Where are My Download Links

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

The product library was shut down to fix things with different DazStudio downloads:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22156/P225/#328656

It works now.

• RhyullRhyull Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

So since I don't want to use DIM and I'm not wanting to switch from Poser to an inferior 3D modeller, I get a load of hassle just to get the few things I still buy from Daz. It's obvious they are trying to alienate Poser users and they are succeeding big time.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2013

THere was a short lived problem is all, because the servers were having trouble coping with the amount of people who were trying to download the latest versions of both the DIM and DS 4.6

It is all sorted out now adn downloads are settling down. I have had no problems downloading todays purchases, and I download manually, not using the DIM.

I don't understand why you think this is something done to alienate we Poser users, as the problem with downloads was across the board, it was not specific for any particular files.

DAZ 3D was keeping people posted about the problem, and did apologise profusely. They also worked hard to get a fix in place to handle the demand.

I actually am finding that the new system is much quicker, as I can now download a zip file, unzip it to a temp folder and then just either drag and drop the runtime folder to whichever of my runtimes I want it in, or copy and paste if I want to customise locations.

This is much quicker than running an installer to a Temp folder and then moving the files.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • RhyullRhyull Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

Well not to get personal but I would assume a forum administrator with almost nine thousand posts would indeed be well informed about the activities of Daz and the web site. As an average purchaser from the shop who wants no more than a useful set of tools to locate, purchase, download and install so I can get to what I want to do in Poser, the picture is rather different.

The shop itself is well laid out, the search tool remains better than Rosity and the ability to pay is equally slick. So finding and buying are naturally aimed at making it easy to collect money, though there isn't much reason to visit for anything except location props these days. And from there it goes downhill fast.

The fact I had to search the forums to find out how to even locate downloadable items I had bought isn't exactly inspiring of confidence, considering I'm not even a new user and have been a PC member for over a year. Then having to decide which files I actually need and which are for daz, dson, mac, and I can leave untouched. Then making sure that the ones daz have zipped up don't get mixed up with zips I have from rosity, rotica, rdna, sharecg, powerage and content paradise because daz zips for pc/poser don't work with poser's add content system. Extract those and rezip so I can store them in my filing system, deal with the 200 different versions of daz exe file.

Well I'm not here for a discussion or answers anyway, simply to let daz know they are failing miserably to make me want to come at all unless I really need something I can't find anywhere else. I may be alone in this or I may be having frustrations identical to thousands of others who don't bother to write. Either way I'm done here until I HAVE to visit.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

DIM is intended to solve most of those problems. I'm sorry that isn't a solution for you.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2013

Also, as stated here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/20834_4/ the old .exe installers are being phased out. SO in future all downloads will be available in zip format once the process is complete.

Since this new system came into operation I have got into the habit of downloading the filles which are flagged DIM, although I download manually still at present. These can then be unzipped normally to my temp folder before placing where I want them.

I have always moved my downloads into categorised folders, so I have a folder for DAZ 3D downloads , One for Rendo Downloads, etc, moving the files onto the relevant folder once downloaded.

OK everyone has their own system, but this one has worked for me for the last 13 years or so, and continues to do so even now.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Consumer573Consumer573 Posts: 282
    edited May 2013

Rhyull said:
    So since I don't want to use DIM and I'm not wanting to switch from Poser to an inferior 3D modeller, I get a load of hassle just to get the few things I still buy from Daz. It's obvious they are trying to alienate Poser users and they are succeeding big time.

Daz has many good qualities, and I can see they are trying to advance the state of the art for 3D characters actively, so that is one of them. But this download system is not.

I'm going to be harsh here, a bit more than the user above because the fact that I had to search the forums to figure out how to download something is just... not... right.

Recent apologies?? They've been having problems with this download issue for months if not more than a year. It is broken. It is bad.

They've taken something that should be simple and made it complicated and unfriendly and almost unworkable.

Finding files to download is hard. Then if your available downloads have expired that's another hoop to get them reloaded. The process is Soooo bad that it was recommended in multiple places to get the Taosoft 3rd party software to do what Daz is not capable of doing.

Why couldn't you (Daz) model your system on one like Renderosity where the account information and orders are all on one page that scrolls to the bottom?? You click on the link to open the purchase and then the active link to download. The order is all summarized in one page. If you're (Daz)worried about someone doing too many downloads, just make the software quietly block it after X-number and then have the user need to apply to reactivate it. That's a much smaller number for most users than letting ALL the files deactivate over time and have each one to be manually reactivated.

And, yes I do feel there is a backhanded slap at poser users. Right now I have to unzip every zip file they've provided, and then go either one of two ways: take out the Daz folders at the top and re-zip it so that everything else goes into a Poser Runtime or I have to manually move each sub-folder to the correct runtime spot. If they could do a separate link for mac, in theory they could do one for poser users. But I feel could accept the daz-centric zip files if everything else was easy.

I'll back Daz when I feel they are right. But this download system, in my opinion, is a failure that should be scrapped NOW and taken back to the drawing board.

Just look at the number of users coming to view this thread. Something that should be routine and basically go unnoticed.

Post edited by Consumer573 on
    edited December 1969

Then if your available downloads have expired that's another hoop to get them reloaded.

Now you never need to reset, downloads never expire.

And, yes I do feel there is a backhanded slap at poser users. Right now I have to unzip every zip file they've provided, and then go either one of two ways: take out the Daz folders at the top and re-zip it so that everything else goes into a Poser Runtime or I have to manually move each sub-folder to the correct runtime spot. If they could do a separate link for mac, in theory they could do one for poser users. But I feel could accept the daz-centric zip files if everything else was easy.

I've noticed they've been separating out the DS and Poser versions as items get updated for DS4.5. If you use DIM you wouldn't have to worry about it. DS users have to do the same thing unless their content folder is named Content, which is not the DS4 default.

edited May 2013

Mike,

At this point I think that DIM is a fundamentally Kludged approach that doesn't really do what I need it to, which is download/archive Poser-friendly zip files to a directory of my choosing on my HD. It may do other management tasks, but I haven't asked for them.

Thanks for the info about the non-expiration. Have they fixed the problem with finding a link yet? It's easy when you don't have many products, but painful when you have many.

Edit 5/20:
    Yes they have improved it (the finding a link problem above). While Daz still seems to be focused on limiting the number of things you see on any page to less than 40 or 60 (those $%!@ increment buttons) they now give you the option to search by the name of the product which works, except the search button is called 'filter' for some reason. It would be nice if you could also search by order number too, to bring in everything with the order. But search by name is a big improvement. Apologies if this is buried earlier in the thread and I missed it. I've been buying things but haven't been downloading them for a while (when did they put that Eula page up? late March, early April?) until I felt things might be sorted out. It was THAT painful for me and I just got tired of spending more time trying to find than using. I still don't fully understand the Eula. And I don't understand how it can affect my previous purchases. But everything I bought since day zero was being held hostage by that page so its not like I had a choice. I guess that is going to be one of the problems of cloud computing; when you agree to something and then someone holds things for you and then changes the terms on what you've already paid for. The Eula should be before you click purchase. What happens to things I create under older Eulas? Do I get my money back if they retroactively ban them?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Then if your available downloads have expired that's another hoop to get them reloaded.

No longer a problem, thankfully — your entire purchase history is now on your Product Library page, and they never expire; just click an item, click the link and the download starts. The big problem with the new system is that it was tossed at us with no warning or explanation (calling the page "Product Library" didn't help), and it didn't work anyway on some people's systems. This at least is gradually being fixed.

I can't argue with a lot of the other stuff in your post, though, the current DAZ store is (still!) a bit of a mess, and the near-continuous sales (when they work and are clearly described) aren't helping. Ah well, fingers crossed and hope for the best...

edited May 2013

Thanks, Ms. Kitty.

As I sign off I'm thinking of the conclusion of season six of a web series called, "The Guild" written or started by a Felicia Day. That's where all the gamers launch attacks at the game developer, and the game developer gets upset, but the gamers really like the game otherwise they wouldn't be writing in with passion. This 3D stuff, these 3D stores. They're all relatively at the beginning.

I'm still not letting Daz off the hook for their download process, though.

• roberthutchinsonroberthutchinson Posts: 306
    edited December 1969

O.K., I decided to clean up my entire "studio" install. I moved everything out of my "My Daz 3d Library" and I uninstalled Studio and dumped the content manager. I reinstalled the latest Studio and used DIM to install all content. Now, does anyone know if DIM will install EVERYTHING that I have in my purchased product library? I hope that I do not have to re-download all 800 plus products and manually install.

edited December 1969

O.K., I decided to clean up my entire "studio" install. I moved everything out of my "My Daz 3d Library" and I uninstalled Studio and dumped the content manager. I reinstalled the latest Studio and used DIM to install all content. Now, does anyone know if DIM will install EVERYTHING that I have in my purchased product library? I hope that I do not have to re-download all 800 plus products and manually install.

There are still some things not yet in DIM, nearly all non-DS/Poser content, although Bryce, Carrara, Photoshop and Plugins have been coming through gradually. Currently I'm missing about 100 out of 3000.

• edited December 1969

Y'know, with all this discussion back and forth, I"m gonna ask once more — and I'm sure it will be ignored as before...

Why the hades can DAZ simply not issue plain ol' zip files? No DIM. No "legacy" that is at best confusing. No auto installers of any kind — including your DIM. Just plain, simple zips and nothing else. Why is that so freaking difficult for this company? What on earth are they so frightened of?

Yeah, users would have to learn how to move folders. BIg deal. Somehow, customers at Rosity and CP somehow magically grasp the concept. Hasnt been a problem. It's not that difficult, and at least you know where things are going. But all this freaking hand-holding is just plain silly.

You used to have a nice simple system, way back in the Dark Ages, I suppose. Buy something, and there was a runtime folder, sitting waiting for you. No need to separate out for PC or Mac because both used (shockingly!) exactly the same files. Now? Sweet Jesus...

C'mon, guys. Get your freaking act together and stop all the silly nonsense. We're all big boys and girls; we'll figure it out.

edited December 1969

Why the hades can DAZ simply not issue plain ol' zip files? No DIM. No "legacy" that is at best confusing. No auto installers of any kind — including your DIM. Just plain, simple zips and nothing else. Why is that so freaking difficult for this company? What on earth are they so frightened of?

Yeah, users would have to learn how to move folders. BIg deal. Somehow, customers at Rosity and CP somehow magically grasp the concept. Hasnt been a problem. It's not that difficult, and at least you know where things are going. But all this freaking hand-holding is just plain silly.

You used to have a nice simple system, way back in the Dark Ages, I suppose. Buy something, and there was a runtime folder, sitting waiting for you. No need to separate out for PC or Mac because both used (shockingly!) exactly the same files. Now? Sweet Jesus...

C'mon, guys. Get your freaking act together and stop all the silly nonsense. We're all big boys and girls; we'll figure it out.

(a) The versions tagged DIM are plain zip files, you can unzip them manually if you prefer.
    (b) Some people DON'T like zip files -- including some who've been doing this for a long time and know very well what the folder structure needs to be.
    (c) Remember when there used to be P4, PP, and P5 versions of mat files? There are still plenty of products from back then that still do, and I have to manually delete the P4 versions. There are two philosophies about that sort of thing:
    --1--combine everything in one zip, or
    --2--have separate zips for different software
    Either way, people will complain -- either they have to strip out the P4 version/DS version/Pose library version/Material library version/whatever, or they have to figure out which version to use.
    (d) The DIM versions work on both PC and Mac. One zip, same files.

• edited December 1969

Well, here's an idea: eliminate everything else... including the DIM installer itself. Wow. I mean, gosh, people might actually have to look inside and see how things are organized... Oh. My. God. That would be so difficult.

Yes, at one point in time you would open an RT and find files for P4, PP, and P5 — that was because when that was happening, Poser was in transition, and you had a lot of users in each category. Now, most products are built for P6 onwards and there's little issue about it. That argument is a non-starter, sorry.

As for the ones who dont "like" them, well, sorry, but tough. They're usually the same people who have runtimes that are 225 or 250 gigs because they've never learned how to find stuff so it can be taken out and archived — and then they complain that the program isnt working at maximum efficiency.

Heck, I used to hear "DAZ is never gonna get rid of installers, Sean, so just deal with it!" — and look. Installers being more or less phased out. You've taken the first baby steps — now let's see you learn to walk on your own just like Rosity and CP apparently can.

edited December 1969

Well, here's an idea: eliminate everything else... including the DIM installer itself. Wow. I mean, gosh, people might actually have to look inside and see how things are organized... Oh. My. God. That would be so difficult.

I'm sorry if you feel DAZ 3D is coddling people who prefer installers, but there are many who do, and as I said, not only people who don't know how a Runtime is structured.

Yes, at one point in time you would open an RT and find files for P4, PP, and P5 — that was because when that was happening, Poser was in transition, and you had a lot of users in each category. Now, most products are built for P6 onwards and there's little issue about it. That argument is a non-starter, sorry.

So you don't mind if there are DS files included in the zip that you don't need? Great, but there are some who do.

As for the ones who dont "like" them, well, sorry, but tough. They're usually the same people who have runtimes that are 225 or 250 gigs because they've never learned how to find stuff so it can be taken out and archived — and then they complain that the program isnt working at maximum efficiency.

There's no need to insult people. As I have said several times, there are many who know their way around Poser Runtimes quite well.

Heck, I used to hear "DAZ is never gonna get rid of installers, Sean, so just deal with it!" — and look. Installers being more or less phased out. You've taken the first baby steps — now let's see you learn to walk on your own just like Rosity and CP apparently can.

And DAZ 3D wouldn't be moving to zips without having provided an alternative for those who prefer installers. So you can thank the Install Manager for finally giving you zips.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Sean: you don't have to use DIM - just go to your account / Product Library and download the file labeled DIM.
    I hope your aversion against DIM isn't going to stop you from downloading a normal zip that just has that label.

As for being against DIM - why do you look down at others who want to use something that installs stuff for them?
    DazStudio / Poser are about rendering, not about installing.

As for files placement: as I am a DazStudio AND Poser user I like files put into one runtime as much as possible.
    If you have another way to work, fine for you. It doesn't mean your way is better, just different.

• IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
    edited December 1969

What the hell just happened to my manual download?! I just purchased Ubersurface 2 and m y only option is to use the DIM, which I am NOT doing because I want a backup of the binary.
    I am going through some serious personal problems right now and need it to distract myself and cheer myself up.
    We were PROMISED that manual downoload would not be phased out, what is going on here?>@!!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!~?!?!?!?!?!?!

edited December 1969

opal42987 said:
    What the hell just happened to my manual download?! I just purchased Ubersurface 2 and m y only option is to use the DIM, which I am NOT doing because I want a backup of the binary.
    I am going through some serious personal problems right now and need it to distract myself and cheer myself up.
    We were PROMISED that manual downoload would not be phased out, what is going on here?>@!!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!~?!?!?!?!?!?!

It has not been phased out -- see the blue buttons under "Manual"? Those are the manual downloads. And in DIM just uncheck "Delete Installer After Install" if you want to keep the zip.

edited June 2013

Then what, pray tell, is THIS? (hostility not directed at you)

No_manual_DL.jpg
    841 x 523 - 108K
    Post edited by IceEmpress on
    edited December 1969

And I don't want a zip, I want a binary with metadata.

edited December 1969

Please, PLEASE someone he;lp me, I can't take another minute oif this... I'm begging you for immediate help, I can't take this...

edited December 1969

As DAZ 3D announced 2 months ago, installers were being phased out starting May 15th: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/20834_4/

Check if there is another entry for that product -- a number of products had 2 different SKU's, so one of them was set to inactive. If it is a bundle, there will be links at the bottom of the page for the individual items.

edited December 1969

Is my screenshot not visible or something? Because what I posted is all that is there... Crap, is it not showing up...? That is my Ubersurface 2 download page. There was some other account page I went to that showed a "manual download" button, but it just takes me back to that page with no manual DL option.

edited December 1969

opal42987 said:
    Is my screenshot not visible or something? Because what I posted is all that is there... Crap, is it not showing up...? That is my Ubersurface 2 download page. There was some other account page I went to that showed a "manual download" button, but it just takes me back to that page with no manual DL option.

I don't have that product -- are you saying there's another page for it in your Product Library, but clicking the Manual Download button isn't working right? Does the Manual Download button work on other products?

edited December 1969

I just looked at Uberenvironment, and I'm seeing what you are. I'm reporting it to DAZ 3D now.

edited December 1969

No, looking at it, it's the "View Order: page.

Also, it turns out to be alarm for now. The binaries are in my Order Confirmation email. Really sorry about all the fuss :(
    I just hope DAZ doesn't phase out the email links as well...

edited June 2013

I just looked at Uberenvironment, and I’m seeing what you are. I’m reporting it to DAZ 3D now.

I had already reported the Ubersurface problem, but I came here since the forum response is exponentially more expedient.
    I think I saw the same thing on one of the Vic's Changing Ponytail & friends product library pages.

Thanks, everyone, for your help and extreme patience with me.

Post edited by IceEmpress on
  • estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

I'm getting this problem with failed download with curious tea

Screen_Shot_2013-06-23_at_3.16_.59_PM_.png
    1198 x 207 - 21K