[Released] Altern8 - Skin Shader System for Genesis 8 [Commercial]

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited April 2018

OK, here is my first go.  Used the Edward No Maps, Dome off, HDR 2 turned 60 degrees... quite pleased with this.

The pose is mine, the head and body shapes are mine, crafted in ZBrush and the shorts are mine, crafted in ZBrush and auto rigged in DS, buckle is set up with a rigid follow node so it stays round regardless of the pose. 

Altern8 Edward No Maps.jpg
    832 x 902 - 350K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    Llynara said:

Picked my copy up already and downloading now. Congrats, my friend, on another awesome release! heart

You what? Girl - you tested Altern8, why did you go and buy a copy? heheh I REALLY appreciate the support though - you're awesome, my friend! heartlaugh

edited April 2018

Diva, how is your system lowering render times? Can you talk a little about that?

I'm not sure why but many of the "Official 8" characters really are hard on the system and my settings often reduce render times. I'm sure part of it is the translucency that is often pretty high on the "8" figures, but I've also noticed that I can sometimes get reduced render times on other characters that aren't really high on translucency. 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    Llynara said:

Picked my copy up already and downloading now. Congrats, my friend, on another awesome release! heart

You what? Girl - you tested Altern8, why did you go and buy a copy? heheh I REALLY appreciate the support though - you're awesome, my friend! heartlaugh

I had to pick it up because I wuv you! heart And I love the product too! wink

ArielRGH said:

Absolutely wonderful, Diva! Congratulations!

I said I wanted it and I just made good on my word. I just purchased and downloaded it, I'll start playing with it now.

I wanted to know, Diva, what materials did you use for the eyes in the promos? Especially the first one. Thanks in advance!

Thank you! :D The mats in the first promo are Charlotte 8's mats. The eyes are enhanced with the included sclera map and the maps to help enhance the tear duct/eye socket and of course the Altern8 settings. :)

Thank you for the purchase and for showing us your renders! It's much appreciated! yes

I'm buying this, it will save me time, but i'm broke now. I just popped in to say your product has some of the best ad copy that 'sells' your product and what it does in the DAZ Store.

Thank you! I hope you find Altern8 helpful! 

Heres my first comparison shots. The first render is the original skin, the second uses Diva's shaders.

I like how the pinkness has been removed from the original. The redness in the nose is whats throwing me off a little bit. It almost looks like she might be coming down with a cold. If I can control that, id like to know how.

HUGE time savings with Diva's shaders. The original took 16 minutes and 24 seconds to render (old card and shiny hair ). The render with Diva's shaders took just under 7 minutes!

Forgot to add, this is the Victoria 8 preset.

Hi, AUN, thank you for posting your renders! :D I addressed this in the commons thread, but maybe try adjusting the Translucency Strength and/or the SSS Tint and/or Translucency color. Pale skin can be tricky but I think with some adjustments it would help reduce the redness. :)

Llynara said:

Here are my notes for using Altern8 on Nenana Alien, if you're looking at using Alten8 on a really different skin. It was fun doing an alien pinup! 

• Altern8: Darius 8 A No Maps, Skin Shine High, Lip Shine High
    • Surfaces Tab: Bump Map- lower skin and lips from 7 down to 1
    • Render settings: Altern8 Preset 1 (I think!), Low Bloom (from DA Real World Lighting presets), lower the Exposure to 12

Thank you for the notes and tips! It's much appreciated. And I think posting different "forumlas" for different looks is a great idea! :) I'll have to see what I can come up with! laugh

ArielRGH said:

Sorry guys! I had to grab a few hours of sleep - I'm back now! hehe Coffee in hand and ready to read through the thread and answer any questions. :)

There's our hero! There's our hero! Three hurrahs for Divamakeup! Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah! Woohoo! (everybody claps!)

ArielRGH said:

Sorry guys! I had to grab a few hours of sleep - I'm back now! hehe Coffee in hand and ready to read through the thread and answer any questions. :)

There's our hero! There's our hero! Three hurrahs for Divamakeup! Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah! Woohoo! (everybody claps!)

*joins in clapping* Hip hip, hooray!

Dawwww Thank you guys! heheh You're making my face hurt from smiling so much! heheh You guys are so sweet - thank you for the lovely comments, feedback, and renders! heart

Llynara said:
    Llynara said:

I had to pick it up because I wuv you! heart And I love the product too! wink

hahah You're amazing, my friend! Thank you! I really appreciate all your hard work and help! And then buying the product too! Ahhhh You're ...yeah, amazing is the word. surprise

edited April 2018
    RAMWolff said:

OK, here is my first go.  Used the Edward No Maps, Dome off, HDR 2 turned 60 degrees... quite pleased with this.

The pose is mine, the head and body shapes are mine, crafted in ZBrush and the shorts are mine, crafted in ZBrush and auto rigged in DS, buckle is set up with a rigid follow node so it stays round regardless of the pose. 

Oh that looks good! Thank you for sharing the render with us! :) That's a good looking character too - beefy sexy guy! heheh Reminds me a bit of one of Butch's characters (which I love!). 

Thanks hon for the great product.  Yea, the shapes are part of my Bruno series I keep redeveloping and evolving.  Thanks for the kind words! 

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited April 2018

A quick first go (well, actually, 1st, 2nd, 3rd as I took a while to realise that the geograft shaders were shaders and needed the surafce selected!)  Base textures are FW Marieke with the no map Charlotte setting and various tint, etc., settings used.

Altern8_01.jpg
    1700 x 2200 - 874K
  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    edited April 2018

Edited, because I hadn't checked facts first blush

Post edited by maikdecker on
  • MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,093
    RAMWolff said:

Hi Diva,

I got mine but curious.... the product download was quite large, so I'm assuming your including maps?  There is no way that just surface tweaks and shader tweaks are going to add up like that!  LMAO! 

How large is the file? O_o

RAMWolff said:

Thanks hon for the great product.  Yea, the shapes are part of my Bruno series I keep redeveloping and evolving.  Thanks for the kind words! 

"Bruno" series ...that sound promising! If it gets to the store count me in as a buyer! smiley

SimonJM said:

A quick first go (well, actually, 1st, 2nd, 3rd as I took a while to realise that the geograft shaders were shaders and needed the surafce selected!)  Base textures are FW Marieke with the no map Charlotte setting and various tint, etc., settings used.

Cool character, SimonJM! :) The skin might be a tad on the "cool" side. Perhaps try a warmer SSS Tint and/or warmer Translucency Color. :)

Really a nice looking character though - love her tats! 

RAMWolff said:

Hi Diva,

I got mine but curious.... the product download was quite large, so I'm assuming your including maps?  There is no way that just surface tweaks and shader tweaks are going to add up like that!  LMAO! 

The product does have a few maps as well as HDRs - so that's going to increase the file's size. :)

OKAY: My favorite shader system now. smiley

I'm so glad you like it! :D

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    SimonJM said:

Cool character, SimonJM! :) The skin might be a tad on the "cool" side. Perhaps try a warmer SSS Tint and/or warmer Translucency Color. :)

It was Trans strenght F, Trans colour C, SSS tint B - so to go 'warmer' I'd got to B or A for trans colour and A for tint?

SimonJM said:
    SimonJM said:

It was Trans strenght F, Trans colour C, SSS tint B - so to go 'warmer' I'd got to B or A for trans colour and A for tint?

I think it would depend on the skin, the lighting, and the translucency strength. Maybe try Translucency Color B, SSS Tint A? I'm not sure as I don't have that character. It's funny, I want to get my hands on it and do some tweaking to give you an exact "formula" but I think the hubby would kill me if I spent any more money on Daz this month. lol I love tweaking skin though and it's killing me not having that character to see what settings I would use on her. hahah Try different things and different settings and see what works. :) Maybe instead of Charlotte a different preset? Hopefully one of the settings can help!

One thing that helps with geografts is to set up a Material Preset first and that way you get all the tweaking and adjustments down before applying them to the geograft (it's easier than tweaking all the settings on geografts as well as on the character). :)

Are you using one of Cayman Studios' geografts?

• ChadCryptoChadCrypto Posts: 596
    edited April 2018

I picked up Altern8 and WetFX.

She made a mess and spilled her milk.  

Awesome work Diva. I used Karyssa 8 maps on Michiko. And used the Diffused B lip overlay setting.

iziestaltern8_103.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 152K
    Post edited by ChadCrypto on
    edited April 2018

I picked up Altern8 and WetFX.

She made a mess and spilled her milk.  

Awesome work Diva. I used Karyssa 8 maps on Michiko. And used the Diffused B lip overlay setting.

hahah That's cool! She makes a cute goth girl! :) 

Adorable render - thank you for sharing it with us! laugh

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited April 2018

Don't be afraid to play with all the settings in Iray preview mode (as well as different lighting and tonemapping.) It's fun! Here's Elliandra for G3 and G8 by Mousso with a couple of different skin setups, same lights (pale pink and yellow), render settings and tone mapping, no postwork: 

Elliandra default skin, Skin Shine High, Lips Shine High, Translucency A, SSS Tint D and Translucency Color D

Elliandra with Aiko 8 No Maps A preset,  Skin Shine High, Lip Shine Ultra High, Translucency B

Elliandra with Alexandra 8 No Maps only

Elliandra Def .png
    2000 x 1600 - 3M
    Elliandra Altn8 Aiko presets.png
    2000 x 1600 - 3M
    Elliandra Alten8 Alex8.png
    2000 x 1600 - 3M
    Post edited by Llynara on

Awesome images @Llynara

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited April 2018

Heres my first comparison shots. The first render is the original skin, the second uses Diva's shaders.

I like how the pinkness has been removed from the original. The redness in the nose is whats throwing me off a little bit. It almost looks like she might be coming down with a cold. If I can control that, id like to know how.

HUGE time savings with Diva's shaders. The original took 16 minutes and 24 seconds to render (old card and shiny hair ). The render with Diva's shaders took just under 7 minutes!

Forgot to add, this is the Victoria 8 preset.

My eyes say that the 'after render'  has now a brownish-blue tinge rather than the pale whitish-peach-pink that you'd expect. With the right shade whitish--peach-pink the typical redder nose isn't a problem but it is with that dominant shade. At any rate, I wouldn't think these presets are ideal for all character texture sets in all lighting conditions. Even so, the 2nd isn't that bad but the 1st looks more realistically detailed in this case. It seems to work quite well with a lot of them though that i've seen posted.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited April 2018

@Llynara WOW... etherial! 

Post edited by RAMWolff on

Thank you! It's hard to go wrong when you start with a Mousso character! 

edited April 2018
    Llynara said:

Right!? She makes incredible characters! I think my favourite so far of her's is Gail, but I love all of her characters that I have. :) 

The renders are wonderful - I love them! And thank you for posting the settings that you used. That's helpful to see, I think. Gorgeous work, Llynara! 

Post edited by 3Diva on
    Llynara said:

Right!? She makes incredible characters! I think my favourite so far of her's is Gail, but I love all of her characters that I have. :) 

The renders are wonderful - I love them! And thank you for posting the settings that you used. That's helpful to see, I think. Gorgeous work, Llynara! 

Gail is beautiful. One I need to get someday. Mousso makes such awesome characters. I prefer them really over the big Daz Main Characters.