Is it possible to add multiple colors to an Elefont symbol?

I have imported via Elefont a hamburger dingbat but since it's solid it can't be ungrouped.  Fonts are usually solid.  Can one use different colors in Bryce on such a solid model?

Comments

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596

Probably not as it looks like one single object.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,997
    edited March 2018

When I want different colors for the text Elefont or other, I use a gradient or a picture png or jpg for the texture. Sometimes I will use the textures from Textures-Basic like the Sin Layers and change the colors of the layers. Maybe in your case you can use a picture of a burger.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • launoklaunok Posts: 782

@mermaid010 - The idea was to change the colors of the different parts (especially dingbat fonts, i.e. foods) to use these fonts as neon signs and not build signs like I did with ice-cream neon sign in another thread here.  A Coke logo name font is fine, since it needs only one color but the others will change everything in the color chosen and will not have a nice look.  But I will go and look to see how images as you mentioned will work.  My experience with Bryce is quite limited but there are ways to learn! smiley

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    You could import it into Hexagon and give each of those elements material zones for texturing as you would like.

Although I am using Bryce for a few years now it seems like I only touched the surface. Maybe you should try a freebie, unfortunately most freebies although textured also come as a simple mesh object.

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398

I’ll try to explain this as easy as I can. Make the object positive (attributes menu) then duplicate it 4 times. Create a cube set it to negative place it so it covers 3 pieces of one of the duplicated objects. Then select the duplicated object and cube and group to make a Boolean. Then collapse the group into a single mesh by clicking the C icon when the group is selected. Do this on all 4 objects one at a time. For the 2 center parts you will need to use 2 negative cubes ( one on top one on bottom ) You will end up with 4 separate meshes you can texture individually. Then group them to translate size & position.

S Ray- thanks for this awesome tip. I must make a note of it. This method will come very handy when the objects are not textured and are a single mesh, as most freebies are.

S Ray - thank you for your help, will try this out.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    launok said:

I have imported via Elefont a hamburger dingbat but since it's solid it can't be ungrouped.  Fonts are usually solid.  Can one use different colors in Bryce on such a solid model?

launok, there is the simplest solution.
    You can send this object to me in the mail as a ZIP file. I'll split it into Wings 3D into 4 objects and I'll send it back to you as a group. True, if there is UV mapping and textures, they will be lost, but you can assign various materials to each object in Bryce.

Slepalex said:
    launok said:

launok, there is the simplest solution.
    You can send this object to me in the mail as a ZIP file. I'll split it into Wings 3D into 4 objects and I'll send it back to you as a group. True, if there is UV mapping and textures, they will be lost, but you can assign various materials to each object in Bryce.

It's very kind of you to help Launok, but is it easier to split a mesh in Wings 3D, than the method SRay described, as you know already I work mainly with Freebies, so I could love to know of any easier way to do so. wink

edited April 2018

@Slepalex  -  thank you to offer to help me.  But I want this for all the dingbat fonts to use in future to recolor them, or now use them as reference.

Last evening I started something else but was feeling ill due to backpain and stopped the process for a while.  I started to use the same 'pipes' I got from Sketchup Warehouse I have used for the icecream neon sign.  I use the hamburger font as reference at the back and build pieces thereover in Bryce.

Attached some previews.

hamburger1.JPG
    1366 x 768 - 216K
    hamburger2.JPG
    1366 x 768 - 123K
    Post edited by launok on
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    launok said:

@Slepalex  -  thank you to offer to help me.  But I want this for all the dingbat fonts to use in future to recolor them, or now use them as reference.

Last evening I started something else but was feeling ill due to backpain and stopped the process for a while.  I started to use the same 'pipes' I got from Sketchup Warehouse I have used for the icecream neon sign.  I use the hamburger font as reference at the back and build pieces thereover in Bryce.

Attached some previews.

You can and using the S-ray method, too. The second version of this method:
    Make the property of your hamburger positive, and the cube intersect. Close your cube with the part you want to separate, group and convert into a mesh. And so 4 times.
    Essential addition: in order for the object to have full properties after the conversion, export it to disk as OBJ (or 3ds), and then import it into Bryce again. You will see how the object's bounding container changes.

@Slepalex, thank you - I will do this.  I have only seen your message now.  The attached image was done before I saw your message.  Just a quick example of what I have done but the hamburger bottom does not look nice.  I will definitely try your steps! Thanks.

hamburger neon glass effect.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 250K