More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    tkdrobert said:

Blade Runner: Hot Pursuit.  Although this render is detailed, it does not appear to be "Photo-real" to me.  Feel free to correct me if you feel I am wrong.

Blade Runner: Hot Pursuit

Here is another version, not sure which is better:

https://pre00.deviantart.net/0e43/th/pre/i/2018/031/a/8/blade_runner_iid_by_tkdrobert-dc1s49i.jpg

lots of movement, both are terrifc, I like the second on best - there's lots of atmosphere in both - they look photoreal to me because the treatment of all the elements is simialr (except maybe the silhouettes in the window bottom left) - something handone would have different degrees of worked up feel in different areas of the image

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,796
    kenmo said:

The Prisoner {2016}

I did this a couple of years ago. Elephant was modeled in Sculptris, the dungeon modeled in Hexagon3D ver 2.5. Both models were textured in 3DCoat ver 3. The scene was then rendered in Vue Studio 8.5. The image was further detailed in ArtRage with some color correction in Photoshop.

My inspiration for this image was one of my favorite fantasy stories, Robert E. Howard's "Tower of the Elephant" in his Conan series... But I went for a more storybook type of feel then a horror/fantasy look....

this is so cool... great work yes

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    head wax said:
    tkdrobert said:

Blade Runner: Hot Pursuit.  Although this render is detailed, it does not appear to be "Photo-real" to me.  Feel free to correct me if you feel I am wrong.

Blade Runner: Hot Pursuit

Here is another version, not sure which is better:

https://pre00.deviantart.net/0e43/th/pre/i/2018/031/a/8/blade_runner_iid_by_tkdrobert-dc1s49i.jpg

lots of movement, both are terrifc, I like the second on best - there's lots of atmosphere in both - they look photoreal to me because the treatment of all the elements is simialr (except maybe the silhouettes in the window bottom left) - something handone would have different degrees of worked up feel in different areas of the image

Thank you for the input.  When I do IRAY renders, I have a hard time deciding which direction to take with my post-work.  To me photo-real looks like a real photograph or a still from a movie.  I have a hard time getting that look, so I usually go in a more artsy direction.  I don’t know, I’m still trying to find a style I really like.

edited February 2018

Preparing for Take Off

Take Off Prep NPR by tkdrobert

I used Topaz Simplicty 4 to make the details come out, then used Topaz Studio, "Simple Smudge" to make it look painted.

Take Off Prep_NPR.jpg
    3000 x 2400 - 4M
    Post edited by Chohole on

Fett On My Six

Fett On My Six

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    tkdrobert said:

Preparing for Take Off

I used Topaz Simplicty 4 to make the details come out, then used Topaz Studio, "Simple Smudge" to make it look painted.

This is one of my favourites of all of the ones you've done, I really, really like the effect. Well done!

-- Walt Sterdan

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,787

"Preparing for Take Off" is my favorite, as well, tkdrobert.

Thanks,  I tried the same technique on the Fett render but it didn't look right.  Funny how that works.

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    Artini said:

"Preparing for Take Off" is my favorite, as well, tkdrobert.

Preparing for Take Off is definetly a winner.... Looks very much like a hand crafted piece of art...

Robotech.  One of my all time favorite shows growing up. 

Robotech

edited February 2018

Piles of gadgets... with different filters applied in Topaz Studio.

sh01_DistressedContrast.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 603K
    sh01_BeachDreams.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 324K
    sh01_BreakingWaves.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 463K
    sh01_ColorSketchIII.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 656K
    sh01_DecayingLaurels.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 587K
    Post edited by Artini on
    tkdrobert said:

Robotech

A classic look...

Artini said:

Looking good!!!

• tkdrobert said:

Robotech

Love the colors.  Like the style as well, but not exactly sure what to call it.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2018

For you cartoon lovers (and NPR fans in general) we just started the latest Carrara Challenge.  Cartoons are the general theme.

Some of you maybe have Carrara on your machine, but don't use it much.  Here is your chance!  Creating cartoons is relatively easy in Carrara.  There is a native filter (Toon 3), and applying it is a requirement in one of the categories.  It's great for outlines.  There is a tutorial on using it here.

C'mon over and play with us.  Maybe even enter something. :)

This image was all done within Carrara with no postwork, using Toon 3 and other filters:

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited February 2018
    tkdrobert said:

Robotech

Love the colors.  Like the style as well, but not exactly sure what to call it.

I rendered the ships in DAZ 3Delight.  The background was added and comes from Manga Studio.  In Manga, I also added a black border/outline to the ships while still in a seperate layer.  In Photoshop, I combined the layers then used a mix of Topaz Simplicity filters  I think I used the Poster Edges filter on the ships before combining the layers and before Simplicity.  It gives it a cartoon, but also a painted look.

Post edited by tkdrobert on

For you cartoon lovers (and NPR fans in general) we just started the latest Carrara Challenge.  Cartoons are the general theme.

Some of you maybe have Carrara on your machine, but don't use it much.  Here is your chance!  Creating cartoons is relatively easy in Carrara.  There is a native filter (Toon 3), and applying it is a requirement in one of the categories.  It's great for outlines.  There is a tutorial on using it here.

C'mon over and play with us.  Maybe even enter something. :)

This image was all done within Carrara with no postwork, using Toon 3 and other filters:

Very nice.

Thanks, kenmo.

• Thank you tkdrobert for the clear explanation.  A striking image.  I liked 3Delight very much when I was using DS.

And thanks as well for the good words on my image.  Not my usual cup of tea, but it was done as a response to a thread comment.

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Robotech

I rendered the ships in DAZ 3Delight.  The background was added and comes from Manga Studio.  In Manga, I also added a black border/outline to the ships while still in a seperate layer.  In Photoshop, I combined the layers then used a mix of Topaz Simplicity filters  I think I used the Poster Edges filter on the ships before combining the layers and before Simplicity.  It gives it a cartoon, but also a painted look.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2018

Here is something different using the dog (Odie) that Stezza modeled.  Original Girl 3.  No postwork.

NPR Girl and her Dog 1a.png
    1000 x 1500 - 874K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • magicjava said:

Wanna share this with readers of this thread. It's a picture done in DAZ Studio using only models available in my Kirby Krackle download. No postwork (except to add word balloons).

Very cool effect. Kinda reminds me of a power-mad Rorschach. It also has a Kirby Negative Zone look to it.

tkdrobert said:

Preparing for Take Off

Take Off Prep NPR by tkdrobert

really like this _ I better fire up Topaz Studio :)

Artini said:

all wonderful, but I like this last one best - looks hand illustrated

Here is something different using the dog (Odie) that Stezza modeled.  Original Girl 3.  No postwork.

amazing what you are squeezing out of Carrara - this and the cats in the jungle - hard to believe no post work

here's a ruffy from me for the Carrara toon challenge  - no post work bar sig - hence the poke through

easy enough to fix in carrara itself -

every one is welcome in the Carrara challenge (using Carrara :) ) have a look and see what can be done https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/229931/carrara-challenge-38-cartoon-homage-and-other-guilty-pleasures-wip

Thanks a lot, head wax.

edited February 2018

Wingmen (Painted).

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/bf/2211bcd61ac638be343bcc42cf92f2.jpg

Veritechs Painted.jpg
    3000 x 2400 - 2M
    Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Catgirl done with a G2F blend.

Joy.png
    590 x 731 - 370K
    magicjava said:

Wanna share this with readers of this thread. It's a picture done in DAZ Studio using only models available in my Kirby Krackle download. No postwork (except to add word balloons).

Very cool effect. Kinda reminds me of a power-mad Rorschach. It also has a Kirby Negative Zone look to it.

Wow...you are correct. Looks like an early Fantastic Four adventure into the negative zone by Jack "King"  Kirby....

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137

Little late but I want to say I love everyone's work in this one, love the inspiration and styles each artist used in their renders :).

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    edited February 2018

One of my characters. I'm going back to mixing both traditional and digital artwork, using Daz3d characters only for references

Yusra casual potrait picture.jpg
    1280 x 1657 - 868K
    yusra sketch.png
    470 x 446 - 242K
    Post edited by Sammagi on

One of my characters. I'm going back to mixing both traditional and digital artwork, using Daz3d characters only for references

Very nice.

This discussion has been closed.