BRYCE RENDERING CHALLENGE May "UNEXPECTED"

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: I think the additional clouds tell more of what's happening. From the looks of the clouds, the ships are coming out of a fog or heavy haze and into sunlight. This helps the viewer better understand what's occurring.

Gave the Borg interior another go. Tried several different things to get a better render, but it wasn't until I used Premium effects and rendered at 256 RPP that it looked much better. Then it was off to GIMP for a bit of a touch-up. As I remember the interior of the Borg Cube, it was rather dark and foreboding, and that's how this turned out after a bit of trying untested GIMP actions. You be the judge(s).

Cube_n_Cube_4_6_Sig.png
    1110 x 840 - 2M
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Wow Guss! Extremely well done!

• JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Welcome jonathan, nice to see you around in this friendly place. Good start. Here's a small tip: if you have a scene from which you want to take over objects into another, just select what you need, group them, copy to the clipboard (ctrl-c ), open the destination document and paste (ctrl-v) the stuff into it, then ungroup. If you quit Bryce, what is in the clipboard is deleted. Neither does it work to have two instances of Bryce open and copy from one to the other.

Thank you Horo the tip worked! Here is the result. Composition is a bit boring so I am going to try to add some interest while sticking to the same theme.

The foliage is still dull and lifeless though -- even when rendered close up. No transparency and few or no specular highlights. I found your (and Rashad Carter's) 2009 mini tutorial on modeling trees and ecosystems online so will see if I can absorb anything from that. If you have anything else about rendering foliage out there for free or purchase please let me know.

One oddity with the palm imported from Daz is that just opening the material editor for the palm seemingly destroys the link to the transparency map, causing it to look like a banana tree like in my first post. Do you know of any way to avoid that for imported foliage with transparency maps?

Palm_closeup.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 115K
    Dunes_with_palm_and_rex.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 79K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,110
    edited December 1969

@jonathan - good to hear that it helped. Now for the transparency - it usually works over the bridge from Studio to Bryce. I have just moved some flowers over. Now check the 3 points:

1: Click here to open the drop down.

2: Make sure Blend Transparency is ticked.

3: Make sure the dot in Transparency is set to the texture for the palm leaves.

Not visible because hidden behind the drop down is the texture. There are 3 thumbnails. The left one has the colours, the middle one the alpha map (and this is responsible for transparency) and the right one for bump.

Transp.jpg
    635 x 504 - 66K
  • MrSilusMrSilus Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Wow, this challenge is moving much faster than the other one! Great work by everyone!

I, on the other hand, am still flooded with work and have had almost no time to do anything in Bryce :(
    I just hope I can finish the project I started a few days ago for this challenge!

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @jonathan - good to hear that it helped. Now for the transparency - it usually works over the bridge from Studio to Bryce. I have just moved some flowers over. Now check the 3 points:

1: Click here to open the drop down.

2: Make sure Blend Transparency is ticked.

3: Make sure the dot in Transparency is set to the texture for the palm leaves.

Not visible because hidden behind the drop down is the texture. There are 3 thumbnails. The left one has the colours, the middle one the alpha map (and this is responsible for transparency) and the right one for bump.

Thank you! I will try the full menu as soon as I can, it may be a while . . part way there for now.

Dunes_transparent_palm.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 74K
    edited December 1969

@Rashad: Thank you very much, but I can only take credit for the post work, the rest is just material, camera placement, and my fingers crossed. Oh, and TLBKlaus's setup. If you saw this image the first time I posted it, you'll notice it was foggy(?) and didn't have enough crispness. GIMP is the only editor I can afford, and use it only for resizing images and as of late, putting my sig onto my images. So I played around with the available controls and came up with what you see. I'm an extremely happy camper with the results. So, is resistance futile?

I've been playing around with the Lens Group for the Spherical Mapper and have discovered those materials/textures with building/techno features work best. The colored patterns don't have what it takes for what I'm doing. Here's one that really surprised me when it rendered.

Star_n_Cube_5_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
  • mx42bmx42b Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Title: This is Going to Hurt

All objects came with Bryce7.1
    Only post work was the addition of a tag line and the conversion from .bmp to .jpg

Baddayxx1.jpg
    1114 x 829 - 101K
    edited December 1969

I've been working a bit for this challenge. This WIP needs still a bit of care.

Arch-wip1.jpg
    800 x 533 - 136K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I've been working some more on my "Unextected Birth of a New Land"

Didn't manage to get any more quite such clear faces in my volumetrics, but there are a couple of hazy ones.

birth_of_a_new_land.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 381K
    edited December 1969

@mx4b2: Nice work. Yeah, that would hurt.

@Horo: Interesting piece of work.

@Pam: I think that one hits the nail on the head. With an eruption that close to water there'd be steam from lava going into the water.

edited December 1969

An unexpected study in palm trees: Left to right, Lisa's, Bryce's, Monsanto's. Monsanto's is a splice of Lisa's truck to Rigged Hand imported as a .obj from Blend Swap, via Blender.

Study_in_Palms.jpg
    1514 x 1060 - 109K
    edited December 1969

The leaves on the right one look quite solid, like hands. :lol:

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

So if you want to know what was unexpected. You'll have to watch the video ;)

Bryce Landscaping - Geocrafting guide - by David Brinnen

Click on image to view full size.

Isle_in_fog_5.jpg
    1700 x 680 - 633K
  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

The secret life of the terrain editor,.. thanks for the vid David, excellent stuff, sometimes I use the picture editor to blend the terrains or even to copy various stages so as to go back after experiments, as I do with the animation panel sometimes, I like watching you work, it really helps to get a grasp, great to see the overhang formation develop with the lattice, I have had some success with Autodesk Meshmixer to obtain similar structures although here it is not relevant as it's far more interesting to create inside of Bryce.

edited December 1969

Another attempt to enter the competition this month.

Arch-wip2.jpg
    800 x 533 - 160K
    edited December 1969

The secret life of the terrain editor,.. thanks for the vid David, excellent stuff, sometimes I use the picture editor to blend the terrains or even to copy various stages so as to go back after experiments, as I do with the animation panel sometimes, I like watching you work, it really helps to get a grasp, great to see the overhang formation develop with the lattice, I have had some success with Autodesk Meshmixer to obtain similar structures although here it is not relevant as it's far more interesting to create inside of Bryce.

Thank you, I'm glad you found the video useful. It was a bit of a trial to make. Almost impossible to keep short. And took far too many retries due to not getting useful results of making mistakes and not being able to recover due to the lack of sequential undo in the TE.

Horo. Good work, the cloud shape echoing the lattice form. A clever composition choice I hope you'll say or a happy accident?

edited December 1969

Horo. Good work, the cloud shape echoing the lattice form. A clever composition choice I hope you'll say or a happy accident?

Thank you. I rotated the HDRI and fell in love with the position of the cloud. I'm not yet there and still work on it a bit on and off.
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Another attempt to enter the competition this month.

I would like to see it more in the ground - so it blends in
    nice model

edited December 1969

@David: That is a very informative video, and the resulting image looks like a dinosaur feeding.

@Horo: The cloud is neat looking, though the pillars(?) give me the impression of two old geezers having a go at each other. Overall look is really great.

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

I thought I might try.

!Unexpected_Contest_001.jpg
    525 x 700 - 398K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

That's a neat looking render.

Though if I saw a sign like that I'd totally expect to see bears. :-)

edited December 1969

@Lord Ganthor: Nice image. Hope she doesn't turn around or the sight will be unexpected.

edited December 1969

It's a good scene, but I think Dave makes a valid point here. If it had been an alien instead of a bear... But maybe we are missing the unexpected thing?

edited December 1969

That's a nice one, Lord Ganthor.

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

It's a good scene, but I think Dave makes a valid point here. If it had been an alien instead of a bear... But maybe we are missing the unexpected thing?

I was raised in "Bear Country" (within range of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park) and it seemed the tourists ignored the such signs thinking that they were left over from times past and bears these days were long gone. Little did they realize...When one did appear they acted so surprised and startled...almost like it was unexpected!

However, the alien idea does have merit...

edited December 1969

I was raised in "Bear Country" (within range of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park) and it seemed the tourists ignored the such signs thinking that they were left over from times past and bears these days were long gone. Little did they realize...When one did appear they acted so surprised and startled...almost like it was unexpected!

However, the alien idea does have merit...

I found this clip for you, it's from a Radio 4 comedy series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrEPHmebR1g&list=PL5CDBF659ADC68D06 About bears...

edited December 1969

Funny :lol:

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Link snagged for inclusion in the Stupid thread. Thanks for the laugh David.

edited December 1969

Now there are some lyrics I'd not heard before. :lol:

Worked another tutorial, ended up piddling around with it to finally get the image below. This was the first of 12, some are in the show us your renders thread, I've made so far. This one lends itself to nice changes just by repositioning the camera.

Rocks_2_Sig.png
    750 x 750 - 734K