Luxus discussion II

Comments

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited May 2013

Sorry if this has been answered previously, couldn't find it. Isn't there a way to replace LuxRender's default sky?

I can't speak to how you'd configure it in Luxus, but I mix an IBL for the Sky with Lux's Sun regularly. It helps that Reality has the IBLSphere so you can see the IBL in the Studio scene. One, you can rotate the IBL sphere and have an idea of what you'll get in the render. And 2) when you switch to the Sun distant light in Studio, you can then orient it so it's coming from the same position as the sun in the IBL you are using.

With Reality, it ALWAYS writes both the Sun and Sky lightsources to the scene file. So after export, you want to edit the .lxm file and comment out the Sky lightsource when using this technique for the Sky. You'll want to use linear tonemapping so you can accurately adjust the balance of the gains between the Sun and the IBL. I find I get better results adjusting the exposure for the IBL at a gain of 1 and then reduce the Sun's gain accordingly, which usually results in the gain on the Sun being somewhere in the .001 to .0001 range depending on the IBL used.

One of my more recent renders done with this technique is Welcome to My Island Home (NSFW), which uses a Skies of Economy (sold here at DAZ3D) IBL combined with the Lux Sun to get the stronger shadows.

Post edited by cwichura on
  • SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

Sorry if this has been answered previously, couldn't find it. Isn't there a way to replace LuxRender's default sky? I thought there was a product or two that does that via Reality but not for Luxus yet.

Because for a shot like what I did above I'd normally use one of my skyspheres, but of course without the ability to turn off shadow-casting that causes problems in LuxRender. If need be I can render the sky I want and a matching mask in 3Delight and composite it in later, but I thought there was a way to get it all done in Lux. Help?

What you want is an Infinite light in LuxRender.
    -> Create a light, like distant light
    -> Do Parameters Pane option menu -> "Luxus - LuxRender Light".
    -> Choose infinite as the type
    -> In Parameters Pane set the LuxRender Environment map to your map

You can then save that as a light preset if you want and use it elsewhere.

• jax_512b7aea09jax_512b7aea09 Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

Mordur said:
    Here are a couple feature requests that may have gotten overlooked from the previous fast moving thread:

1: Option to create render files without starting LuxRender (for adding file to queue, etc.)
    2: Option to 'auto-convert' a surface (instead of choosing glossy/matte/etc.)

1) I will add that. If you are on Windows you can put a -v into the commandline settings. LuxRender will print the version.

2) I don't understand this. Meaning, if a material does not have the custom parameters it will be auto-converted(this could be improved). If you want to setup something manually, then that is there too. Are you wanting something in between?

What I mean is, an option to automatically select a material type and populate it with values based on the Studio material values.

edited December 1969

Mordur said:
    Mordur said:
    Here are a couple feature requests that may have gotten overlooked from the previous fast moving thread:

1: Option to create render files without starting LuxRender (for adding file to queue, etc.)

1) I will add that. If you are on Windows you can put a -v into the commandline settings. LuxRender will print the version.

2) I don't understand this. Meaning, if a material does not have the custom parameters it will be auto-converted(this could be improved). If you want to setup something manually, then that is there too. Are you wanting something in between?

What I mean is, an option to automatically select a material type and populate it with values based on the Studio material values.
    Doesn't the checkbox marked "Copy Studio Parameters" do this or would something else be more useful?

edited December 1969

Mordur said:
    Mordur said:

Doesn't the checkbox marked "Copy Studio Parameters" do this or would something else be more useful?

I thought auto-conversion did more than just clicking 'Copy Studio Parameters'?

edited December 1969

Mordur said:
    Mordur said:
    Mordur said:

It does and the whole process is being improved.

edited December 1969

Mordur said:
    Mordur said:
    Mordur said:

It does and the whole process is being improved.
    Oh, so what I want is the ability to auto-convert a material, but output to the appropriate Luxus Material settings on the surfaces tab instead of to a .lxs file. That way I can take advantage of the auto-conversion process, then tweak those settings. Right now, it's either tweaking the Studio settings so the conversion gives the results I want, or setting up the LuxRender material from scratch.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Sorry if this has been answered previously, couldn't find it. Isn't there a way to replace LuxRender's default sky? I thought there was a product or two that does that via Reality but not for Luxus yet.

From somewhere in the old thread
    Skydomes / Easy Environments Skybox
    Turn it into a light emitter, then adjust on-the-fly in Luxrender ...mostly a case of turning light strength down so it's strong enough to be seen but not strong enough to look like it's actually a light - then use mesh lights to light the actual scene inside the skybox.
    You can use a skydome, you just have to make it a meshlight, but it’ll wreck your render time. An infinite light mapped with an environment for the sky would be better if you want that sort of thing.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Mordur said:
    Oh, so what I want is the ability to auto-convert a material, but output to the appropriate Luxus Material settings on the surfaces tab instead of to a .lxs file. That way I can take advantage of the auto-conversion process, then tweak those settings. Right now, it's either tweaking the Studio settings so the conversion gives the results I want, or setting up the LuxRender material from scratch.

That would be a very useful feature and incidentally is what Reality does when you load it up. It's also rather useful to know how some materials are auto-converted. That way you have more scope to match settings across similar surfaces in the scene, including those which might auto-convert in a different manner.

Currently the main problem I'm having with copying studio materials is specular. As Lux is a physical based renderer, high specular values leave colours washed out, with bright light reflecting off the model. Since a lot of Daz surfaces leave white as the specular colour, it translates as full specular in Luxus. Auto-conversion does a much better job at changing those settings. As it stands, when I manually convert materials I almost invariably have to alter the specular setting to make it more manageable.

• Michael GMichael G Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

WIP of Alfaseeds awesome The outlander.

outlander.jpg
    1415 x 2000 - 361K
  • satinsatin Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

Is there a way to use a hdri in the environment map (as described in the manual) for lighting objects that are in the scene but not have its image seen in the background.

The way I have been doing, is to put something like the IDL Cove from RDNA to block out the image but not the lightsource it provides.

Would appreciate any help with this so I don't have to put anything extra in the scene to block out the visual image it creates.

Thanks

edited December 1969

aphyd said:
    Is there a way to use a hdri in the environment map (as described in the manual) for lighting objects that are in the scene but not have its image seen in the background.

No, LuxRender does not support reflection-only lightsources, as they are not physically correct.
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

aphyd said:

The way I have been doing, is to put something like the IDL Cove from RDNA to block out the image but not the lightsource it provides.

Would appreciate any help with this so I don't have to put anything extra in the scene to block out the visual image it creates.

Thanks

To render with alpha channel (No background, no HDRI)
    set Pre Multiply Alpha ON

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Isn't there a way to replace LuxRender's default sky? . . .

What you want is an Infinite light in LuxRender.
    -> Create a light, like distant light
    -> Do Parameters Pane option menu -> "Luxus - LuxRender Light".
    -> Choose infinite as the type
    -> In Parameters Pane set the LuxRender Environment map to your map

You can then save that as a light preset if you want and use it elsewhere.
    Thanks people! Skysphere-as-meshlight sounds too time-intensive, I'll try this method tonight.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Just purchased this today and this is my 1st proper render.

Used Barnyard lights.

Anyone know why the eyes are white?

Horse.jpg
    658 x 738 - 393K
    edited December 1969

Also does anyone know why the Luxrender GUI doesn't work either? Nothing happens when I set that.

edited May 2013

wilmap said:

Most likely, the specularity is way too high. Most Poser/Studio stuff typically has max spec (255), which is off the charts and then some for a physically unbiased rendering engine.
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:

Nope, but I had the same thing happen with the DAZ Squirrel. A quick get-the-render-done-and-posted-before-the-deadline solution is: a) go into the materials setting and copy down where the eye's diffuse texture is, b) copy a texture that's working (the horse's coat will do) and paste it onto the eyes, then c) replace the diffuse map with the eye's map and remove any effect-maps like bump and displacement.

That'll work (more or less), but it's undoubtedly not the "right" solution. :red:

edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    wilmap said:

Most likely, the specularity is way too high. Most Poser/Studio stuff typically has max spec (255), which is off the charts and then some for a physically unbiased rendering engine.

That worked!! Thank you.

Turned specular down on the eyes and now it renders OK.

• Slide3DSlide3D Posts: 194
    edited May 2013

renders
    I like how hair rendered in Luxrender without special mat setup

Francesca_Cloth.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 537K
    Post edited by Slide3D on
  • kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

Yes, I confess, I've been cheating on Luxus and fooling around with the new SSS shaders. However, I did a render for the new user's contest that I'm very happy with, and thought I'd share. :)

may_final.jpg
    800 x 800 - 241K
  • Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited May 2013

A friend finally piqued my interest in the Luxus DS to LuxRender “material conversions”, and be finding you can indeed get some very good results. Although I can’t say I know how the SSS works. I’m looking through the Luxus/LuxRender settings and can’t see any volume options set… Or does it not use them?

I’ve been finding it hard to find all the info about Luxus that I need, and I know there are others out there in the same situation, so I’ve been compiling a beginners guide. This started as a very small project just to reveal the basic functions of Luxus, but has grown somewhat in scope. I showed the aforementioned friend the guide as it stood at the time, and she wanted to know what this “copy studio parameters” thing was all about. I’d been totally ignoring it till then, but then it suddenly dawned that this was probably the thingy that converts the base DAZ mats to Lux. I figured this was something that would probably be one of those need to know things for most just starting with the program, so it needed to be thoroughly experimented with and added to the list.

It is little things like this that have been constantly adding to the guide. It was meant to be finished earlier tonight but it’s now 3am and I’m still just playing around with DS/Luxus/Lux.

Anyway. might as well share a couple of images. The first is still on the cook using hybrid + metropolis + bidir. Thought I’d post it as this is the result of playing around with Spheric’s ubersurface conversion. She’s a little on the specular side, but I never liked too much matt. The second was the result of another delaying experimentation with Lux’s SPPM method. I think it has currently had a few billion photons fired at it, but is still a little noisy in the background. I’m guessing this is down to the way I lit the scene. DOF probably didn’t help speed things along either.

Edit: I forgot to ask about the seams on Genesis's shoulder. I have no idea what's going on. Anyone?

cyborg_luxus_for_daz_studio_render2_small.jpg
    800 x 601 - 112K
    daz_mat_test3.png
    800 x 738 - 684K
    Post edited by Jim_1831252 on
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know why I can't get Luxus to work using the GUI?

When I set it to use the GUI nothing happens - doesn't even render. Renders OK if I turn the Gui off.

edited May 2013

jimzombie said:
    The first is still on the cook using hybrid + metropolis + bidir.

Hybrid BiDir, by the LuxRender devs own admission, is experimental at best and outright broken at worst. If you wish to use GPU acceleration, you should always select Path for now.

The shoulder seams... it looks like the arm has a different material setting than the torso.

edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    jimzombie said:
    The first is still on the cook using hybrid + metropolis + bidir.

Hybrid BiDir, by the LuxRender devs own admission, is experimental at best and outright broken at worst. If you wish to use GPU acceleration, you should always select Path for now.

I know. I've read this a hundred times. Just want to play with it. Sheesh! Oh, that's causing the seam thing... err. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Still like to play :)

edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Does anyone know why I can't get Luxus to work using the GUI?

When I set it to use the GUI nothing happens - doesn't even render. Renders OK if I turn the Gui off.

What does the LuxRender log have to say about this?

edited December 1969

This is all that is in log file for the render.

Loaded file: Genesis.duf
    Total Rendering Time: 2.31 seconds

edited December 1969

Does it work in the non-GUI mode of Luxus? Has Luxus been told the proper path to the LuxRender executable?

edited December 1969

Yes iLuxus works fine rendered in Daz with GUI off.

The path is correct.

edited May 2013

Sounds like you've got Lux configured to kill the render just after you start. Can't recall the name of the option in the Luxus render settings though. I'm going to bed to die. Hope you find the solution.

Ah, check the "halt at time" and halt at samples per pixel. .

Actually that doesn't sound right at all. Should try to do more than load Genesis.

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on