DazToMaya issue -- characters are shiny when imported to Maya

Hey folks, quick question regarding the DazToMaya plugin. When I use it to import my characters into Maya they are highly reflective so I must go into each surface and manually reduce specular highlights. It's very tedious. Is there an export setting in DS that could export without this issue, or is just an inherent unavoidable limitation of the FBX format? I've noticed for example that Collada doesn't have this issue.

Comments

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited February 2018

The DAZtoMaya dialog box in Maya has settings to adjust the specular parameters.  At the bottom of the box you will see two sliders.  Play around with those to get what you want.  But since the plugin only connects the diffuse and bump maps, you will need to add the specular weight maps and other maps anyways, so it won't save you anytime.  All Daz models come with spec maps and you need that to produce good spec highlights so don't neglect to add them.

Post edited by drzap on
  • Interesting, I honestly don't know how to find or apply any specific spec maps to imported FBX models, I only know how to go into the attributes in Maya and edit specularity manually. Is there some resource that would help me figure out how to do that?

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited February 2018

Interesting, I honestly don't know how to find or apply any specific spec maps to imported FBX models, I only know how to go into the attributes in Maya and edit specularity manually. Is there some resource that would help me figure out how to do that?

I suppose you can scan youtube or google for information on texturing models in Maya   I have also found the Maya manual on the Autodesk website invaluable.  Look in DS under surfaces tab for the location of your materials maps.   When you mouse over the little map icon, it displays where on your hard drive the map is located.

Post edited by drzap on