Upgrade to 4.10 from 4.8 - What Should I Expect?

SwanSwan Posts: 134
edited February 2018 in Daz Studio Discussion

Title pretty much says it all. I am considering upgrading from 4.8 to 4.10 due to the improvements made on 4.10.

Are there any negative aspects I should expect? Any tips with how to deal with them? Especially in regards to content library. I don't want to spend days redoing that.

Post edited by Swan on

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I use DIM and custom (lots) of folders, and not noticing anything particular that is different to 4.9.

As I don't like smart content, I can't comment on that aspect, if that is a concern for you going forward.

• SwanSwan Posts: 134
    edited February 2018

Have content from 4.8. Not worried about smart content or connect (an intrusive pain). Prefer Install Manager. Ultimately decided to do a clean uninstall of 4.8 (that was an experience) and go with 4.10 due to improvements in Iray. Figured I'd just reinstall what I need going forward since I'm not doing as many renders as I once did.

I used to use DAZ a lot, but now I hire digital concept artists. Found the content of DAZ too limited to suit my needs (mix of Fantasy and Ancient Rome). The female clothes are too often geared towards the horny and lonely. Male products are woefully underrepresented. I found in two years of trying that only the rare product resembles anything close to historical. I at one time offered to hire DAZ artists here on the forums to create what I needed, but no one took me up on the offer.

So, long story short, I only use DAZ to give the digital concept artists an idea what I want. They then create original images using what I give them as a base example. 

Post edited by Swan on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

First back up your content library (and test your backup/restore process).  You need to already have made a backup of DS 4.8 as well, as it is no longer available. 

Then without doing anything critical you can't afford to loose, experiment extensively with the latest version.  Make sure ALL your content library is there, not just some of it (I would suggest looking for some of your oldest custom scenes, and clicking on random content folders to see if there are any potential differing response times).  If anything doesn't go as expected you can then simply uninstall, reset your library (discarding anything you did in 4.10), then reinstall the 4.8 version and go back to where you were.  And if 4.10 works great after testing, start using it.

• SwanSwan Posts: 134
    sriesch said:

First back up your content library (and test your backup/restore process).  You need to already have made a backup of DS 4.8 as well, as it is no longer available. 

Then without doing anything critical you can't afford to loose, experiment extensively with the latest version.  Make sure ALL your content library is there, not just some of it (I would suggest looking for some of your oldest custom scenes, and clicking on random content folders to see if there are any potential differing response times).  If anything doesn't go as expected you can then simply uninstall, reset your library (discarding anything you did in 4.10), then reinstall the 4.8 version and go back to where you were.  And if 4.10 works great after testing, start using it.

Thank you! I hope your advice can serve others as well.

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434
    edited February 2018

Hi,

Title pretty much says it all. I am considering upgrading from 4.8 to 4.10 due to the improvements made on 4.10.

Are there any negative aspects I should expect?

there are some points related to iRay:
    - slower rendering for CPU-only,
    - loss of 3D surface details for displacement sub-D,
    - refraction bug still not solved,

Post edited by AndyS on