What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

artistb3 said:
    I suggest that fixing the design flaws in Smart Content should be high on the list. I assume that DAZ has spent a lot of money on providing metadata in the past couple of years. Why not make it a priority to then provide a feature in DS that makes good use of this metadata. As is, Smart Content is barely usable.

That's not a very useful feature request - you need to say how it's failing you, or what it would need to do to be useful.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

Here's my wishlist

1. I would like the ability to tilt background images at different degrees other than vertical/horizontal. Sometimes I want to pan a camera at an angle, and it would be useful to me if I could also change the angle of the background picture, so that say a cloudy sky picture I'm using could match the camera angle, because sometimes it looks funky if the clouds are going horizonatl and the screen image is not angeled that way.

2. Would like it if backgrounds/backdrops could be affected by the depth of field camera lens. I use backdrops/grounds a lot, to save resources, but they usually are behind something. It looks odd to have them sharply in focus. Yeah, I can post work them to be blurry but, it would be cool if I didn't have to.

3. I'd like some way to capture the perspective camera. When I was a newbie starting out, I was so frustrated when I'd use the perspective camera, get the angle right, and it wouldn't save. I didn't realize I could create my own camera, but sometimes that perspective camera has a great angle or shot I'd like to caputer.

4. I'd like a better way to handle interior lighting. I love light sets, but I have difficulty lighting a room that has a ceiling if lights aren't included with the model. PErhaps an 'adhere to ceiling option' for a light set?

5. I want to backup categories reliably and easily. I don't want to have to ever make them again. I think dim is a great improvement for reinstalling content but the categories and setting those up takes hours. I want to spend time with daz not organizing.

6. I would like the import metadata tab to have items listed by product name. It is sometimes hard to find items there unless you know their number. Perhaps a columnular search. I have increasingly had to use this feature and it is frustrating not to be able to find my items.

7. Would like better way to troubleshoot database issues. I seem to be getting an increasing problem where content doesn't appear properly in the content directory and I must reimport metadata. I find it frustrating to spend so much time troubleshooting content., reimporting its metadata etc. I know this is a problem with my database, but it seems to get constipated now and then.

8. Would like daz to tell me when the daz content manager isn't running so that it can be started. when I was just starting out, this was a constant issue and I spent hours trying to figure out why content wasn't showing when this was the culprit.

Thats all I have for now.

edited December 1969

1 & 2 can be handled by putting the image on a plane isntead of using the backdrop function.

3 you can already do - Create new camera, click the More options button (if the extra options aren't showing) and then select Apply active viewport transforms.

4 Have you tried using the Align pane?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

5. I want to backup categories reliably and easily. I don't want to have to ever make them again. I think dim is a great improvement for reinstalling content but the categories and setting those up takes hours. I want to spend time with daz not organizing.

Export user data does that -- I've found it to be very reliable. It can be slow if you have a lot of custom categorization (which I do -- I categorize EVERYTHING my way).

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited December 1969
  • creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:

ah nice to read others share the same idea about this. :P
    i created a request in dazbugzilla/request tool here: (Dazstudio 5 request) Real-Time Skin Deformation with Contact Modeling

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    Pendraia said:
    icprncss said:

One major problem with mt5 and mc6 files, even if DS could read them, they wouldn't work. Procedural shaders are tied to the render engine. DS and Poser use similar but different render engines.

I don't know about mt5 files but mc6 files show up in ds. They will even apply to a certain extent. As you mention though they are tied to a different system and I'm sure they don't fully apply all functions just some of the basics.

DS can read the basics settings found on the first level of Poser material room shaders. However, DS and Posers render engines handle even something as simple as a bump map differently. Poser is pretty much black and white in bump mapping whereas DS tends to the shades of gray.

Ambient and specularity are another known issue between the two. There are probably more as you get deeper into the shader tools. . Agreed, they don't apply all the settings correctly.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited June 2013

Four things (Sorry if they have been mentioned already, I've been reading this thread to and from & don't remember everything)

1. To open the latest file from within daz, perhaps beneath File, the way you can do it in for instance MS Office or Adobe applications

2. To load several instances of smth at a time. Say I want to make bubbles and want to create 65 spheres for that. Then loading 65 spheres is a pain in the XXX today!

3. To see the result of more than 7 light sources in the working window. A chance to pre-view shadows would be nice too, but not a top priority from my end.

4. To change the colours of the pulleys for translation, rotation etc. I've never been that found of the pastella colours. They were much nicer to the eyes back in DS3 imho. And smaller also.

Post edited by Hera on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:

3. To see the result of more than 7 light sources in the working window. A chance to pre-view shadows would be nice too, but not a top priority from my end.

I think that is a function of OpenGL and your video card, not the software.

Dana

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

- Motion Paths, definitely
    - Particles!

Extra credit:

- Particle collision handling (death on contact, bounce, etc.)
    - Illustrator import of motion paths

Then I'd shut up for, oh, at LEAST six months! (chortle)

edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    2. To load several instances of smth at a time. Say I want to make bubbles and want to create 65 spheres for that. Then loading 65 spheres is a pain in the XXX today!

You could load one and create 64 instances or geometry shells (both from the Create menu) as long as you wanted identical copies as far as shape was concerned.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited December 1969

I would wish for a complete revamp of their export-writing software; eg., when exporting to another program (in my case AD 3DS Max), the morphs aren't getting through. It's a far cry from previous experiments in this regard as the mesh doesn't break, the texture is exported properly. For the record I use the FBX, and I don't know how things aren't properly translated, but the dials doesn't show up at the other end.

Blender intercompatibility with Max and Maya has always sucked. This is too bad because better support for working with it at the same time as the big suites would forward the program's interests in general.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

I want a feature that says, " I wouldn't do that if I were you", or "You might think about doing this first", or "If you do this it may give you better results".

Well, maybe not that far, but maybe somewhat like that.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Old joke about Microsoft building cars:
    The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Herakleia said:

Dana
    It is.

edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    DanaTA said:
    Herakleia said:

Dana

It is.
    So what do I do about it?
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Buy a GC that can display 16 lights. :) Sorry but since this is down to the Graphics Card and OpenGL you can't do much about it

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    Gedd said:
    DanaTA said:
    Herakleia said:

Dana

It is.
    So what do I do about it?

Best you can do short of getting a better card is turn off some lights to see what the others will do. Or try to use UberArea lights or IBL or IDL. I don't know much about the latter, so I don't know how much good that will do, but it's a thought.

Dana

edited December 1969

One of the challenges of lighting and texturing is that once one starts to get into more complex areas the preview window can't keep up and one has to go on test/spot renders and past experience. It has been and will probably continue to be that way for a while due to the compromises between providing a fast/responsive preview and wanting as much as one can get out of the final outcome.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    One of the challenges of lighting and texturing is that once one starts to get into more complex areas the preview window can't keep up and one has to go on test/spot renders and past experience. It has been and will probably continue to be that way for a while due to the compromises between providing a fast/responsive preview and wanting as much as one can get out of the final outcome.

I think that's a 3d issue more than a DAZ Studio issue.

edited June 2013

Yes I meant that in the general sense. The whole issue related to light limitations would be the same for any software using OpenGL, not just DS. Blender, Maya, 3DS Max... any OpenGL viewport :)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

Controlling lighting while rendering
    queue rendering

They are Lux features but they make rendering much more fun!

edited June 2013

I use Lux, but it's too slow for me for regular use. I await the day I can use Octane with tons of video ram and not a lot of cost ;)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited June 2013

Gedd said:
    I use Lux, but it's too slow for me for regular use. I await the day I can use Octane with tons of video ram and not a lot of cost ;)

I have rendered over 1500 renders using lux in alot of cases I actually find it faster but not always...

Hence why i built a 32G tower with monster cooling power...

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

Okay, I know, most of my ideas are pure fiction ... but who knows ...

1. A complete Manual (which means, no new features until the documentaion was updated)

2. A more simplified usage of the interface. No more hidden hidden features that can only be found by accident, after long search or through a note in the forums

3. A unified base mesh with all needed morphs, which allows you to use ANY new and old charcater in ANY 3D application. it isn't nessecary to work on a better Genesis version, if that new Genesis-Character will not work in Poser, Carrara or other applications right from the beginning too. I hope that DAZ has learned from their expierences before DSON.

4. Full integration of external render-engines like LuxRender without optinal applications like Reality or Luxus

5. Options/Shaders for Fur and Hair. Long overdue and standards in all other applications.

edited June 2013

And why bother to have to tweak everything? How bout great settings out of the box...

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Let's go a step farther. Be able to tell studio what kind of scene you want, characters, background, lighting and so forth, then it takes what content you have and creates a scene for you so all you will have to do is pick the angle and tweak it here and there.

(Dammit Ledhead, where's the artistry in that) :D

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
    edited June 2013

And a DON'T - as in Don't move everything around in the interface, so you have to re-learn where to find stuff

Post edited by Hera on