[Released] Altern8 - Skin Shader System for Genesis 8 [Commercial]

Comments

• Seems interesting...
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,016

This looks amazing, @Divamakeup ! I hope it hits the store soon!

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited April 2018

I love Altern8 and found it very easy to use while testing. I can't remember which preset I used on this G3- might have been V8 or Edward8. The promo has very minimal postwork on it. Really love how Alten8 makes the skin shine. 

TIPS: 

• For G3s and other characters that there's no specific preset for, just match the original skin tone as closely as you can to one of the presets or play with it.
    • Don't be afraid to use guy settings on gals and vice versa. 
    • For mid to dark skin tones, I found the Darius 8 preset very handy.
    Post edited by Llynara on
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,016
    Llynara said:

I love Altern8 and found it very easy to use while testing. I can't remember which preset I used on this G3- might have been V8 or Edward8. The promo has very minimal postwork on it. Really love how Alten8 makes the skin shine. 

TIPS: 

• For G3s and other characters that there's no specific preset for, just match the original skin tone as closely as you can to one of the presets or play with it.

This render looks stunning!

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    Llynara said:

TIPS: 

Thank you for sharing the great tips, Llynara! heart

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,676
    xyer0 said:
    fastbike1 said:

@FSMCDesigns "So it's not for generic G8 use, only for the specific characters released from DAZ.? I am asking as I don't usually buy or use the DAZ characters and rarely even use their skin if I do. I do however use G8 a bunch and have lots of modified skins I use, so is this character specific ?"

Diva shows promos for various FWArt men and various G3F models. Given that G8F and G3F share UVs, do you really think the settings are that specific?

I saw the Kasper, Gunner and Carson promos, but wasn't sure if she used the skin from those or just the morphs. If the "Lucas 8 A - No Maps" + "Translucency A" setting is dependant on having the Lucas skin, then I am outta luck. Guess I'll see for myself once released

It is not dependent on having Lucas 8 or any other character. My understanding (based on Divamakeup's explanation on the previous page) is that this product was designed to specifically address the skin issues of Daz Core Genesis 8 characters. Thus, the presets are named for the skins whose problems they address. Nonetheless, the presets CAN be used on any other figure, including Genesis 3. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm getting. It says as much in the text at the bottom of this image.

Well, I wouldn't say they were exactly designed to "address issues" - as I'm sure many people love the default settings - they were designed to be alternative settings for specific characters. :) And yes, they can be used with any G8 or G3 figure. I've included quite a few adjustment settings (translucency colors and strengths, SSS tint colors, etc) so that the presets can be farther modified to accommodate different types of skin textures. :)

Of course, being a PA, you can't say that. But there has been a LOT of complaining about Lucas 8, Olympia 8 & Stephanie 8. So, my only question is: Is there a Stephanie 8 preset? Oh, and which preset did you use on the Gia 7 promo? It looks like this will make that boatload of FW skins I have usable too.

• xyer0 said:
    xyer0 said:
    fastbike1 said:

@FSMCDesigns "So it's not for generic G8 use, only for the specific characters released from DAZ.? I am asking as I don't usually buy or use the DAZ characters and rarely even use their skin if I do. I do however use G8 a bunch and have lots of modified skins I use, so is this character specific ?"

Diva shows promos for various FWArt men and various G3F models. Given that G8F and G3F share UVs, do you really think the settings are that specific?

I saw the Kasper, Gunner and Carson promos, but wasn't sure if she used the skin from those or just the morphs. If the "Lucas 8 A - No Maps" + "Translucency A" setting is dependant on having the Lucas skin, then I am outta luck. Guess I'll see for myself once released

It is not dependent on having Lucas 8 or any other character. My understanding (based on Divamakeup's explanation on the previous page) is that this product was designed to specifically address the skin issues of Daz Core Genesis 8 characters. Thus, the presets are named for the skins whose problems they address. Nonetheless, the presets CAN be used on any other figure, including Genesis 3. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm getting. It says as much in the text at the bottom of this image.

Well, I wouldn't say they were exactly designed to "address issues" - as I'm sure many people love the default settings - they were designed to be alternative settings for specific characters. :) And yes, they can be used with any G8 or G3 figure. I've included quite a few adjustment settings (translucency colors and strengths, SSS tint colors, etc) so that the presets can be farther modified to accommodate different types of skin textures. :)

Of course, being a PA, you can't say that. But there has been a LOT of complaining about Lucas 8, Olympia 8 & Stephanie 8. So, my only question is: Is there a Stephanie 8 preset? Oh, and which preset did you use on the Gia 7 promo? It looks like this will make that boatload of FW skins I have usable too.

It's like Diva said; a lot of people liked the default settings for the figures you named, so her's are an alternative to them for those that prefer a more glossy character.
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    xyer0 said:
    xyer0 said:
    fastbike1 said:

It's like Diva said; a lot of people liked the default settings for the figures you named, so her's are an alternative to them for those that prefer a more glossy character.

This is way more of a change than that, they're not orange anymore. Not that I hated the orange or anything but I find it rather telling that I've started to color correct it out by default.

edited April 2018
    xyer0 said:
    xyer0 said:
    fastbike1 said:

I don't think Daz muzzles their PAs (except on things like upcoming figures), so I wouldn't let that affect my opinion on things like this. :) Things like skin settings, like beauty, is subject to taste.

There is no Stephanie 8 preset but I'm sure one of the other presets would work well on her. Her skin looks to be close to Lucas 8 or Olympia 8 (like you mentioned) so I'm sure one of their settings would work well with her. I've also included quite a few adjustment settings so that people can tweak the settings to their liking or further customize the skin's look.

For Gia 7 I can't recall exactly but I think it was "Edward 8 - No Maps" + "SSS Tint D". :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited April 2018
    xyer0 said:
    xyer0 said:
    fastbike1 said:

lol I don't think the settings are just "for those that prefer a more glossy character" - the settings, in most cases, help to bring out the skin maps' texture and colors as well as give them a bit more depth with the SSS tint and other settings. And if you look at the side by side of Charlotte 8 (the first promo) the Altern8 settings are actually less glossy than the default settings (particularly noticeable in the chest area). There are also 5 different skin shine settings included with the product for people who want less or more shine. :) 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755

I'm having a hard time believing this is a real product. Seeing you posted this on April 2nd, which is way too close to the first, I demand evidence of this product's existence before I get overly happy about it. I want PROOF that I will be able to buy a product of this nature.

- signed, Eternal Skeptic for things that are too good to be true.

I just emptied my cart to make room. Congrats, again.

Signed

-Eternal Skeptic for things that are too good to be true.

I'm having a hard time believing this is a real product. Seeing you posted this on April 2nd, which is way too close to the first, I demand evidence of this product's existence before I get overly happy about it. I want PROOF that I will be able to buy a product of this nature.

- signed, Eternal Skeptic for things that are too good to be true.

I just emptied my cart to make room. Congrats, again.

Signed

-Eternal Skeptic for things that are too good to be true.

ROFL Too funny! :) I don't do April fools jokes, for what it's worth.

It's definitely a real product! I'm glad to hear you're looking forward to it! smiley

xyer0 said:
    xyer0 said:
    fastbike1 said:

I don't think Daz muzzles their PAs (except on things like upcoming figures), so I wouldn't let that affect my opinion on things like this. :) Things like skin settings, like beauty, is subject to taste.

There is no Stephanie 8 preset but I'm sure one of the other presets would work well on her. Her skin looks to be close to Lucas 8 or Olympia 8 (like you mentioned) so I'm sure one of their settings would work well with her. I've also included quite a few adjustment settings so that people can tweak the settings to their liking or further customize the skin's look.

For Gia 7 I can't recall exactly but I think it was "Edward 8 - No Maps" + "SSS Tint D". :)

Thanks. Maybe tomorrow is the day, unless we are having the final catch up sale.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Looks interesting.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

Sooo.... would this alternate shader work for figures like Ollie,George, Old Chap and Bolnnar the Dwarf, too?

Sooo.... would this alternate shader work for figures like Ollie,George, Old Chap and Bolnnar the Dwarf, too?

Altern8 works with any G8 or G3 figure. :) Here's a render with Ollie 8's textures with Altern8 settings:

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

Altern8 works with any G8 or G3 figure. :) Here's a render with Ollie 8's textures with Altern8 settings:

Cool... so it keeps the special features of these figures "skins" while enhancing the optics and speeding up the render... definately a "must have" then yes

edited April 2018

Cool... so it keeps the special features of these figures "skins" while enhancing the optics and speeding up the render... definately a "must have" then yes

The "No Maps" presets use the character's existing maps (plus adds a couple of maps that I included to create more realism for the eyes and skin shine). It doesn't speed up the render for every character but vs the default Genesis 8 settings it usually does decrease render times considerably. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on

I'd like to get your skin work from scratch. Can you make generic character textures (as you said: the character's existing map), that have the base UV + your stuff?

I'd love a set of skins to add to any figure.

Matter of fact, I'd like to try something other than shaders for skin.

Can you help us? lol

- maybe some moles....or freckles...or deep lines on the face...or veins that pop through...or SCARS...

Scars would be awesome....a blemish......

edited April 2018

I'd like to get your skin work from scratch. Can you make generic character textures (as you said: the character's existing map), that have the base UV + your stuff?

Can you help us? lol

- maybe some moles....or freckles...or deep lines on the face...or veins that pop through...or SCARS...

I think probably Daz doesn't generally like taking on skin texture only products - they like full characters or morphs to go with the skin textures. :) At least that's been my experience when I tried to submit a creature skin texture pack a while back. And you don't really see just skin textures sold in the store, unless it's a merchant resource. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,550

Can you help us? lol

try skinbuilder from Zevo

moles, freckles, deep lines, veins, scars

• ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 530

I love that this is good for the male's as well. Thank you, @Divamakeup!

• I want this already...love the way Diva's characters look! Can't wait...

That makes quite a few of us...

I want this already...love the way Diva's characters look! Can't wait...

hahah It's in the hands of marketing, they get to decide when. I'm sure it will be soon. :) 

edited April 2018

I want this already...love the way Diva's characters look! Can't wait...

Awwww Thank you! :D That put a huge smile on my face!

Right now it's in marketing's hands so they decide when to release it. I'm sure that they won't make us wait too long. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on

I've been holding onto my last money since last week, waiting on this to come out. Each night: Will this be the one? Nope. Nope. So, I'll have to hope that I really need doesn't show up in Fast Grab. I'm sure glad Diva got all analytical on Iray and figured out how to get the look she wanted. Then she FINALLY made this product so I can stop being jealous of her skin.

I'm up on these, but thanks. I meant the veins you can see through the skin and see. The faint blue ones some pale people have.

Scars! Dang it. I only saw those for Gen 2 and was going to take the risk and get it anyway for my G3 peoples, but the store flipped too soon. Missed it.

But, yeah some skins with some real...character.

At any rate, I'm hoping this will do the fantasy thing in my head.

I want to juice up some of my skins without another shader product and I didn't want to bump up to Gen 8 so I'm counting on this baby to be that perfect gift to freshen up some old content.

hahah It's in the hands of marketing, they get to decide when. I'm sure it will be soon. :) 

Yeah, I understand that part.