3D Comic Book Tips And Pictures

Comments

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    edited January 2018

Taike a look at 3DCoat. I have 3DC and love it. Much more intuitive than ZBrush and 1/2 the price... There is ZB Core as well which is a little more than $100 USA. It is often bundled with Wacom Intuous tablets.

Post edited by kenmo on
  • magicjavamagicjava Posts: 152
    edited January 2018
    kenmo said:

Taike a look at 3DCoat. I have 3DC and love it. Much more intuitive than ZBrush and 1/2 the price... There is ZB Core as well which is a little more than $100 USA. It is often bundled with Wacom Intuous tablets.

I'll give 3DCoat a try. I have some complex shapes I created in Mathematica that I haven't been able to UV map using normal 3d software. Maybe the "paint it on" approach will work.

---

I was releasing copies of one of my comic books on the NPR thread. I figured I'd move that over here. Seems like the right place to do it.

This is Issue 3 of Heroes of the Wild Frontier. In this issue, the alien race known as the Greys is coming to Earth, bringing a device that can detect the shape-shifting Imagions.  But before they can deliver it to Captain Æther, they are attacked. While the team is recruiting new members, they are also attacked. 

This issue brings together the new team for the first time. We also get the chance to learn more about the backstory of Straight Arrow. I believe the Straight Arrow picture below was my first ever Iray render.

Post edited by magicjava on
  • Hi All, very pleased I found this thread - been looking for one like this for a while!

I'm working on my comic 'The Cosmic Outpost' using Daz and in the end Topaz sudio to achieve the effect I'm after for my story. If Prisma was slightly more adjustable I'd probably use that!

10112017_R01.jpg
    801 x 1200 - 87K

Hi All, very pleased I found this thread - been looking for one like this for a while!

I'm working on my comic 'The Cosmic Outpost' using Daz and in the end Topaz sudio to achieve the effect I'm after for my story. If Prisma was slightly more adjustable I'd probably use that!

Welcome Alex. I look forward to seeing more of your comic as you develop it.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

@ magicjava  great thread thanks for starting it _ i will be loitering

head wax said:

@ magicjava  great thread thanks for starting it _ i will be loitering

*thumbs up*

• RARA Posts: 78

@magicjava Love the title font on your cover. Don't know much about making covers. To me, yours looks professional.

edited January 2018

Tip: Spicing Up Bland Renders With Photoshop Actions

Photoshop actions are an easy way to spice up bland renders. You can buy professionally made actions from places like GraphicsRiver. A few before/after pictures are provided below to give you an idea of what actions can do for you.

Shimmer action.

WaveLength action

SketchIt action used on image from a previous post.

SketchIt action with the original image on top at 50% opacity.

SketchIt action with the original image on top and overlay set to Vivid Light.

I found this tutorial http://www.gimptalk.com/index.php?/topic/49450-tutorial-comic-making-using-mypaint-gimp-and-inkscape/ and substituted Daz Studio and Blender for mypaint. 

Using Gimp>Color>Levels allows me to create that warm tone I want for my graphic novel.  Here are Daz Render and Gimp post work images.

why2.png
    939 x 978 - 2M
    pg12pnl3new.jpg
    939 x 978 - 1M
    RA said:

@magicjava Love the title font on your cover. Don't know much about making covers. To me, yours looks professional.

Thank you, Ra. I'm glad you like it.

edited January 2018
    RA said:

I found this tutorial http://www.gimptalk.com/index.php?/topic/49450-tutorial-comic-making-using-mypaint-gimp-and-inkscape/ and substituted Daz Studio and Blender for mypaint. 

Using Gimp>Color>Levels allows me to create that warm tone I want for my graphic novel.  Here are Daz Render and Gimp post work images.

Looks very nice. Thanks again. :)

I'd not heard of Inkscape before, and I could use a free vector graphics program. How do you like it?

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755

Those are dope.

edited February 2018

Those are dope.

The actions? Yeah, they can add a lot to a picture. They have fireballs,explosions,dust storms, and a whole lot more.

I like the look of your Annihilators comic. The art is sweet.

magicjava said:
    RA said:

I'd not heard of Inkscape before, and I could use a free vector graphics program. How do you like it?

@magicjava, I use Inkscape to create speech bubbles and text in .svg format. I downloaded a free comic font , VTC Letterer Pro, and loaded into Inkscape.  The tutorial I mentioned demo d some basic operations in Inkscape. It was a bit of a learning curve but I like the clean text and speech. Attached is a reduced size sample.

Gpg12draft.png
    900 x 1380 - 3M
  • RA said:
    magicjava said:
    RA said:

@magicjava, I use Inkscape to create speech bubbles and text in .svg format. I downloaded a free comic font , VTC Letterer Pro, and loaded into Inkscape.  The tutorial I mentioned demo d some basic operations in Inkscape. It was a bit of a learning curve but I like the clean text and speech. Attached is a reduced size sample.

I'll definitely give InkScape a try. I just downloaded it. And I see what you mean by the warm look on the skin. It's a nice effect.

edited February 2018

You can now download Issue 4 of Heroes of the Wild Frontier

The Heroes travel to the sun to obtain gravitex, a special anti-gravity substance that will be used to bargin with Frater Typhon for Robot Girl. Along the way they must battle plasma dragons, creatures that live on the sun that are the source of gravitex.

In our backup story, after the town Sheriff is murdered, Straight Arrow must battle Skin Walker, a blood thirsty creature from the dark dimension known as the Beyond, in order to protect the citizens of Roswell, New Mexico.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited February 2018

I jut noticed this thread... the examples look great, everyone! It's really interesting how many different styles you can get out of a rendered image.

I've started with two webcomics - initially it was just to be one, but my co-author and I realized that the two different timezones each needed its own playground. On the bright side, this now means a better flow. On the downside, I am now rendering twice the number of images per week, as two pages need to be completed. For the one comic, I have zero buffer, image wise. The other has a few pages of buffer, but it's a struggle to maintain that buffer.

How much of a buffer do you have for your work? How far ahead do you plan your renders/scenes/stories?

Here's an example page - the newest page of Demon Division, only completed last Friday...

Post edited by BeeMKay on
    magicjava said:
    RA said:
    magicjava said:
    RA said:

I'll definitely give InkScape a try. I just downloaded it. And I see what you mean by the warm look on the skin. It's a nice effect.

Love Inkscape but I have not used it in a couple of years. Nice, cool & free vector app to have in the toolkit...

edited February 2018

I previously posted this in the More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II) thread  and thought I should post it here as well...

Tony Leonard is a very talented comic book artist and 2D illustrator that uses 3D (ZBrush) and 2D (Photoshop) in creating his images.

Take a peek at his Artstation page

And this will give you an appreciation for his talent...

Webinars Tony has done for Pixologic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHQvh0oCMCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnJzoxLo2Fc&t=1043s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdmVdaKS8mo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEgf2HT-r2U

There are a few other videos Tony has done on youtube as well on this process....

Post edited by kenmo on
    edited February 2018
    BeeMKay said:

I jut noticed this thread... the examples look great, everyone! It's really interesting how many different styles you can get out of a rendered image.

I've started with two webcomics - initially it was just to be one, but my co-author and I realized that the two different timezones each needed its own playground. On the bright side, this now means a better flow. On the downside, I am now rendering twice the number of images per week, as two pages need to be completed. For the one comic, I have zero buffer, image wise. The other has a few pages of buffer, but it's a struggle to maintain that buffer.

How much of a buffer do you have for your work? How far ahead do you plan your renders/scenes/stories?

Here's an example page - the newest page of Demon Division, only completed last Friday...

Very nice renders, Bee. I like your attention to detail and hope you can post more when you get the chance.

I don't have a "buffer", per se, as I don't have deadlines. I do mine stuff as a hobby. That said, I'm currently working on 3 different comic series that span aboout 30 or 40 years, comic book time. Once I set to work on a book, it takes about a month to produce one 26 page comic. It'd take about half that if I had a decent computer (another thing on my wish list).

I don't really plan my books, per se, so much as I have these ideas in my head and have to create the books just to get them out of my head. I tried actual planning with scripts and such. I'm not good at it. The closest I get to an actual plan is doing a rough hand-drawn sketch of a book.

An example of my "process" is the robot woman/robot girl picture at the end of the first page of this thread. Because I'm so familiar with that character, I just know that event occured. Eventually that picture, or one very close to it, will find its way into a book.

kenmo said:

I previously posted this in the More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II) thread  and thought I should post it here as well...

Tony Leonard is a very talented comic book artist and 2D illustrator that uses 3D (ZBrush) and 2D (Photoshop) in creating his images.

Take a peek at his Artstation page

And this will give you an appreciation for his talent...

Webinars Tony has done for Pixologic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHQvh0oCMCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnJzoxLo2Fc&t=1043s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdmVdaKS8mo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEgf2HT-r2U

There are a few other videos Tony has done on youtube as well on this process....

Wow. He's really good. Here's a couple of pictures from his site...

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Very cool work BeeMKay! went to your page an will have a look there!

As for your questions, I have 4 pages prepared right now ( on dA I post scraps rather close after finishing) but I fear that will shrink faster that I like once I start publishing as I unfortunately take longer than a wee to prepare the renders for the next page. But I hope I can avoid getting under too much pressure.

I have my store written, finished 38 pages of scrip in November. there is room for some small adjustments or little diversions I thing are needed at the time I will do it but everything written will be needed to make it complete.

I started planning out pages in the transcrip. My original plan was to have the transcript finished for the first part by February, that didn't work out. In the oment I'm just some pages ahead of the renders.

For the first part I have the crucial scene setting and important personel ready in DS, but I find that there are still quite some adjustments that take more time than I like. I could wat a bit longer but then I'm as well itchy to get the stuff out there and see the reaction.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755
    edited February 2018

Thanks. I played around with the magazine cover idea.

Here's what I came up with.

I designed a bunch of my own magazine covers and basically followed their rules for makiing them.

I hope this thread continues and eventually more pop up on Daz.

Magazine_Cover_SUPER2.jpg
    1159 x 1500 - 686K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited February 2018

Here's a promo for a comic in the works...its not your typical comic.  The creator hopes to gather some skills in Clip Studio this year to aid in the production.

tperhTakesOnP2.png
    1200 x 1800 - 1M
    Post edited by evilded777 on
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited February 2018

And just one more promo for Topher Takes On...

redSox.png
    3200 x 2133 - 539K
    Post edited by evilded777 on
    edited February 2018

Thanks. I played around with the magazine cover idea.

Here's what I came up with.

I designed a bunch of my own magazine covers and basically followed their rules for makiing them.

I hope this thread continues and eventually more pop up on Daz.

OMG! I LOVE the closeup! What a great idea! And the flag in the background. I actually had a flag as a 3D model in the original scene, but took it out because it was just noisey. Putting it in the background is the way to go! Thanks!

EDIT: The all protien diet that keeps them fighting fit! So much awesome!

EDIT 2: If you'd like to do a post on your rules for magazine covers, you're more than welcome. I'd love to see them.

edited February 2018

Here's a promo for a comic in the works...its not your typical comic.  The creator hopes to gather some skills in Clip Studio this year to aid in the production.

You're off to a very good start. That pose has tons of character!

edited February 2018

So if anyone else would like to try their hand at creating a Super magazine cover, here's the render for the characters.

I hope you guys take up the challenge, I'd love to see what you can do!

Comic book authoer and artist Jason Brubaker on his youtube channel has a video showing how he uses 3D props to assist in creating his art...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsHarhz0DQ&t=16s

edited February 2018

TIP: Character Personalities

I have a lot of characters in my comic universe, over 100. Suprisingly, I know most of them pretty well, but sometimes I have only a general idea of who they are when I first create them. In cases like that, this is a simple trick I use to give the character a clear personality.

The trick is to use personalities from existing people to build the new personality.

For example, to create the character Miss Muscles, who's a female body builder active in the 1940s, I combined the personalities of Marlene Dietrich with the modern day female body builder Melissa Dettwiller. From Marlene Dietrich she inherits her masculine personality  and willingness to challenge social norms. From Melissa Dettwiller she inherits her outgoingness, strong sexuality, and desire for attention.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

That is a very importatn tip to have an idea of how the characters work internally, which motivation do they have to do this or that. The concept you suggest sounds like fun.

Whoever is interested, you can find my comic now by clicking on the banner in my signature. Right now its only the beginning, I lauched this today