Imbolc Decorations (Available Now)

MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
edited February 2018 in Freebies

In the main freebies thread, @kimh was looking for a Brigid's Cross anda corn dolly for Imbolc decorations (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3281861/#Comment_3281861) and I thought I'd take a pass at them. Then I went a little nuts and made a whole Imbolc altar. wink

EDIT: This prop set is now available! Download from Sharecg: https://www.sharecg.com/v/90580/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Imbolc-Decorations-for-DAZ-Studio

Some WIP images:

Brigid's Cross

Here's the corn dolly rendered in Iray:

Here's an low-sample (untextured) render of all the pieces that will be included:

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

Comments

• Interesting, looks Wiccan. Nice models

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited February 2018

I had a little time to work on this last night. Everything is loaded and saved in DAZ Studio with basic Iray materials.

I need to fix a couple things still:

• the SSS is way too strong on the candles and the wrong color on the small green and white ones
    • the glazed flower pots are a little more reflective than I want
    • the big candle holders are not supposed to be completely metallic, but I forgot to add the metal map before doing my test render
    • the translucency on the flowers is changing the colors too much - the small center parts are supposed to be more orange, so I need to play with that some more
    • the green edging on the altar cloth is weirdly not showing up in Iray renders - only in the prerendered scene and in 3DL, so I need to figure that out

Once those are done I will create the 3DL materials, render nicer looking thumbnails than the defaults and package it all up. So it looks like I am on track for releasing this in a few days. laugh

Test render of the full altar preset that will be included:

Screenshot in DAZ Studio showing the default thumbnails and all the separate pieces included:

The included UV templates are set up (mostly, except for the flower and the round cloth) so the textures can be easily changed and should work OK with tiling and procedural materials:

Test Scene Render.jpg
    1500 x 750 - 184K
    ImbolcAltarScreenshot.JPG
    1819 x 978 - 231K
    UVMapsPreview.JPG
    1665 x 642 - 148K
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Wow I just love this set and can't wait till it is available for download!!!

edited February 2018

This prop set is now available! Download from Sharecg here: https://www.sharecg.com/v/90580/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Imbolc-Decorations-for-DAZ-Studio

• Free for personal or commercial renders
    • Includes multiple pieces that can be loaded separately or all at once using the Imbolc Altar load preset
    • Includes basic Iray and 3Delight materials (I'm not great at setting up materials in DAZ Studio since I don't usually render in it, so these may need some tweaking on the user's part - in particular I could not remember how to get the candle flames to glow in 3DL, but they should be a pretty good starting point)
    • Includes UV templates for all the pieces and most of them have mulitple surfaces so you can replace textures with your own easily

If you use any of the pieces in a render and post it somewhere, please let me know (or repost it here) I'd love to see. laugh

Imbolc Decorations Included Files.jpg
    1638 x 1374 - 463K
    Imbolc DecorationsMain Promo.jpg
    1500 x 800 - 193K
  • frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Thank you smiley

• kimhkimh Posts: 386
    MDO2010 said:

In the main freebies thread, @kimh was looking for a Brigid's Cross anda corn dolly for Imbolc decorations (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3281861/#Comment_3281861) and I thought I'd take a pass at them. Then I went a little nuts and made a whole Imbolc altar. wink

EDIT: This prop set is now available! Download from Sharecg: https://www.sharecg.com/v/90580/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Imbolc-Decorations-for-DAZ-Studio

Some WIP images:

Brigid's Cross

Here's the corn dolly rendered in Iray:

Here's an low-sample (untextured) render of all the pieces that will be included:

These are wonnderful. Thank you so much  for your hard work. I look forward to being able to work with them. I had to re-image my PC which has been a pain having to reinstall all my Daz stuff through DIM. I just saw your update. I really do appreciate your talents and your generosity smiley

edited February 2018

Thanks. I'm glad you're happy with it. smiley

I do wish now that I'd just stuck to the two pieces you were looking for though. I spent about 25 hours on this thinking that a bigger set with more pieces would appeal to more people and that doesn't seem to be the case. 70+ downloads and only one person liked it enough to leave a rating, I think overall I am going to chalk this one up as a failure and in the future stick to just 1-2 simple things for my freebies.

Making the Brigid's Cross was fun though and I learned some things trying to make the corn dolly.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Thank you so much for sharing this with us all and I for onr look forward to using this.

I also rated it as well laugh also liked it and tweeted it!!

• kimhkimh Posts: 386

I did miss rating it...which I have corrected :-) Because it really is a plus plus for me. And I also shared it. I truly am glad you enjoyed making them and learned a bunch too