More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• The effect I found earlier works quite well on architectural shots:

And it isn't bad on portraits, either:

The effect is nice, but really, really light looking. And in the larger renders, there is a lot of unflattering noise coming from the bump maps on the fabric. One of the things I've found in my NPR work (and bear in mind that I work in a very start b&w style) is that, almost always, "Bump maps are not your friends." In other words, they bring detail that doesn't contribute the a clean NPR image. One other thought on your style: Consider rendering with much stronger shadows. I think your sketch filters would pick up more details that way.

Thanks for sharing – looking forward to seeing more.

I tried some strong shadows, and it turns out they're the exact opposite of what I want. The edges of the shadows show up as bold lines, while everything within the shadow is washed out. The key to making this work, which I'm still working on implementing, is to maximize contrast along actual edges and places where lines are wanted, and minimize it elsewhere. Textures with actual texture are a good thing, while large areas of undifferentiated color end up flat white with a bit of noise.

Here's my latest:

Playing around with curves at multiple points in the process helps, as does rendering at double size and downscaling at the end. Next step is to find a better backdrop - though it doesn't show up directly, it has a big effect on the outline.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I like hearing how the textures and lights affect your final image. Oddly enough, I like the shirt texture in this one, because it flows nicely on his body. Keep posting – please – as I really like looking at what you have accomplished.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited March 2018

I am seriously pooped, and I have to work again this weekend. Fortunately, this should be the last weeked work for a few months, which means I'll have more time to spend on my art and comics (both reading and making).

For the nonce, however, here be an adventurer from Cimmeria that I'm rather fond of. This is the first render of the character that I halfway like, and I think that's mostly because I decided to go so ery stark and graphic with the colors.

This is just a bit of fun, but I would still love to hear your thoughts on it.

Conan-in-blood.jpg
    1200 x 1342 - 338K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • EurocoinEurocoin Posts: 299
    edited March 2018

Easter in Daycare

playschooleaster_toon.png
    2120 x 1744 - 6M
    Post edited by Eurocoin on
  • Eurocoin said:

Easter in Daycare

A very cute scene. I'm really impressed by the amount of thought you put into the activities for each child. You can just tell that this is a happy, busy place. Nice job.

edited March 2018

Did a little more detail work on my fighter figure. I'm calling this one, Warrior of the Wastes. This is based on the M4 Warrior and a fantastic morph that was created by takezo_3001. I can't thank him enough for sharing it with me.

As usual, rendered in Poser Pro 11, editing in Photoshop and Manga Studio 5EX (aka Clip Studio).

Warrior_of_the_Wastes.jpg
    1567 x 1753 - 675K
    edited March 2018

Sorry guys, double post. I did want to mention that I've been super busy with work lately, but that should finally abate this week, and I'm really looking forward to getting back in here and posting some new artwork, and spend time enjoying what you guys are doing.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

I spent most of the day working on a scene with one of my original characters and I didn’t like it,  ☹️

• tkdrobert said:

I spent most of the day working on a scene with one of my original characters and I didn’t like it,  ☹️

Happens to all of us, at one time or another.

tkdrobert said:

Happens to all of us, at one time or another.

Yeah, but my time is so limit, I wish I had done a tutorial instead.  Ah well , it’s all practice right?

Star Fighter Pilot.  Not what I was working on before that I didn't like.  laugh

Star Fighter Pilot 

• WandererWanderer Posts: 956

Love reading how you do this wonderful work. Thank you for generously sharing. 

tkdrobert said:
    Artini said:

Looks great, tkdrobert.

Would you mind, to describe a little, how did you do it?

OK, I'll try. 

First, I render the ship in 3delight and saved it in PNG format (no background). 

Next, I open the PNG up in FotoScetcher (free).  I use the Ink2 setting (you have to tweek the settings to get the look you want) to render a black and white inked copy of the original.     

Then I open up the original DAZ render in Clip Paint Studio and make a copy.  I also open the inked version.  For the inked version, you can use a setting under the "Edit" menu to turn the white invisible.  I think it's called "Convert Brightness to Opacity." 

Next, I copy the modified Inked version over to the original PNG as a layer.  The inked version is layered over the original PNG and I usually lower the opacity to my liking.

Then, I create a new "vector" layer and I create the outlines/line work (explaining exactly how I do this would require a turorial by itself.  I'll try to update with the one I used to learn this.)  This is the most time consuming part, but if you make the effort, it will give you the best results.

Next, I created the background combining a bunch of free backgrounds that I downloaded for free from Clip Paint Studio.  I can't remember what blending modes I used.

Once all that is done, I save it to PSD format and open it up in PhotoShop.

Now here is where it gets murky, because I don't always do the exact same thing for every render.

At this point I usually merge the Line, Ink, and original PNG (copy) layers together (but not the background). 

Then, I use the Topaz Simplicity 4 plugin and raise the "Structure" setting to about 1.5. This setting is under adjust. 

Then, I use the Nix Collection (free) plugin to open Color Efex Pro and play with the "Tonal Contrast" settings.  (Technically you can get the same results playing with settings in PhotoShop)

At this stage, I sometimes use the Poster Edges filter that comes with PhotoShop.  Depends on how it looks.

Finally, I will tweak the Vibrance and Brightness/Contrast settings.

I know it looks like a lot of steps, but it's the workflow I've come up with after over a year of experimenting and I like the results.  I use this workflow for anime/cartoon/comic book type renders.  My painting renders have a different workflow.

Playing around with curves at multiple points in the process helps, as does rendering at double size and downscaling at the end. Next step is to find a better backdrop - though it doesn't show up directly, it has a big effect on the outline.

@Murgatroyd - I like this one a good deal more. Nice to see how it's progressing.

@Eurocoin - Your Easter image made me smile. Very nice.

@mmitchell_houston and @tkdroberts - You guys have some great stuff, as usual. That grim-faced warrior reminds me of art from some of the books of my youth. A very particular time period/style, but have no idea what it would be called. Reminds me of library book smell for some reason. That's not a bad thing, either. The ability to invoke feelings of nostalgia should not be disregarded. Also, that ship is pretty cool, and that pilot seems like he'd be great on planetary defense missions. 

@kenmo - I love your models and use of color in that last one. Keep going. 

@mmitchell_houston - You should consider starting a fantasy render thread like tkd's sci-fi one. Probably tons of faeries would turn up. Whether that's bad or good depends on the individual. I've been thinking of starting one myself, but not unless I don't see one soon. I'm just not that good.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited April 2018

Did a little more detail work on my fighter figure. I'm calling this one, Warrior of the Wastes. This is based on the M4 Warrior and a fantastic morph that was created by takezo_3001. I can't thank him enough for sharing it with me.

As usual, rendered in Poser Pro 11, editing in Photoshop and Manga Studio 5EX (aka Clip Studio).

very nice, I'd love to see some shadows on the ground to amchor him - the balance of the figure is excellent

you've alo avoided that lit from below feeling that I have seen in your others 

TO EVERYONE apologies for not being around and commenting on all the terrific work here

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

here's a website I made for my show presently on at Maitland Regional Art Gallery, NSW, Australia.

all made with Carrara and 20 works out of 21 are NPR

https://www.mrhugoball.com/

Show is on for three months - another month to go - so if you are in Oz I'd be honoured if you pop in :)

Post edited by Headwax on
  • head wax said:

very nice, I'd love to see some shadows on the ground to amchor him - the balance of the figure is excellent

you've alo avoided that lit from below feeling that I have seen in your others 

TO EVERYONE apologies for not being around and commenting on all the terrific work here

You know, you're right... I do tend to light from below. Probably an unconscious aspect of the "noir" look I'm going for in my work. I'll be cognizant of it going forward.

The sand scatter ground was added at the last minute to give him something to stand on, as this was strictly a figure study without any ground or background. I was just playing around with the graphic lighting and didn't want to be distracted. I actually did try putting a rock and ground in the scene. I played around with it for about 10 minutes,then I decided it was a distraction from the main figure, so I deleted it.

I must admit, I do like the way the moon came out.

BTW: Glad you're back! Looking forward to having you join us here again. You've been missed.

• head wax said:

here's a website I made for my show presently on at Maitland Regional Art Gallery, NSW, Australia.

Show is on for three months - another month to go - so if you are in Oz I'd be honoured if you pop in :)

This is a very nice piece. What sort of prints do you make for galleries? I like the lighting and the background, BTW.

• tkdrobert said:

Star Fighter Pilot.  Not what I was working on before that I didn't like.  laugh

Star Fighter Pilot 

Very, very nice. You're really getting the hang of this particular look.

edited April 2018
    tkdrobert said:

Star Fighter Pilot 

Very, very nice. You're really getting the hang of this particular look.

Thanks.  This was inspired by another artist I saw on DA.  I was experimenting with the H4 morphs and visual style shaders to get a nice Animeish (but not over the top) look.  I think I got it.  I also wanted to try out the M4 aircrew outfit I got.  I'm probably going to kitbash it with other outfits to see what looks I can acheive.  Then, I may incorporate that into my graphic novel character, who is my Ace pilot.  I'm still working on his look and what starfighter to use with him.  I like the one in this render, but it's an OBJ with no rigging and no landed version.  Right now I'm leaning toward using the free Cosmo Zero fighter available at VanishingPoint.  If I use that one, I'll probably modify the textures a little.    

I need to save this morph, so I can use it again.  I just realized, I forgot to do that.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    edited April 2018

Hello everyone, I like to share some samples of the first issue comic I've created, Journey to Aaru. while its at its end stages of editing, I like to share some samples of how three forms of techiniques (sketching, digital, and 3D modelling) are rounded up into one.

My special thanks to mmitchell_houston ​, Sickleyield, Dzfire, Stonemason, Ron's, Nightshift3D, and many others for tutorial, assets, and tools they made.

Issue 1 cover.png
    2100 x 3150 - 6M
    Page 1.png
    2100 x 3150 - 6M
    Page 15.png
    2100 x 3150 - 6M
    Page 23.png
    2100 x 3150 - 5M
    Post edited by Sammagi on
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    Sammagi said:

Hello everyone, I like to share some samples of the first issue comic I've created, Journey to Aaru. while its at its end stages of editing, I like to share some samples of how three forms of techiniques (sketching, digital, and 3D modelling) are rounded up into one.

My special thanks to mmitchell_houston ​, Sickleyield, Dzfire, Stonemason, Ron's, Nightshift3D, and many others for tutorial, assets, and tools they made.

Congratulations, that's really come together nicely! It's a solid, well-put-together piece. The overall look is solid and coherent, very well done!

-- Walt Sterdan

Sammagi said:

Good Job!

@Sammagi - I really like what you've done, especially the colors.

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    tkdrobert said:
    Artini said:

Looks great, tkdrobert.

Would you mind, to describe a little, how did you do it?

OK, I'll try. 

First, I render the ship in 3delight and saved it in PNG format (no background). 

Next, I open the PNG up in FotoScetcher (free).  I use the Ink2 setting (you have to tweek the settings to get the look you want) to render a black and white inked copy of the original.     

Then I open up the original DAZ render in Clip Paint Studio and make a copy.  I also open the inked version.  For the inked version, you can use a setting under the "Edit" menu to turn the white invisible.  I think it's called "Convert Brightness to Opacity." 

Next, I copy the modified Inked version over to the original PNG as a layer.  The inked version is layered over the original PNG and I usually lower the opacity to my liking.

Then, I create a new "vector" layer and I create the outlines/line work (explaining exactly how I do this would require a turorial by itself.  I'll try to update with the one I used to learn this.)  This is the most time consuming part, but if you make the effort, it will give you the best results.

Next, I created the background combining a bunch of free backgrounds that I downloaded for free from Clip Paint Studio.  I can't remember what blending modes I used.

Once all that is done, I save it to PSD format and open it up in PhotoShop.

Now here is where it gets murky, because I don't always do the exact same thing for every render.

At this point I usually merge the Line, Ink, and original PNG (copy) layers together (but not the background). 

Then, I use the Topaz Simplicity 4 plugin and raise the "Structure" setting to about 1.5. This setting is under adjust. 

Then, I use the Nix Collection (free) plugin to open Color Efex Pro and play with the "Tonal Contrast" settings.  (Technically you can get the same results playing with settings in PhotoShop)

At this stage, I sometimes use the Poster Edges filter that comes with PhotoShop.  Depends on how it looks.

Finally, I will tweak the Vibrance and Brightness/Contrast settings.

I know it looks like a lot of steps, but it's the workflow I've come up with after over a year of experimenting and I like the results.  I use this workflow for anime/cartoon/comic book type renders.  My painting renders have a different workflow.

Many thanks for this....

Excellent results...

tkdrobert said:
    Sammagi said:

Good Job!

Very nice indeed....

Eurocoin said:

Easter in Daycare

Very nice indeed.... My prior reply was to this outstanding work...

kenmo said:
    Eurocoin said:

Easter in Daycare

Very nice indeed.... My prior reply was to this outstanding work...

This reminds me of the Despicable Me movies.

head wax said:

This is a very nice piece. What sort of prints do you make for galleries? I like the lighting and the background, BTW.

thank you :) ah they are pigment prints on Canson Etching rag - editions of 15 at the moment.

76.55 x 54.2 cm are the largest ones.

Other sizes here - https://www.mrhugoball.com/hugo-ball-list-of-works-and-prices

They aren't very expensive, it's not about making money it's about being happy :) Though if I sell 15 at $300 that isn't bad for one image.

Sammagi said:

love this image

philebus said:
    kenmo said:

I modeled the spaceship in Hexagon3D and further detailed, textured in 3DCoast 4.8. I modeled the crane in MOI3D last year. Base render was done in 3DCoat with figure, buildings, atmosphere, birds, distant spaceships via Photoshop chicanery.

this is a beauty - wonderful atmopsheric haze and colours just right

• head wax said:
    head wax said:

thank you :) ah they are pigment prints on Canson Etching rag - editions of 15 at the moment. 76.55 x 54.2 cm are the largest ones. Other sizes here - https://www.mrhugoball.com/hugo-ball-list-of-works-and-prices They aren't very expensive, it's not about making money it's about being happy :) Though if I sell 15 at $300 that isn't bad for one image.

VERY COOL. I plan to visit the site again later and look around. It's interesting to see many of these images – which I've seen before here at the forums – in this new context.

This discussion has been closed.