BRYCE RENDERING CHALLENGE May "UNEXPECTED" WE HAVE WINNERS

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited May 2013 in Bryce Discussion

Second DAZ 3D Bryce rendering Challenge

Theme for this month is "Unexpected"

This thread is the ENTRY thread, and will be the thread used to make it easier for the judges. We reserve the right to remove any posts that are not entries for the challenge

Rules
~~~~~

All renders must be new renders.

You can enter up to 3 renders.

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme and the person who has selected it.

The winner of the April Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the June contest.

This will then continue with subsequent winners choosing the theme for the next but one contest, which will enable a new contest to start with the
minimum of delay between contests.

Whoever nominates the subject for the Challenge can modify the rules to suit that challenge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Challenge ends on 30th May Midnight DAZ 3D time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A $20 DAZ 3D gift certificate will be given to the person whose render is selected as the best, $5 for two runners up.

Judged by members of the DAZ 3D CV team.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Someone has to start.

1. Sunbathing - An unexpected place for sunbathing.

2. Sunrays - Unexpected that the sun rays last long enough to climb up.

Bryce, no pp. Hitomi is from DAZ 3D. The arches come with Bryce and were made by Clay Hagebush. The rays are the Streaming Rays material, a free resource from Frozencry (Denny Markovic) available at bryce5.com. Main light by the Bryce sun, ambient light by the Stoneheap Sky Dome HDRI which also supplies the cloud.

Sunbeam.jpg
    1600 x 1067 - 368K
    Sunbathing.jpg
    1600 x 1067 - 388K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Here are three images whose results really surprised me.

Cube_n_Cube_59_Sig.png
    810 x 607 - 1M
    Cube_n_Cube_35_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Cube_n_Cube_4_6_Sig.png
    1110 x 840 - 2M
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,076
    edited December 1969

The Abstract scene : unexpected result with only a few primitives, planes and lights.

The desert scene : unexpected spacecraft made from a tree.

unexpected_desert_scene.jpg
    872 x 600 - 110K
    Unexpected_abstract_scene.jpg
    872 x 600 - 138K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited May 2013

I'm running with this.

Edits

It is in two halves because of the display limitations of the forum - Unexpected.
    It is a exported Minecraft map but only 14 mb in spite of the untextured object being 45 mb - Unexpected.
    The exported materials had alpha maps that Bryce could read - Unexpected.
    There was a village - Unexpected - I didn't build that, all I did was go in and punch a tree.

Unexpected8_right.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    Unexpected8_left.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • mx42bmx42b Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Everything in this image was created entirely with objects and mats found in the Bryce 7.1 pro base package.
    The only post Bryce render work is the addition of my tag line and the conversion from .bmp to .jpg.

Snova1.jpg
    1140 x 829 - 94K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

OK, entry number one:

The Arrival of the Spanish Inquisition (Because nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition)

SpanishALT.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 455K
    edited December 1969

Entry number two:

It's not a Bonsai, it's a Lilliputian tree in a giant tray.

LittleTreeALT.jpg
    975 x 975 - 463K
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Excellent images and some really interesting ideas.
    Here's my (only) entry:

Title: "Unexpected Change of Management"

Software used:
    Bryce 7
    Modo 6 (modeling)
    D|S (posing and bridge to Bryce)
    Photoshop (image textures)

Content used:
    Genesis - DAZ3D
    Shadow Warrior Clothes -Sarsa
    Mech Enforcer - Stonemason
    Alien - Electronic Fronter
    'Bot - Included with Poser 3, detail added in Modo.
    Grime images - 3DGarage
    Billithead font - Macfonts

Rendered at 64RPP with True Ambiance - about 5 and a half hours.
    Thanks for looking!

unexpected.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 353K
  • MrSilusMrSilus Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

I had thought of a scene like this after watching the movie "Oblivion", which has amazing post apocalyptic scenarios.
    Unfortunately this has been a hellish month and I've had little time to play around with Bryce. It's a scene I would like to improve when I have more time.

I call it "Unexpected Silence", because after a global disaster dried almost all water, typically crowded and noisy places such as a dock area, became dead silent, with the exception of wind.

Rendered in Bryce 7.1 Pro. 16 RPPs. Took about 6 hours to render at the current resolution. I had to drop some quality settings, such as True Ambience and Soft Shadows, because Bryce was projecting over a day to render this with them on. It would finish after the challenge ended...

unexpected_silence.jpg
    1024 x 640 - 160K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Started as "Unexpected birth of a New land" and then got an unexpected result when a face apperared in the fiery eruption.

birth_of_a_new_land.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 381K
    edited December 1969

Transferring this from the WIP thread. as he hasn't done it himself

jonathan said:
    An unexpected study in palm trees: Left to right, Lisa's, Bryce's, Monsanto's. Monsanto's is a splice of Lisa's truck to Rigged Hand imported as a .obj from Blend Swap, via Blender.

and hid 2nd one

OK I'm done with palm trees and desert scenes for a while. It's been fun though.
    Pure children's storybook interpretation of theme. No premium effects, no IBL, no postwork.
    Thank you David & Horo for your tips. I bought your tutorial package last time it was on sale. It will probably take me a year to digest all the material in there.

Dunes_9v3.jpg
    1514 x 1060 - 858K
    Study_in_Palms.jpg
    1514 x 1060 - 109K
    edited December 1969

another transfer

I thought I might try.

!Unexpected_Contest_001.jpg
    525 x 700 - 398K
    edited December 1969

Another transfer from WIP thread

This was an unexpected result I got using David’s

Bryce Made Easy - Abstract recipe 1 - by David Brinnen

unexpected.jpg
    960 x 720 - 44K
    edited December 1969

And the last

This was an unexpected result I got using David’s

Bryce Made Easy - Abstract recipe 1 - by David Brinnen

new_entry.jpg
    1370 x 683 - 559K
    edited May 2013

Well once again the voting, by an International Jury from as far afield as Sweden, Northern Ireland, Eire, New York, Alabama, Ohio and a guest judge from England have pondered and given their results.

Points were again scattered across most of the participants, but these made the top 3 place

In first place The Savage (Spanish Inquisition)
    In second Place Mr Silus (Unexpected SIlence)
    In 3rd Place Lord Ganthor (Be alert for bears)

Thanks again for taking part, and all your images were admired by the judges. adbc's abstract scene came in for comment as being "neat" but didn't quite make the cut, as did others. The lower part of the points table was close,

Store credit will be placed into the accounts of the top 3, if they let me have email addresses (the one you log in with) in PMs.

Dave, it is your priviledge to name the theme for June's Challenge, if you can let me know asap, thanks.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners. Well done and well earned.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners - different for sure !!

• JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Transferring this from the WIP thread. as he hasn't done it himself

jonathan said:
    An unexpected study in palm trees: Left to right, Lisa's, Bryce's, Monsanto's. Monsanto's is a splice of Lisa's truck to Rigged Hand imported as a .obj from Blend Swap, via Blender.

and hid 2nd one

OK I'm done with palm trees and desert scenes for a while. It's been fun though.
    Pure children's storybook interpretation of theme. No premium effects, no IBL, no postwork.
    Thank you David & Horo for your tips. I bought your tutorial package last time it was on sale. It will probably take me a year to digest all the material in there.

Thanks chohole - I've been distracted with other things lately (including david & horos spherical mapper) and meant to do this myself.

• JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

I'm running with this.

Edits

It is in two halves because of the display limitations of the forum - Unexpected.
    It is a exported Minecraft map but only 14 mb in spite of the untextured object being 45 mb - Unexpected.
    There was a village - Unexpected - I didn't build that, all I did was go in and punch a tree.

Hmm . . . the possibilities for using Minecraft as a scene builder for Bryce are interesting. Perhap you can do a tutorial? :-)

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Congrats to the winners. All are very nice images.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,955
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,076
    edited December 1969

Sincere congrats to the winners !

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Brilliant work guys.

Well done to the winners, you deserve it.

edited December 1969

And the good news is DAZ 3D has agreed to sponsor this challenge, so from now on in it will have more prize money. Yeehah, thanks DAZ 3D and Britney for setting it up for us.

We will be including a prize for the best New Bryce user entry.

details will be in the New thread, when I get it up

edited December 1969

Thanks guys. my chief weapon is fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency and an almost fanatical devotion to Bryce. :-)

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited June 2013

Well done to the winners!

I wonder what Dave will come up with... he has a devious mind. It might be something based on a pun I reckon.

jonathan said:
    I'm running with this.

Edits

Hmm . . . the possibilities for using Minecraft as a scene builder for Bryce are interesting. Perhap you can do a tutorial? :-)

So long as I get the chance yes. What would you like the tutorial to be about?

I've covered exporting...

Minecraft map export to Bryce - Using jMc2Obj - a video guide by David Brinnen
    Minecraft map export to Bryce 2 - Using jMc2Obj - a video guide by David Brinnen

There's a great channel here dedicated to playing Minecraft itself http://www.youtube.com/user/mcspotlights

Say what else you need to know and I'll do my best to come up with something.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • MrSilusMrSilus Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to everyone that entered the challenge and especially the other winners|!

And thanks for the second place!

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Good job everybody!

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the honor. To be honest, I got so bound up with Real Life that I forgot to keep an eye on this thread! I'm hoping to do better next time...

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Congrats to the winners, definitely well deserved.