Returning User - Confused about the people figures LOL

edited February 2018 in Poser Discussion

Hey folks,

I just got Poser Pro 11.1 on the big sale they are doing, I'm a Poser user from waaaaay (I have a copy of the original Poser "1.0" still on a disk somewhere) back, but got away from it for a few years - the last version of Poser I had used was 8.

So, the figures I had last used were M4/V4, which were complete figures in and of themselves.

Now I see reference to M5/V5, M6/V6, and M8/V8 - M7/V7 seem to be missing.  But are these actual figures, or are they morphs of the Genesis 2/3/8 figures?

Are the G2 Male and Female (SimonG2 and SydneyG2) that came included with the Poser 11.1 installation in fact the same as the Genesis 2 figures?

I have all of the Genesis 3 starter stuff in my DAZ 3d Product Library (Thanks, DAZ!!!), which I understand is fully compatible with Poser (unlike Gen 8), and is included in the baseline DSON installer.  But, before I bomb out my Poser 11.1 content libraries, I wanted to clear up the confusion re: all these figures!!!

I'm sorry if I'm asking a question that has already been answered, but my forum search skillz are rusty, and there are a lot of forums!!!

Thanks,

Drew

Post edited by andy.shuma_32d36a2f7a on

Comments

• Yes, the 5+ named characters are shapes (and sometimes UV sets) for their respective Genesis versions rather than stand-alone figures. Genesis and Genesis 2 can be used in Poser via the DSON Importer, Genesis 3 and 8 cannot (or at least, it's necessary to break stuff to get them to work - though soem people seem to be happy with the results).

No, G2 is not the same as Genesis (2).

• Thanks, richard!

Ok, so:

M4/V4 = standalone

M5/V5 = shapes for Genesis 2 (works in Poser)

M7/V7 = shapes for Genesis 3 (not for Poser)

M8/V8 = shapes for Genesis 8 (not for Poser)

Was there ever an M6/V6?

Thanks again,

Drew

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,142
    edited February 2018

Thanks, richard!

Ok, so:

M4/V4 = standalone

M5/V5 = shapes for Genesis 2 (works in Poser)

Was there ever an M6/V6?

Thanks again,

Drew

No: M5/V5 are the shapes for Genesis (without a number) which also works in Poser.
    M6/V6 do exist and are the shapes for Genesis 2.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • Ok, so:

M4/V4 = standalone

M5/V5 = shapes for Genesis (works in Poser)

M6/V6 = shapes for Genesis 2 (works in Poser)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Next Question:  Where does the Poser community see Paul 2 and Pauline 2 fitting in the above scheme (assuming each generation is an improvement over the previous)?  Are they an upgrade over Genesis 2?  Personal experiences/opinions are welcome, i.e. this doesn't have to be real scientific :P

Thanks again,

Drew

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785

Welcome back! smiley Some use Paul and Pauline, but they don't fit into the above scheme; they are demo figures for new Poser features.   I woulld have rather had them do updated rigs for the Poser G2 figures, as there was quite a bit of content for them.

Genesis and Genesis 2 don't work natively in Poser but require either the DSON Importer :which is free here) or being exported from DAZ Stusio as a cr2. There is a free utility at Renderosity that will allow exported Genesis 3 and 8 figures to be used in Poser 11; Google 'Genesis 3 Poser Updater'

There is a weightmapped rig for V4 that uses Poser's weightmapped rigging, and a utility to transfer that rigging to clothing; V4WM update and Outfitter at this link:
    http://www.morphography.uk.vu/~cagepage/poserplace/poserplace.html

The Big Thing in Poserdom right now is Project Evolution female figure by Erogenesis availible at CGBytes.  There is a free demo version there as well.  Here's a thread from the SM forum:

https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/2726/project-evolution-for-poser