Control room staircase

edited June 2013 in Hexagon Discussion

I am still quite new to the whole concept of the correct way to model assets, with that in mind I have created a control room staircase model.

The model is created with genesis figure model in mind so this model should at normal size be able to walk up and down the staircase.

The model is a asset for unity 3d so I have created it hopefully correctly?

If you would be kind enough to take a look at the file and import it into Daz Studio and give me feed back on my design and construction.

There is no textures as yet, awaiting feed back on my model before I go any further.

Thank you for your time

Colpolstudios

File download: https://www.box.com/s/bu42ezsl2rltxhar5cjj

Post edited by smithhondas_5f5e5bbc1d on

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

I am still quite new to the whole concept of the correct way to model assets, with that in mind I have created a control room staircase model.

The model is created with genesis figure model in mind so this model should at normal size be able to walk up and down the staircase.

The model is a asset for unity 3d so I have created it hopefully correctly?

If you would be kind enough to take a look at the file and import it into Daz Studio and give me feed back on my design and construction.

There is no textures as yet, awaiting feed back on my model before I go any further.

Thank you for your time

Colpolstudios

File download: https://www.box.com/s/bu42ezsl2rltxhar5cjj

nice job - looks good

• edited December 1969

Thanks bigh.

Possibly a vendor or current unity asset provider could give some more detailed feedback?

I should have placed the model correctly on the floor, not that big of an issue but details like this are were I require feed back on errors.

In the mean time I have created the walls surrounding the stair case.

I am creating in a modular approach, the idea is the complete staircase could be easily rotated and used in another location within the scene.

just give me a few minutes to re upload with the changes

• edited June 2013

model updated to include the entire walls and stair case. download : https://www.box.com/s/mgdrpvf3m477wrxhq0o9

Fixed a few outstanding issues sorry for any delay.

oh just thought if you import this into daz from hex choose right view from within daz studio.

Again many thanks for your time to view and download and help.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Hello Colpolstudios
    The top stair step is higher than the landing level, and you may have problems with the the rail supports when it comes to rendering as they are showing as double faces where they meet and penetrate the kick board, it might pay to avoid that kind of situation and try to keep objects from overlapping throughout the model.

• edited December 1969

Hi I have fixed the issues with the rail supports but ran into issues with the design of the walls.

The new download and fix can be found here: https://www.box.com/s/5w86jhgz514ztpr40g5c

I will have to re design start over with the walls there is just to many issues to save it :(

Thank you for your kind help and patience.

• edited December 1969

Just to let every one following me the complete files are now fixed and here is the new download: https://www.box.com/s/l7sltz1irtcunhaluh69

I fixed a lot of outstanding issues with my model design please take the time to download comment and help me improve.

thank you for all of your time and help

colpolstudios

edited June 2013

Hi again Colpolstudios,
    It appears you still have a few alignment issues with the base of the rail supports and and areas around the top and bottom of each staircase, there are gaps, and in certain lighting conditions will certainly show up, I can see open ends to the base of the supports at the top of the model and also to the kickboard in that area. It is not easy to remedy the gaps at the bottom of the supports on the stairs the way the model stands, and to get precision may require a rethink of those sections,four in total, possibly model one stair side + rails + supports and then copy, how are your skills with the alignment tool do you use it much, it can be useful in some of these tasks.
    I may try and upload a version, after a little tweaking if that is ok with you.
    Edit: As for UVs I feel will need to be tidy and simple, as is, a little messy and not much use to work with.

Post edited by TapiocaTundra on
  • edited June 2013

Hi sorry for the delay I thank you for your time.

I have updated the files yet again, but this time access is to the entire folder with the textures.

https://www.box.com/s/k3duq931fw6c8c03n9tb

To be honest with you and others I am not a hex user.

I am a blender user but use hex to verify my content for daz studio.

Currently I am having issues with the applied textures within daz when using the bridge to export the textures.

As far as I know the saved textures will not be applied to your download so no issue for you!

The best approach is to not use the textures within hex, but apply them in daz.

The issue seems to be with the browsing files on my end.

The concrete none is the materials that have yet to be textured so just use a diffuse colour of black maybe??

So the correct order is this

concrete = concrete testing.jpg

concrete none = diffuse any colour you like "black" maybe??

Def_surf_mat I have no idea I did not put this in there??

Door= door texture.jpg

Door_frame = door frame texture 02 jpg

Floor staircase ""Should be landing" note to self""

Landing_diffuse_tiff

Floor_staircase_steps_diffuse = steps diffuse 02

Things are organized Bedlum at present sorry for that.

Hopefully you have the patience to still help me after all this

edited December 1969

To be honest too,I was going to use Sketchup for the tweaking, It uses intuitive snapping as a matter of course and being linked with precision is particularly suited for such architectural tasks as your staircase.
    I will have a look at your update later and get back.

• edited December 1969

There seems to be an issue when importing from hex using the bridge a material def_surf_mat is added???

The folder has been updated

I have improved the material setup in the new version and included the .obj files.

I used the function when exporting the .obj format merge dup points, not to sure what if any difference this will make.

There is lots I would have done differently if making this again like using an array.

I will unwrap the hand railing and texture this hopefully later today.

Again thank you for your time and patience and willingness to help.

regards

colpolstudios

edited December 1969

With Hex , always a default material. The merge duplicate points does what it says,so if points are in the same position.., so it may effect UV maps to the detriment.

• edited December 1969

Hi I have added a new concrete image and the hand railing textures to the folder.

Please note there are many issues with elements of the stair case.

I only spotted these while un wrapping, but you can simply try out the files without the fixes as they look ok.

The new concrete is a v-ray material texture file being used for testing only!!

All of the remaining textures where created by me, my favourite is the steps and landing as they turned out quite well.

It will take some time to fix all outstanding issues :(

Learning a lot many thanks for your time and help

• edited December 1969

new files available

Ok so after going back in and mostly re_modelling lots of errors the new files are now within the folder.

The folder is updated with the separate files in obj format and a hex file.

ideally the separate obj files should be grouped together for proper use in daz, but I do not know how to do this using hex.

I did try to group the elements using blender but the grouping was ignored.

You can of course just parent the files within Daz, but this is not the correct way to group this model :(

The entire stair case with the hand railing had to be remodelled due to many errors.

The hand railing and the kickboard are now much better uv mapped and the complete model is un wrapped and textured images included.

There are some minor adjustments that are need to be taken into account if you intend to use this model within unity.

Example: care is needed when applying collision mesh to the objects.

With some testing hence the delay within unity I found it best to create custom collision zones.

Here there is much to learn about ensuring that the model can be easily used within both software.

The floor coming up the second set of stairs is a instance were help is needed to improve on my way.

The issue is on the landing, by using this entire landing as a collision within unity.

Thinking out loud the issue: I am using the first person controller and not a animated character maybe??

There are ways which I have used myself to ensure the first person controller does not get stuck on the landing but within unity and not the ideal answer.

Again here there is much to learn about ensuring that the model can be easily used within both software if you have experience with both and how to help me learn please jump in and help.

I am using BLENDER to model and this requires my setup for this.

Blender

scale 1.00

-Z forward

Y up

Custom Daz Studios setup from only Blender.

Export from Daz Studio to Unity 3D

x = X, y= Y and z=Z

Scale factor is now 10000

All in all the entire process reminds me of coding and bug hunting as I am a Intermediate games designer.

You can find me here on face book: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Colpolstudios/212712528855685?fref=ts

Thank you all

Regrads

colpolstudios

edited December 1969

Looks like you have worked hard on this project Colpolstudios, and it seems you have discovered a lot, and you are moving at a fast rate which shows you are keen to get on with it, although in some ways it can be more beneficial to stand back a little and not to rush things.
    I had noticed still the issues with gaps at the bottom of the rail supports, and now also issues with reversed normals, which may cause problems, to check this in Hexagon switch off 2 sides lighting in the preferences dialogue. Welding in Hex might be your answer when sending to Daz, as grouping I think does not have the required effect when sent, if you wish to group, you can drag the objects together in the properties panel or select them and group by right clicking in the same panel and "group at the root", there are more ways, experiment.
    In the construction business if you were to jump straight in and start banging out a staircase it would be a mess, the same for 3D, measurements, planning and some thought is required, it will save time and problems later on. Good project.

• edited December 1969

Hi In deed it has proved to be a real learning experience.

I did not take many factors into account when designing the model on the third or forth time.

I have re uploaded with all of the hopefully correct fixes now.

I have tested the included FBX files within unity and now everything works well with the first person controller set to slope angle of 57.

I also took the time to add the collision zones for the steps so you can walk up them.

I also learnt a valuable lesson with the uv mapping with thanks to a hexagon tutorial.

Blender can use any size of image within the uv image window, stretching will result if you do this!!

Hence the new texture files included :)

personally, I find blender my tool, but viewing some of the tutorials on hex it has many good points worth looking into.

I have it and use it, but not often enough, shame on me :(

I am a very keen modeller and have learned lots from embarking on this model with many thanks to your patience and willingness to help.

Hopefully you find the unity character controller hex files useful.

If exporting from daz you will need to use my previous settings, just a heads up!

Oh, within unity use a scale factor of 1.

But as I have come to see the best answer maybe to model right inside unity itself, this is indeed possible and I may give it a try.