What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

Before I forget that ... an easier handling with semi-transparent textures would be great. I have always problem with PNG's and Alpha Channels. If anyone knows tutorials or tipps ... much appreciated.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Need some clarification on that last request. Do you mean the way the Opacity channel handles transparency maps? Transparency maps are gray scale images, black equals 100% transparent, white equals 100% opaque, shades of gray equals varying levels of semi-transparency.

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

The Opacity channel handles always the whole material, not the different shades on the texture.

Example: If I create a simple plane and add a PGN texture with an Iron Gate on this plane, then i would like to have the parts of the gate visible, but the background of the PGN should be transparent. if i use the Opacity channel, the whole texture incl. the dark gate parts are invisible. Hope I explain it clear enough. :)

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

No that is not how it works. You have to make a separate gray scale transparency map for the opacity channel. The alpha channel can be used in and image program like Photoshop to create the gray scale map but it then has to save as a new transparency map.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited June 2013

The Opacity channel handles always the whole material, not the different shades on the texture.

Example: If I create a simple plane and add a PNG texture with an Iron Gate on this plane, then i would like to have the parts of the gate visible, but the background of the PNG should be transparent. if i use the Opacity channel, the whole texture incl. the dark gate parts are invisible. Hope I explain it clear enough. :)

It's actually quite simple, even in DS4.5 or probably earlier. I don't know how much you've already played around in the Shader Mixer, so bear with me: this is as simple as I can make it for readers who've never been there.

Just apply the PNG as always, then open the Shader Mixer. Ignore the default shader and, with your intended gate material selected, go to File>Import Shader From Scene in the Shader Mixer "File" menu. Click "OK" for a Material shader (instead of a camera or light) and your workspace populates with three nodes: the Surface Root node, the DS Default Material node, which is plugged in at "Material Color" and "Material Opacity" to the Surface Root node and has all your basic material property names, and an Image Node, probably called "Diffuse Color" and plugged in to the Diffuse Color socket on the DS Material node.

Now, you will see that there is another output socket from the Image Map node, labeled "Image Alpha". Plug it in to the DS Material node at the Opacity socket, click apply, and render. Three nodes, one map, and Photoshop (that you were going to cut out the Alpha Map in) is still showing the splash-page.

The following are the shader tree, the PNG I used (lots of good irregular Alpha there), and the resulting render.

The_Cat_on_the_Hat.png
    600 x 600 - 424K
    CMYK_Cat_1.png
    465 x 626 - 326K
    Optimizing_PNG_maps_in_DS4.jpg
    787 x 508 - 172K
    Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the great tip!

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

For 4th gen shoes to convert to genesis properly

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...think I mentioned this before but lost in all the pages. More undo layers.

A Daz/Blender bridge so those of us without extremely deep pockets can link to a more "affordable" as well as stable modelling/sculpting/3D painting application which has a killer render engine.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:

Yes please!

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:

Never going to happen.

Autofit does a decent job of converting clothing, it's no worse than any of the others, the problem with shoes is most weren't built around the default foot shape of the figure, as a result autofit doesn't stand a chance of ever getting it to fit Genesis.

I've posted this before, if you want to know if an item will autofit, then load the figure the item was designed for into your scene, zero it (parameters tab, option menu) so it's in the default T pose rather than the memorized pose it loads with. Now load in the item, make sure it doesn't "fit to" the figure, and zero it the same way you did the figure, for autofit to stand a chance the item has to be a perfect fit in the zeroed state, with no poke through of any kind. If it doesn't even come close to fitting in the zeroed state then you have no choice, it's time for a spot of DIY fitting, all the while cursing the vendors.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

I'd like to be able to drag and drop stuff into categories from within daz as well as to install items from DIM into the folders I have set up easily.

I usually install stuff, then spend lots of time dropping them into my custom categories. Would love to specify hair goes in the hair folder, gen 4 poses into the gen 4 pose folder.

• Willy2Willy2 Posts: 165
    edited December 1969

Flexible management of libraries.

edited June 2013

I'd like to be able to drag and drop stuff into categories from within daz as well as to install items from DIM into the folders I have set up easily.

I usually install stuff, then spend lots of time dropping them into my custom categories. Would love to specify hair goes in the hair folder, gen 4 poses into the gen 4 pose folder.

You can I believe. You need to be in tree view though so hovering over the list will auto-expand the + signs.

Flexible management of libraries.

How much more flexible do you want? As long as /data is untouched, everything is free game. Also the main folders inside /Runtime need to keep their structure, but everything inside of /libraries is also free game.
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Bobvan said:

Never going to happen.

Autofit does a decent job of converting clothing, it's no worse than any of the others, the problem with shoes is most weren't built around the default foot shape of the figure, as a result autofit doesn't stand a chance of ever getting it to fit Genesis.

I've posted this before, if you want to know if an item will autofit, then load the figure the item was designed for into your scene, zero it (parameters tab, option menu) so it's in the default T pose rather than the memorized pose it loads with. Now load in the item, make sure it doesn't "fit to" the figure, and zero it the same way you did the figure, for autofit to stand a chance the item has to be a perfect fit in the zeroed state, with no poke through of any kind. If it doesn't even come close to fitting in the zeroed state then you have no choice, it's time for a spot of DIY fitting, all the while cursing the vendors.

Been there done that. Works for some waste of times for others..

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Do you mean categories, folders on disk, or content folders? And are you talking about being able to move them yourself, or being able to tell DIM to do it automatically?

If you mean you have a separate content folder for hair, gen4, etc. (as I do), then I think it's quite possible DIM might get that capability. I know people have asked to have tags added to products like compatible figures and type of item, so that you could have DIM select all hair items and install them to one content folder.

If you mean categories, you can do that manually inside DS. It seems to me it would be possible to create an add-on for DIM or a stand-alone utility that would edit the DAZ-supplied metadata to use your preferred organization method instead (for example, instead of putting material presets in Default>Materials, change them all to be in subfolders of the main item). I doubt DAZ would do it, however, because it would be difficult to support, but the information is all there in the metadata file for someone to create it.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Do you mean categories, folders on disk, or content folders? And are you talking about being able to move them yourself, or being able to tell DIM to do it automatically?

If you mean you have a separate content folder for hair, gen4, etc. (as I do), then I think it's quite possible DIM might get that capability. I know people have asked to have tags added to products like compatible figures and type of item, so that you could have DIM select all hair items and install them to one content folder.

If you mean categories, you can do that manually inside DS. It seems to me it would be possible to create an add-on for DIM or a stand-alone utility that would edit the DAZ-supplied metadata to use your preferred organization method instead (for example, instead of putting material presets in Default>Materials, change them all to be in subfolders of the main item). I doubt DAZ would do it, however, because it would be difficult to support, but the information is all there in the metadata file for someone to create it.

Well, Mike, you brought it up. :D

edited December 1969

I know people have asked to have tags added to products like compatible figures and type of item, so that you could have DIM select all hair items and install them to one content folder.

Here's hoping. I was wondering why I couldn't find Fiend initially, then realized that I left DIM set to install into my Environment runtime. >.>

edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Bobvan said:

Never going to happen.

...I've had "OK" results with Gen4 footwear (as long as it didn't have spiky heels, which admittedly, seems hard to find). I always do all my initial fitting: shoes, clothing, and hair, from the "zero" pose. I also have SY's Rigging and Morphing System which helps a lot as well since it includes a fit setting for shoes/boots. Gen3 footwear is a bit more forgiving as the figures' loaded with a flat, not toes pointed, stance.

• AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited December 1969

Sure, if I want to turn off a part of an object that isnt individually selectable, I can (if Im lucky enough to find that the part in question has a separate surface) locate the Opacity slider for it and slide it down.

However, for quick ease of workflow, how about a simple eyeball next to each surface, just like we have next to each object in the scene window, that with one click will nix the opacity?

edited December 1969

...I know Carrara already has it, and now PP 2014 but what about Soft Body Physics?

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited June 2013

I'm sure someone has already said it, but I want Poser's Morph tool included in DS5. DS's built-in mesh smoothing is nearly useless to me: in order to smooth a joint or a limb, I sacrifice detail in the rest of the figure, or it introduces artifacts into the mesh, especially in the face. Both of these situations require multiple renders and compositing in another art program like Photoshop to eliminate. Having something like Poser's Morph tool in DS would be a huge advantage.

Post edited by Morpheon on
  • hzrhzr Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

This may not be a feature for the main application per se, but I have been rooting for plugins for the main 3d applications on the market, so you can use the daz figures natively inside of these.

So far I only know about Interposer for Cinema4D, which was okay but it was relatively sluggish to use from the time I spent with it. A plugin/bridge made by the developers here at DAZ would truly rock my world.

This is not a request for something like PoserFusion, please dont get me wrong. I would love to see a plugin that allows you to load genesis into for example C4D, and natively pose it inside of that application. I am sure that this would open up a whole new share of customers who currently have to model their own stuff or buy some very expensive premade figures, which are worse than what genesis can offer in about 95% of the cases.

edited December 1969

...as I mentioned a while ago, I'd like to see bridges/plugins for less expensive/free apps for those of us who don't have deep pockets.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited June 2013

heinz0r said:
    This may not be a feature for the main application per se, but I have been rooting for plugins for the main 3d applications on the market, so you can use the daz figures natively inside of these.

So far I only know about Interposer for Cinema4D, which was okay but it was relatively sluggish to use from the time I spent with it. A plugin/bridge made by the developers here at DAZ would truly rock my world.

This is not a request for something like PoserFusion, please dont get me wrong. I would love to see a plugin that allows you to load genesis into for example C4D, and natively pose it inside of that application. I am sure that this would open up a whole new share of customers who currently have to model their own stuff or buy some very expensive premade figures, which are worse than what genesis can offer in about 95% of the cases.

bring the genesis features over to other platforms like you said. (LW, Modo, C4d, Max,....)
    that would create:
    - big list of new users (ps: they first need a more advanced manual of how the content creators tool work in studio)
    - more content creators
    - new daz income money.

everybody happy ;)

Post edited by Fixme12 on
    edited December 1969

What about some future support for the upcoming Oculus rift (virtual reality inside dazstudio) this is what make 3d ultimate fun.
    http://www.oculusvr.com/

a future request can be found here
    https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=50642

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...as I mentioned a while ago, I'd like to see bridges/plugins for less expensive/free apps for those of us who don't have deep pockets.

I would love to see this too for many different apps as it would be benneficial to both DAZ and the customers and PAs. i just dont think DAZ has the time and money to do them outside of their own software family and poser.

Bring onthe Silo bridge! A Blender bridge would be cool too for Blender users.

edited July 2013

Mattymanx said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

I would love to see this too for many different apps as it would be benneficial to both DAZ and the customers and PAs. i just dont think DAZ has the time and money to do them outside of their own software family and poser.

Silo great modeler, to bad it get 's no update's anymore and a few annoyinh uv bugs still reamin in the soft.
    if daz create a blender bridge that would possible be the end of carrara. think we don't see that happen :)
    but i really like the idea as blender is great great tool. take a look at modo on 16 and 17th july.
    may be you can join.

Post edited by Fixme12 on
  • drinkingbuddydrinkingbuddy Posts: 350
    edited December 1969

If it hasn't been said already, how about batch rendering?

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited December 1969

fixme12 said:
    Mattymanx said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Silo great modeler, to bad it get 's no update's anymore and a few annoyinh uv bugs still reamin in the soft.
    if daz create a blender bridge that would possible be the end of carrara. think we don't see that happen :)
    but i really like the idea as blender is great great tool. take a look at modo on 16 and 17th july.
    may be you can join.

On the bright side, the DAZ Studio SDK is free so even if DAZ3D does not have the time and resources to commit to making the bridges, the oppertunity is there for others to do it instead.