February 2018 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Lighting

Comments

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 833
    edited December 2018

So here is final before I do any post work-- hopefully with some help with the wording.  ; )

I thank the group, and our CVs for helping me.  Most of all though, the individual who made the final decision to allow me to use a fictional title for the book and part of a sign about books.  

The way I see it, she can do three things.  Use the book and maybe talk to him like civilized people.  She can use the book as a shield to ward off his attack.  As satisfying as it might be, she shouldn’t bonk him on the head with it!   Books should be for a different purpose according to one man at least.

“...books are weapons.  And it is part of your dedication always to make them weapons for men’s freedom.” --FDR, in Publisher’s Weekly, 9 May 1942

----
    Bruce...  So serious!

OK, so Knock Knock... Who’s there?   Daz...  Daz Who?  Dazzling Renders here!

Booo!  OK, so speedy exit again and Happy Valentines!

Thanks for reading!

---
    Edit: weeding out old imgur files.  PM missing links.

Post edited by Tynkere on
  • NoswenNoswen Posts: 358
    edited February 2018

That cube is actually made up of 6 sets of 25 squares, with some of them 'dimmed' to lower opacity.

After doing my more abstract one (and discovering how to group objects thankfully!) I got inspired by the mirrors in it and made a not so abstract render as well: -

Mirror Room

Mirror Room 2.jpg
    618 x 1000 - 79K
    Post edited by Noswen on
  • sueyasueya Posts: 826

@ Sueya

Cool.  Your join date has me a little shy though.  You’ve probably seen people come & go here.  I’d be a big joke pointing out stuff or making suggestions right?  I have a couple of thoughts, but I’ve only been here since October of last year.  Not going to play “Mr. Expert” or anything unless you give go ahead.  Hope that makes sense.   It’s a sign of respect

@Tynkere please let me know what you think of my image

• HighElfHighElf Posts: 326
    Tynkere said:

@ Daybird, Kismet, and High Elf

Thanks!  I don’t trust google, so here is what I’d like bottom of movie poster to say.

“Out of the Shadows”  (as in emerging from)  I get mixed up with dem, den, and possibly von.  “out of the”

“a Film by”

Next is tricky because the concept itself might not translate.

“A human being.”  or maybe “Humanity.”  Difficult concept.  We’re all human of course, but do we act like humans, or like savages?  Maybe the opposite of a savage, a civilized person.  

Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut.  Keine Practice!

Depends on your Goal.

"Aus dem Schatten" translates to "Out of the Shadow", while "Aus den Schatten" translates to "Out of the Shadows". More meaningful could be "In den Schatten" which translates to "Inside the Shadows" or "In the Shadows".

"A human Being" could be translated as "Mensch sein" when you wanna keep the deeper meaning. But it is more like "Being human". A more direct translation would be "Ein Mensch". But latter would never be a book title.

• So I sketch...but when I don't... I play with Daz.  Forget about it at times and then can't get enough of it and have not the faintest idea what I am doing.  It is often fun because you "all" do.  thanks

Iray makes me want to learn more.  My next begining to light is a falconer witch. 

dragon.jpg
    995 x 881 - 419K
  • Here we are with version e of the campfire. Made some changes to the ground texture, and hid the cyber eyes(that's what was glowing in the last version.) my first character had.

feb2018e.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    HighElf said:
    Tynkere said:

@ Daybird, Kismet, and High Elf

Thanks!  I don’t trust google, so here is what I’d like bottom of movie poster to say.

“Out of the Shadows”  (as in emerging from)  I get mixed up with dem, den, and possibly von.  “out of the”

“a Film by”

Next is tricky because the concept itself might not translate.

“A human being.”  or maybe “Humanity.”  Difficult concept.  We’re all human of course, but do we act like humans, or like savages?  Maybe the opposite of a savage, a civilized person.  

Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut.  Keine Practice!

Depends on your Goal.

"Aus dem Schatten" translates to "Out of the Shadow", while "Aus den Schatten" translates to "Out of the Shadows". More meaningful could be "In den Schatten" which translates to "Inside the Shadows" or "In the Shadows".

"A human Being" could be translated as "Mensch sein" when you wanna keep the deeper meaning. But it is more like "Being human". A more direct translation would be "Ein Mensch". But latter would never be a book title.

@Tynkere the title I would actually translate to "Aus dem Schatten" even though the englisch version makes plural of shadow in this case the way to get the same message you would use the singular in German.

The next part is mainly difficult because it needs to go together with "ein Film von" so the translations by HighElf are what you get when you use "a human being" or human kind are correct but the connection with "ein Film von" doesn't work, as that would use "ein Film der Menschheit" which reads more like a subtitle that the reference. Similar more e subtitle would be "ein Film von der Menschlichkeit"

So my suggestion would be "ein Film von Humanitas"  Humanitas is a word we stole from the romans which would translate to humanity or humanness.

edited February 2018

@ Linwelly and High Elf

I’m wondering if High Elf’s suggestion might more accurate, and also good insight.

(I’m reading a book about the first half of 20th century Europe, so of course the author covers Weimar Republic and the arts.  Watched movies by Lang, Murnau and other Expressionists.)

Since “a film by” seemed problematic, I went back to another movie by Lang: “Dr. Mabuse” .

Would the following tribute make sense, or sound foolish?  ; )

“In den Schatten:
    Ein Bild unserer Zeit”

“In (under a) shadow: a picture of our times.”

Or...  For a movie poster, people would be more likely to see...

“Aus dem Schatten,
    ein Film von
    Humanitas”

Thanks-- both of you-- for helping out.

@ Daybird

What are your thoughts?  The more opinions I get the better!

thanks

--Bruce

@Noswen

Hmmm... If the challenge is about light, cubes might be a stronger entry?

“Mirror Room” might need some leading lines for perspective?  A mirror on her left and right?  Just some random thoughts.

@ Gallows

If I had to choose, Falconer Witch might be the one to go with.  Are you familiar with putting a light in behind her?  It can help highlight the edges of her hair and maybe the shoulder.  Just my opinion, but sometimes think highlights get overlooked.

@ Shinji

Why did you take the goggles off him!  Your choice obviously.  

I kind of like it though.  It looks like he is so caught up in telling a campfire story, he is almost re-living it and has kind of forgotten about the other guy who is enjoying the fire and the story.  For what it’s worth.  : )

@ Sueya

Thanks.  Like I say, join dates might mean more than # of posts or silly titles like some boards.  

Please don’t move Josie or tweak her head any!  Something about it, I can’t put my finger on.  Charming?  Whimsical?  Don’t know.  Eye keeps getting drawn back to her.

I’m taking bets on the first person to tell you what you already know, and probably don’t care at this point in the project.  “Oh!  Her hand needs to come down!”

Fairly certain you know that.  : )

What’s cool about this render isn't just the lighting, and the obvious-- nice silotte on the wall, but all the other shadows & highlights. 

Example:

Round curve of table matches perfectly with round edge of shadow beneath it.  Follow the curve and it matches perfectly with back curve of table near the chair next to plant.  Follow it a little more and it connects with curved shadow of table from the other light!  That’s three different things that have connected to ‘draw’ an almost complete half circle. yes 

Lots of eye candy in there for those of us who enjoy looking at such things!

One suggestion because I’m a minimalist.  

Now that you don’t need the chair she was sitting in before, why not hide it and see what kind of highlight you get on Josie’s  shoes & leggings?   Test render and if it looks good to you, delete the chair.  If hiding the chair messes something else up, you can always make it visible again.

Thanks for allowing me to comment!  laugh

That’s a three month rookie giving a forum veteran sage opinions & “advice” -- Ha!    Go ahead and laugh.  I don’t mind.  smiley

Thanks for reading

--Bruce

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    edited February 2018
    Tynkere said:

@ Linwelly and High Elf

I’m wondering if High Elf’s suggestion might more accurate, and also good insight.

(I’m reading a book about the first half of 20th century Europe, so of course the author covers Weimar Republic and the arts.  Watched movies by Lang, Murnau and other Expressionists.)

Since “a film by” seemed problematic, I went back to another movie by Lang: “Dr. Mabuse” .

“In den Schatten:
    Ein Bild unserer Zeit”

Or...  For a movie poster, people would be more likely to see...

“Aus dem Schatten,
    ein Film von
    Humanitas”

Thanks-- both of you-- for helping out.

@ Daybird

What are your thoughts?  The more opinions I get the better!

thanks

--Bruce

To be honest, I was lousy in german. cheeky

The translation is always something special and depends much on the interpretation of the translater. I would use the words in a different way, but I think in that way you loose some of the wordplay.cool

Die Schatten unserer Zeit...Ein Film über unsere Gesellschaft/ Menschlichkeit... but to be honest, in this context it sounds more like a doku.blush

Or... Die Menschlichkeit im Schatten unserer Zeit... but then you lost  ...Ein Film... frown

Post edited by daybird on
    Tynkere said:
    snip

“In den Schatten:
    Ein Bild unserer Zeit”

snip

This I would translate as "Unterm Schatten - Ein Bild unserer Zeit"

Its a bit more dramatic ;)

But daybird is right, there is a lot of interpretation in translations and the difficulty is often to fin the right ring of it. I once wanted to by a copy of Pride and Prejudice for my mother translated to German, and I had been reading the original not long ago, so I still remembered some passages pretty good.  I spend an hour on comparing three different translations to find the one that comes closest, and when one passage was better in that another was better in this... I decided for the least bad in the end.

@ Daybird Linwelly and High Elf

OK,

"Unterm Schatten - Ein Bild unserer Zeit"

Accurate, maybe dramatic, and it will probably fit better at the bottom.

Thanks, all three of you. : )

edited December 2018

So I guess that's it!  This month's challenge is the hardest I've had to work, but also the most fun!  yes

Under a Shadow - A Picture of Our Times
    DS v.4.10.0.123 | 3Delight render via DS
    Postwork: Photoshop v.10.0.2 (custom texture files, fx & final title)

Products:

G3F
    Razor-Cut Bob Hair
    Winter Clothes for G3F
    Treasury of Books (books)
    Ivan 7
    Mobster Outfit
    AoA Spotlight
    Dark Places: Back Alley 2k9
    Last Chance Gas (sign)

---
    Special thanks (in alphabetical order) to: Daybird, High Elf, & Linwelly for translating title for movie tribute to Fritz Lang & German Expressionists from 20s & early 30s.

---

• Here's version f of the campfire. Unhid the cyber eyes of the speaker, gave the listener a 5-oclock shadow, and did some texture work on the rock next to the camera.

feb2018f.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M
  • Image looked off balance so I put a scepter in her hand.  Still needs lightning?

dragon2.jpg
    995 x 881 - 429K

Here's version f of the campfire. Unhid the cyber eyes of the speaker, gave the listener a 5-oclock shadow, and did some texture work on the rock next to the camera.

The ground, especially the stone looks better now, but I think you can reduce the reflection even more a bit.

Since a few picture, I wonder what's this mechanical device, in the upper right corner, but I have no clue, what it can be?

edited February 2018
    Gallows said:

Image looked off balance so I put a scepter in her hand.  Still needs lightning?

No, I find the light ok. It may sound funny, but I find the staff very distracting. Maybe while he is the only strong colored thing in the picture. My eyes wander instantly to him. 

So we need another colored eye catcher on the dragonside or maybe you should reduce the color on him a little

You could also try to erase him and  change the cameraposition a little, to bring her face and body more in the position where is now the staff. 

Or, use DoF to blur him and set the dragon sharp.

Post edited by daybird on

@Tynkere propably reconsider the colouring of yout text? In the moment its competing with the image, and the image looses to those eyecatcher colours. The idea of a poster is to make something that referst to each other between the text and the image. Try looking up some movie posters on the net to see.

Gallows said:

Image looked off balance so I put a scepter in her hand.  Still needs lightning?

I think this could a higher intensity on your lightsource. The effect you are trying to generate relies on contrast and in the moment the main contast in on the sceptre ( not a bad thing) and her face is too dark. A test I do somethimes when I'm not sure the contrasts will work as intended is to desaturate the image in some photomanipulation program (GIMP, Photoshoop). When there is only grey the colour wont distract as contrast.

Here we are with version e of the campfire. Made some changes to the ground texture, and hid the cyber eyes(that's what was glowing in the last version.) my first character had.

Is your fire the main light source there (aside from the sky) I believe you could increase the intensity there and moce a bit oput of the red spectrum into the ysellow-orange (if you're using Iray the temperature of fire is at 2800 kelvin. no need to additionally add colour to that.

Its a funny thing that with the topic light there is often a tendency to make rather dark renders ;) I did the same when I started. Try to let us actually see what happens on your renders :D.

edited December 2018

@ Linwelly

Glad I checked back in because... erm... I forgot to attach the jpg.  O_o

So.... desaturate text/change color, or make text box a little transparent?

Will work on it.  Thanks for the heads up.  Thought I was finished!

@ Shinji

I liked him better w/o goggles, but obviously your choice.  Be interesting to see how you finish up! 

@ Daybird

Kidding with Shinji or serious about 'mysterous object' ? devil

Only first few seconds of the Jackyl song.  If you get to where he laughs too far into it.  : )

@ Gallows

Tweaking part is fun isn't it?  (not really)

If a seperate surface, you could try something less reflective for part that's holding the purple orb.  Maybe brushed aluminum and adjust? 

If you really want to have fun, have you tried light effects in render tab?  If game for either, am willing to help.

Kind of surprised no one has used it yet (that I've noticed anyway.)   Hope I'm not leaving anyone out!  One spotlight, high up, is the "moon."  The horse btw is brushed aluminum.  The light probe tool is free at DAZ store if you don't already have it. 

---

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118
    Gallows said:

It seems to me that the light is aimed at her belly instead of her face. 

Tynkere said:

@ Daybird

Kidding with Shinji or serious about 'mysterous object' ? devil

Only first few seconds of the Jackyl song.  If you get to where he laughs too far into it.  : )

No kidding, I'm too stupid or too blind to understand what I see. It looks like a part of a cybernetic snake body to me.  

campfire.jpg
    1080 x 872 - 264K

Next try with my scene. I changed a few things and reducted the rainprop to make my backgroundpic visible again.

I also found the cause of the strange bright lines over the face from the monster and in the air. 
    This are reflections from the emissive shaders which I used to light up the fire in the barrel and the lightning. For the barrel I found the simple solution to put a emissive plane deeper in the barrel, to avoid that the light shine sidewards.
    The lightning makes more problems. If I render him seperate, I lost many high lights in the scene, even in the rainprop. 
    Until now, I tend to let the bright reflection stay where there are (right of the lightning), but if someone have a better idea, I will try to use it in a new render.

The fire look still not right and I think about, which setting in the surface tab I can use to create a blur effect on it to make the air look like its heating up.

16.2.18.jpg
    1400 x 2265 - 2M
  • Great ideas...next tweak.

dragon3.jpg
    968 x 881 - 408K

@ Daybird

Well Shinji's little 'easter egg' to tell you. : )  

But to topic.  Latest render....

Ha!  Much better with the fire, and really like the jacket.  For some reason reminds me of  Ciri from Witcher3-- probably the silver sword.    

Anyway, am sure you know this, but on off chance overlooked...

What would be making most of her boots look grayish, while the part closest to her shotgun is dark?  ? ? ?

@ Gallows

Not sure what you did, but sure got rid of the hotspot on her staff.  Looks like a nice soft purplish light to storm.  

On its way.  : )

edited December 2018

@ Linwelly, Barbult, everyone really

Suggestion to look up art was interesting, or maybe I'm a nerd.

Some had elaborate font calligraphery class called "German Black Letter"  Others look like script style or san-serif fonts.

The really good posters had text flowing along lines of course.  Color, shapes & text all part of the design.  A bit late for that now  since I'm in DS, not vector app. : )

Computer font looked too crisp & clean.  I'm not that consistant (letter 'e' for example) so got out an old friend.  smiley

Please tell me I didn't make a mistake and leave out a letter, or a spelling mistake.

Scan it in & clean up, but looked like graffetti on the wall, so I had to make 4 layers with diff mixes to get it to look rounded and more 3D looking.

It is literally under a shadow now!  

Let me know if I can improve it more.  March will be work season again, so I won't have nearly as much time. 

As always, thanks for reading!

--Bruce

_UnderShadow_FinalTextRevised.jpg
    1080 x 1440 - 803K
    Tynkere said:

@ Daybird

Well Shinji's little 'easter egg' to tell you. : )  

But to topic.  Latest render....

Ha!  Much better with the fire, and really like the jacket.  For some reason reminds me of  Ciri from Witcher3-- probably the silver sword.    

Anyway, am sure you know this, but on off chance overlooked...

What would be making most of her boots look grayish, while the part closest to her shotgun is dark?  ? ? ?

Ohh the answer about this question is very simple...it's the shadow of the shotgun. ^^

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

@daybird

I think he means the leg bracers which are lighter than the trousers and from a distance it looks like there is a mismatch with the shader. Zooming in and the bracers become visible :)

• Here we are with version g. Tried to make some tweeks to the fire, ground, and rock. Also gave the speeker a set of dogtags as a referance to my late grandfather who passed the same year as my uncle, (Same side of the family actualy.) who was a WW2 naval vet and in his early 90s when he passed on.

feb2018g.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M