Is it possible to use the new D-Force to create JCM's?

RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142

Just wondering.  I'm currently rebuilding my Trainging Gear, renamed to Training Togs to Genesis 8 Male (most of which had to be rebuilt from scratch but managed to get the UV's so many pieces accept the old mapping so that's cool) but of course in extreme poses there are things that go wrong like him doing the split his crotch area goes very wonky and stretched out.  Now I've already created the needed Left and Right and Full split morphs in ZBrush but was wondering if using D-Force on the pants might give me a more natural look to the cloth after a sym.

Anyone done this and if so are there suggestions for settings, screen grabs, video tutorial... yadda yadda yadda.

Thanks so much

Richard

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626

You certainly can use dForce for that.  You do the sim in the pose you want to correct, make sure the clothing is at base subdivision, hide the fiure, and export as obj.  Then you reimport the obj as a morph with reverse deformations on, just as you would from a Zbrush obj.

A significant downside to this is that if you want to fix the crotch, too bad, it's going to sim the entire garment.  The only way to get around this is to do a new dForce influence map before each JCM sim (and be careful not to save with the map on since it's temporary).  This means it's going to generally take a lot longer than the Zbrush workflow.  When I tried it I ended up feeling it was easier to just do it manually, but only you can decide that for yourself.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142

Thanks so much for the info.  Yea, I was wondering about that.  The thing is this pair of pants is pretty much skin tight so I was hoping that it would just move all the verts back to where they should be as the cloth cascades around G8M's posed form.  . 

• MadaMada Posts: 1,855

I haven't tried this out yet but in theory if you only want to sim a certain part you can set up material zones for the non sim parts and turn it off so that only the part you want to sim moves. Basically do your JCMs on a modified obj and then import the JCMs onto the final outfit. If you sim the whole outfit you end up with the problem that for example the knees/calves move out of place and when you bend the thigh with the JCM activated and then bend the knee its not sitting in the right spot.

Mada said:

I haven't tried this out yet but in theory if you only want to sim a certain part you can set up material zones for the non sim parts and turn it off so that only the part you want to sim moves. Basically do your JCMs on a modified obj and then import the JCMs onto the final outfit. If you sim the whole outfit you end up with the problem that for example the knees/calves move out of place and when you bend the thigh with the JCM activated and then bend the knee its not sitting in the right spot.

Ooh, that's a clever idea!

Yes, clever. One of the issues with pants is the crotch.  So making a JCM for a full split, split L and split R are needed.  IT was an easy fix in ZBrush using the smoothing tool set down to about 7 but I like the idea of a simulation creating the wrinkles on the sides of the pants for a more realistic bend side to side... or front to back and so forth!   Hopefully someone, in time, will have a set of tools for merchants to help with this.  I love ZBrush to death but the less I have to go outside of DS for my content creation the happier Wolffie I'll be!  lol

Hi,

I did run a sym on my pants and it worked fine but I did end up in ZBrush to fix a few bits but did like the overall sym better than my full fix I created in ZBrush.  There were no loose bits on the pants so all it did was bring all the whacked and spread out verts more evenly spread out.  So that's a good thing!  lol

Glad it worked! :)

:-)

• I'm doing the Simulations in Marvelous Designer. Using Strengthen keeps the deformations relatively local to the joint rotation. 
    But alas, MD does not support Dual Quaternion skinning, so there's always a little poke-through.
    But maybe it would also work with Dforce, setting very high rigidity settings? Wouldn't give optimal results in all cases, though.
    Using Facegroups to create influence maps, then simulating with DForce will is the way to go IMO.

Research, research :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

I use and create extra material zones for all my sims and attenuate by surface in morphloader to add morphs to all my old DAZ clothes yes