Objects not appearing on Selection Palette pull-down menus (Mac)

Hi Friends...

I'm building a fairly large, detailed scene utilizing a large number of cubes, cylinders and groups. There are 510 cubes and I'm nowhere near done. When I can, I select objects directly in the Bryce Work Window. If an object is encased or blocked by other objects from all angles, I use the Selection Palette by selecting the shape, in this instance, a cube, and scrolling to the specific cube number. I keep an exact inventory of all objects and groups, in a 3rd-party spreadsheet program so this is easy.

The problem is that beyond cube #500 or so, the cubes are no longer appearing in the Selection Palette pull-down menu. My vague recollection is that there is a way to open a blank Object Attributes window (or something similar) and type "Cube 515" in the Object Name field to select that object. I just can't recall how to do it.

This issue was addressed by a member named Dan Whiteside back on Jan-28-2008, but the thread does not appear to be active nor available:

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=1103658#1103658

Can anyone explain why the cube numbers beyond 500 are not appearing in the Selection Palette pull-down menus and/or how to open a blank Object Attributes window so I can select an object by typing its shape and number in the Object Name field?

I've got Bryce 7 Pro installed on an external 80 GB bootable OS X Snow Leopard hard drive. Snow Leopard and Bryce use about 18GB's of hard drive space so there's 62GB available on the partition for Bryce to work with. That said. I'm booting an iMac running Snow Leopard from its internal hard drive and then booting Bryce from the external hard drive versus booting from the external hard drive itself. Maybe that's an issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911

Hi Friends...

I'm building a fairly large, detailed scene utilizing a large number of cubes, cylinders and groups. There are 510 cubes and I'm nowhere near done. When I can, I select objects directly in the Bryce Work Window. If an object is encased or blocked by other objects from all angles, I use the Selection Palette by selecting the shape, in this instance, a cube, and scrolling to the specific cube number. I keep an exact inventory of all objects and groups, in a 3rd-party spreadsheet program so this is easy.

The problem is that beyond cube #500 or so, the cubes are no longer appearing in the Selection Palette pull-down menu. My vague recollection is that there is a way to open a blank Object Attributes window (or something similar) and type "Cube 515" in the Object Name field to select that object. I just can't recall how to do it.

This issue was addressed by a member named Dan Whiteside back on Jan-28-2008, but the thread does not appear to be active nor available:

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=1103658#1103658

Can anyone explain why the cube numbers beyond 500 are not appearing in the Selection Palette pull-down menus and/or how to open a blank Object Attributes window so I can select an object by typing its shape and number in the Object Name field?

I've got Bryce 7 Pro installed on an external 80 GB bootable OS X Snow Leopard hard drive. Snow Leopard and Bryce use about 18GB's of hard drive space so there's 62GB available on the partition for Bryce to work with. That said. I'm booting an iMac running Snow Leopard from its internal hard drive and then booting Bryce from the external hard drive versus booting from the external hard drive itself. Maybe that's an issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I also learned about this problem for the first time (Win 7). More than 500 spheres are not displayed on the selection palette. But there is a solution to this problem.
    1. Select a group of no more than 500 objects in any way and go to the "Solo" mode. In this case, on the selection palette, you will find all your objects.
    2. In advance, assign a color family to each group of objects (no more than 500 pieces). Select this group by the color of the family and go to the "Solo" mode.

Буфер обмена01.jpg
    1047 x 811 - 106K
    Буфер обмена02.jpg
    816 x 618 - 51K
    Буфер обмена03.jpg
    956 x 785 - 91K
  • dongenarodongenaro Posts: 15

Slepalex...I will try this. Many thanks!

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited March 2018

You can also Option click (Mac) on objects which brings up a popup that has correctly numbered objects. After the first selection you can Shift+Option click objects to select multiple objects

Slepale solutions are good as well except large numbers of included objects in Color Families can crash 7.1 Mac.

Screen shot 2018-03-21 at 12.21.50 PM.png
    268 x 254 - 34K
    Post edited by Dan Whiteside on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited March 2018

Post edited by Dan Whiteside on

Slepalex... I've been incorporating the Solo function into my workflow and it's awesome! Big help!!!

Dan W... longtime no see. I couldn't find your comments from 2008 so good hearing your thoughts on this. I will experiment with object option-click and keep an eye on the number of objects in any given family so as not to crash the Mac. Thanks to both of you.

Hi Dan... just to clarify... do you mean option-click on a wireframe object in the working window in order to identify its shape number (name) in a pop-up? I'm trying that... option-clicking on an object in the work window but no pop-up appears. Have I misunderstood your instructions? 

• So sorry - don't knpw where my brain was - that should be Control Click. Good to see you back as well!