Darwins' Schtuff Pt Deux

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Speaking of Kyle- I let this one render while I was at work testing out the short curls hair.  Advice: Set everything up before using the hair.  I had Studio lock up twice after loading the hair and trying to remove a shirt to change it out for another.  Still- I think we have Kyle's hairdo. ;) 

Seen here with another one of Dark Edge's sunglasses with my coloring tweaking to match the hair. 

I decided to give this hair a try today. Knowing what a PIA it was for you, one of the first things I did after loading it was use the Geometry Editor to find the polycount.

There are over 850,000 polys for that hair!

The end result is marvelous, but all those polys slow things down a lot. So I tried something; I used the Geometry Editor Tool Settings to hide the hair, leaving just the scalp. It worked. I'm not having any issues moving my character around now. I thought I'd mention it here, so maybe that can help you, and the many others who read this thread.

• I decided to give this hair a try today. Knowing what a PIA it was for you, one of the first things I did after loading it was use the Geometry Editor to find the polycount.

Quick note: you don't need the geometry tool. As long as the object is selected, you can look at the Scene Info tab (if you have it on your interface) with any tool selected. Under Quads it will show you subD polycount/non subD'd polycount.

L'Adair said:

The end result is marvelous, but all those polys slow things down a lot. So I tried something; I used the Geometry Editor Tool Settings to hide the hair, leaving just the scalp. It worked. I'm not having any issues moving my character around now. I thought I'd mention it here, so maybe that can help you, and the many others who read this thread.

Yes. Do this :D There are several hairs and hair products that can seriously slow down the preview window. A lot of times I'll even hide clothes. But you don't need the geometry editor to do this. In the scene tab, just click the eyeball next to whatever you want to hide. You can even hide and unhide a bunch of stuff at once by selecting it all in the scene tab, then going to parameters and click all, then finding Visible and clicking that button on or off. With more and more fibermesh hair coming out, this is going to become more and more of a standard practice I think.

Anywho, back to Darwin's sexy men and women :D

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,812
    L'Adair said:
    Speaking of Kyle- I let this one render while I was at work testing out the short curls hair.  Advice: Set everything up before using the hair.  I had Studio lock up twice after loading the hair and trying to remove a shirt to change it out for another.  Still- I think we have Kyle's hairdo. ;) 

Seen here with another one of Dark Edge's sunglasses with my coloring tweaking to match the hair. 

I decided to give this hair a try today. Knowing what a PIA it was for you, one of the first things I did after loading it was use the Geometry Editor to find the polycount.

There are over 850,000 polys for that hair!

This is the sort of hair where I usually place it on the character, then use the eyeball in the scene menu to hide it until I'm ready to render. Then I render. Then I stop the render, go back to the scene menu, turn ON the eyeball, and render again so that I can see what I'm trying to do. (Most of Neftis' recent fibermesh hairs are also incredibly heavyweight in the scene.)

@ChangelingChick and
    @vwrangler

I've just gotten into the habit of hiding with Geometry tool because I can still use the Iray draw mode without it affecting the time to render. I've read/been told that making something invisible in either the scene tab or the Surfaces Editor doesn't hide it from the Iray render engine, and can still slow things down.

But I had no idea about the Scene Info tab. That sounds extremely handy. (There is so much to learn with DS. I'm competent with some things, and totally clueless with others—and I expect I'm in good company! lol)

• In the Surfaces tab if you use cutout, I think that's correct and the Iray still sees it. But if you use the eyeball/scene tab, it should hide it completely even from Iray. 

I learn new stuff almost daily in DS and related programs. I kind of love it :D

L'Adair said:

@ChangelingChick and
    @vwrangler

I've just gotten into the habit of hiding with Geometry tool because I can still use the Iray draw mode without it affecting the time to render. I've read/been told that making something invisible in either the scene tab or the Surfaces Editor doesn't hide it from the Iray render engine, and can still slow things down.

But I had no idea about the Scene Info tab. That sounds extremely handy. (There is so much to learn with DS. I'm competent with some things, and totally clueless with others—and I expect I'm in good company! lol)

Using the eyeball in the scene tab hides it from Studio almost completely, as ChangelingChick says. The program knows it's there, of course, but doesn't take it into account. It's also hidden from Iray as well.

Using the Surfaces tab (Cutout Opacity or Opacity strength) doesn't hide the geometry from Studio, although it will keep the item from rendering in both 3Delight and Iray, so you don't get any benefit when it's the geometry that's causing the issue.

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072

Evening folks!  Just stopping in for a second!

Carola- no idea, I don't have a release date yet, and when I get one all I can say is soon. :D  That's a nice render, btw- very well thought out and lit!

Thaks for the tips, everyone- I hadn't thought of simply turning off the eye- shows how well I pay attention some days when I'm half asleep. lol

So I have a sneak peek at some of the inkwork coming up. Just one!

edited March 2018

and a full render- with one of the facial paints, different eye make up, the silver blue fibermesh brow material, and a white lip stain paired with the blue contacts with the glow effect.

Post edited by DarwinsMishap on
  • FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883

Damn that ink and facepaint looks good and fits perfect to him.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

That look so damn good.. and yikes.. I'm not sure if I should run from him or give him a hug lol In that last pic he looks to be in the mood where either of those might be a good idea, just need to figure out which one is the better :)

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

LOVE the face paint and eyes.  Wow.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Wow DM I just love the tattoos and face paints and he is so hawt!!!

and a full render- with one of the facial paints, different eye make up, the silver blue fibermesh brow material, and a white lip stain paired with the blue contacts with the glow effect.

Ah, so one of the more colorful and surreal guys. He could be Scion's more colorful younger brother!

Thank you, everyone!  He's coming along- I only have a few things left to complete (extra gloss and translucency settings), but I took a break and am starting the icon rendering nightmare. lol

Yanno, vrangler, I hadn't thought of that but in the background of those two- they worked together as Stryker as their boss in a bar.  XD  

Coming soon!

Athana for Genesis 3 and 8 Females. XD

is this the one that has been hinted on in the galleries? she look interesting :)

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

That's a nice promo image! I like it. :)

Thank you!  And Carola, yup!  That'd be her. :)

This is the one that's coming in a bundle isn't it?  I've seen some of the promos by a couple of the Sympatico girls (we don't all get the same things, sadly, I didn't get to play with these, cause the whole bundle looks amazing.)  Will be picking it up as soon as I can afford it once its out lol.

This is the one that's coming in a bundle isn't it?  I've seen some of the promos by a couple of the Sympatico girls (we don't all get the same things, sadly, I didn't get to play with these, cause the whole bundle looks amazing.)  Will be picking it up as soon as I can afford it once its out lol.

I don't see a bundle, but Athana is in my cart, along with the dForce Stiga Ensemble. (I have absolutely no idea what I will use the Stiga outfit for, but it is so amazing, I couldn't resist. I can see why you'd be disappointed these weren't among the things Simpatico gave you to render!)

Athana looks stunning, Darwin. Once again, you exceed expectations. (Applause)

edited March 2018

Athana will go on wishlist for now I'm afraid, holding on to the money I have left for Christian.. just to make sure I can snag him the moment he hit the store lol. The striga outfit look cool but I honestly can't see myself using it for anything, though I do like the poses that comes with it.. so that too ended up on wishlist *grins*

And here's another Gio picture.. though you don't see much of him to be honest from this angle. Having a Liam one in the works too but could only render one at a time :)

Coming Home

A woman coming home to her man, after having been out travelling. It's a much longed for and happy reunion as they meet in the garden of their home

Post edited by Carola O on

@IceDragonArt and @L'Adair- well, it is not bundled this time, no.  It would have been cost prohibitive, even with the sale going on, to do so.  So, it's "in conjunction with" this time. XD  And thank you, too!  I do appreciate that. 

That's a great render, Carola-lighting is great, posing and POV though the gardens. Well done!

Thanks Dar :)

L'Adair said:

I don't see a bundle, but Athana is in my cart, along with the dForce Stiga Ensemble. (I have absolutely no idea what I will use the Stiga outfit for, but it is so amazing, I couldn't resist. I can see why you'd be disappointed these weren't among the things Simpatico gave you to render!)

Athana looks stunning, Darwin. Once again, you exceed expectations. (Applause)

I can't complain, I get plenty of really beautiful things to work with lol.  I admit to a particular fondness for DarwinsMishaps and Arki's stuff though.

Did a picture with Liam, it's under maturity tag over at my Deviant Art since it's a nude one. - After the fight - Enjoy :)

@DarwinsMishap: Just wondering, out of curiosity: any chance that you'll try to work on Solange again, or is she an abandoned project for now?

And here be the Liam scene I had started on earlier, before the garden picture with Gio took over :) This is Liam without Edward, as I don't have him at all yet, and a little tuning with bodybuilder and fitness morphs. Tried to turn it into a bit of a newspaper/gossip paper thing :)

BREAKING NEWS!!

Is it over? Kallisto seen driving towards the outskirts of the city after leaving her boyfriend in the doorway! Liam left behind wondering what has gotten his temperamental wildcat in such anger.

For more information and photos, see page 8

Carola O said:

Did a picture with Liam, it's under maturity tag over at my Deviant Art since it's a nude one. - After the fight - Enjoy :)

Thank you!  I liked it a great deal, well done.

Carola O said:

Thanks Dar :)

Welcome!

vwrangler said:

@DarwinsMishap: Just wondering, out of curiosity: any chance that you'll try to work on Solange again, or is she an abandoned project for now?

Probably not- I was not happy with how she came out anyway, and completely agreed with Daz's choice not to pick her up.  Maybe if I can find some decent photo resources, I may attempt something like her again.  For now, no plans whatsoever.

Carola O said:

And here be the Liam scene I had started on earlier, before the garden picture with Gio took over :) This is Liam without Edward, as I don't have him at all yet, and a little tuning with bodybuilder and fitness morphs. Tried to turn it into a bit of a newspaper/gossip paper thing :)

BREAKING NEWS!!

Is it over? Kallisto seen driving towards the outskirts of the city after leaving her boyfriend in the doorway! Liam left behind wondering what has gotten his temperamental wildcat in such anger.

For more information and photos, see page 8

LOL- looks like he's saying "whadIDO?" while she walked away- well done. XD

Aaaaaaand another clubbing - or between clubs - photo.  Not Ren this time, but Kyle.  Let this render overnight testing out his white face paint, one of his contact options, two shadow LIE presets, one LIE eyeliner and one LIE lipstain, along with one of his nail colors, all of the tattoos, kitbashed outfits with shader switches and some old V4 goggles and air filter.