More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    edited February 2018

Evening Flight Over the City

Another one of my futuristic skycars/spacerods influenced by Heavy Metal magazine and the art of Moebius (aka Jean Giraud).

The owner takes his skycar for an evening cruise over the city skyline.

Modeled in Groboto3D and 3DCoat 4.8. Also textured in 3DCoat. Rendered in Poser Pro 11 using comic book option.

Postwork done in Photoshop 2018, Topaz Studio Impression, Filter Forge 7.0 and ArtRage 5 to give it a comic book illustrative look.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • will2powerwill2power Posts: 270
    edited February 2018

I keep working at the B/W manga look and I am finding out some interesting things when it comes to rendering. I'm starting to see what has been the trouble as I go through and try to work out something that actually looks like it might come from a B/W manga page. The problem I have been experiencing is that I have been working too hard at realism. A lot of the hair throws the eye off no matter what you do with it. So I have started looking at a different approach in that I'm looking to integrate simpler hair into my workflow. Not everyone yields a statisfying result out of the box but I have discovered you can get a lot closer to the look that I want using something like this. 

Manga Test 2

I actually really liked how the hair turned out in the image, so I feel a lot of this kind of hair has the potential to work in developing an anime look in Black and White 3D.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    Diomede said:
    head wax said:

here's a few renders straight out of Carrara that might be of interest to someone  - (well all  but one - the top middle one is toon pro overlaying the first image on the top left) 

- the water colour effect is obtained by doing a photon pass- and at least one of them has caustics turned on - the dark lines courtsey of toonpro! ( a carrara add on plugin)

the one with the most lines - the obj was bought in facetted/.???? and ended up as a primitive ??? I think that's what happened - then when I converted to mesh it lost all those lines (the ones that demark the tri gons)  - shader image attached - the shader uses easy Fresnel by shoe string shaders

here's some poser  robots for the Carrara toon challange - I rendered out an occlusion pass, a shadow pass , and a toonpro pass - I dirted up the shadow pass in fotosketcher - then combined them - uses parameter Darker Colour

Great work.  The difference in lines after conversion may be due to calculated mesh density.  At least in the native NPR engine, the same settings will generate a different look if the underlying mesh is more dense.  It shouldn't affect post render filters like GMIC, I wouldn't think.

thanks Diomede :) sorry I havnt been around , real life intrudes!

head wax said:

here's a few renders straight out of Carrara that might be of interest to someone  - (well all  but one - the top middle one is toon pro overlaying the first image on the top left) 

- the water colour effect is obtained by doing a photon pass- and at least one of them has caustics turned on - the dark lines courtsey of toonpro! ( a carrara add on plugin)

the one with the most lines - the obj was bought in facetted/.???? and ended up as a primitive ??? I think that's what happened - then when I converted to mesh it lost all those lines (the ones that demark the tri gons)  - shader image attached - the shader uses easy Fresnel by shoe string shaders

here's some poser  robots for the Carrara toon challange - I rendered out an occlusion pass, a shadow pass , and a toonpro pass - I dirted up the shadow pass in fotosketcher - then combined them - uses parameter Darker Colour

Really love the bottom render. Certainly looks like a hand pencil sketch...

• EurocoinEurocoin Posts: 299
    edited February 2018

I've been playing with toon shaders lately. Here is three different version of my latest scene.

toontest_sketch2.png
    2120 x 1744 - 3M
    toontest_solid2.png
    2120 x 1744 - 3M
    toontest_solid_alt.png
    2120 x 1744 - 5M
    Post edited by Eurocoin on
    jonttex82 said:

I've been playing with toon shaders lately. Here is three different version of my latest scene.

Looking good...Especially like the pencil sketch looking render...

edited February 2018

I keep working at the B/W manga look and I am finding out some interesting things when it comes to rendering. I'm starting to see what has been the trouble as I go through and try to work out something that actually looks like it might come from a B/W manga page. The problem I have been experiencing is that I have been working too hard at realism. A lot of the hair throws the eye off no matter what you do with it. So I have started looking at a different approach in that I'm looking to integrate simpler hair into my workflow. Not everyone yields a statisfying result out of the box but I have discovered you can get a lot closer to the look that I want using something like this. 

Manga Test 2

I actually really liked how the hair turned out in the image, so I feel a lot of this kind of hair has the potential to work in developing an anime look in Black and White 3D.

Wow...not sure how I missed this on my prior visit....

• philebusphilebus Posts: 241
    edited February 2018

Wow...I've been away a long time and there's a whole new thread for me to catch up on. The old computer finally gave up the ghost a while back and I kind of dropped out of things but I'm up and running again with a new machine - I've been saving for a couple of years to buy one and while it's far from the power houses that a lot of folk seem to be using, it's fairly zippy.

Anywho, I tried out something simple to break myself back in and I thought I would post before I start trying to catch up. As with the last images I was doing before the final BSOD, Poser 11, Affinity Photo with Topaz Simplify, then a mix of overpainting and lots of palette knife in ArtRage. I want to try doing more with white and splashing of colour, so this may be the first of a series working on that.

WitchTestGallery.jpg
    1000 x 884 - 85K
    edited February 2018

One more experiment before I head for bed. This time I decided to go fully B&W, adding back a little colour to the cat, eyes, and lips. I wanted to depict some sort of shadow magic - not sure how that worked out though.

BloodNoir01b_Gallery.jpg
    1000 x 1160 - 89K
  • I think those both turned out great, the color is excellent and the painted texture is really well done. The magic effect looks pretty good to me.

edited February 2018

Yet another Vue render I did a couple of years ago using DAZ characters (except layd in yellow dress). The buildings and town settings I modeled in Hexagon...

Cafe by the Sea

Mediterranean of my mind. A place where the seekers scheme future plans of success. Dreamers dwell on how things should be. Lovers loose track of time as they gaze dreamy like into the eyes of love interests. The loners experience solitude in a crowd damning their pride, remembering how they allowed romance to elude them.

Post edited by kenmo on
    edited February 2018

Stuff I modelled in Hexagon 3D for the scene....

philebus said:

Wow...I've been away a long time and there's a whole new thread for me to catch up on. The old computer finally gave up the ghost a while back and I kind of dropped out of things but I'm up and running again with a new machine - I've been saving for a couple of years to buy one and while it's far from the power houses that a lot of folk seem to be using, it's fairly zippy.

Anywho, I tried out something simple to break myself back in and I thought I would post before I start trying to catch up. As with the last images I was doing before the final BSOD, Poser 11, Affinity Photo with Topaz Simplify, then a mix of overpainting and lots of palette knife in ArtRage. I want to try doing more with white and splashing of colour, so this may be the first of a series working on that.

The ArtRage brush work reallys adds a dimension to this ilmage...

kenmo said:

Yet another Vue render I did a couple of years ago using DAZ characters (except layd in yellow dress). The buildings and town settings I modeled in Hexagon...

Cafe by the Sea

Mediterranean of my mind. A place where the seekers scheme future plans of success. Dreamers dwell on how things should be. Lovers loose track of time as they gaze dreamy like into the eyes of love interests. The loners experience solitude in a crowd damning their pride, remembering how they allowed romance to elude them.

Wow! I really love this one - I think it's the colours that make it stand out for me but it's a great composition that draws the eye to the couple seated together - all the more impressive for the work you've put into scene building in Hexagon first. Coming at the end of a long day (and it's been a very long day), it's the sort of picture that puts a smile back on my face.

head wax said:

Couple of different Carrara treatments on a Gladiator

All three of these are gorgeous! I'm really going to have to pick up Carrara again - it's been a long time (I don't think that I've used it since version 8 was released and too buggy to work well on my system - I did pick up 8.5 a while back and think I have some of the shaders you use but really have to get the updates).

head wax said:
    magicjava said:
    kenmo said:

What a fantastic topic this is...

I'm not a Blender user... However I do have it installed on my computer. I just stumbled upon this youtube video on how to use Blender to create line art for comic book backgrounds and thought I should share it...

What a cool link. Thanks kenmo

double that thanks!! :)

===================================================================

. This is the Helmeted Bird out of one of Bosch's works - The Garden of Earthly Delights.

He appears in my homage to another work by Bosch - Removing the Stone of Madness which will be soon hanging at Maitland Regional Art Gallery (NSW, Australia). 

Opens Feb 3rd 2018 and goes to April 29th. Of course I'd love it if you came to the show :) MRAG website is here.

http://mrag.org.au/exhibitions/coming-exhibitions/

you'll find him bottom right on the right panel of this triptych https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights

Carrara renders postworked

Stunning work - you really captured the uncomfortable strangeness of his figures with this one.

Artini said:

Some treasures... edited in Topaz Studio.

I really like these - the last one in particular stands out.

Artini said:

Hi tkdrobert.
    I have used the following filter presets in Topaz Studio:
    Mechanic Grime, Line and Ink III and Oil Painting II.
    I have also noticed, that the look after applying filters depends heavily
    on what was the input image and sometimes the same filter preset
    applied to different images does not look nicely all the time.
    It is very helpful, that Topaz Studio is displaying a mini images
    of different effects, before actually applying them.

I find this with most filters - it takes time to figure out how they behave but working with 3D to create material for them to work on we are at an advantage over photographers. Once we've got a handle on them, we can light and render what we want with a better idea of what the result with be. 

kenmo said:

The Prisoner {2016}

I did this a couple of years ago. Elephant was modeled in Sculptris, the dungeon modeled in Hexagon3D ver 2.5. Both models were textured in 3DCoat ver 3. The scene was then rendered in Vue Studio 8.5. The image was further detailed in ArtRage with some color correction in Photoshop.

My inspiration for this image was one of my favorite fantasy stories, Robert E. Howard's "Tower of the Elephant" in his Conan series... But I went for a more storybook type of feel then a horror/fantasy look....

I have so much to catch up on! This is easily my favourite, a figure with character and expression, in an image with real atmosphere. Wonderful! (and again, great work with building scene - literally)

edited March 2018

Another experiment after a friend was talking to me about needing a book cover about vampires.

BloodFigure01_Gallery_Crop.jpg
    1000 x 988 - 63K
    edited March 2018
    philebus said:

Another experiment after a friend was talking to me about needing a book cover about vampires.

Damn cool and so very imaginative...

edited March 2018

Evening Flight Over the City II  - A skycar of the distant future cruises the evening city skyline.

In the background an sky cargo ship leaves the city to delieve it's freight to an unknown location.

I modeled the car in Groboto3D and 3DCoat 4.8. The cargo ship in Hexagon3D & 3DCoat. Texturing in 3DCoat. Rendered in Poser Pro 11 using comic book option.

Postwork done in Photoshop 2018, Topaz Studio Impression, Filter Forge 7.0 and ArtRage 5 to give it a comic book illustrative look.

• StarlawStarlaw Posts: 71

Character work in progress for my first virtual comics StarLaw

edited March 2018

It's a bit random but I was just messing about for practice. I feel like I'm getting the hang of using Topaz Simplify instead of Cutout, though it does mean more work.

Monkey_Gallery.jpg
    1000 x 966 - 78K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    philebus said:

that's a winner!!

thanks @kenmo and @philebus for your kind words on my work - sorry have been busy in real world!

sorry I havent had a chance to do any rendering at all lately

here's an image of some work in a major regional gallery at the moment,

it's all NPR work, a homage show featuring the Dadaist Hugo Ball

not my photo though, I pinched it off the net (Photo Credit: Natalie Engdahl)

Image may contain: 2 people, indoor

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,788

Oso Toon shader was released today.

If someone got it, please post some images made with it.

I am still debating, if I should get it for NPR work.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,788

Thanks a lot, philebus.

• EurocoinEurocoin Posts: 299
    edited March 2018

This is "cover" art for the kind of webcomic I'm working on. The comic itself is made in realistic style, but I wanted this cover to be in higher resolution (this picture is scaled down version), than my computer is capable of, if done with realistic style.

sb_cover.png
    1000 x 1550 - 2M
    Post edited by Eurocoin on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Artini:

if you have any questions about what it can or can’t do, feel free to ask https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/232771/oso-toon-shader-for-iray-for-sale-commercial/

philebus said:

It's a bit random but I was just messing about for practice. I feel like I'm getting the hang of using Topaz Simplify instead of Cutout, though it does mean more work.

Damn nice results... :-)

This discussion has been closed.