28th Bryce Render Challenge ~#~ By Candle Light~#~

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited February 2018 in Bryce Discussion
  • 28th Daz3D Bryce Render challenge

•  

• Now Sponsored by Daz 3D

•  

•  Theme for this challenge is ~~"By CandleLight"~~

So many ways it can be done.  A Romantic candlelit Dinner for 2,  Candles because there has been a power outage, or maybe hiding from a tornado in the cellar, maybe a historical render when candle were the lights of the day, maybe just chilling on the patio on a warm Summer evening.

The Choice is yours
                                                                                                        Your imagination is the only limit

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before the render is transferred to the actual Contest thread for judging. You don't have to do that.we collect up all the finished ones and make the thread, with each render given a number and title, but no artist name shown, so it's a blind judging thread for the judging panel.

Rules

• 

All renders must be new renders.
  • 

You can enter up to 3 renders.
  • 

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS
  • 

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.
  • 

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.
  • 

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme and the person who has selected it.
  •  

Please don't post your entry renders anywhere else until after the Challenge is judged, as judging is done in a blind judging thread, so the Judges don't know who has done which image.

Challenge ends March 31st 2018:- Midnight DAZ 3D time

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist place $30     2nd place $20     3rd place $15

In addition DAZ 3D Store Credit will be given to the people whose renders are selected as the Honourable mentions,
$10 for each of 3 honorable mentions

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User. DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by a poll which will be set up at closure of the challenge.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• ApocApoc Posts: 407

Nice, a theme that speaks to my speciality. ( Lights )

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,985

Nice theme, looking forward to the entries.

• Ist a really wonderfull Theme.

Here ist my first Try:

Loveletter

Loveletter .jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596

Thats a good start drachenlords

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,107

drachenlords - beautiful.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791

You old romantic you, Drachenlords...and on the 14 Feb, too wink super lighting.

Jay

edited February 2018

Drachenlords - awesome, beautiful entry

My 1st entry

Lighting the World

lighting the world2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 234K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,095

drachenlords :  excellent render.

mermaid010 : cool idea, nicely done.

mermaid - cool idea, indeed. Well done.

edited February 2018

Very nice idea, Mermaid.

I wonder how a semi-transparent world would look like with the candle/candlelight (time for a radial) right in the centre? There appeared an 'Earth at Night' image on APOD some years back (click on image for larger view), and it could easily be converted to a material that could then be made semi-transparent). A lot of Brycing involved, which, I've forgotten about (I'm too lazy to look into crying }.

Lights are a bloody nuisance for those observers of astro objects, and it is quite difficult now to find some really dark sites for such around the world (my farmer friend/neighbour recently installed one of those high-bright, halogen lights that points everywhere - I curse him, privately, every night I want to take out the scope). It's a bit like those neighbours who let their dogs out all night barking, and have no idea on how annoying it can be for someone trying to get to sleep. Rant, over...hehhe... devil

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Thanks for the nice comments.

@Mermaid: An unusual but really great idea and very nicely done.

Jamahoney - nice picture you refer to. Looks like a spherical projection that could be mapped on a sphere. For the rest, we call it here light pollution (Lichtverschmutzung).

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2018
    Jamahoney said:

Very nice idea, Mermaid.

I wonder how a semi-transparent world would look like with the candle/candlelight (time for a radial) right in the centre? There appeared an 'Earth at Night' image on APOD some years back (click on image for larger view), and it could easily be converted to a material that could then be made semi-transparent). A lot of Brycing involved, which, I've forgotten about (I'm too lazy to look into crying }.

Lights are a bloody nuisance for those observers of astro objects, and it is quite difficult now to find some really dark sites for such around the world (my farmer friend/neighbour recently installed one of those high-bright, halogen lights that points everywhere - I curse him, privately, every night I want to take out the scope). It's a bit like those neighbours who let their dogs out all night barking, and have no idea on how annoying it can be for someone trying to get to sleep. Rant, over...hehhe... devil

Jay

I am lucky,  I live in the southern foothills of the Brecon Becons.  The Brecon Beacons have been granted "Dark Sky" status    There are street lights in the Village, but not too many. The highest point is the village is approaching 1200 ft.  From my garden I look North, and the next road up in the village is higher than ours. My garden is 4-8 foot above the patio. So the street lights in the other street don't show, so I have the best ever view of the night sky that I have ever had from all the other places I have lived. Have watched meteor showers in the back garden, and even once seen the northern lights by driving just a short way up to the top end of the village

http://www.breconbeacons.org/darkskyambassadors?lan=en

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited February 2018

Horo, Yes, 'light pollution'...we've, in some-a-ways...forgotten about how invaluable a clear night sky is.

Chohole...You're so lucky, privileged...I've seen a great view of our central galaxy one time, but current location, in Co Cork Ireland @ 51.59N, 8.45W is a challenge for those illusive northern lights (time to travel, I guess - if only I can afford it).                                                                                                                                                                 

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,754

Oh, just like always, I have not clue, what to do whith this theme.... But, I'll think of something (I hope). Anyway, great theme.

And a very good start by Drachenlords and Mermaid! Great lighting by D and wonderful idea by M. And both very interesting renders. 

• Thank you, Hansmar.

Here my second entry:

A noise in the night

A noise in the night.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,131

Two splendid entries, drachenlords! I especially like the second - just enough light to see what's happening but still very atmospheric.

And the semi-transparent world is a great idea, mermaid010, and nicely done too.

Drachenlords: Fantastic remder. Great horror story.

drachenlords - another cool idea and excellent render.

• Thanks for the comments, MelanieL, Hansmar and Horo.

And here is my last entry:

Lost in Meditation

Lost in Meditation .jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
  • S RayS Ray Posts: 398

#1: Candle in the Window

Candle in the Window2.jpg
    1200 x 775 - 416K
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,095

drachenlords : "A noise in the night" and "Lost in Meditation" : both original ideas and excellent renders.

SRay : Very beautiful image !

drachenlords - Lost in Meditation is very beautiful.

S Ray - Candle in the Windows has a very strong mood, excellent render.

Drachenlords…The melted candle wax is so cool

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,131

drachenlords - another super one! I love the wax too, and the smoke looks really good - Bryce or postwork?

S Ray - nice lighting - just enough but not too much.

• Thanks for the nice comments.

@S Ray: Very nice light. Very moody.

@ MelanieL: The smoke is made in Bryce. A smoke picture with an alpha mask on a 2 D Plane.

The candles with the melted wax are a freebie from the net.

edited February 2018

drachenlords: Wow, what a great scene and render. Fantastic candles and great smoke indeed. Looks like another winner to me!

S Ray: There is an old (1976 or thereabouts) Dutch romantic lovesong (that's double, isn't it?) "Zet een kaars bij je raam vannacht." meaning: "Put a candle at your window tonight." (you can find it on Youtube). This could have been the cover for a single of that song. She looks with longing out of the window. Wonderful atmosphere indeed. I do, however, think her skin looks extremely grainy. 

Post edited by Hansmar on
  • Thank you, Hansmar.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Drachenlords - your 2nd and 3rd entries are outstanding, stunning work.

Hansmar:  Interesting, I've wondered where the custom originated. Yes I agree a little to much bump on the skin.