ArtsyDragon's Haven

ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 530
edited February 2021 in Art Studio

Going out on a limb and starting a studio thread. I started the journey in the early 2000's with Poser 4. I remember when DAZ Studio was first released. I could not wrap my brain around it. Eventually, I took a decade off and only got back into the swing of creating art in the spring of 2017. I was delighted to remember my DAZ Login and password (wow). I was sad to see RuntimeDNA gone as I had a lot of products from them. Found Renderosity easy enough too. Since coming back, I started with Poser 11 then decided to give DAZ Studio a try in a moment of Poser-Induced frustration, been with D|S ever since. 

I plan to post images here; some will be WIPs while others will be my idea of final (aka, I'm Done Whether the Image Is or NOT). I'd love honest open dialog in order to learn how I can tweak content, lights, cameras, textures, .. all of it. However, I have a fragile self-confidence so please, to keep this less scary, if you could start off with something you like about the image(s), I'd really appreciate it. 

Grab a cozy chair, get a cup of something warm and .. well .. let's have some fun.

Post edited by ArtsyDragon on

Comments

• ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 530
    edited April 2018

This is one of my favs... Raelyn

He's a martial artist trained since a young age. He is in a sci-fi verse I write with a friend of mine. Raelyn is more androgynous than male, is comfortable in a woman's kimono as he is shown below in armor. He has many adventures and can be quite comical at times.

Raelyn_v01_large_high.jpg
    2090 x 1350 - 472K
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

Kind of the same story here.  I got a Daz account in 2012, looked around, and then ran away because it looked very interesting but too complicated.  I think my old computer at the time might not have had enough juice

I like your render.  While it is dark, you can see the character clearly enough.  He looks quite dangerous.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

You're self-confidence may be fragile, but your talent is anything but! What a wonderful image to start off your new thread.

Raelyn is nicely framed with the columns on either side of the image. He looks like he just finished a series of moves to keep his skills as sharp as his blades. One variation that might add a sense of danger would be to move the camera to our left slightly, so the column on the right is out of frame and Raelyn has more set in front of him. It's a small thing, but I think it would make him look more like he's prepared to fight what is coming from that direction. Maybe not. You'd have to try it and see if it does.

But it doesn't matter. This image is really good as is. I do love his face and especially his expression. Bravo, @illysArt!

Thanks @Worlds_Edge. I'm glad you gave it a go. There is nothing more freeing than art.

@L'Dair that is a good idea. I'll see what I can do. I lost my DAZ install and am not sure I can recreate the scene. I will happily try. :)

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

That looks great, and I've seen some of your other art too. You are a great artist, so keep them coming :)

@Carola O, Thank you! Its been hard having my wrist in a cast. Hopefully soon it will come off and I can do more.

• ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471

I have trouble conveying expression/emotion from a distance and am jealous of this render.  Raelyn has an awesome expression - excellent job!

ItsCeo said:

I have trouble conveying expression/emotion from a distance and am jealous of this render.  Raelyn has an awesome expression - excellent job!

I wish I could take all the credit for the expression. All I did was leave the face alone and move his eyes. I thought it scary that he had absolutely nothing on his face yet had that pose and focus on his intended target.

Here's a test render of my favorite boy .. well, one of my favs. I do have others.

TEST_Raelyn_v02b.jpg
    488 x 638 - 134K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Wow, REALLY love that first image.  Very well done lighitng, pose and mood.

And I'm so glad you decided to start your own thread!

• themidgetthemidget Posts: 287

Wow, REALLY love that first image.  Very well done lighitng, pose and mood.

And I'm so glad you decided to start your own thread!

I couldn't have put it better.  Great work illysArt

@IceDragonArt and @themidget, Thank you both. Sometimes images almost make themselves. 

Here is my first piece since breaking my wrist. Took longer than I liked but moving a mouse with my off hand is bloody hard.

Of course it's Raelyn on Level 19 by Stonemason. Here are the items used for Rae:

Sasori for Kenji 7 (Figure)
    Various full body morphs (fitness, etc)
    Vascularity HD for G3M
    P3D Emi (Skin / Makeup)
    Genesis 3 UV Swap: Male and Female Base
    Dagon for Hiro 3 (Pants / Top)
    Rainstorm for G3M (Boots / Gloves)
    Voss Hair for G3F
    Katana from Shi No Kage Samauri Armor for G3M

Raelyn_v10b.jpg
    1333 x 1000 - 753K
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Welcome to the Art Forum @illysArt 

Some really outstanding renders so far.

So can not wait to see more!!!

• ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471

Interesting, does he have like kabuki type of face makeup?

@ItsCeo, I bought a pack but havent really played with it much. I keep going back to P3D Emi. Its simple and elegant.

Thank you for the welcome and encouragement, @Saphirewild

Something for a friend on DA .. it's Fae Month.

Also in my gallery here: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/563206/

Asche_v02b_BW_Large.jpg
    1875 x 1500 - 1M
  • NoswenNoswen Posts: 358

Welcome to the Art Studio, you're off to a good start with those images smiley

Thank you, @Noswen. It's been a relief to be able to focus on my art again. I'm pulling old ideas out and brushing them off to give them new life.

I appreciate your encouragement.

edited April 2018

This is a pet project that I am working on just because ... I would appreciate some constructive assistance. This is the first time I've taken a character (G3 Male) and tried to create someone that I admire. If you don't recognize my attempt, I will need to go back to the drawing board.

PetProject_v01.jpg
    634 x 638 - 124K
    edited April 2018

Too dark, removed. See below, please.

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    illysArt said:

This is one of my favs... Raelyn

He's a martial artist trained since a young age. He is in a sci-fi verse I write with a friend of mine. Raelyn is more androgynous than male, is comfortable in a woman's kimono as he is shown below in armor. He has many adventures and can be quite comical at times.

Hi @illysArt 

What a wonderful image to start off your art thread! 

Trish

illysArt said:

This is a pet project that I am working on just because ... I would appreciate some constructive assistance. This is the first time I've taken a character (G3 Male) and tried to create someone that I admire. If you don't recognize my attempt, I will need to go back to the drawing board.

I may have this totally wrong but he looks like Bucky Barnes a.k.a. the Winter Soldier, Captain America's best friend, fitted with a bionic arm.

Trish

@Stormlyght, Thank you. I love Raelyn. Been doing some writing this morning that involves him while waiting for another render to finish.

@Stormlyght, YES! Thank you. That was the intention. I'm trying to recreate Sebastian Stan as the Winter Soldier. 

illysArt said:

@Stormlyght, YES! Thank you. That was the intention. I'm trying to recreate Sebastian Stan as the Winter Soldier. 

AWESOME! I definitely see the likeness laugh

Trish

Here is a better image. I am not good with textures so I used an existing from an another G3M characters. The morphs are from various packages.

Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

PetProject_v01c.png
    1333 x 1000 - 2M

I am revisiting old ideas and making them newer.. here is a new male Fae named Whimsy.

The hair was a challenge. I needed something in rainbow colors and was referred to two different products. This image uses UHT2: Ultimate Color and the companion pack UHT2: Fantasy Colors.The videos were helpful and the product was very easy to use. I will be using it again on other styles of hair to see what sort of results I can get.

Here is a link to the gallery image in case you have any comments for improvements or such you would like to leave: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/564921/

I tried using the image icon on the message window and nothing ever appeared, not sure what this user did wrong. :)

Fae_Whimsy_v02a.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    illysArt said:

Here is a better image. I am not good with textures so I used an existing from an another G3M characters. The morphs are from various packages.

Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

He does look like the Winter Soldier.

illysArt said:

I am revisiting old ideas and making them newer.. here is a new male Fae named Whimsy.

The hair was a challenge. I needed something in rainbow colors and was referred to two different products. This image uses UHT2: Ultimate Color and the companion pack UHT2: Fantasy Colors.The videos were helpful and the product was very easy to use. I will be using it again on other styles of hair to see what sort of results I can get.

Here is a link to the gallery image in case you have any comments for improvements or such you would like to leave: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/564921/

I tried using the image icon on the message window and nothing ever appeared, not sure what this user did wrong. :)

This is a really nice image.  I wonder if he is aware of what's creeping over the wall at him?

Thank you, @IceDragonArt! I am not sure if Whimsy knows yet but I wouldn't worry. Whimsy has a way of lifting spirits and ending up a friend. Even if they are hungry.

Winter Soldier is my fav in the Avenger's universe followed quickly by Black Widow. They both wear black leather so well. Mmmmm....