It’s The End Of The World As We Know It, And I Feel Fine!

Comments

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Tomorrow (Friday) is the last day of Cub Scout day camp. Before going to bed, the 7-yr old came in for a consultation. Seems like he's having problems with the BB gun. Monday night I very briefly went over sighting with him. He's upset that he can't get a bullseye. So, like any good grandma, I went for my .44 magnum. First, check to be sure it's not loaded. Then I showed him how to sight and told him how to make adjustments in his aim. I also told him to ask the RO or instructor to check out whichever gun he's using. Hopefully, when I get out there tomorrow at 3 for the big finale, he will have had some success. He's discovered archery too and really loves it. His mom cried last night because he didn't catch a fish. The last fishing activity was cancelled due to a storm approaching just as they got to the water.

Guess I'll be busy for the next 3 weeks. I told him I would take him to the indoor archery range near us, picnic and fishing at one of the area lakes, and now I'll get him a BB gun and we'll find a place to shoot it. His step-father's parents have a farm 45 minutes from here and we may have to go out there. That's easier than my setting up a range in the attic.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Good idea. Shooting bunnies at the farm is far more fun anyway!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

aya, and much better way of teaching actual usage than target shooting.

I am a great fan of teaching children young, especially when it come to things like gund ans bows and arrows, which are protentially dangerous.Good disipline installed early is a very good thing.

My boys were allowed to handle shotguns from their early teens. (under license of course)

One of my cousins was doiing archery at an age when a lot of children were running around playing Cowboys and Indians with toy bows, or even home made ones. More accidents with badly handled toys than with the actual weapon, handled well after training imho

edited December 1969

I don't know if there are any bunnies at the farm, but there are deer and wild pigs. When my oldest got his BB gun, I would take him out to the dump and he would shoot at laundry detergent boxes. Tide or Oxydol, whichever one it was that had like a target on the front of the box. My daughter has always refused to have anything to do with guns. I raised my boys by myself and they both grew up shooting. My sister, brother, and I were raised on shooting ranges. My father was a shooter (US Pistol Champion 1952) and in the Border Patrol, so it was a natural for us.

I agree that proper instruction is a must. Hunter safety has always been a big problem and still is.

edited June 2012

Here in the UK they have got stupidly restrictive with guns. Paranoia sets in when you mention guns. THe stupid people just cannot see that the more that normal people are restricted from owning and using guns, the more gun crime is occurring, and often with more serious results than there ever were. I am convinced that it is connected.

OK gun ownership has always been more restrictive over here, than is is over there,and it was not easy to get a gun license, but now it has got to a level that has simply driven the gun dealers underground, and only criminals have access to guns, in the main.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

That's why gun control is always a hot topic over here. Owning a gun and owning a car are very similar. Both will kill. The owners need to know how to use and maintain both. We have a problem with unlicensed drivers too. I don't want to be on the road with a driver who doesn't know which side of the road to be on or what a red light is for. I also don't want a governor who goes jogging with a pistol stuck in the waistband of his running shorts. Disasters waiting to happen.

My parents knew we would be exposed to guns in the house so they made sure we knew how to use them. We knew the difference between the real ones and our toy guns. My parental grandparents were farmers. Ammunition was scarce so there was no random shooting. Guns were used for hunting and protection.

I don't mind requirements for safety, but even over here legislators have gone overboard. If only criminals and/or radicals have guns, how will citizens fight back? I'm all out of sabots.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

Ack, I have Schubert's Waltz in B minor stuck in my head! Get it out, I'm gonna go nuts! Oh wait, I'm already nuts. As you were. :P

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, click the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq5WVpo2dXc

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Knives are under similarly tightly controled laws, which is fine really, but when you live in Manchester and you're the only one in the pub WITHOUT one, you do feel uneasy!

Weird thing is, two weeks ago there was a gun murder in the pub I used to go to when I lived there! Someone brought a knife to a gunfight?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

Thank god I'm a southern boy. The only real laws we have are on pistols. If your a good person you can pretty much get anything you desire. No laws on rifles except high end milatary type ones. No laws on knifes except blade length on folding knifes, opps not true, switch blades are a no no. I own three pistols and two rifles, I collect knifes of all sorts. I have a drivers license and Insurance on my vehicles, some fool's around here have neather.

My fav is my 44 Mag 5 shot chrome revolver that is just like Dirty Harry's from the movies. And yes it will put a hole in a cars engine block just like they claim it will. As a manager that handled large amounts of cash I have a permit to carry a concealed fire arm. I keep it up to date.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited June 2012

My shotgun license actually helped me in court one day. They came round asking why I owned a TV but didn't have a TV license, so I took the guy into the sitting room and showed him the TV coupled up to the computer (ZX Spectrum), said we never watched TV, and look no arial on the TV. So he said yes but you have teenage boys, so they could connect the TV arial when you are not there. So I tokk him upstaris, showed him the Gun cupboard, then removed my keyring from my pocket, opened the shortgun cupboard and showed him the TV arial neatly coiled up and secured insde a 2nd cupboard inside the Gun cupboard, which was the black powder store. I told him that our gun cupboard had been inspected and deemed safe by the Police before we got the shot gun certificates and the BLack powder license, which is even harder to get. I also tole him there were onlly 2 keys to the gun cupboard, I had one, and my husband had the other, and as they were on the same key ring as my house keys and car keys, they were always with us.

THe guy still decided I should be summoned for no license. So I told the story in court. THe Magistrate asked the guy if I had indeed shown him, and he had to admit I had. The Magistrates then ordered a reccess.

When they came back they said, not guilty, and Further more I had managed to set a precendent, by proving that the new fangled home computers needed a TV set to work, and so it was quite possible for people who owned a TV set to not be watching TV.

edited December 1969

A license for a TV? Man, I thought the US was getting tough, I will not say much now.

I'm in all busted up mode today, I really should be in bed but I have the clinic in the morning so I can not let myself mess up my sleep cycle today. The med's are not enough to handle the pain, and I'm on a double dose. I'm just gonna troll the forums and watch TV shows I guess. Sitting still for too long is a no go, it's going to be one long day. Hope everyone is doing better than I am.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited December 1969

On top of my back pain and a migraine. I can feel for you.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I could never do what you do Frank. I have to have days in bed from time to time. How do you manage to be in front of a PC almost all day every day?
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

we had TV licenses when I was a kid but it was discontinued in my early childhood (I am 50 so fair while ago) too much work to inspect for the revenue raised I believe.
    Dogs are licensed, I know people fined when their dogs were seen by an inspector in their yard without collars and they were unable to produce the tag and registration on request as they were not registered.
    but you can see or hear a dog without having to enter and inspect a house, basically what happens inside your walls is private, police can enter to find drugs and firearms etc, people have been fined for the odd Maryjane plant when police called over other matters.
    I will not let anyone other than police look through my house!
    (and they only did when I called them after being robbed)

edited December 1969

Another new day. Just got home from the clinic, it has not been long enough to know if it will be a good day or not. Just checking the threads. See you guys later if I can.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Frank0314 said:
    I could never do what you do Frank. I have to have days in bed from time to time. How do you manage to be in front of a PC almost all day every day?

Since I'm disabled doing content is my only form of income so I just have to suck it up and do what I have to do. The pain is sometimes tolerable and sometime tear worthy. I just get up and move around and come back to what I was doing. I'm pretty use to it now so it's not all that bad. I have a TENS unit that is my best friend while I'm on the computer. I use it quite often and it helps keep the swelling down so my legs don't start going numb.

edited December 1969

I know what that is, I had to use one after I pulled both my dorsal muscles. I also know all about getting up and moving around, I have trouble sitting for long periods of time myself. A short break will do wonders sometimes. I have to endure at the clinic, it's four hours of move as little as possible. That gets to be more than I can handle sometimes, we can not take our meds before we go because the treatment would just remove most of the medicine.

edited December 1969

Having that done so many times a week I wonder how any medications would work. I wouldn't be able to sit somewhere for 4 hours. It would drive me nuts on top of hurting.

edited December 1969

My tech's, that's what they are called at the clinic, get a nice workout while I'm there. Our chairs are those lay almost flat type of recliners. I have to be sat up and then laid back out just about every hour. And yes I'm that gone, I can't make a recliner close back up without a handle. And these darn chairs do not have one. As for the med's it's the filtering that takes out the bad stuff in my blood that would get the med's also. They work just fine if I'm not on the machine. Speaking of med's I think I need to take another dose. The treatment days throw my schedule all off.

P.S. Holding a Fish Sandwich back for Frank!

edited December 1969

Your only about 12 hrs from me. Could make a day trip out of it. We go through your neck of the woods on our way to Texas to visit the in-laws.

edited December 1969

ROFL! That's one heck of a trip for a sandwich Frank. You must have more trust in my cooking than I thought!

edited December 1969

chohole said:

When they came back they said, not guilty, and Further more I had managed to set a precendent, by proving that the new fangled home computers needed a TV set to work, and so it was quite possible for people who owned a TV set to not be watching TV.

I always like it when the innocent are vindicated. Good for you!

edited December 1969

Where is everybody? Sheesh, did I miss the rapture? I'm annoyed that they haven't fixed the sorting yet. I mean c'mon, what kind of brainless idiots are they hiring if they can't find a simple tickbox that says 'Sort topics according to last post date'. Bloody fools. I should have them flogged. :cheese:

So how is everyone doing?

P.S. - I'm sorry to read about your pain and discomfort Frank and Jeff. If it's any consolation I can and do emphasize as I have my own fair share of that. I'm actually fighting a painkiller addiction because it became a habbit to just swallow something for pain. I'm up to 4500mg Aspirin and 3200mg Paracetamol per day. My kidneys hate me. Lol.

edited June 2012

. I mean c'mon, what kind of brainless idiots are they hiring if they can't find a simple tickbox that says 'Sort topics according to last post date'.

Simple answer to that is they are the sort of "brainless idiots" that feel it is better to spend their time getting the Store and all it's various bits and pieces fixed, before they move on the the Forums.

Hey come on now, give the guys a break. They are working as hard as they can.

And as I pointd out to aomeone else earlier today, if you think this move to new software was bad, think what it would have been like if you had got caught up in this Fiasco.http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16252281

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2164233/NatWest-RBS-banking-problems-No-deadline-fix-chaos-stretches-sixth-day.html
    edited December 1969

I get that they are focusing on the store. But we're talking about a check box that would take less that 10 seconds to click on to enable sorting. Unless of course they went and bought themselves a forum package that does not come out of the box with such simple functionality. In which case they should ask for their money back.

But have no fear. Even though I am genuinely annoyed by the overall slow pace at which things are happening my griping is not meant in a bad way. I call everyone else I know brainless idiots. I'm just that smart. Hehe. :cheese:

edited December 1969

Harry, if it was as simple as just finding a tick box or switch, then it would have been done by now. After all someone managed to turn the forums back to front, so at least new threads are at the front now, and that was done without any help from the web guys. :coolsmirk:

Finding out how to sort, so posts bump threads is proving more elusive. For a start what do you call it, this little tick box you are convinced is there. You need to get into the brain set of whoever coded this software, and work out what he called this process.

edited December 1969

I just watched that Sky news report. Now there's something that could cause widespread panic and cause people to resort to mattress banking. Ouch. However, as third world as we might appear to the rest of the globe we are quite used to banks being open on a Sunday as one of the major banks here in South Africa is open every Sunday for business from 8 to 1. I actually have accounts with 3 banks just in case. Lol.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Harry, if it was as simple as just finding a tick box or switch, then it would have been done by now. After all someone managed to turn the forums back to front, so at least new threads are at the front now, and that was done without any help from the web guys. :coolsmirk:

Finding out how to sort, so posts bump threads is proving more elusive. For a start what do you call it, this little tick box you are convinced is there. You need to get into the brain set of whoever coded this software, and work out what he called this process.

Don't they have Google? Okay, that was sarcasm. Lol.

But if they're really stuck just tell us what software it is and we'll hunt down that check box for them. Hah, we can make a competition of it! Find the elusive check box and win a free copy of DAZ Studio Pro! :cheese:

edited December 1969

I need help fast before I screw up something else. I noticed Darkside wasn't one of my choices for style, so I reinstalled it. All of My Library is gone except for the basics which came with Studio 4. I uninstalled Darkside, but still don't have My Library back. What can I do now?

edited June 2012

chohole said:

Don't they have Google? Okay, that was sarcasm. Lol.

But if they're really stuck just tell us what software it is and we'll hunt down that check box for them. Hah, we can make a competition of it! Find the elusive check box and win a free copy of DAZ Studio Pro! :cheese:

Well I don't know about a free copy of DS4 pro, that could be a ittle rich as a prize, I mean it's a pricelss item, isn't it.

The site is built using Magento, and expression engine.If that's any help, and yes they have found a lot of Plug-ins that will add functionality to the forums. Seems a lot of things are only available as plug-ins. The basic forum software is very...wel umm...errr.....basic.

This discussion has been closed.