end up with the Altera8 example looking grayish/pale and less realistic? True that the other half look better, but like most (all) skin shader packages, it' doesn't seem to be a magic bullet.

I think Lynara's renders demonstrate pretty conclusively that sometimes the original looks more realistic. I should mention that I believe a lot of people's dissatisfaction with "out of the box" renders is their montior / monitor setup since I can do the same render and not get the execessive orange tint that seems to be prevalent. 

• RhaleRhale Posts: 77
    edited April 2018

double post

Post edited by Rhale on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    SimonJM said:
    SimonJM said:

A quick first go (well, actually, 1st, 2nd, 3rd as I took a while to realise that the geograft shaders were shaders and needed the surafce selected!)  Base textures are FW Marieke with the no map Charlotte setting and various tint, etc., settings used.

Cool character, SimonJM! :) The skin might be a tad on the "cool" side. Perhaps try a warmer SSS Tint and/or warmer Translucency Color. :)

Really a nice looking character though - love her tats! 

It was Trans strenght F, Trans colour C, SSS tint B - so to go 'warmer' I'd got to B or A for trans colour and A for tint?

I think it would depend on the skin, the lighting, and the translucency strength. Maybe try Translucency Color B, SSS Tint A? I'm not sure as I don't have that character. It's funny, I want to get my hands on it and do some tweaking to give you an exact "formula" but I think the hubby would kill me if I spent any more money on Daz this month. lol I love tweaking skin though and it's killing me not having that character to see what settings I would use on her. hahah Try different things and different settings and see what works. :) Maybe instead of Charlotte a different preset? Hopefully one of the settings can help!

One thing that helps with geografts is to set up a Material Preset first and that way you get all the tweaking and adjustments down before applying them to the geograft (it's easier than tweaking all the settings on geografts as well as on the character). :)

Are you using one of Cayman Studios' geografts?

No, it was the 'standard' DAZ anatomiocal elements.  Wouldn't applying a Material Present wipe out the materials already loaded to the geografted item? 

I'll continue messing about to see what happens.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    fastbike1 said:

Am I the only one that thinks at least half of the comparison shots end up with the Altera8 example looking grayish/pale and less realistic? True that the other half look better, but like most (all) skin shader packages, it' doesn't seem to be a magic bullet.

I think Lynara's renders demonstrate pretty conclusively that sometimes the original looks more realistic. I should mention that I believe a lot of people's dissatisfaction with "out of the box" renders is their montior / monitor setup since I can do the same render and not get the execessive orange tint that seems to be prevalent. 

I definitely think the Altern8 skins look more like snapshots than photoshopped magazine/portrait photos.  That's itself neutral; I think everybody decides for themselves what kind of realism they're going for. As for myself, I'd normally be snapping this up, but I'm a project-based budget restriction right now and my post-work filters would destroy all the lovely detail so it has to go on wishlist. Really regret not being able to contribute to new-release sales burst though.

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959

I gonna say the jury is still out for me.. I noticed in the promos that the pictures of Darius and Monique looked flat and oily.  But I thought that was becacuse of the settings that were chosen. I guess skin shading for black characters is more difficult.  Many times the black characters lack realistic details and often look like a chocolate bar.  The knees, soles of the feet, hands, lips on and on, just don't look realistic to me.   I was hopping that this product would add the realistic detail to black skin as it appears to do in the promos to white skin.  I used Tanya by Vyusur.

Here is the original Tanya

Here is my version with tweeking

Here is the version using Monique no maps

Here is Darius no maps

Here is V8 no maps

Here is Tanya skin just using translucnecy C  

This is an example where the original looks better. The only ones that come close are the Darius no map although the finger and toe nails don't look good to me and the version with just the translucency changed.  What needs to be done to get rid of the greyish, green/blue dark color?

Tanya 2.png
    857 x 857 - 698K
    Tanya 1.png
    857 x 857 - 686K
    Tanya 3.png
    857 x 857 - 699K
    Tanya 4 darius.png
    857 x 857 - 639K
    Tanya 4 v8.png
    857 x 857 - 727K
    Tanya 5 TRANS C.png
    857 x 857 - 652K
    SimonJM said:
    SimonJM said:
    SimonJM said:

A quick first go (well, actually, 1st, 2nd, 3rd as I took a while to realise that the geograft shaders were shaders and needed the surafce selected!)  Base textures are FW Marieke with the no map Charlotte setting and various tint, etc., settings used.

Cool character, SimonJM! :) The skin might be a tad on the "cool" side. Perhaps try a warmer SSS Tint and/or warmer Translucency Color. :)

Really a nice looking character though - love her tats! 

It was Trans strenght F, Trans colour C, SSS tint B - so to go 'warmer' I'd got to B or A for trans colour and A for tint?

I think it would depend on the skin, the lighting, and the translucency strength. Maybe try Translucency Color B, SSS Tint A? I'm not sure as I don't have that character. It's funny, I want to get my hands on it and do some tweaking to give you an exact "formula" but I think the hubby would kill me if I spent any more money on Daz this month. lol I love tweaking skin though and it's killing me not having that character to see what settings I would use on her. hahah Try different things and different settings and see what works. :) Maybe instead of Charlotte a different preset? Hopefully one of the settings can help!

One thing that helps with geografts is to set up a Material Preset first and that way you get all the tweaking and adjustments down before applying them to the geograft (it's easier than tweaking all the settings on geografts as well as on the character). :)

Are you using one of Cayman Studios' geografts?

No, it was the 'standard' DAZ anatomiocal elements.  Wouldn't applying a Material Present wipe out the materials already loaded to the geografted item? 

I'll continue messing about to see what happens.

AH, yes, I thought you were talking about a Cayman Studios' product. With those geografts with the Legacy UVs products of his the best way is to set up a Material Preset.