More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• Sammagi said:

Hello everyone, I like to share some samples of the first issue comic I've created, Journey to Aaru. while its at its end stages of editing, I like to share some samples of how three forms of techiniques (sketching, digital, and 3D modelling) are rounded up into one.

My special thanks to mmitchell_houston ​, Sickleyield, Dzfire, Stonemason, Ron's, Nightshift3D, and many others for tutorial, assets, and tools they made.

Thank you SO MUCH for the shout-out! I really appreciate it. And I am very impressed with what I'm seeing here (I particularly like the new take on the logo!). When it is available for sale, PLEASE tell me how to pick up an autographed copy! Also, just a note, I'm very happy with the colors you've chosen. Although not radically different from earlier pages, the tweaks you have made seem to have really added a new dimension of professionalism to the work, and ditto for the lettering. If it's not too late, may I make a suggestion about the last page? In the panel with the yellow window (and I love the stark contrast that gives the scene – deftly done, I must say), I would suggest moving the tail on the word balloon so it points more towards his mouth than his head. An extremely minor point, of course, but I thought I'd mention it.

Can't wait to see the completed book!

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

Never turn your back on a Ninja.  Snake-Eyes from G.I. Joe.

G.I. Joe: Snake-Eyes #2

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    tkdrobert said:

Sweet! Dude I love the background that gives a contrast with the green. This looks straight out of the splash page or even a cover!

• NoswenNoswen Posts: 358

Pretty good renders in here, especially liking Warrior of the Wastes and the Chapter One cover, that one's superb! smiley

Ready for some more Joe?  Scarlett and Snake-Eyes.  Yo Joe!

Scarlett and Snake-Eyes

The Baroness.  Experimented with some new techniques.  Not sure I like this one.  Honest critique welcome and requested.

Cobra: The Baroness

A little quite in here.  Here is another Snake eyes but different style.

G.I. Joe: Snale-Eyes 3

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    Sammagi said:

Hello everyone, I like to share some samples of the first issue comic I've created, Journey to Aaru. while its at its end stages of editing, I like to share some samples of how three forms of techiniques (sketching, digital, and 3D modelling) are rounded up into one.

My special thanks to mmitchell_houston ​, Sickleyield, Dzfire, Stonemason, Ron's, Nightshift3D, and many others for tutorial, assets, and tools they made.

Thank you SO MUCH for the shout-out! I really appreciate it. And I am very impressed with what I'm seeing here (I particularly like the new take on the logo!). When it is available for sale, PLEASE tell me how to pick up an autographed copy! Also, just a note, I'm very happy with the colors you've chosen. Although not radically different from earlier pages, the tweaks you have made seem to have really added a new dimension of professionalism to the work, and ditto for the lettering. If it's not too late, may I make a suggestion about the last page? In the panel with the yellow window (and I love the stark contrast that gives the scene – deftly done, I must say), I would suggest moving the tail on the word balloon so it points more towards his mouth than his head. An extremely minor point, of course, but I thought I'd mention it.

Sammagi said:

Thank you! Hopefully this week When I get comformation on createspace, and someone to help with a website. As for the colors, I felt its best to have some balance of simplicty of colors and but enough to show details of characters and backgrounds. This decision is to have a union of drawn and 3D models much like Borderlands, and not too uncanny like titan A.E. (not in a bad way, I think the movie is good).

Working on Chapter 2 art now.

edited April 2018

I think I finally did a decent Batman render.  What do you all think? 

The Dark Knight

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • StarlawStarlaw Posts: 71
    edited April 2018

Also in the works, a somewhat educational story around sea and land mammals. Starting with the hammerhead shark first. 

Post edited by Chohole on
    tkdrobert said:

Gives me a modernized version of the classic batman feel with the style of color and shading you are using. I'm not sure why but i also get a flash back to a Dick Tracy book i had years ago.

Starlaw said:
    tkdrobert said:

Gives me a modernized version of the classic batman feel with the style of color and shading you are using. I'm not sure why but i also get a flash back to a Dick Tracy book i had years ago.

I was going for a Noir style, but with color.

• tkdrobert said:

The Dark Knight

I really like the colors, and the ground shadow is amazing in that it hides/reveals exactly the right amount. However, if I'm being totally frank, I think we need just a little more light on the head and shoulders to make the Bat have just a little more definition. Just a little thicker line. The ground is really good, too. Lots of emotion in this simple but classic scene.

• Starlaw said:

Also in the works, a somewhat educational story around sea and land mammals. Starting with the hammerhead shark first. 

Really nice sketch effect. I could see this working in a book.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited April 2018

I spent a little more time with one of my early Conan renders. This was more about practicing techniques like playing with rough inks on the rock (which is a Manga Studio prop) and differetn brush techniques for the furry jockey shorts. The ground and background were also experimental. All in all, not bad for something I'm mostly playing around with.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited April 2018

I spent a little more time with one of my early Conan renders. This was more about practicing techniques like playing with rough inks on the rock (which is a Manga Studio prop) and differetn brush techniques for the furry jockey shorts. The ground and background were also experimental. All in all, not bad for something I'm mostly playing around with.

Hmmm. The more I look at it, some of the inking choices are a bit suspect. Oh well... all in fun.

Enter the Warrior 2 (04-14-2018).jpg
    1250 x 938 - 737K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
    edited April 2018

Is this better?

The Dark Knights II

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,431
    Starlaw said:

I like the effect, but you might want to adjust the pose a bit. Even knowing what it is, I keep seeing the head as having a very long nose, rather than two eyes way out to the sides.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited April 2018

Hmmm. The more I look at it, some of the inking choices are a bit suspect. Oh well... all in fun.

Interesting confluence of textures and treatment - looks like he is entering another dimension :)

thanks for looking at the Ball site :) 

If anyone's interested in the crossover between digital and traditional artists, here's an interview I did about my work. The digital stuff NPR starts at 2.28

https://vimeo.com/261657828

sorry not sure how to get vimeo to show

Post edited by Headwax on
  • tkdrobert said:

Is this better?

The Dark Knights II

Yes, a little bit. I think I keep expecting it to be more comic book like and letting us see at least one of the ears/horns on the cowl. But I really like it in general. 

• head wax said:

Interesting confluence of textures and treatment - looks like he is entering another dimension :)

thanks for looking at the Ball site :) 

If anyone's interested in the crossover between digital and traditional artists, here's an interview I did about my work. The digital stuff NPR starts at 2.28

I'll watch the video at home. Sounds interesting.

Heh. The "other dimension" is a nice take on that messy offering. My texture on the rock is HUGE (I did cut it down when I posted it to my blog. Even a mediocre drawing can be a learning experience, as I did learn more about getting some pen effects that I had been struggling with.

tkdrobert said:

Is this better?

The Dark Knights II

Yes, a little bit. I think I keep expecting it to be more comic book like and letting us see at least one of the ears/horns on the cowl. But I really like it in general. 

I figured since it's in the shadow...  I could make it much brighter, but then it doesn't have the impact I am going for IMO.

• tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Is this better?

The Dark Knights II

I figured since it's in the shadow...  I could make it much brighter, but then it doesn't have the impact I am going for IMO.

Have you tried putting in a point light near the cowl to give it a little pop? If it were right over the top, floating very close to the cowl with low intensity, it might achieve keylighting the shape of his cowl while preserving the darkness of the scene. Just a thought...

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Is this better?

The Dark Knights II

Have you tried putting in a point light near the cowl to give it a little pop? If it were right over the top, floating very close to the cowl with low intensity, it might achieve keylighting the shape of his cowl while preserving the darkness of the scene. Just a thought...

No, I didn't think of that.  I haven't mastered all of the lighting techniques in DAZ.  It's probably my biggest weakness.  This was rendered in IRAY and converted to a more painted/comic look in postwork.  When I tried to do this in 3Delight, the lighting didn't work at all.  The front was fully lit even though the spot light was pointed at his back.  I don't know why.  I tried to use a spot light to do what you sugest (in IRAY), but it either didn't look right to me or it messed up the shadow.

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    Sammagi said:

Looks to be exceptional.... Thanks fior sharing...

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    tkdrobert said:

Nicely done...

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    kenmo said:
    tkdrobert said:

Nicely done...

Agreed, it's one of the "Joe" picts I like the best. The characters are clean and clear and distinct from the background, very well done.

-- Walt Sterdan

Starlaw said:

I like the effect, but you might want to adjust the pose a bit. Even knowing what it is, I keep seeing the head as having a very long nose, rather than two eyes way out to the sides.

Thank your for the suggestion, i didn't see this till long after starting to animate it. But i definitely agree and now i see the long nosed monster shark-dolphin lol

I started a thread for the animated version if anyone wanted to see the results here: 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/246761/2d-mesh-animations-because-renders-cant-stand-still

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    head wax said:

Interesting interview. Thanks for sharing.

• tkdrobert said:

No, I didn't think of that.  I haven't mastered all of the lighting techniques in DAZ.  It's probably my biggest weakness.  This was rendered in IRAY and converted to a more painted/comic look in postwork.  When I tried to do this in 3Delight, the lighting didn't work at all.  The front was fully lit even though the spot light was pointed at his back.  I don't know why.  I tried to use a spot light to do what you sugest (in IRAY), but it either didn't look right to me or it messed up the shadow.

Give point lights a try. I find they are a neat little trick for adding just the right amount of light in a particular spot. Just make sure you play with the color and the intensity (moreso than the scale, which is a distraction because you think the scale will increase the range of the light, but it really doesn't affect it as much as you'd think).

This discussion has been closed.