More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• kenmo said:

The Prisoner {2016}

I did this a couple of years ago. Elephant was modeled in Sculptris, the dungeon modeled in Hexagon3D ver 2.5. Both models were textured in 3DCoat ver 3. The scene was then rendered in Vue Studio 8.5. The image was further detailed in ArtRage with some color correction in Photoshop.

My inspiration for this image was one of my favorite fantasy stories, Robert E. Howard's "Tower of the Elephant" in his Conan series... But I went for a more storybook type of feel then a horror/fantasy look....

Beautiful. This is my favorite Conan story from the comics, and I finally got around to reading the actual short story itself just earlier this week. You do a good job of setting the tone of the piece, and I really like the little mouse. Is the mouse bringing him food? It kinda looks like it. Very pretty, very evocative lighting. Thanks so much for sharing this one with us.

• Starlaw said:

Continued work in progress of "Venn Biblia: A Bible Story", one of the stories to be powered by StoryLucent Tool

Very impressive line work on this. He's very lean and his muscles are apparent. I like this interpretation of him. 

• Diomede said:  I haven't visited this thread in a while.  Wow, wonderful goings on.  Here is something from me.

I really like this style. It looks like something lifted from an old pulp novel. There's a little funkiness around his shoulder/armpit, but that's a minor point. I think it's more of the way the lighting is hitting his skin more than a problem with the anatomy. I really like the pink sky and the comic alien in the background. This is just the sort of thing I would have devoured in my teens.

• Artini said:

... 3rd

I think most of you guys know I prefer more muted tones, but this is my favorite of the versions you posted. It has a 1980s/1990s international cartoon look, like something that would have come out of Germany or France. In this case, the saturation captures the projected light quality of seeing a cartoon from that era. And I also like the details in the room -- just the right amount of clutter and decay.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited February 2018

I got way behind on the thread and now we're on a new thread! A lot of great images, and thanks in particular to @magicjava for sharing your comic work with us!

I thought I had posted this one earllier, but looking back looks like it didn't make it into this thread, only the It's Raining Men contest thread. Another pwToon piece in Studio. Click for full size.

Late Night at the Office

I saw this in the "It's Raining Men" contest and wanted to ask you about how you got the shadows across the figures. Is it a gel, or did you put the light on the other side of the blinds? Either way, it's pretty good. I'm thinking you need some stronger white lines on the furniture and walls, though, to break up the various dark patches a little more. But I'm still very impressed with what you've accomplished with PW Toon (you got much better results than I ever have!). Well done.

BTW: I know you use DS for your work, but have you checked out my Poser Noir Comics tutorial? It's in the link below in my signature. I think you might find some useful tips there.)

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • tkdrobert said:

Blade Runner: Hot Pursuit.  Although this render is detailed, it does not appear to be "Photo-real" to me.  Feel free to correct me if you feel I am wrong.

Blade Runner: Hot Pursuit

Here is another version, not sure which is better:

https://pre00.deviantart.net/0e43/th/pre/i/2018/031/a/8/blade_runner_iid_by_tkdrobert-dc1s49i.jpg

No, not photo real at all! This has a wonderful saturated look that makes me think of the box art on the Shadowrun games. I really love the haloing effect on the women in that window, and the slight tilt gives it a nice hint of action (wink). This is REALLY cool. I can tell you put a lot of work into it, and it shows.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    edited February 2018

Mecha Wars

Mecha Wars

I think I might tweek the colors on this one.

Edit:  Updated the tectures, so the colors came out better in post-work:

Mecha Wars (Uodated)

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528

Thank you very much for the comments, mmitchell_houston.

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

This is for a gag in an episode of Incoming Transmission From Moon Base Zero that I'm currently writting.

As much as I wanna use "Spanish Flea" for the joke, as would be the custom, I'm going with a Kevin Macleod piece instead...as I can actually afford that. XD

The flame is from a stock artist at deviantArt named Faestock

Difficulties.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

quickie from me for the carrara toon challenge

here's a homage to a  cartoon I once saw in Playboy circa 1981 - the graphic was very different but the sentiments the same - the men had their back to us , their hand in pockets I think, the heaven sign was seen from the back, mounted above a gate.

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    tkdrobert said:

Mecha Wars

Mecha Wars

Sweet!

• I got way behind on the thread and now we're on a new thread! A lot of great images, and thanks in particular to @magicjava for sharing your comic work with us!

I thought I had posted this one earllier, but looking back looks like it didn't make it into this thread, only the It's Raining Men contest thread. Another pwToon piece in Studio. Click for full size.

Late Night at the Office

I saw this in the "It's Raining Men" contest and wanted to ask you about how you got the shadows across the figures. Is it a gel, or did you put the light on the other side of the blinds? Either way, it's pretty good. I'm thinking you need some stronger white lines on the furniture and walls, though, to break up the various dark patches a little more. But I'm still very impressed with what you've accomplished with PW Toon (you got much better results than I ever have!). Well done.

BTW: I know you use DS for your work, but have you checked out my Poser Noir Comics tutorial? It's in the link below in my signature. I think you might find some useful tips there.)

It is a distance light from outside the blinds. With the positioning of the scene, changing the angle of the blinds helped get different thicknesses of the shadows cast on each figure as well.

I know what you mean about the lines on the furniture. One of the issues I run into with pwToon on objects with large flat planes is that it can be tough to get thick lines that don't end up filling in an entire surface. Since this render goes pretty quick, I might try a few more passes with line thicknesses, or at least focus on that for the next one.

Back nearer to when pwToon came out I think I had uploaded the presets I'm using. I don't see them on ShareCG or 'rosity now, so they might have been on the PW site (which seems to be gone mostly). I'll try to package them up and upload them somewhere again in case anyone is interested.

• tkdrobert said:

Preparing for Take Off

Take Off Prep NPR by tkdrobert

I used Topaz Simplicty 4 to make the details come out, then used Topaz Studio, "Simple Smudge" to make it look painted.

I also really like how this turned out, the overall color pallette is great, and the final effect is really nice. Great work.

edited February 2018

here's a few renders straight out of Carrara that might be of interest to someone  - (well all  but one - the top middle one is toon pro overlaying the first image on the top left) 

- the water colour effect is obtained by doing a photon pass- and at least one of them has caustics turned on - the dark lines courtsey of toonpro! ( a carrara add on plugin)

the one with the most lines - the obj was bought in facetted/.???? and ended up as a primitive ??? I think that's what happened - then when I converted to mesh it lost all those lines (the ones that demark the tri gons)  - shader image attached - the shader uses easy Fresnel by shoe string shaders

here's some poser  robots for the Carrara toon challange - I rendered out an occlusion pass, a shadow pass , and a toonpro pass - I dirted up the shadow pass in fotosketcher - then combined them - uses parameter Darker Colour

Post edited by Headwax on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528

Great renders, head wax. I especially like the ones with the robots.

Artini said:

Me too.

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895

One of my characters. I'm going back to mixing both traditional and digital artwork, using Daz3d characters only for references

Cool idea with great results...

• head wax said:

here's a few renders straight out of Carrara that might be of interest to someone  - (well all  but one - the top middle one is toon pro overlaying the first image on the top left) 

- the water colour effect is obtained by doing a photon pass- and at least one of them has caustics turned on - the dark lines courtsey of toonpro! ( a carrara add on plugin)

the one with the most lines - the obj was bought in facetted/.???? and ended up as a primitive ??? I think that's what happened - then when I converted to mesh it lost all those lines (the ones that demark the tri gons)  - shader image attached - the shader uses easy Fresnel by shoe string shaders

here's some poser  robots for the Carrara toon challange - I rendered out an occlusion pass, a shadow pass , and a toonpro pass - I dirted up the shadow pass in fotosketcher - then combined them - uses parameter Darker Colour

The shells are really cool to see the different effects. I got carrara some time ago and have never really used it, nice to see what it can do. But I also really, really like the robots! Fun, and a very neat style!

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,943
    edited February 2018

Experimenting with something in a very different (though maybe not that different) direction from my other pwtoon presets. Building out a library of presets focusing on a more colorful but muted and softer overall look. Had a couple test renders, but this one I has been the best so far as the overall feel and the range. Still tweaking and figuring out how to use them best, but it's been interesting.

Subway Chat

subway_chat_20180213.png
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by AlmightyQUEST on
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Daz|Studio's free toon shader is actually pretty decent, once you get in there and really tweak it.

Scene.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    head wax said:

The shells are really cool to see the different effects. I got carrara some time ago and have never really used it, nice to see what it can do. But I also really, really like the robots! Fun, and a very neat style!

thank you ! Yes Carrara has some talents us NPR users are just discovering!

Artini said:

thanks artini et tkdrobert   _ yes they give cleaner lines - good geometry I think. ;)

edited February 2018

Experimenting with something in a very different (though maybe not that different) direction from my other pwtoon presets. Building out a library of presets focusing on a more colorful but muted and softer overall look. Had a couple test renders, but this one I has been the best so far as the overall feel and the range. Still tweaking and figuring out how to use them best, but it's been interesting.

Subway Chat

nice work :) I think the chap on the right works best because he is very clean against the back ground

vrba79 said:

Daz|Studio's free toon shader is actually pretty decent, once you get in there and really tweak it.

good examples ypu are posting - nice to see Studio catching up with Carrara ;) (small joke)!

Post edited by Headwax on
  • vrba79 said:

Looks good, the contrast with the background works well on this I think.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    head wax said:

Great work.  The difference in lines after conversion may be due to calculated mesh density.  At least in the native NPR engine, the same settings will generate a different look if the underlying mesh is more dense.  It shouldn't affect post render filters like GMIC, I wouldn't think.

edited February 2018

Ready For Action.  I'm on an ANime/Manga/Mecha/Robotech trip right now.

Ready For Action

Post edited by tkdrobert on

Under Attack.  Playing around with Ron's Explosions.

Under Attack

• Well, I do like big robots. Nice color work on compositions!

Mecha Wars II

Mecha Wars II

• I am hinking of working a number of images / animations in a sepia tone style (mostly medieval themes), but I decided to practice on this scene which has a variety of surfaces. Any suggestions for improvement?

Cheerleaders in Sepia

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    tkdrobert said:

Mecha Wars II

Mecha Wars II

Fantastic render and image...

This discussion has been closed.