Oso Toon Shader for Iray for Sale! [Commercial]

Comments

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Yes, one reason I'm interested in it so much is because it's designed to work with postwork effects, not as an alternative to them.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886
    edited February 2018

Here's an example of the ambient effect.

First is a quick normal render, second is flat color, third is flat color with 15% opacity over the normal render.

Tavern Raw.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 447K
    Tavern Flat.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 736K
    Tavern Combined.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 471K
    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312

I notice your flat colour render doesn't have shadows, do shadows work with this pass?

Heh, that’s why it’s flat. It’s quite intentionally lacking shadow and highlights.

The shading pass adds all that lighting, which allows you to control exactly how the lighting appears, whether it’s two tone like some anime, or sketched in, or ...

How is the flat color pass done? Broadly, I mean?

I remixed the shader so that you can choose to send the Base Color map to Emission Color. When you turn down max path length to 1, the result is everything is glowing with it's base color and there's no light spill.

You could theoretically do this by copying every Base Color map over to emission color map and then managing multiple copies of your scene file. Hahaha.

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455

Does the outline mode render an image with all lines being the same thickness or will they vary in width based on some value?  It would be great if the line could be varied in width some how to better approach a comic book "inking" type effect.  

It uses materialID and then either Photoshop or GIMP to convert to lines. The thickness will depend on how different the colors are, though that's hard to control. You can somewhat adjust line thickness by image size, blur, and levels; really large images make thinner lines, once image is reduced.

What I generally do is take the Shading pass and run an art filter that creates some sort of outlining effect, and then add the Outline layer to strengthen/add to that.

The flat color strategy sounds very clever. Yeah, I was worried about something manual or semi-manual that would screw up the textures in other ways. ;-) Glad it's not that.

Topaz Labs just remixed a neural-net driven artistic filter called AI ReMix. I am SALIVATING at the idea of mixing it up with renders with these shaders.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575
    edited March 2018

The flat color strategy sounds very clever. Yeah, I was worried about something manual or semi-manual that would screw up the textures in other ways. ;-) Glad it's not that.

Topaz Labs just remixed a neural-net driven artistic filter called AI ReMix. I am SALIVATING at the idea of mixing it up with renders with these shaders.

Edited and sent you a PM instead (rather than posting in this thread) Sorry!

- Greg

Post edited by algovincian on

Thank you for your appreciation of etiquette 

I'm struggling to get the same effect as the PDF shows for the shading pass.

I'm also finding bits of the PDF confusing, why are there ? in places

osotoonshader3.JPG
    780 x 486 - 82K

And we're live!

Scorpio: Heh, the ? are part of the actual parameter name; Base Color Type? and Emission Type?

Nothing fancy.

As for shading pass, you need to set Base Color Type? to Alternate Base Color or Edge Color (depending). For Alternate Base Color (organic/curvy shapes), you then want to set Line Balance to around .5; this darkens the figure around the edge.

If you just want a grayscale image, then Alternate Base Color is fine.

To then get some specific art effect, you need to take that shading pass into an art filter of some kind (Photoshop, GIMP, FilterForge, FotoSketcher, Topaz, etc)

• I grabbed this today and I am totally lost with how to use it. I keep getting errors when I click Flat Color, 2D and 3 Shading. And when I click on the Toon shader it doesn't 'toon' anything. 

Please god show me how to work it (or point to instructions...)...LOL

• First off -- wow, Will. Thank you for doing this. Bought and bought.

Secondly... and this is almost embarrassing to ask...

In the instructions, most of the passes have a 'shut off all lighting' step in them. What exactly do you mean? Obviously we're not turning all the emissives off. Is this shorthand for 'go to 'dome only' for lighting and then have no dome? Or is there something simple (and that I should have figured out three years ago) I'm missing?

The first three items are just info tooltips, not actual shaders. I have a copy of the instructions on page 1 (which should also be in your documents folder but sometimes that can be hard to track down)

First off -- wow, Will. Thank you for doing this. Bought and bought.

Secondly... and this is almost embarrassing to ask...

In the instructions, most of the passes have a 'shut off all lighting' step in them. What exactly do you mean? Obviously we're not turning all the emissives off. Is this shorthand for 'go to 'dome only' for lighting and then have no dome? Or is there something simple (and that I should have figured out three years ago) I'm missing?

Whatever lights you have on, turn them off. Hide them, set them to 0, depending on what light it is.

It MIGHT look ok even with the lights on, but it can throw off the 'flatness'

It would have been nice if there were a few presets for the different 'styles' also for the render settings. 

I'm really struggling to get anything like the images in the pdf.

With all lighting turned off I get black renders. I'm turning ioff the headlamp is this necassary?

The Material ID renders are not coming out with flat colours

Eyes are losing all textures once the toon shader is applied.

The shadow pass seems to be the only one I can get any results from.

Let’s start with Flat Color, since that’s the most straight-forward:

Make sure all surfaces are selected, apply shader.

Set Emission Type? to Base Color

Set Max Path Length to 1.

Do Nvidia viewport or test render. If everything is black, check Alternate Luminance and Luminance units.

If units are cd/cm2, then luminance should be in the 5-8 range. If the units are cd/m2, then default value (40000, I think?) should be fine.

Note that the actual color of corneas and other refractive surfaces are usually gray or white; you can either hide these surfaces or use lower opacity for them.

Also, there are no presets for styles because this product doesn’t do art filtering, it gives you a strong starting point to apply effects.

However, simple line sketches are fairly quick and easy. And edge line renders can create nifty sketchy images in one go (assuming you like the weird effect it creates on curved surfaces)

Hmmm..... Applying a new shader to an entire largish scene all at once mmmmmmay have been a mistake. And one I should have known better than to try. I was just So! Excited! to see it out. I even bought it tonight instead of waiting until tomorrow (my usual practice). 

Quit, reloaded, restarted after dividing the scene into character and set groups. It applied relatively quickly to the character group (only a few minutes) even though the character group took longer to form than the set group. But the set group is still in the Not Responding stage of being hit with the Oso Toon Shader and I'm about to fall asleep, so I guess I'll let this continue doing whatever the hell Daz Studio is doing when it takes so long on these group operations (it certainly isn't unique to Oso Shader). And I shall pick this up tomorrow.

Got a flat color render. Not quite sure if I got all the lights off, but I'm going ahead with the process anyhow. I'm using the MaterialID scripts and.... they seem to be mostly setting objects/surfaces to the same materialID color? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, or probably doing something wrong, but I'm going to try a render.

One script sets everything to one color, another sets each object to a different color (good for skin!), while the third sets all materialID different.

Its a good idea to tweak the colors to make sure they differ noticeably between neighboring surfaces.

On clothing with a lot of zones you can control where lines appear by setting materialIDs appropriately.

And yeah, applying a custom shader to a lot of surfaces at once can be... sluggish.

edited March 2018

Got materialIDs basically sorted. Is it usual that some textures (a brick wall and a wooden desk here) seem to have the textures showing through the materialID color in the render?

Oh, that's weird... Max Path Length got reset to -1 somehow. Let's re-run those renders again! Oh look, the MaterialID one is much crisper and faster. I bet the flat color one will be flatter, too.

One thing I like about this is that once I get it set up, all I have to do to switch between render types is adjust a field or two in the select-all shader set.

Post edited by dreamfarmer on

Yeah. Earlier in development I had three different shaders requiring three different files and I went ‘oh man that’s... annoying’

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Congrats Will!

Supported :)

• Made a first attempt -- the flexibility seems really nice. (Though I learned that combining your iridescent shaders and these toon shaders isn't a thing :) ).

It's got a steeper than expected learning curve, in part because it expects a lot more knowledge of post production than some may have. This would be an excellent candidate for two or three tutorial videos going through how to produce specific effects in Photoshop or GIMP.

Vort.jpg
    2000 x 2263 - 2M
  • I should make clear -- it's a very, very nice product. I'm looking forward to stretching my wings a bit with it.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

I saw this in the store and was thinking "I wonder what Will thinks of this?" and then I see it's made by Will - into the cart!

Haaa! Thanks, RGcincy! :)

And good to hear, Demiurgent! I am rather nervous about this product because it DOES require a lot more involvement, and I really don't want people getting the wrong idea and being disappointed.

But as someone who has PWToon and a bunch of other things... a lot of those are very easy at first, and then you start noticing things that are harder to pull off than you thought.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    Oso3D said:

Some more toonish types.

Look good!