Is it possible to swap an animated object? So the new object is animated using the old object?

3dsamm3dsamm Posts: 63
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

Hi guys,

Question is in the subject really - my character is picking up a prop and I was wondering if I could change this object to something else, but keeping the animation so the character picks up this new object instead (if that makes sense).

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

3dsamm said:
    Hi guys,

Question is in the subject really - my character is picking up a prop and I was wondering if I could change this object to something else, but keeping the animation so the character picks up this new object instead (if that makes sense).

so you like the animation - but you want to change obj
    goto frame 0 - delete obj - put new one - run to see if it worked

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Try just parenting the new object to the old, and hide the old one.

Works perfectly in Carrara, but I don't know about those other programs ...

• 3dsamm3dsamm Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

thankyou! i will try this.. 2 more q's

1. does anyone know any shortcuts? such as switching between perspective, left, top view?

2. and also, I now have my aniBlock - how do I move keyframes? carnite suggested using alt/shift click and drag but this doesnt work..

:)

• carolinebegbiecarolinebegbie Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

3dsamm said:

2. and also, I now have my aniBlock - how do I move keyframes? carnite suggested using alt/shift click and drag but this doesnt work..

I'm trying to remember why I would have made that suggestion, and under what circumstances that would work.

You can right click and Copy a keyframe in an aniBlock, then go to the new place and Paste, then go back to the old keyframe and Delete.

Or you can go into the graph editor, and drag keyframes around there.

No alt or shift click involved though. (Unless you are selecting multiple joints, then you can shift click to select)

• 3dsamm3dsamm Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

carnite said:
    3dsamm said:

I'm trying to remember why I would have made that suggestion, and under what circumstances that would work.

You can right click and Copy a keyframe in an aniBlock, then go to the new place and Paste, then go back to the old keyframe and Delete.

Or you can go into the graph editor, and drag keyframes around there.

No alt or shift click involved though. (Unless you are selecting multiple joints, then you can shift click to select)

hii! lol it wasnt me honest guv :D i think DS5 should have shift drag, a simple addition!