[Released] Altern8 - Skin Shader System for Genesis 8 [Commercial]

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited April 2018

It doesn't: I've obviously assumed incorrectly since normally Materials are under the figure. Well, materials for figures, that is. :)

Oh ok. heheh Sorry for the confusion. The Daz people set up the Read Me and all that - So I guess they didn't think the settings needed to be with the G8F materials folders. :)

I hope that it doesn't cause serious confusion. :) If so maybe I should ask support to add the files there too?

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

Probably a good idea, at least you know now. :)

edited April 2018

Probably a good idea, at least you know now. :)

Since they aren't actual materials - they're more just shaders and skin settings presets, I'm not sure if they would want to add it a "materials" folder. But we'll see if other people get confused about it as well. If enough people are confused as to where to find the presets I'll bug the Daz people about it and see if they can get the settings added to the other place as well. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

Yeah, seems fine the way it is.

Yeah, seems fine the way it is.

Anegenessis 2 isn't under Materials, and it's under Shader Presets, so I think it's probably ok. :)

I hope you like it! I look forward to seeing what you do with it and hope you post some renders!

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

as promised @divamakeup, here are the stupid questions laugh

haven't picked it up yet (still working on He Who Gets Grumpy When Money is Spent) so these questions may possibly be answered by looking at the installed product...

ok so it states it can be used on Genesis 3 also. Is that by using the included "presets" or are you individually selecting G3's skin etc and applying individual shaders? 

Are the G8 presets using the G8 Figure's materials etc, so there's no point in applying say, Aiko 8's preset on Alexandra 8? (for example if you happen to really like Aiko 8's preset settings, but don't want to use Aiko's skin on Alexandra....if that even makes sense) 

Did you test the settings/presets under different light conditions, or do you think they work best with the included render settings/lights of the product? 

Sorry for the inane questions, but this will be my only purchase for April so I want to make sure I'm gonna love it - although seeing what you've managed to achieve with Olympia 8, who I have and never use cos I absolutely loathe her skin, I'm fairly certain I will love it. LOL

edited April 2018
    jakiblue said:

ok so it states it can be used on Genesis 3 also. Is that by using the included "presets" or are you individually selecting G3's skin etc and applying individual shaders? 

No need to select the skin for G3 or G8 characters. Just make sure the character is selected in the scene tab and click on one of the presets. :)

jakiblue said:

Are the G8 presets using the G8 Figure's materials etc, so there's no point in applying say, Aiko 8's preset on Alexandra 8? (for example if you happen to really like Aiko 8's preset settings, but don't want to use Aiko's skin on Alexandra....if that even makes sense) 

You can use any of the presets on any G3 or G8 character. The blue icons load the texture maps, the "No Maps" icons (green icons) don't load the texture maps and can be used on any character. So yeah, if you like Aiko 8's preset better than Alexandra 8's preset, you can use Aiko's "No Maps" preset on Alexandra. 

jakiblue said:

Did you test the settings/presets under different light conditions, or do you think they work best with the included render settings/lights of the product? 

They've been tested under various lighting and render settings, but they (imo), look best with the included render settings. However there are a TON of adjustment settings included so that the skin be adjusted and look good with pretty much any other lighting and render settings. :)

jakiblue said:

Sorry for the inane questions, but this will be my only purchase for April so I want to make sure I'm gonna love it - although seeing what you've managed to achieve with Olympia 8, who I have and never use cos I absolutely loathe her skin, I'm fairly certain I will love it. LOL

hahah I don't mind questions at all, so feel free to ask away if you have any more. 

Hopefully "He Who Gets Grumpy" will be ok with you getting it, but don't stress your relationship or anything! Definitely wait on getting it if it will cause any issues. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    Ruphuss said:

what do you meen with geograph diva ? uv maps ?

or geograft ?

The product that was asked about was one of Cayman Studios' "Legacy UVs" products - which uses geographs to "do their thing". I was only explaining that the Altern8 settings can be used with his products but that the easiest way is to save a Material Preset with the Altern8 settings applied to the textures and then one can easily apply that to the Cayman Studios geographs like you normally would apply textures.

"UV map and geograft kit"

not geograph

nice product you have brought here though

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

thank you! 

and yeah, but for SOME reason we have to pay the bills and get groceries first *grumps* I mean seriously, who in their right mind thinks power and food are more important than daz stuff???? Sheesh. 

cheeky 

jakiblue said:

No need to select the skin for G3 or G8 characters. Just make sure the character is selected in the scene tab and click on one of the presets. :)

jakiblue said:

You can use any of the presets on any G3 or G8 character. The blue icons load the texture maps, the "No Maps" icons (green icons) don't load the texture maps and can be used on any character. So yeah, if you like Aiko 8's preset better than Alexandra 8's preset, you can use Aiko's "No Maps" preset on Alexandra. 

jakiblue said:

They've been tested under various lighting and render settings, but they (imo), look best with the included render settings. However there are a TON of adjustment settings included so that the skin be adjusted and look good with pretty much any other lighting and render settings. :)

jakiblue said:

hahah I don't mind questions at all, so feel free to ask away if you have any more. 

Hopefully "He Who Gets Grumpy" will be ok with you getting it, but don't stress your relationship or anything! Definitely wait on getting it if it will cause any issues. :)

• ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 530

I can't wait for this. I am broke right now but will get this the next paycheck next week. Thanks for all your hard work!

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Picked my copy up already and downloading now. Congrats, my friend, on another awesome release! heart

• Hmmm...

I want to see more pictures. I want to see how it looks on dark skinned or tanned characters. Interested, for sure.

• Diva, how is your system lowering render times? Can you talk a little about that?

• Aww, forget it. Im just going to get it and test for myself. Ill write something up after im done playing with it. laugh

• ArielRGHArielRGH Posts: 105

Absolutely wonderful, Diva! Congratulations!

I said I wanted it and I just made good on my word. I just purchased and downloaded it, I'll start playing with it now.

I wanted to know, Diva, what materials did you use for the eyes in the promos? Especially the first one. Thanks in advance!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

I'm buying this, it will save me time, but i'm broke now. I just popped in to say your product has some of the best ad copy that 'sells' your product and what it does in the DAZ Store.

• AnotherUserNameAnotherUserName Posts: 2,726
    edited April 2018

Heres my first comparison shots. The first render is the original skin, the second uses Diva's shaders.

I like how the pinkness has been removed from the original. The redness in the nose is whats throwing me off a little bit. It almost looks like she might be coming down with a cold. If I can control that, id like to know how.

HUGE time savings with Diva's shaders. The original took 16 minutes and 24 seconds to render (old card and shiny hair ). The render with Diva's shaders took just under 7 minutes!

Forgot to add, this is the Victoria 8 preset.

Base 16min.png
    632 x 819 - 585K
    Base 642min.png
    632 x 819 - 565K
    Post edited by AnotherUserName on

I like how the pinkness has been removed from the original. The redness in the nose is whats throwing me off a little bit. It almost looks like she might be coming down with a cold. If I can control that, id like to know how.

Try a different Translucency color preset :)

edited April 2018

Here are my notes for using Altern8 on Nenana Alien, if you're looking at using Alten8 on a really different skin. It was fun doing an alien pinup! 

• Altern8: Darius 8 A No Maps, Skin Shine High, Lip Shine High
    • Surfaces Tab: Bump Map- lower skin and lips from 7 down to 1
    • Render settings: Altern8 Preset 1 (I think!), Low Bloom (from DA Real World Lighting presets), lower the Exposure to 12
    Post edited by Llynara on
  • stuthursostuthurso Posts: 192

For anyone wondering how the shader reacts to different lighting from the HDRI that comes with it here is Charlotte 8 lit using 'LI Incandescent - Portrait Lighting for Iray' (https://www.daz3d.com/li-incandescent--portrait-lighting-for-iray) using the Charlotte 8 settings and then trying the different extra settings for translucency, shine and SSS until I got what I liked (honestly don't be afraid of trying the different settings here, even the render settings, it's so easy and actually quite fun to see what effects you can get).  The only postwork on the image was a little change in the brightness and contrast and to resize the image.  This is a quite brilliant and supremely useful product that gets way beyond full marks from me and is basically an essential purchase for anyone using Genesis 8 or 3 models.  Take a well deserved bow Diva, you are more than worthy of all the plaudits that will come your way here.  

Charlotte 23 Post 1.png
    769 x 1000 - 1M
  • Came in a bit late here and trying to work out if this is what I have been looking for. Many of the characters I have look great on their own, but put 2 from different artists together and they almost always look awful; some have skin that looks grey, others pink, others orange, br=ecause content artists all seem to use different settings, and tweaking these so characters work together never works well. I assume that this keeps the skin material and also the bump, displacement etc, but replaces all the other settings so the general tone is uuniform between characters. Is this correct?

stuthurso said:

For anyone wondering how the shader reacts to different lighting from the HDRI that comes with it here is Charlotte 8 lit using 'LI Incandescent - Portrait Lighting for Iray' (https://www.daz3d.com/li-incandescent--portrait-lighting-for-iray) using the Charlotte 8 settings and then trying the different extra settings for translucency, shine and SSS until I got what I liked (honestly don't be afraid of trying the different settings here, even the render settings, it's so easy and actually quite fun to see what effects you can get).  The only postwork on the image was a little change in the brightness and contrast and to resize the image.  This is a quite brilliant and supremely useful product that gets way beyond full marks from me and is basically an essential purchase for anyone using Genesis 8 or 3 models.  Take a well deserved bow Diva, you are more than worthy of all the plaudits that will come your way here.  

She looks great! I love sweeping through the different presets while in Iray preview mode. You can get very customized very fast that way.

• missuskissesmissuskisses Posts: 918
    edited April 2018

Just posting some test results here in addition to the Commons thread...

For my character, I found that I liked just using the dual lobe spec + glossy settings for M8.

Thanks for the awesome product, Divamakeup!

Altern8 Test 01.jpg
    1333 x 1000 - 823K
    Altern8 Test 02.jpg
    1333 x 1000 - 873K
    Altern8 Test 03.jpg
    1333 x 1000 - 562K
    Post edited by missuskisses on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,790

OKAY: My favorite shader system now. smiley

Roxy shader test.jpg
    1038 x 1001 - 264K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Hi Diva,

I got mine but curious.... the product download was quite large, so I'm assuming your including maps?  There is no way that just surface tweaks and shader tweaks are going to add up like that!  LMAO! 

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

OK, found out the Textures folder.  I see.  You export in .tif format. and there are two HDR files so that makes sense now.  NEVER MIND!  cheeky

Sorry guys! I had to grab a few hours of sleep - I'm back now! hehe Coffee in hand and ready to read through the thread and answer any questions. :)

Sorry guys! I had to grab a few hours of sleep - I'm back now! hehe Coffee in hand and ready to read through the thread and answer any questions. :)

There's our hero! There's our hero! Three hurrahs for Divamakeup! Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah! Woohoo! (everybody claps!)

• ArielRGH said:

There's our hero! There's our hero! Three hurrahs for Divamakeup! Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah! Woohoo! (everybody claps!)

*joins in clapping* Hip hip, hooray!

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I haven't bought the product yet and probably won't until I've got time to mess about with it at the end of the week, but I'm curious to know if anyone has tried it in conjunction with a Skin Builder 3 skin or with a FaceGen skin (just a plain one, without the added FaceGen textures).